What age should a student be allowed to lift?

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

What age should a student be allowed to lift?

Postby classB4ever » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:16 pm

Here is a question for everyone. What age should a parent allow their children to start lifting weights. I have been a firm believer of not before their sophomore year and maybe even summer going into junior year. After watching numerous games this year, I have noticed young men in 7th and 8th grade who are completely ripped. I know there are certain circumstances and some kids mature faster then others.
So, to all you weight lifting coaches, football coaches and anybody in the business: If kids want to start lifting earlier, what restrictions would you put on it or would you allow it at all?
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: What age should a student be allowed to lift?

Postby Indy5 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:31 pm

I would say summer going into frehsman year is fine. The thing that has to be done, no matter what age they start, is have someone there to teach them all the lifts so they do them properly. And to always have a spotter.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:42 pm

If they know how to do the lifts properly with full range of motion, etc... you can actually start them with lighter weights & more repetitions (10 - 12 reps per set) when they are in Jr High. (summer after their 7th grade year) But they really shouldn't be lifting heavy (6 - 8 reps per set) until HS.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:44 am

You are not going to gain much for size and bulk until you reach puberty, which can vary by a year or two for different kids, but learning the lifts in jr high is great useing the proper form and full range of motion.

However growing up on the farm I did a ton of heavy lifting before during and after puberty, bales, feed, rocks, fence posts etc. climbing trees, hay stacks, etc. learning muscle memory at a young age made me much stronger later in life.

So I don't think lifting a reasonable amount of weight at a younger age is as harmful as sitting on a chair playing vidio games, through your pre pubesent years.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:16 am

Sportsrube wrote:If they know how to do the lifts properly with full range of motion, etc... you can actually start them with lighter weights & more repetitions (10 - 12 reps per set) when they are in Jr High. (summer after their 7th grade year) But they really shouldn't be lifting heavy (6 - 8 reps per set) until HS.

Why?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:58 pm

At the JR High age their joints (ligaments, tendons, etc...) are still developing and lifting heavy weights can cause damage whereas lifting lighter weights with more repetitions will start building strength without putting so much stress on their joints. We have a number of JR High kids lifting under the supervision of coaches, PE teachers and our Physical Therapist from the local hospital and it has worked out very well for us. We only let them lift 2 days a week and they follow a pretty set lifting regimine, that way we can try and control the amount of stress on their joints. You also need to tell young kids that the motto "No pain, No gain" is a load of garbage in the weight room, if it hurts you are lifting too much weight or not using proper form.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indy5 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:35 pm

Sportsrube wrote:At the JR High age their joints (ligaments, tendons, etc...) are still developing and lifting heavy weights can cause damage whereas lifting lighter weights with more repetitions will start building strength without putting so much stress on their joints. We have a number of JR High kids lifting under the supervision of coaches, PE teachers and our Physical Therapist from the local hospital and it has worked out very well for us. We only let them lift 2 days a week and they follow a pretty set lifting regimine, that way we can try and control the amount of stress on their joints. You also need to tell young kids that the motto "No pain, No gain" is a load of garbage in the weight room, if it hurts you are lifting too much weight or not using proper form.

You can tell that to junior high kids, but high school kids need to feel a certain type of pain. Maybe not necessarily a pain, but if they aren't failing on their last set, they're on lifting enough to get the most out of it.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:13 am

As far as What age should a Kid start lifting? To answer this question in a broad form I would say 15-16, if your voice has changed and you are well on your way to Maturity ....and thats what I would say If the question also is pertaining to Seriously lifting 5 to 6 days a week, make sure you are with a professional trainer to get you going....also don't look to build bulk if you have a high metabolism and you are naturally ripped, it will take way more calories than you think it will (Shakes and such)...If you are beefy to start with than its a conversion process Body Fat into Muscle...you may even drop in weight but you will Have way more strength because of the conversion.
Before Maturity or Puberty its just conditioning...you don't want to be Micro tearing Muscle at that age...you can do permanent damage.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:12 pm

Indy5 wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:At the JR High age their joints (ligaments, tendons, etc...) are still developing and lifting heavy weights can cause damage whereas lifting lighter weights with more repetitions will start building strength without putting so much stress on their joints. We have a number of JR High kids lifting under the supervision of coaches, PE teachers and our Physical Therapist from the local hospital and it has worked out very well for us. We only let them lift 2 days a week and they follow a pretty set lifting regimine, that way we can try and control the amount of stress on their joints. You also need to tell young kids that the motto "No pain, No gain" is a load of garbage in the weight room, if it hurts you are lifting too much weight or not using proper form.

You can tell that to junior high kids, but high school kids need to feel a certain type of pain. Maybe not necessarily a pain, but if they aren't failing on their last set, they're on lifting enough to get the most out of it.

Agreed, the pain I am talking about is the sharp sudden pain caused by lifting too much or incorrectly. The pain from having thoroughly exhausted your muscles is the goal if you want to get bigger/stronger.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby cubsfan » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:48 pm

I think it is beneficial for students to start lifting in junior high. I believe it should start out learning from phy ed teacher or a coach. Once they get the basics down I believe they can start going full force freshman year.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby wildcatfan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:52 pm

As long as they are supervised by someone with knowledge about Muscle building and the anatomy of the body they can definately start lifting in Junior High. Where I see the problem is that a lot of coaches don't know what or how to lift. Someone already stated about the number of reps needed and is right on with the numbers of reps needed in Junior high and High school.

Everyone is worried about their "1 Rep Max" which is an aweful lift, and doesn't do any good athletically, except for maybe setting a foundation. The other thing I see too much of is kids lifting everyday, they need to give their bodies rest (which is when the muscle fibers repair themselves). I beleive that HS and JH kids should only be lifting 3 times a week and never on consecutive days, to give them the rest they need.
wildcatfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby jtdc492 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:49 pm

Most kids from elementary thru high school could get by marvelously with just body weight exercises and plyometrics. Most kids I've seen can't do 20 good push ups or any pull ups. If a kid is doing "body lifts" then maybe he could graduate to weights. I haven't seen any studies that show any detrimental effects from weight training at a young age. But I'd be more concerned with kids doing exercises that promote overall coordination and total body strength. Check out Crossfit workouts on youtube. Workouts of this type improve overall fitness by taxing aerobic and anaerobic systems while improving power.
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Postby ND_beast » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:40 pm

I would say that sixth grade should be the earliest a student should start lifting (with supervision of course). that is when I started and it has been fine
ND_beast
NDPreps Starter

Postby Steve1234 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:46 am

according to me 18 is the prime age for weight lifting , in this age you body is really capable of picking weight...
Steve1234
NDPreps Rookie

Postby debra123 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:27 am

Some experts warn that weight training at a young age can damage a child’s growth plates. And that concern has merit. “The dangers to growth plates. Smart strength training is absolutely acceptable—as long as the right exercises are chosen and that the youth has an appropriate level of base strength and mobility.
Exposure to a variety of sports and fitness-based games—such as tag and tug of war—is the best approach for younger kids,But as they reach that middle and high school age, you can start implementing more of a structured approach to strength training."
debra123
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:19 pm

IMO the parents need to consult a good training for their young man/woman. I've seen some young ones that look like a man child (Quvale-Wiliston) and some of the ones need to watch out for not to get broke into two pieces... But a good solid trainer will know what type of training the individual can do with or without weights.
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:03 am

Mighty-Mouse wrote:IMO the parents need to consult a good training for their young man/woman. I've seen some young ones that look like a man child (Quvale-Wiliston) and some of the ones need to watch out for not to get broke into two pieces... But a good solid trainer will know what type of training the individual can do with or without weights.

Agreed. If you're in the Minot area, Caleb Heilman is excellent with developing athletes.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Return to Hot Topics