Are the Firebirds for real???

Teams of the East

Are the Firebirds for real???

Postby slapshot » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:49 am

Let me know what you think about the east standings so far. Devils Lake is 6 -0. Do they have a chance to be 7 - 0 after Red River?
slapshot
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Are the Firebirds for real???

Postby ih8gophers » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:46 am

Yes I think they are for real. This group of kids were part of that Bantam team that took 2nd at the A1 state tourney in I believe 08 minus their leading scorer that year who is playing in Bottineau now. They are a big strong team and Keaton Thompson is a stud. I don't know if they will beat RR but I think they will compete with them. I guess we will see come tuesday.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:10 am

Red River 5
Devils Lake 2
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Clark17 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:12 am

Must be moderating tonight. It was all in good humor, Milnor 69, FCT 44. Thanx for the score.
Clark17
NDPreps Starter

Postby Clark17 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:15 am

Is Keaton Thompson really going to play with the Force after the high school season? Saw it on another post, Sioux Sports. I heard he went in the WHL bantam draft this past year. The kid is only a freshman. He must be the real deal. Any info please.
Clark17
NDPreps Starter

Postby MoSiouxFan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:18 am

Does Keaton Thompson joining the Force after the conclusion of the high school season imply that he won't play for Devils Lake next year?
MoSiouxFan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ih8gophers » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:56 am

MoSiouxFan wrote:Does Keaton Thompson joining the Force after the conclusion of the high school season imply that he won't play for Devils Lake next year?

Not sure on the ruling on that. I know back in the 90's a kid could play a certain amount of games and still be eligible to play high school. I think Jeff Panzer and Tim O'connel both did it their b4 their jr year for the F-M Bears and then went on to win a state title with central. Not 100% sure on that though.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby MoSiouxFan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:27 pm

ih8gophers wrote:
MoSiouxFan wrote:Does Keaton Thompson joining the Force after the conclusion of the high school season imply that he won't play for Devils Lake next year?

Not sure on the ruling on that. I know back in the 90's a kid could play a certain amount of games and still be eligible to play high school. I think Jeff Panzer and Tim O'connel both did it their b4 their jr year for the F-M Bears and then went on to win a state title with central. Not 100% sure on that though.

Thanks for the feedback.
MoSiouxFan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportshound » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:35 am

Re: Playing in Juniors and returning to HS hockey.
This is what I understand--
A Player can play: After his HS Season is complete.He can also play prior to his HS season.
Can't play anytime for a Junior team between the First day of Practice for HS and last day of season(as deemed by NDHS hockey- NDHSAA)
It does not matter how many games are played.... ie: Nick Oliver played for the Force-returned to play for Roseau his senior yr. Then back to Force after his HS season concluded.
I would venture a bet that K.Thompson, if he shows well in the spring with the Force, that he will not return to Devils Lake. He would be playing with them starting next fall fulltime.
Good For him. I have seen him play a number of games this season--very poised, smart and Ok size. He is a young player. Tall and Big upside.
"You can tell a man is clever by his answers. You can tell a man is wise by his questions." Naguib Mahfouz (1911- ) Egyptian novelist, Nobel Prize Laureate
Sportshound
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ih8gophers » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:55 pm

I also heard that this kid has a legitimate shot at making the us under 17 team next year. I guess he was a top 8 defenceman at the national select festival. It would be pretty cool if he did make that team, i don't think there has been a player from nd in that program since Quinn Fylling, not sure though.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby ih8gophers » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Sportshound wrote:Re: Playing in Juniors and returning to HS hockey.
A Player can play: After his HS Season is complete.He can also play prior to his HS season.
Can't play anytime for a Junior team between the First day of Practice for HS and last day of season(as deemed by NDHS hockey- NDHSAA)
It does not matter how many games are played.... ie: Nick Oliver played for the Force-returned to play for Roseau his senior yr. Then back to Force after his HS season concluded.
I would venture a bet that K.Thompson, if he shows well in the spring with the Force, that he will not return to Devils Lake. He would be playing with them starting next fall fulltime.
Good For him. I have seen him play a number of games this season--very poised, smart and Ok size. He is a young player. Tall and Big upside.

Well I guess we are both wrong. Here is a link to an article in the Tribune about 2 Bismarck kids who tried to come back after playing jrs. http://www.bismarcktribune.com/sports/h ... 002e0.html
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby penguinshockey15 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:11 pm

ih8gophers wrote:

Well I guess we are both wrong. Here is a link to an article in the Tribune about 2 Bismarck kids who tried to come back after playing jrs. http://www.bismarcktribune.com/sports/h ... 002e0.html

Here are the rules, from what I understand:

A player needs to attend a school for 180 days after a move or school change to play a varsity level sport, so once they're gone, there's no coming back.

A player can do a 10-10 deal where they play 10 games of jr's before season, return to HS season in full, and play 10 more after their season

A player may just do the after season 10 games if they didn't start the season with them.
penguinshockey15
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ih8gophers » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:22 pm

penguinshockey15 wrote:
ih8gophers wrote:

Here are the rules, from what I understand:

A player needs to attend a school for 180 days after a move or school change to play a varsity level sport, so once they're gone, there's no coming back.

A player can do a 10-10 deal where they play 10 games of jr's before season, return to HS season in full, and play 10 more after their season

A player may just do the after season 10 games if they didn't start the season with them.

Yes. But to come back and play the player must not have transferred to a different school and then come back otherwise they have to sit 180 days. So is Keaton Thompson gonna commute from Fargo to DL everyday? I wouldn't think so, so I would guess his playing days at DL are over in about a week.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby penguinshockey15 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:30 am

so I would guess his playing days at DL are over in about a week.

I'd have to agree.
penguinshockey15
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bball4lifeisme » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:54 am

Devils lake is not for real.. They have some good athletes on that team but the head coach on that team is the worst coach in the state he has no idea what he is doing if u watch him at games he doesn't watch half of the game. He sits behind the bench and pouts. If devils lake had a half decent coach they would be for real.
bball4lifeisme
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ih8gophers » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:58 am

bball4lifeisme wrote:Devils lake is not for real.. They have some good athletes on that team but the head coach on that team is the worst coach in the state he has no idea what he is doing if u watch him at games he doesn't watch half of the game. He sits behind the bench and pouts. If devils lake had a half decent coach they would be for real.

Really? Your first post on the forum and you start bashing a coach. When you prove that you have some hockey knowledge you can start bashing untill then shut your hole.
ih8gophers
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:02 pm

ih8gophers wrote:
bball4lifeisme wrote:Devils lake is not for real.. They have some good athletes on that team but the head coach on that team is the worst coach in the state he has no idea what he is doing if u watch him at games he doesn't watch half of the game. He sits behind the bench and pouts. If devils lake had a half decent coach they would be for real.

Really? Your first post on the forum and you start bashing a coach. When you prove that you have some hockey knowledge you can start bashing untill then shut your hole.

There is to be no bashing of teams, coaches, or players.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Return to EDC