Century

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Century

Postby Schmidty22 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:38 pm

Any comments on the Century Patriots they are legit this year the only team that can beat them is Bismarck in my eyes.
"I go out there and get my eyes gouged, my nose busted, my body slammed. I love the pain of the game."
Schmidty22
NDPreps Starter

Re: Century

Postby balla45 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:36 pm

Century is a very good team at this point in the season. The addition of Carson Wentz was huge, and Justin Ledger is playing out of his mind. I saw him doing very well this season, but 22 and 11 surprised me. I do not see BHS beating CHS at this point in the season. Dexter has been a consistent scorer, as has Fitterer, but Liggins, Talmadge, and Schirado have not shown consistent offensive success, and Liggins at the point has been turnover prone. Where with Century, Ledger, Wentz, Fraase, Melvie, and Rivinius have been solid in pretty much every game, and Maund at the point is averaging less than 1 turnover per game.

Mattern is doing a very good job.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby T$$ » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:18 pm

Interesing post. I agree that bhs is slightly better but only because of werner. The only edge century has is depth. If you compare by position it goes as follows. Werner over rivinius. Talmadge and wentz are even. Ledger over schirado. Fraase and fitterer even. Liggins over maund. Bench goes to chs. The big difference in a game would be dex dominating and liggins shutting down ledger.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:30 pm

I don't agree with this.

Look at an in game scenario. Dexter will get 20 and 10. Rivinius will get 10 boards. Talmadge might do something offensively, maybe. Wentz is a solid 8 and 8, every game, with a few assists thrown in. Fraase and Fitterer are a draw, I do agree with that. Ledger is averaging 22 and 11. Schirado is struggling. Liggins is a turnover machine, but has picked it up as of late. Maund does not score, but doesn't make mistakes. And CHS has a way deeper and better bench.

In my opinion, Ledger and Werner basically put up 20 and 10 each, but the rest of CHS outplays BHS. However, anything can happen in a basketball game. What should happen on paper doesn't always actually happen, I am learning that this season.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby T$$ » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:41 pm

Who would you rather have on your team, Maund or Liggins. I know who I would want guarding me.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:48 pm

Depends who else is on my team. Andre plays his role perfectly. I like point guards who don't have turnovers and are solid defensively. He has not been lit up this year. Liggins is better defensively, but 5 turnovers a game is way too much for my liking. At this point, I would rather have Maund running the show.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby T$$ » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:50 pm

I disagree completely that Maund is solid defensively. I will give you the fact that he does take care of the ball. On the WDA web Maund is averaging 5.4 points, 1.4 boards, has 18 assists, 5 turnovers, and 2 steals. Liggins averages 8.7 points, 7.2 rebounds, 13 assists, 28 turnovers, and 10 steals. I still think Liggins will only get better as the season progresses, as will Maund. DeWayne just have more of an up side in my opinion.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:25 pm

Andre Maund is a better point guard than Dewayne Liggins, and as long as they are both playing the point, I would rather have Andre on my team. If Dewayne was playing on the wing, he would be my pick, but as he is playing out of position at the point, I would much rather have Andre.

I have yet to see Andre get torched defensively, and from what I have seen, he does a good job.

P.S. Liggins is shooting 35% from the field, and 39% from the free throw line. I do not care how much he is scoring when he shoots with those percentages. Maund's percentages are not great, but as he does not need to score to be successful, that is less of a factor.

I do believe that Liggins has a much better chance to improve upon his numbers.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:47 pm

balla45 wrote:Andre Maund is a better point guard than Dewayne Liggins, and as long as they are both playing the point, I would rather have Andre on my team. If Dewayne was playing on the wing, he would be my pick, but as he is playing out of position at the point, I would much rather have Andre.

I have yet to see Andre get torched defensively, and from what I have seen, he does a good job.

P.S. Liggins is shooting 35% from the field, and 39% from the free throw line. I do not care how much he is scoring when he shoots with those percentages. Maund's percentages are not great, but as he does not need to score to be successful, that is less of a factor.

I do believe that Liggins has a much better chance to improve upon his numbers.

My two cents, Maund is better. He's playing the support role this year with the cast he has. Not taking anything away from him but his time is next year.

Dewayne is a very good player but can get out of control at time. Dewayne didn't had the opprtunity his Jr year as Maund has, if he had, IMO he would be more in tune with the plan and more under control. It's a big step from JV to varsity.
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Perfect Storm09 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:55 pm

DeWayne played a great deal of varsity last year.
"I don't know how many years I can steal this many bags, so I figure I've got to get 'em now."
The Perfect Storm09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby T$$ » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:27 pm

The best chance for century to win is this year. Nothing against andre but I still don't think he is an impact player. Against west fargo centurys guards were torched. Wf just couldn't handle centurys depth.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:35 pm

I agree with Century's best chance being this year. I do not believe that Andre is an impact player, but I do not think Dewayne has shown that he is either.

As of now, I have seen that Andre is a solid, no turnover point guard.
As of now, I have seen that Dewayne is athletic defensively.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:41 am

balla45 wrote:I agree with Century's best chance being this year. I do not believe that Andre is an impact player, but I do not think Dewayne has shown that he is either.

As of now, I have seen that Andre is a solid, no turnover point guard.
As of now, I have seen that Dewayne is athletic defensively.

Agree, but also I see Andre as a solid role player not as a star even next year.
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:54 pm

Could this be the year for Century to take Girls and Boys state title? comments!
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:39 pm

I could see Century boys winning it. I don't see the Century girls winning it. I like some of the teams in the EDC, but the WDA does seem to always win. I want to see Farroh play.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby T$$ » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:35 pm

I disagree with balla45 as I think Centurys girls are a clear favorite. I think the boys can also win but their are a lot of teams with a chance.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:11 am

I don't see the Century girls as a clear favorite. Yes, they are undefeated, but only beat Mandan by 5 and Turtle Mountain by 4. 4 and 5 points can simply be the way the game was called. Not officiation per se, but the amount of physicality allowed. If Century beats Mandan at Mandan and Turtle Mountain at Turtle Mountain, they become the favorite, in my opinion.

Grand Forks Central is still undefeated in the EDC, with a 2 time all stater leading that team.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby T$$ » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:31 am

I can't argue your logic. I don't know enough about gfc and won't comment as this is a boys forum. Back to the boys team. The more I think about their depth and balance the more I like them. Bismarck and dickinso are better in my opinion but only if dex and hansted have big games. If they are injured or in foul trouble chs has a clear edge. Fraase and wentz create enough offense if ledger is off. Mandan is also in the mix but lacks size although zinke and jans both play bigger than their height.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:42 am

I have to agree with you.

I think Dickinson is the best of the 5 teams when playing their best basketball. Dickinson is at their best when Joe has 25-35 and Moody/Abrahamson both put up 12-18. When the supporting cast does not show up, Dickinson becomes an average team.

Century is the most consistent team thus far, because they have so many weapons offensively, and compete defensively.

Bismarck goes as Talmadge/Liggins go. Werner and Fitterer are good for 30-35 a night, it just depends on the other 2.

Mandan is a very good team when Collins shows up offensively. Coyle is good for 16 a night, and Janz is going to get 12-14 most games. When Collins is getting 12-14, Mandan is a very good team, but when Collins does not score, Mandan struggles. I think these 3 need to be a consistent 45 points a night for Mandan to be successful.

Minot will be solid all season long. I don't see a single star winning for this team, but I believe they have the most success when there are 4-6 guys scoring 8-12 points each, and playing solid defense.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby T$$ » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:53 pm

Balla 45- very intelligent post. However you know as I do basketball is all about match ups. Some examples,
1. You have a Brian Kelpinski or Dexter Werner in the post, it creates open shots for guards.
2. Do you have a shut down defender to to bother the other teams best player (Liggins comes to mind)
3. Do you have a player that can score and create regardless of what the defense gives them? (Hansted, Coyle, Werner, Ledger)
Bottom line, what teams match up well/not well against each other. Strengths and Weaknesses.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:06 pm

Bismarck/Century - I think Century has a better match up in this game because they can rotate multiple 6'4''s on Dexter. Mattern is a smart coach and will not send a double team off of Fitterer. I think Liggins may be able to contain Ledger, as Rivinius may be able to contain Werner. I think this game goes to Century because of Century's many scoring options.

Bismarck/Mandan - These teams are a good match. Dexter will put up about 20 and 12 every time this game is played. Coyle always seems to be successful against BHS, so I do not see Liggins being a huge advantage here. This game basically comes down to Fitterer and Janz, and which one plays better.
Bismarck/Dickinson - I like Bismarck in this one at this point. No one has been able to stop Werner and Dickinson does not have size. Hanstad will probably get 40, but a team needs about 60 points to win. Have not seen a lot of consistency from the other Midgets.

Bismarck/Minot - Bismarck handled them at home. It will be a good game in Minot. Some weak fouls called on Crosby definitely changed the complexion of this game. Dean will definitely have something to throw at Dexter, and I would not be suprised to see Minot take this game.

Century/Mandan - Another good match up. I like Century in this one though, because Ledger is a tough match up for anyone on Mandan's team, and Century has size.

Century/Dickinson - I see this as a toss up. Century won the first match up, but they do not have the lock down defender to contain Hanstad. He is capable of putting 40 on them. 40 might be enough to beat a Century, because Century is not known to be a very high scoring team.

Century/Minot - These teams play the same style, in my opinion, but I think Century is executing the style with better players. Minot is very solid defensively, and this could come down to the last few possessions.

Mandan/Dickinson - I do not see anyone on Mandan being able to contain Hanstad. If Moody and Abrahamson show up, Dickinson should win. I would not be surprised to see both teams win at home in this one. Hanstad losing on senior night would surprise me.

Mandan/Minot - They match up well. Minot does not have an answer for Coyle, and Mandan does not have an answer for Adams. I think this game will come down to the last few possessions again.

Dickinson/Minot - I always like Dickinson in this game. If the game is in the 50s, I think Minot wins. If the game gets up to 70-80 points, I think Dickinson wins. I can not see Minot as a high scoring team.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby T$$ » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:50 pm

Another intelligent post from balla45. I disagree as follows.

1. Rivinius cannot contain Dexter. I think Wentz would do a better job on him.
2. I wasn't at the BHS Mandan game but I heard Liggins really bothered Coyle and shut him down. I know he had 17 but heard that he made 2 three's at the end when the game was basically over.
3. Minot- Is Max Murphy playing? He would be a difference maker for them. Without him they won't go far although they do have a talented sophmore class.
4. Varsity improvement. You have to remember that a lot of key players for teams don't have a lot of varsity experience. Players like Schirado (BHS), Janz and Westby (Mandan), Fraase (CHS), along with a few others that will be a surprise will be WAY better players in game situations 1 month from now. Mandan's junior class has probably lost more games this year than they did from 4th through 9th grade. I don't know if they can handle the adversity of losing, but if they do they will be tough.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:56 pm

1. I could see Rivinius doing a solid job keeping Werner off the boards. Dexter will still get 18 and 10, but I do not see him getting a 28 point 20 rebound game against Rivinius.
2. I was not there either. I really could not tell you what happened.
3. I think Murphy is out for the season.
4. I have to agree with pretty much all of this.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby T$$ » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:10 am

This has gone full circle. Since this topic is century can someone convince me why they can win a state title. I am not hating on them but just can't convince myself they will win.
T$$
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:50 am

3. Murphy is out for the season with back problems.
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Boys