Hit on Austin Collie... legal or not

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Hit on Austin Collie... legal or not

Postby tdog09 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:06 pm

I think that the referees made the right call. Input please
tdog09
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Hit on Austin Collie... legal or not

Postby baseball » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:47 pm

legal in my eyes. no defender lowered his head or launched. Collie caught the ball, took a few steps and put his head down. and thats when he got hit. not to mention it was a collision between him and 3 defenders all at one time. legal hit, just unfortunate.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan7 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:14 am

I agree with baseball that the hit was a legal hit just unfortunate. I also dont agree with Goodells new rules. Helmet to helmet contact should be bring about a fine but big hits are part of the game. But since the rule is in affect they should have a panel of atleast 3 people if not 5. If there was a panel of 5 people i think it should consist of Goodell and 2 former offensive players and 2 former defensive players.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:18 am

What about that penalty towards the end of the game when the defender glanced his hand on Peyton's helmet on 4th down? What a joke in my eyes!
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:26 am

bballfan7 wrote: If there was a panel of 5 people i think it should consist of Goodell and 2 former offensive players and 2 former defensive players.

Would make for an interesting round table...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:09 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:What about that penalty towards the end of the game when the defender glanced his hand on Peyton's helmet on 4th down? What a joke in my eyes!

Total Joke, remember Its Peyton
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:00 pm

The hit on Collie was a result of the first hit knocking Collie into the second defender. There was absolutely no intent by the second defender to hit Collie in the head. He did not lead with his helmet, he had his head up, he didn't launch himself. By today's rules it was illegal, but I don't think it should be illegal.

Same situation on the hit to Manning. By today's rules it's an automatic flag. The ref called it right. The debatable part is should there be some leeway in the rule for the ref to make a judgement on it.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:59 pm

Hinsa wrote:The hit on Collie was a result of the first hit knocking Collie into the second defender. There was absolutely no intent by the second defender to hit Collie in the head. He did not lead with his helmet, he had his head up, he didn't launch himself. By today's rules it was illegal, but I don't think it should be illegal.

Same situation on the hit to Manning. By today's rules it's an automatic flag. The ref called it right. The debatable part is should there be some leeway in the rule for the ref to make a judgement on it.

well its true that the head hunters of the league come and go......we are on an up cycle of hard hitters allot of high draft pick in the last 5 years have been corners and Linebackers and safety's...this also is why the Superbowl next February is up for grabs, the strong defenses have come to the surface and they are all competing for the top spot. Football is a brutal sport but if you try and control it to the point of more yellow flags, and more fines and more suspensions, its simply going to ruin it for the spectators, and the men that play that way.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:06 pm

I'm a Colts fan and hate to see him be injured again after just coming back from his thumb injury, but that hit was absolutely legal. Collie caught it, turned upfield and put his head down. He gets hit by one guy and richocets into another guy and just took the hit in the wrong way. Very unfortuante, but very legal.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Return to Hot Topics