Semifinals Matchups

The teams in Class AA.

Semifinals Matchups

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:31 pm

Valley City 6 @ Fargo Shanley 31
Carrington 12 @ Devils Lake 28
Last edited by Run4Fun2009 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Re: Semifinals Matchups

Postby Indy5 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:14 pm

Looks like a rematch of last year's title game.

Shanley by 30+
DL by 7
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby secondwind » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:00 pm

Shanley by 40+.

Much the same thing in Title game regardless if its Car. or DL.

Shanley would have legit shot at winning AAA Title this yr if they were in it.
secondwind
NDPreps Starter

Postby football101 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:22 pm

Shanley by 40, DL and Carrington close until half, then all DL. It will be a replay of last time, DL by 21
football101
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDsports35 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:02 am

No doubt in my mind Shanley would win by a big margin in AAA this year. They can score at will and they execute perfectly. They're on a whole 'nother level.
NDsports35
NDPreps Starter

Postby Stallng » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:03 am

Shanley by a bunch, they will win by a rediculous amount in this game and the state title game it will not even be close
Devils Lake by a couple scores
Stallng
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby digger » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:59 pm

NDsports35 wrote:No doubt in my mind Shanley would win by a big margin in AAA this year. They can score at will and they execute perfectly. They're on a whole 'nother level.

Shanley is a freight train in AA this year, no doubt about that. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they would win by a big margin in AAA. I've seen them twice, West Fargo, South, North, and Century as well. Their top end athletes are as good as the top guys in AAA. Their coaching is top notch. Depth and the skill level of the 2nd tier players is the issue. They would likely compete well this year in AAA, in my opinion they wouldn't dominate. This is in no way a knock on the AA teams but all of the better AAA teams would have the same results Shanley is if they were playing a AA schedule.
digger
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:34 pm

Agreed, that is why the four class system for football works so well in North Dakota.

Shanley would be a playoff team in AAA this year however, remember that if Shanely was still in AAA they would not have some of the kids playing for them now.

I think Devils Lake would have been a playoff team in AAA the last couple years too.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDsports35 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:10 pm

digger wrote:
NDsports35 wrote:No doubt in my mind Shanley would win by a big margin in AAA this year. They can score at will and they execute perfectly. They're on a whole 'nother level.

Shanley is a freight train in AA this year, no doubt about that. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they would win by a big margin in AAA. I've seen them twice, West Fargo, South, North, and Century as well. Their top end athletes are as good as the top guys in AAA. Their coaching is top notch. Depth and the skill level of the 2nd tier players is the issue. They would likely compete well this year in AAA, in my opinion they wouldn't dominate. This is in no way a knock on the AA teams but all of the better AAA teams would have the same results Shanley is if they were playing a AA schedule.

I disagree. While the talent range is different in AAA, I still believe Shanley would win all of their games. They scored 44 on Dickinson Trinity. They could've scored 80 on them if they wanted to. Their defense is just as talent filled as any AAA school. Plus depth doesn't seem like a big issue. They only run hurry up so they must be well-conditioned. You'd have to bank on injuries for them to lose. I wouldn't count on it.
NDsports35
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:14 pm

NDsports35 wrote:
digger wrote:

I disagree. While the talent range is different in AAA, I still believe Shanley would win all of their games. They scored 44 on Dickinson Trinity. They could've scored 80 on them if they wanted to. Their defense is just as talent filled as any AAA school. Plus depth doesn't seem like a big issue. They only run hurry up so they must be well-conditioned. You'd have to bank on injuries for them to lose. I wouldn't count on it.

Do they have a lot of people that play both ways especially on the lines? That is usually where depth is seen the most. A lot of AAA schools don't play lineman both ways so they can stay fresh, or their backups just get a lot of reps and are usually as effective as a lot of AA lineman.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby J Biker » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:50 pm

if DL and Shanley are in the championship, i wouldnt count DL out
J Biker
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 5-time state chump » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:18 am

NDsports35 wrote:No doubt in my mind Shanley would win by a big margin in AAA this year.

Lay off the mushrooms.

Shanley squeaked one out vs. Detroit Lakes. The next week, Bismarck played Detroit Lakes and scored every time the touched the ball until they took their starters out. Bismarck could have beat them 140 to 0.

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/sports/h ... 002e0.html

Shanley is on a different level in AA. Don't kid yourself though. The upper level AAA's would run roughshod over them.

That being said Carrington over DL by 2 scores, Shanley by 40 next two games.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Rush23 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:32 am

It pretty sad that 3 out of the 4 teams should be class triple AAA.....Carrington is the only team that is basically a typical class AA team
Rush23
NDPreps Starter

Postby Moritz21 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:40 am

Rush23 wrote:It pretty sad that 3 out of the 4 teams should be class triple AAA.....Carrington is the only team that is basically a typical class AA team

oh jeez here we go again. maybe Devils Lake and Shanley should be AAA. VC and Carrington not a chance.
Moritz21
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lovwatchingsports » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:09 pm

Moritz21 wrote:
Rush23 wrote:It pretty sad that 3 out of the 4 teams should be class triple AAA.....Carrington is the only team that is basically a typical class AA team

oh jeez here we go again. maybe Devils Lake and Shanley should be AAA. VC and Carrington not a chance.

play the hand your delt, be proud of what you've done. Don't make less of what was acomplished. No matter where they split it, somebody will not be happy. Get over it.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby Electric Avenue » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:04 pm

secondwind wrote:Shanley by 40+.

Much the same thing in Title game regardless if its Car. or DL.

Shanley would have legit shot at winning AAA Title this yr if they were in it.

I dont think 40+, Its the playoffs, Only the best are left. Overall i think Shanley should win it, They have a large school and a group of boys that play well together. But, Shanley wouldnt have a chance against Bismark, not even close. Shanley is good... but not that good, i mean seriously, Bismark Line would be pushing Shanley line all over, all day.
Electric Avenue
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:10 pm

And what determines that? The old plan we had? They should not be AAA teams. Their schools are not that comparable. The 16 team AAA class used to work, now it does not. Shanley would almost be class B in basketball. In fact, last year, when they moved the cutoff to 400, they would have been, but they opted up. Their enrollment was 336 for the entire 9-12 last year. Thats smaller than Valley City and VC has been AA for a really long time ( if not ever since we adopted the 4 class plan. I don't remember). Devils Lake is much bigger than Shanley but still almost 200 less than the next closest school, Jamestown. I don't see how you can even think Valley City should be close to AAA.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bisonguy06 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:09 pm

Appreciate this year's Shanley team for what it is - an outstanding football team.

Cavalier and Trinity had their teams that were untouchable for a year. Watford City had one in the late 90's, too. This appears to be one of those years for Shanley, but we shall see.

I'm ok with Shanley being in AA football. After this year, they'll be contenders, but they won't be dominant.

Devils Lake is truly a misfit in terms of enrollment and the football divisions. They have roughly 100 more boys than any other AA school, but 100 fewer than any AAA school. I think it's ok to put them in AAA for now, but I think there will come a time when one of the 'big' ND cities adds another high school and Devils Lake can come back down to 2A.

If you expand AAA football any more than that, you'll have to bump up TMCHS-Belcourt. I don't think anyone here would argue that that is a good idea.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby heimer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:05 pm

Number of titles for Devils Lake in AA=0
Number of titles for Valley City in AA=0

Teams to beat Devils Lake and Valley City in title game appearances: Fargo Shanley, Fargo Oak Grove, Watford City.

Losses this year by these two: Dickinson Trinity, Central Cass, Lisbon, Shanley.

Valley City defeated Carrington 20-0. Carrington defeated Lisbon 15-7. Lisbon defeated Valley City 29-14.

I'd say the AA semifinals are pretty much a perfect fit. I'd say Rush23 is a member of a group that claims any town with a stoplight is too big for the class they are in. He/she may want to "freshen up" on his AA history.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bisonguy06 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:56 pm

Heimer and I have kicked around the topic of the appropriate size for football divisions and AA schools for a long time, rarely agreeing on anything.

I think we can agree on something. Rush23 doesn't have a clue.

Valley City has been in AA football as long as that class has existed (1997). They have almost always been competitive but have never been dominant. AA is their home.

Shanley had been opting up into AAA football, but were no longer given that option two years ago. They are smaller than Valley City in enrollment. AA is their home now. I'd like it if they had the option to opt up, but there's nothing saying that they have to opt up. If you're going to argue that Shanley should be AAA football, you'd have to argue that Valley City belongs, too. And that's crazy.

Heimer and I don't agree on what to do with Devils Lake, but we do agree that they are a better fit competitively in AA football. I think that putting them in AAA football is the best of several imperfect options. His plan would keep them in AA.

Heimer knows that I used to think AAA football had to have 16 teams at all costs. I've come around on that. None of the schools currently in AA are ruining AA. It is a very competitive class. And none of them are a better fit in AAA.

This year's strongest team (Shanley) will come back to the pack next year, and this year's weakest team (Fargo Oak Grove/Park Christian) will be losing their Park Christian co-op and dropping down. This year's biggest AA school (Devils Lake) lost to the smallest (Trinity/New England).

Sorry for the sour grapes Rush, but you're way off base.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby heimer » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:04 pm

These debates would be so much more productive if the "uneducateds" would listen sometimes, and learn a few things.

Case in point: Last year I was at the VC vs. LMM volleyball match in VC. I had a chance to overhear an LMM fan talking about the class situation. He was obviously frustrated with the basketball/volleyball situation, and, had he left it at that, it would have been just a difference of opinion.

But he goes into this rant about how VC had just beaten Oak Grove in football, and said that, "VC shouldn't be proud of any win over Oak Grove in football. They're so much bigger."

He obviously forget a key component to the argument: Oak Grove was the state champ in 2007.

It's these kind of yahoos that make the dialouge so embittered. If you don't understand the situation, either shut up, or learn first.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Return to AA