Top defense in the state?

The teams in Class A

Top defense in the state?

Postby slash » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:30 pm

Who do you guys think have the top defense in the state?
slash
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Top defense in the state?

Postby region3dominates » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:24 pm

velva in my opinion has the best defense in the state second year under the new defensive coordinator and they havent given up a point yet. That was against two pretty good teams Ryan and Williams County
region3dominates
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Mullet » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:12 pm

slash wrote:Who do you guys think have the top defense in the state?

You tell me Slash, you tell me
The Mullet
NDPreps Starter

Postby Fab 5 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:55 am

Cavalier has amazing D fence
Fab 5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby slash » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:11 pm

The Mullet wrote:
slash wrote:Who do you guys think have the top defense in the state?

You tell me Slash, you tell me

well id say the two teams these guys said are a toss up for the best
slash
NDPreps Reserve

Postby USA » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:00 am

Watford City has to be in consideration. -5 yards given up to Hazen this last week is a great defensive effort against an opponent, no matter the caliber of team.
USA
NDPreps Reserve

Postby A - Football Fan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:07 pm

-5 yards is one heck of an effort. Also note that Velva has not given up a single point this season. That statistic should also stand out as well. Their opponents so far have been Minot Ryan, Williams County, Stanley, Garrison, and New Town. Garrison and New Town aren't anything to brag about but the other three have shown some abilities in the past years.
A - Football Fan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby slash » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:53 pm

A - Football Fan wrote:-5 yards is one heck of an effort. Also note that Velva has not given up a single point this season. That statistic should also stand out as well. Their opponents so far have been Minot Ryan, Williams County, Stanley, Garrison, and New Town. Garrison and New Town aren't anything to brag about but the other three have shown some abilities in the past years.

Yeah but we are talking this year and outta those teams minot ryan is the only one to brag about shutting out and watford has done the same.
slash
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fanofeverything » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:56 pm

slash wrote:
A - Football Fan wrote:-5 yards is one heck of an effort. Also note that Velva has not given up a single point this season. That statistic should also stand out as well. Their opponents so far have been Minot Ryan, Williams County, Stanley, Garrison, and New Town. Garrison and New Town aren't anything to brag about but the other three have shown some abilities in the past years.

Yeah but we are talking this year and outta those teams minot ryan is the only one to brag about shutting out and watford has done the same.

I will have to argue with this! Ryan actually might have the worst offense of the three teams. Now Ryan has a better defense and overall team, but both Williams County and Stanley have put up good offensive numbers in a few games this season. With that being said I believe Watford City and Velva definitely have the two best defenses on the west side of the state. Who's is better, well we may see in the semifinals.
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:20 pm

fanofeverything wrote:
slash wrote:

I will have to argue with this! Ryan actually might have the worst offense of the three teams. Now Ryan has a better defense and overall team, but both Williams County and Stanley have put up good offensive numbers in a few games this season. With that being said I believe Watford City and Velva definitely have the two best defenses on the west side of the state. Who's is better, well we may see in the semifinals.

Ryan also faces better defenses in AA than Williams Co and Stanley do in A. That has to be taken into consideration. Williams Co put up 6 in a losing effort to Bottineau, who Ryan just put up 36 on with ease.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby COACHWEST » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:22 pm

I thought Williams County beat Bottineau? I would think Stanley's Defense might be considered? How about Lewis & Clark? What is their defense like? Harvey? Watford and Velva, I agrtee though.
COACHWEST
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:09 pm

COACHWEST wrote:I thought Williams County beat Bottineau? I would think Stanley's Defense might be considered? How about Lewis & Clark? What is their defense like? Harvey? Watford and Velva, I agrtee though.

My bad, you are correct. They won 14-6. Still not a very good offensive efoort compared to Ryan's.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby fanofeverything » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:59 pm

Indy5 wrote:
COACHWEST wrote:I thought Williams County beat Bottineau? I would think Stanley's Defense might be considered? How about Lewis & Clark? What is their defense like? Harvey? Watford and Velva, I agrtee though.

My bad, you are correct. They won 14-6. Still not a very good offensive efoort compared to Ryan's.

Like I said I think Ryan is definitely the best of the three teams. Lewis and Clark's Defense has been pretty good so far and Harvey gave up 20+ points in both of their first two games. We will see about L&C's defense this friday, but I don't see them being in the league with Watford, Velva and Cavalier.
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:42 pm

fanofeverything wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

Like I said I think Ryan is definitely the best of the three teams. Lewis and Clark's Defense has been pretty good so far and Harvey gave up 20+ points in both of their first two games. We will see about L&C's defense this friday, but I don't see them being in the league with Watford, Velva and Cavalier.

You did state that Ryan is the best team, but you also stated they were probably the worst offense. I gave an example to prove otherwise.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby A-Fanatic » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:56 pm

slash wrote:

Stanley and Minot Ryan are the only two teams that Velva and Watford have in common this year. And in each case Velva and Watford won by very similar scores. I think we can honestly say that both teams have great defenses and that's why they are ranked as high as they are. Unless something crazy happens they should see each other in the semi's again this year.
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby CapnCrunch » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:59 am

region3dominates wrote:velva in my opinion has the best defense in the state second year under the new defensive coordinator and they havent given up a point yet. That was against two pretty good teams Ryan and Williams County

Who is the new d coordinator?
CapnCrunch
NDPreps Reserve

Postby fanofeverything » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:09 am

CapnCrunch wrote:
region3dominates wrote:velva in my opinion has the best defense in the state second year under the new defensive coordinator and they havent given up a point yet. That was against two pretty good teams Ryan and Williams County

I could be wrong, but I believe it is Weidler.
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby A-Fanatic » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:07 pm

fanofeverything wrote:
CapnCrunch wrote:

I could be wrong, but I believe it is Weidler.

Matt Weidler is the defensive coordinator
A-Fanatic
NDPreps Starter

Postby radioman » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:17 am

Velva's Defense is the best I've seen this year. I think it's even better than last year's State Championship team. They haven't allowed a point scored in 6 games ( Bishop Ryan, Williams Co., Stanley-Powers Lake, Garrison-Max, New Town, Lewis & Clark-Our Redeemers). They're allowing an average of 75-yards of offense per game (44 yd rushing/ 31 yd passing). Opposing Qb's only complete an average of 24% of passes against the Aggies and they're forcing an average of 4 turnovers per game.

I thought the game against L&C-OR this week would be somewhat close, but Velva dominated every aspect. And not only is the Defense outstanding, but the offense has put up 250 points in 6 games!
radioman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:44 am

I think there are TWO SOLID Defenses in Class A football this year:

1. Velva - you can't go wrong with a team defense that hasn't given up points yet this year.
2. Watford City
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:42 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:I think there are TWO SOLID Defenses in Class A football this year:

1. Velva - you can't go wrong with a team defense that hasn't given up points yet this year.
2. Watford City

If Velva hasn't given up a point yet...then they are way more than solid...their elite....unheard of.
Class A has some solid defenses....Cavalier is one of them.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby fanofeverything » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:24 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:I think there are TWO SOLID Defenses in Class A football this year:

2. Watford City

I think you have to say 3. Cavalier needs to be in this conversation. We will never really know who's is the best until the line up against each other. I think a Velva vs Watford semi could be one of the best games in Class A history. Cavalier looks to be the favorite out east so either way it is going to be one of the best Class A semi's and Championships in recent memory and maybe ever.
fanofeverything
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:41 pm

fanofeverything wrote:

2. Watford City

I think you have to say 3. Cavalier needs to be in this conversation. We will never really know who's is the best until the line up against each other. I think a Velva vs Watford semi could be one of the best games in Class A history. Cavalier looks to be the favorite out east so either way it is going to be one of the best Class A semi's and Championships in recent memory and maybe ever.

Well Cav should a been there last year...they easily had the most talent in the east, they lost composure ....Preparation is the name of the game from here on out....and if Defense wins championships than Velva is the favorite...and we know they will be prepared...Linton owes the Tornadoes one, problem is, is the Tornadoes are tougher than they were last year, I dont think a person could say the same for Linton. I think watford gets pay back on Velva and comes in from the west as Champs...and it will be the Offense from Cav that will be the ending factor of Class A this year.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby thewanderer » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:01 pm

i think the west will dominate in the playoffs. cavalier, the only team even close in the east, will survive until they run into some defense. superior coaching in programs like Velva, WC, etc. will shut down the passsing offense of Cav. the weather also will come into play late in the season in ND unless they make it to the championship that is played inside. time will tell. jmho
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:38 pm

thewanderer[b] wrote:i think the west will dominate in the playoffs[/b]. cavalier, the only team even close in the east, will survive until they run into some defense. superior coaching in programs like Velva, WC, etc. will shut down the passsing offense of Cav. the weather also will come into play late in the season in ND unless they make it to the championship that is played inside. time will tell. jmho

Dominate who (the west) Unless I am wrong (which is rarely, :) ) West don't meet East till the Dome, right?? so west dominates west??....Cavalier (and I am not saying they will dominate) has the Coaches and coordinator's this season....the nucleus is the experience on the field (lot a football above the shoulders) on this team...they will be tough to beat.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to A