Hans Anderson named as Davies head coach

Hans Anderson named as Davies head coach

Postby Bagboy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:39 am

Any thoughts on this decision?
Bagboy
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Hans Anderson named as Davies head coach

Postby Baseball1000 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:27 pm

Terrible.. He's hardly coached and many people have told me last year as the davies freshman coach he did a really poor job. I think it should've been Gigstad or another more-qualified person.

all hans does is make the boys run and run.
Baseball1000
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 75ford » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:23 am

Baseball1000 wrote:Terrible.. He's hardly coached and many people have told me last year as the davies freshman coach he did a really poor job. I think it should've been Gigstad or another more-qualified person.

all hans does is make the boys run and run.
It will be a work in progress for the first couple years as Davies will not have any Seniors the first year anyway. In 2011 Davies may be able to compete for a top 4 spot in EDC, but certainly will have a hard time with the stronger teams like RR, West Fargo,North, and South in 2011. But in 2012 Davies will be competitive with a few stronger players that will be juniors in 2012. I also hear that Hans is doing a Davies fall camp and is asking the Davies players to come to his camp, this camp will be a good chance for players to see his coaching style. Good luck to coach Hans on his endeavor. It will be a work in progress for a couple years minimum in all sports at Davies startup.
Last edited by 75ford on Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
75ford
NDPreps Starter

Postby anyballgame45 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:32 pm

I am not going to debate Coach Anderson's coaching expertise it is possible other candidates had more qualifications that did Anderson. I will point out he makes basball fun for the players he coaches which is a lesson some of the more seasoned coaches in the area could learn from.

I Would not rule out a 4th place finish in the EDC in 2011 and they will have as good a chance as anyone to win the EDC in 2012.

I think Coach Anderson will be very successful at Davies and wish him the best.
anyballgame45
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baseball1000 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:01 pm

I don't know if Davies will be very good next year. They only have Juniors and Sophomores and the juniors aren't above average ball players.

Who are the stronger players that will be juniors in 2012?
They would be sophomores now.
Baseball1000
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 75ford » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:25 pm

Baseball1000 wrote:I don't know if Davies will be very good next year. They only have Juniors and Sophomores and the juniors aren't above average ball players.

There are about 4 stronger players that all played JV as freshman this past spring for Davies. Casey Quinlan is a good Lefty pitcher, Ryan Smith (middle infield/pitch), Andrew Beyer (Outfield and good speed), and Brock Horner can play middle infield/outfield, pitch and has speed. These 4 also can hit. There are also contributers in Peterson, Barta, Meers, and Schneider also. This group should be decent when Juniors, and pretty strong when seniors.
75ford
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball101 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:21 pm

75ford wrote:
Baseball1000 wrote:I don't know if Davies will be very good next year. They only have Juniors and Sophomores and the juniors aren't above average ball players.

There are about 4 stronger players that all played JV as freshman this past spring for Davies. Casey Quinlan is a good Lefty pitcher, Ryan Smith (middle infield/pitch), Andrew Beyer (Outfield and good speed), and Brock Horner can play middle infield/outfield, pitch and has speed. These 4 also can hit. There are also contributers in Peterson, Barta, Meers, and Schneider also. This group should be decent when Juniors, and pretty strong when seniors.

Umm you're forgetting their two best players Justin Beach and Brady Jordahl.
baseball101
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 75ford » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:54 pm

baseball101 wrote:
75ford wrote:

Umm you're forgetting their two best players Justin Beach and Brady Jordahl.

Hey I totally agree on Jordahl and Beach if you are talking Juniors also, I was responding on the sophomores.
75ford
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baseball1000 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:39 pm

I'm not sure about Brock Horner. He played mostly freshman last year I believe. But those other sophomores seem good, I forgot about them. Smith looks like a really composed pitcher and I think he could lead their team in the future.

Quinlan has some nasty stuff also. They could be decent.
Baseball1000
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 75ford » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:23 am

Baseball1000 wrote:I'm not sure about Brock Horner. He played mostly freshman last year I believe. But those other sophomores seem good, I forgot about them. Smith looks like a really composed pitcher and I think he could lead their team in the future.

Barta, and Horner both I believe played mostly JV baseball for Davies, and both only played with Freshman about 3 games each on starting pitching only as the freshman team was lite on pitching. In watching some Bomber JV legion games this past summer Horner really improved and had a quite a few stolen bases, fielded both 2B and outfield and was a very good closer and starting pitcher for the Bomber which was in 17 yr. old level. Bombers also had Bryton Buth from Davies and he had some good pitching outings also.

Quinlan will be very good as he continues to develop and work on strenghth. I think smith will be a good pitcher but will have to hit the weightroom to gain more power for varsity levels, but smith will be very good.
75ford
NDPreps Starter

Postby gunslinger13 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:55 pm

Davies will have to play agaisnt varsty talent not jv anymore. The only pitchers i see being effective are quinlan and beach. jordahl throws straight fastballs and will get hit hard and davies doesnt field the ball that well. smith and horner each dont have good enough stuff yet to really compete at the varsty level. And bryton buth? thats a joke i saw his bomber stats he threw 43% strikes i dont see him even making varsty. Davies will struggle this year but there sophmore class will eventually be solid and i feel there best year will be the 2012-2013 season. until then they will have problems.
LOVE ME SEXY:P
gunslinger13
NDPreps Starter

Postby 75ford » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:10 pm

gunslinger13 wrote:Davies will have to play agaisnt varsty talent not jv anymore. The only pitchers i see being effective are quinlan and beach. jordahl throws straight fastballs and will get hit hard and davies doesnt field the ball that well. smith and horner each dont have good enough stuff yet to really compete at the varsty level. And bryton buth? thats a joke i saw his bomber stats he threw 43% strikes i dont see him even making varsty. Davies will struggle this year but there sophmore class will eventually be solid and i feel there best year will be the 2012-2013 season. until then they will have problems.

Gunslinger I agree that Davies will be a work in progress their first season because they have no varsity experience at that level. I saw buth only the one time last summer and that nite he had good control (wow 43% strikes is not going to work)that outing but he probably will be a JV player for this year then. Jordahl really needs to develop a nasty offspeed pitch and become a pitcher not just a throw as hard as you can guy like I have seen him do. The varsity teams will eat that fastball up, that is what has helped Quinlan as he has a decent curveball. Again they were a good JV team last year, but it is a whole new game at Varsity level, you are facing the best not the second best teams. 2011 they will be a work in progress, 2012 they will be a top 3 team in EDC. FS, and WF are the 2 top teams in EDC in 2011 period, all others teams are fighting for 3th and 4th period.
75ford
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baseball1000 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:25 pm

My son, who plays for WF, played Davies. Buth never pitched for them when we played. Horner didn't either I don't believe. When Quinlan pitched he looked somewhat rattled on the mound if anything went wrong. He threw harder than any other sophomore and had a good curve too, just couldn't control it, and hit a few batters.
Last edited by Baseball1000 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baseball1000
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Battle Hardened » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:49 pm

There are a couple freshman players who may contribute this year. Nick Horner hit a few home runs as an 8th grader and Isaak Lamb is a solid lefty with a decent curve and breaking ball. I agree that year 1 will be tough, just as the football season was but Davies will be a factor in the edc in 2012 and beyond.
Battle Hardened
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 75ford » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:08 pm

Baseball1000 wrote:I'm not sure about Brock Horner. He played mostly freshman last year I believe. But those other sophomores seem good, I forgot about them. Smith looks like a really composed pitcher and I think he could lead their team in the future.

I would say the track record over the years for Smith is he is not very composed in big games as he always seems to struggle under pressure, he just seems to lack confidence. Hopefully he will gain confidence to be a solid ptcher. I would say that he is too soft to be the leader type, more of a contributer. Quinlan could lead, but this team will be lead by Justin Beach.
75ford
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baseball1000 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:36 pm

I agree, I think Beach looks like Davies most solid pitcher. I don't think Smith has pitched in many big games for Davies yet, other then the JV tourney. He was a very composed pitcher during traveling baseball..Brady Jordhal (spelling?) is another Davies player to mention aswell.
Last edited by Baseball1000 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baseball1000
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 75ford » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:24 am

Battle Hardened wrote:There are a couple freshman players who may contribute this year. Nick Horner hit a few home runs as an 8th grader and Isaak Lamb is a solid lefty with a decent curve and breaking ball. I agree that year 1 will be tough, just as the football season was but Davies will be a factor in the edc in 2012 and beyond.

I would say these 2 players at best will contribute at the JV level. They will need to gain experience to be ready for the varsity level in my opinion. All players need a year of JV exposure to be ready for varsity level and succeed.
75ford
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baseball1000 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:40 pm

No doubt. I don't think many of the players who have never played varsity know how much work is really need to succeed. I'm looking forward to an interesting year!
Baseball1000
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Battle Hardened » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:08 am

There is 1 decent Jr. on the Davies team this year. There is maybe 1 sohp that would play varsity (Quinlan) in a normal year with seniors. There are 3 or 4 sophs who are pretty good players. Davies will be lucky to win 1 game this year. This year will be about development. There are a couple freshman who have won the last 2 or 3 state Babe Ruth State Championships. They are among the top players in the state at their age level. In a normal year they would not play any varsity but there is little above them - they will get some playing time just like several freshman are playing basketball, football, and hockey this year. They will not be good this year but they will be very good next year.
Battle Hardened
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 75ford » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:31 am

Battle Hardened wrote:There is 1 decent Jr. on the Davies team this year. There is maybe 1 sohp that would play varsity (Quinlan) in a normal year with seniors. There are 3 or 4 sophs who are pretty good players. Davies will be lucky to win 1 game this year. This year will be about development. There are a couple freshman who have won the last 2 or 3 state Babe Ruth State Championships. They are among the top players in the state at their age level. In a normal year they would not play any varsity but there is little above them - they will get some playing time just like several freshman are playing basketball, football, and hockey this year. They will not be good this year but they will be very good next year.

I disagree that Davies will only win 1 game this year, they will be better than that considering all teams in EDC. Also you are claiming these freshman are such strong players due to winning a couple State baberuth championships, I believe that the most of the sophomore's at Davies won 3 state baberuth championships, and may have won their 4th last season had they not lost 3 players to Legion. Varsity baseball is several steps up from baberuth, once you get in the box and face someone like Tanner Dahl (WF) and Dave Ernst (South) that throw mid to high 80's mph and they have to use wood bats instead of metal. It is seldom players are able to come up and be successful as freshman at varsity baseball level without playing JV level. This Davies team will be a work in progress from players that all can prove them selves at all ages period. Time will tell how they develop and compete.
75ford
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ndbaseball999 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:06 pm

Aaron Green would be the only one to make a difference on that 15 year old travel team. They needed one more picther and one more hitter.
Ndbaseball999
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baseball1000 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:12 am

Green plays for South Anyways that travel team won 3 state championships and 2 of those were without Green so they still have talent.
Baseball1000
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gunslinger13 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:10 pm

I agree with they still have talent but that teams 3,4,5 hitters from there 14 year old season. were voss, widmer and green and voss and widmer batted 3 and 4 as 15 year olds to (green played up and played bombers). Davies will need some bats to step up i see alot of role players but not real game changers who can take over when the team needs to start a rally or a clutch hit.
LOVE ME SEXY:P
gunslinger13
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baseball1000 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:34 pm

gunslinger13 wrote:I agree with they still have talent but that teams 3,4,5 hitters from there 14 year old season. were voss, widmer and green and voss and widmer batted 3 and 4 as 15 year olds to (green played up and played bombers). Davies will need some bats to step up i see alot of role players but not real game changers who can take over when the team needs to start a rally or a clutch hit.

That's a good point. I think Davies will have an extremely hard time hitting this year.
Baseball1000
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ballin304life » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:47 pm

Battle Hardened wrote:There is 1 decent Jr. on the Davies team this year. There is maybe 1 sohp that would play varsity (Quinlan) in a normal year with seniors. There are 3 or 4 sophs who are pretty good players. Davies will be lucky to win 1 game this year. This year will be about development. There are a couple freshman who have won the last 2 or 3 state Babe Ruth State Championships. They are among the top players in the state at their age level. In a normal year they would not play any varsity but there is little above them - they will get some playing time just like several freshman are playing basketball, football, and hockey this year. They will not be good this year but they will be very good next year.

davies has 2 wins and its april 28th
ballin304life
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Class A