Re: Class B State Babe Ruth Website

Postby GoPack#2 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:49 pm

Lisbon wins 12 to 1 over Wishek.
"Give them nothing but take from them everything"
GoPack#2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:49 am

How does Ty Mittleider look as an overall player. I havent got to see him play since I coached him in little league. A lot of people thought he was a standout in pee wee because he was more mature then the other kids, but the kid was a baseball player. just wondering how he developed once all the kids are getting up to his size. judging by some of the posts on this thread I'm assume he's still a stud
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby utilityman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:59 am

baseball wrote:How does Ty Mittleider look as an overall player. I havent got to see him play since I coached him in little league. A lot of people thought he was a standout in pee wee because he was more mature then the other kids, but the kid was a baseball player. just wondering how he developed once all the kids are getting up to his size. judging by some of the posts on this thread I'm assume he's still a stud

He's still more mature ( size wise) than most babe ruthers, the Lyons kid is even bigger and more mature than Mittleider. They're both very good ball players, Mittleider throws hard for a babe ruther and hits pretty well too, at the legion level he will have to be more consistent with his curve ball and I'm sure his fastball will gain velocity with age. If he were to pitch legion right now he would get hit due to the fact his curve ball needs some work. Not saying he would get racked, just that he wouldn't be shutting people out like babe ruth.

I seen Lisbon over 8 times this year, and had posted I thought they were the best team in state, had some rebuttals from Casselton people but I was right from the start.

What I can't figure out is I was told that the babe ruth team Lisbon had 2 years ago was just as good as this years team if not better, why is their Legion program suffering? these kids should be getting better at the next level and it's not showing with wins and losses.

Also, you used to coach peewee, maybe you should tell Bittner that double stealing and straight steals with a 15 run lead with your ace on the mound is not really smart. I heard a ton of complaints about that around the diamonds this year. That kind of stuff will come back to haunt you later. I heard this from LaMoure, Wishek, VC and the Wahpeton coach was really ticked. Just a little FYI, maybe Bttner just doesn't understand that part of the game. Anyway, they had one heck of a team this year.
utilityman
NDPreps Starter

Postby CurlingIsMySport » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:01 pm

I've heard a couple different theory's on that. One guy i heard talking said he thinks it's because those kids over pitch in babe ruth. He pointed out Moellencamp from 2007 or so and Derek Jones now who both dominated in babe ruth, but both have arm trouble now. Also from that team a couple years ago.

I've heard others say that they pitch too many curveballs. I think that a lot of it is because of the fact that they don't have numbers and aren't as well coached at the legion level. Bittner coaches his kids up very well. I think like 3 kids from that team 2 years ago don't play legion, and i think Mittleider played for them as a 13 year old.
CurlingIsMySport
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:43 pm

utilityman wrote:Also, you used to coach peewee, maybe you should tell Bittner that double stealing and straight steals with a 15 run lead with your ace on the mound is not really smart. I heard a ton of complaints about that around the diamonds this year. That kind of stuff will come back to haunt you later. I heard this from LaMoure, Wishek, VC and the Wahpeton coach was really ticked. Just a little FYI, maybe Bttner just doesn't understand that part of the game. Anyway, they had one heck of a team this year.

2 things...

1. not sure why me coaching peewee should be the one to tell him its not the right thing to do haha. i agree thats something you shouldnt do, but peewee is a whole different game. we basically taught them to keep the glove on the ground and eyes open when you swing. no stealing at all. over my career, ive played in a number of games where we were up 10-12-15 runs and would refuse to steal and score on errors. we would advance on past balls just for the simple reason it would be pointless to stay put, but we wouldnt score on one. also wouldnt try to stretch singles to doubles and doubles to triples. I think that goes without saying in sports..when you have the game in hand dont start stealing, jacking up 3's after one pass, throwing hail mary's, etc...

2. I coached Ty in Steele, not Lisbon. He would live with his grandma for the summer and then play ball there
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby utilityman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:39 pm

Ya, I was joking about telling him that. And to the other poster, not having enough arms on the team does expose too much wear and tear on the arms of these kids. Unfortuneately, too many coaches don't understand pitch counts or else put winning the game above the betterment of the kids' future of pitching. Dunn in LaMoure had shoulder troubles this year and the best pitcher I seen this year in legion was Althoff from Fairmount/Hankinson and they threw him 7 innings vs VC in a 4pm game and then he closed the last 4 innings vs Enderlin in the night game at sections. Thats just not good! 3 days later they started him vs VC again and he couldn't get out of the 1st inning with a sore arm, I just hope his arm's OK as the kid can really bring it and he seems like a real level headed kid.
utilityman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:37 pm

I have a coaching question. Do coaches not teach their catchers to run down the 1st baseline on ground balls? I watched 3 days of the tournament and I didn't see one catcher run down the 1st baseline.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mailman_25 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:56 pm

Coach Bittner is a good coach and his teams always play hard and are fundamentally sound. Congrats to him and his team this year. Also, as far as the other coaches complaining, I would take that with a grain of salt, especially if LaMoure still has the same coach. I witnessed his teams embarrassing many opponents with the same tactics. It is all a cycle, and it just happens to be Lisbon's turn.
Mailman_25
NDPreps Starter

Postby GoPack#2 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:42 pm

Past Champions

2010-Lisbon
2009-Casselton
2008-
2007-Casselton
2006-
2005-
2004-
2003-
2002-
2001-
2000-
GoPack#2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gobison#6 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:02 pm

GoPack#2 wrote:Past Champions

2010-Lisbon
2009-Casselton
2008-
2007-Casselton
2006-
2005-
2004-
2003-
2002-
2001-
2000-

I believe in 06 it was Hope Finley.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mailman_25 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:58 pm

[quote="GoPack#2"]Past Champions

2010-Lisbon
2009-Casselton
2008- Velva
2007-Casselton
2006- Hope/Finley
2005- LaMoure
2004-
2003- Thompson
2002- Lisbon
2001-
2000-Lisbon
Last edited by Mailman_25 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mailman_25
NDPreps Starter

Postby longhornsman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:33 am

CurlingIsMySport wrote:I've heard a couple different theory's on that. One guy i heard talking said he thinks it's because those kids over pitch in babe ruth. He pointed out Moellencamp from 2007 or so and Derek Jones now who both dominated in babe ruth, but both have arm trouble now. Also from that team a couple years ago.

I've heard others say that they pitch too many curveballs. I think that a lot of it is because of the fact that they don't have numbers and aren't as well coached at the legion level. Bittner coaches his kids up very well. I think like 3 kids from that team 2 years ago don't play legion, and i think Mittleider played for them as a 13 year old.

Moellencamp never played for Bittner, and it looked like to me they pitched just the right amount of curveballs to win the state tourny. He may have been double stealing but baseball is like war, you keep going until the other team puts up the white flag and puts in there bench, simple as that.
longhornsman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby InTheKnow » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:15 pm

longhornsman wrote:
CurlingIsMySport wrote:I've heard a couple different theory's on that. One guy i heard talking said he thinks it's because those kids over pitch in babe ruth. He pointed out Moellencamp from 2007 or so and Derek Jones now who both dominated in babe ruth, but both have arm trouble now. Also from that team a couple years ago.

Moellencamp never played for Bittner, and it looked like to me they pitched just the right amount of curveballs to win the state tourny. He may have been double stealing but baseball is like war, you keep going until the other team puts up the white flag and puts in there bench, simple as that.

Not correct! Stealing up 8 in the second with aluminum bats I can understand. Stealing up 9 or 10 in the 5th if the team is being 2 hit and you have your stud on the mound. NOT acceptable! There is a very fine line when it involves stealing bases. As a coach on the trailing end of that, why would I put my bench in early? So it can end up 20-0 instead of 10. No guarantee the running will stop when the bench goes in. Thats why you see after a steal and a large lead the next pitch is in the hitters ear in the pro game. It is something you just dont do. Coaches can tell if the other team has no shot at winning at a certain point. Some times it is as early as a 5-0 lead.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby utilityman » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:11 am

InTheKnow wrote:
longhornsman wrote:

Not correct! Stealing up 8 in the second with aluminum bats I can understand. Stealing up 9 or 10 in the 5th if the team is being 2 hit and you have your stud on the mound. NOT acceptable! There is a very fine line when it involves stealing bases. As a coach on the trailing end of that, why would I put my bench in early? So it can end up 20-0 instead of 10. No guarantee the running will stop when the bench goes in. Thats why you see after a steal and a large lead the next pitch is in the hitters ear in the pro game. It is something you just dont do. Coaches can tell if the other team has no shot at winning at a certain point. Some times it is as early as a 5-0 lead.

I agree with you 100%. And to the other poster who mentioned the LaMoure coach I never personally heard a word out of him. I know personally that the Wahpeton coach was really ticked off during the Oakes tourney, I heard alot of LaMoure people talking and also in that championship game in Oakes it was Lisbon vs Vally City and Lisbon was up like 18-2 and was double stealing, I didn't stick around til the end but I know that VC put a pitcher in to do what In The Know stated. By the way, Mittleider was pitching that game so I don't think VC was going to rally down 16in the 4th off him. To say baseball is war, is pretty immature. It's like being up 52-0 in the 4th quarter in football and having your QB throw a bomb for a TD, it's just something you don't do. I seen games this year vs Ellendale who had a down year in babe ruth where the other team wouldn't let their runners score from 3rd on a wild pitch up 10. Yes, you want to win the game but you also don't want show other people up. I would bet if Bittner moved up to legion coach next year with his son moving up that some humble pie might be served to him.
utilityman
NDPreps Starter

Postby BabeRuthBaseball » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:26 am

I would like to see you try to serve some humble pie. They'll have the same team they got second at state with so good luck with that.
BabeRuthBaseball
NDPreps Rookie

Postby GoPack#2 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:48 pm

BabeRuthBaseball wrote:I would like to see you try to serve some humble pie. They'll have the same team they got second at state with so good luck with that.

What team are you talking about?
GoPack#2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby dream22 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:26 pm

GoPack#2 wrote:
BabeRuthBaseball wrote:I would like to see you try to serve some humble pie. They'll have the same team they got second at state with so good luck with that.

I think they are referring to the Lisbon Babe Ruth team from 2008. Not sure if the legion team will be as good, but they will have better talent than this year.

I attended quite a few games in that region and saw most of the State Tourney in Wishek. I didn't see Lisbon running up any scores this season, and for that tourney in Oakes I don't believe the score was as lopsided as some of these posts would have you believe when Lisbon was still being aggressive.

That said, all of this criticism of Bittner is being overblown and not in the spirit of this website. Overall it was a good Babe Ruth season and Wishek, Casselton, St Thomas and Lisbon all played well at State but Lisbon, which had the best pitching and defense, deserved to win. All were well coached and should be proud of their accomplishments. Congrats to Coach Bittner and his team.
dream22
NDPreps Rookie

Postby baberuthguy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:51 pm

pakkyzoo wrote:
InTheKnow wrote:
bballfan7 wrote:I think Lisbon and Casselton will both win their first games and then i'll take the winner of that to win the championship...i think if Mittleider pitches against Casselton lisbon will win

Don't count out St Thomas even if they lose the first round game. Very experienced team with several players who also started on the HS and Legion team. Might be better then the league rival Midway-Manvel team that took 2nd at state last year and 10runned everyone the first 3 days including Casselton. Those are the 3 teams to beat.

Don't count out Dakota Prairie either. 6 starters return from last years team that took fourth. Plus them same 6 started as 13 year olds on a team that took 3rd in Rolla. Dakota Prairie starts 9 15 year olds. Dakota Prairie is making its 6th straight trip to the Babe Ruth State Tournament. They have played Casselton this year going to 11 innings losing 11-10. Plus the same kids have played St. Thomas's kids during legion, so they have some familiarity with each other.

The bracket of Casselton, St. Thomas, and Lisbon is very tough. I am not sure what Velva and Hazen have returning. I also heard Wishek's best pitcher broke his arm, pitching in a game. Lets just hope the weather cooperates and makes it a fun 5 day tournament.

so do you know what dakota praire has for next years team. since the 15 year old starters left. ive heard Dakota Hoyt is a pretty good player. rumours were that he was hitting above 300.
baberuthguy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby longhornsman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:30 pm

dream22 wrote:
GoPack#2 wrote:

I think they are referring to the Lisbon Babe Ruth team from 2008. Not sure if the legion team will be as good, but they will have better talent than this year.

I attended quite a few games in that region and saw most of the State Tourney in Wishek. I didn't see Lisbon running up any scores this season, and for that tourney in Oakes I don't believe the score was as lopsided as some of these posts would have you believe when Lisbon was still being aggressive.

That said, all of this criticism of Bittner is being overblown and not in the spirit of this website. Overall it was a good Babe Ruth season and Wishek, Casselton, St Thomas and Lisbon all played well at State but Lisbon, which had the best pitching and defense, deserved to win. All were well coached and should be proud of their accomplishments. Congrats to Coach Bittner and his team.

Agreed, and with mittlieder and lyons moving up next year I wouldnt want to be playing them
longhornsman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby longhornsman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:30 pm

dream22 wrote:
GoPack#2 wrote:

longhornsman
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball0777 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:57 pm

Flip wrote:First day results (also on the website):
Lisbon over Velva
St. Thomas over Casselton
Dakota Prairie over Hazen
Wishek over Thompson

I didn't see all the games, but was told St. Thomas was the most impressive.
Jacobson for Wishek pitched a no hitter striking out 14. He walked back to back batters in the 5th inning, those were Thompson's only baserunners of the game.

wishek only beat thompson 3 to 0.. hazen played them the next day and beat them 17 to 1 or 2.. but st. thomas and lisbon were by far the most impressive
baseball0777
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flip » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:48 pm

baseball0777 wrote:wishek only beat thompson 3 to 0.. hazen played them the next day and beat them 17 to 1 or 2.. but st. thomas and lisbon were by far the most impressive

Hazen beat Thompson 11-1 and I was only talking about the first day, not the whole tournament.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bison football73 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:13 am

if i recall correctly Thompson didnt get there first hit until the 4th inning against Hazen
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to Class B