Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, or Kevin Garnett

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who is the best player in the NBA

Kobe Bryant
31%
LeBron James
45%
Kevin Durant
21%
Other
3%

Total votes : 29

Re: Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, or Kevin Garnett

Postby farva4prez » Mon May 10, 2010 3:29 pm

Two words, Shaq.... ATTACK
farva4prez
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Mon May 10, 2010 4:06 pm

Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:he played against and in during an era when the NBA was much tougher with better players pound for pound.

The Dream was a machine :wink:

I don't agree with this. I think the average player nowadays is much more athletic. And there are a lot of good young players.

no that's where your wrong....an average ball player didn't make the league and a sub player in the NBA is on the bench most of the time....he is still amongst the elite of the world..... remember for every 1,000 college players nationwide less than one make the NBA....along with a few internationals (which has picked up in the last 20 years).

Bottom line is the NBA has gotten younger bringing less maturity to the game which is why most of your young superstars (with an exception of a few who are ahead in years mentally and physically) are already done for the season.
In Hakeem's day you fought (literally) your way thru the playoffs.... now days with crybaby Stern and the league representatives you cant breath on one another and your off to the locker room. No the NBA was a much harder place to dominate 10-20 years ago.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon May 10, 2010 6:54 pm

winner-within wrote:
Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:4. tied for 4th-Howard- the best big man since Hakeem Alajuwon....

Shaq, Duncan, and Garnett were all better in their prime.

well when Jordan stepped aside from the NBA it was Hakeem and team who went back to back in 94'-95' for the Championship and when Jordan left the league it was Hakeem and only Hakeem who had won more games head to head with Jordan...I personally would take Hakeem in front of Garnett.....also he had way more ability and stamina than Shaq...Duncan has always had more of a supporting cast.
Hakeem played against Magic, Bird, Jordan, he played against and during an era when the NBA was much tougher with better players pound for pound.

I may be wrong here...but I dont think he meant Shaq, Duncan, Garnett, were better then Hakeem. I think he was saying them 3 were better in their prime then Howard is now.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon May 10, 2010 9:48 pm

winner-within wrote:
Indy5 wrote:
winner-within wrote:he played against and in during an era when the NBA was much tougher with better players pound for pound.

I don't agree with this. I think the average player nowadays is much more athletic. And there are a lot of good young players.

no that's where your wrong....an average ball player didn't make the league and a sub player in the NBA is on the bench most of the time....he is still amongst the elite of the world..... remember for every 1,000 college players nationwide less than one make the NBA....along with a few internationals (which has picked up in the last 20 years).

Bottom line is the NBA has gotten younger bringing less maturity to the game which is why most of your young superstars (with an exception of a few who are ahead in years mentally and physically) are already done for the season.
In Hakeem's day you fought (literally) your way thru the playoffs.... now days with crybaby Stern and the league representatives you cant breath on one another and your off to the locker room. No the NBA was a much harder place to dominate 10-20 years ago.

I will for sure give you the fact that back then, it was MUCH more physical than it is now. I just see it like football and baseball. The average player has improved a lot nowadays. Using the NFL as an example, when you watch old videos from the 60's and 70's and even the 80's, you see a lot more players who look not as talented or athletic as they are now. The stars were the same, but the middle of the road guys are what has improved.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue May 11, 2010 12:49 am

baseball wrote:I may be wrong here...but I dont think he meant Shaq, Duncan, Garnett, were better then Hakeem. I think he was saying them 3 were better in their prime then Howard is now.

Exactly. Shaq/Garnett and many would argue Duncan spent seasons as the best player in the NBA. Howard although a top 5 player isn't close to the best player in the NBA.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue May 11, 2010 10:40 am

baseball wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:4. tied for 4th-Howard- the best big man since Hakeem Alajuwon....

Shaq, Duncan, and Garnett were all better in their prime.

well when Jordan stepped aside from the NBA it was Hakeem and team who went back to back in 94'-95' for the Championship and when Jordan left the league it was Hakeem and only Hakeem who had won more games head to head with Jordan...I personally would take Hakeem in front of Garnett.....also he had way more ability and stamina than Shaq...Duncan has always had more of a supporting cast.
Hakeem played against Magic, Bird, Jordan, he played against and during an era when the NBA was much tougher with better players pound for pound.

I may be wrong here...but I dont think he meant Shaq, Duncan, Garnett, were better then Hakeem. I think he was saying them 3 were better in their prime then Howard is now.

I thought of that....although Hakeem was in bold context
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue May 11, 2010 10:52 am

Flip wrote:
baseball wrote:I may be wrong here...but I dont think he meant Shaq, Duncan, Garnett, were better then Hakeem. I think he was saying them 3 were better in their prime then Howard is now.

Exactly. Shaq/Garnett and many would argue Duncan spent seasons as the best player in the NBA. Howard although a top 5 player isn't close to the best player in the NBA.

I personally think if Howard wasn't in love with himself so much you could list him at # 1..... the NBA is about BIG and BAD and Howard has the physical package covered, he now has to get focused mentally and realize he's the boss....he has the potential (if he learns what hes paid to do) to be another Wilt but I don't know if you can teach, old school scornfully faced play... to this good looking young powerhouse :)

P.S. and if Mike Brown doesn't get his crap together Orlando will come out of the East again :x
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Mon May 17, 2010 8:19 am

Just wondering, hows everyone liking Lebron now????????
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indy5 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:45 am

Sportsrube wrote:Just wondering, hows everyone liking Lebron now????????

He is still the best player. It's not his fault he doesn't have help from his teammates. And the Celtics are playing like they should now. The 3 vets are back to their consistent playoff form and Rondo is stepping up in a big way.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon May 17, 2010 10:31 pm

Yes, I know he had 9 turnovers....but show me the last guy who had 27 points, 19 rebounds, and 10 assists and is being ripped apart for not doing enough to help his team win...

his teammates were a scortching 20-52. he assisted on half of the teams baskets he didnt make.....imagine if they shot their average.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue May 18, 2010 11:53 am

why would you quit liking him...not his fault the Cavs plan didn't work....Lebron (and I still like him) has to start seeing past tomorrow.... although I think he done everything possible to try and give Cleveland a championship, I don't think Cleavland did everything possible to give Cleveland a championship.
It will be nice to cheer for the Bulls again when Lebron moves over to their team. I used to be a huge fan of the bulls when, OH! what was his name again?? played for them.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue May 18, 2010 12:11 pm

LBJ is the best player in the NBA right now. I have never really been a Kobe fan, he's only won when he's had great players around him. As far as the greatest ever, MJ is the best ever, and that probably wont change in my mind. And as for the best big guys ever. I would put Shaq on the top of the list. He dominated the NBA for 10 years.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfan » Tue May 18, 2010 12:37 pm

Stat wise right now lebron james is one of the best of all time, but the one thing I thinks he lacks right now is that killer instinct to take a game over when he needs to. If he wants to be in talks with the best players of all time like Jordan, Magic, Bird, and Bryant he needs to step up and take over games when your team stinks!! just my opinion.
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue May 18, 2010 4:27 pm

The Schwab wrote:LBJ is the best player in the NBA right now. I have never really been a Kobe fan, he's only won when he's had great players around him. As far as the greatest ever, MJ is the best ever, and that probably wont change in my mind. And as for the best big guys ever. I would put Shaq on the top of the list. He dominated the NBA for 10 years.

agreed! with all of the above, except shaq....The reason I won't say Shaq, is not free throws (although it should be noted he was terrible). I would put a more versatile big man as the best...like Wilt, Russel, even Kareem (longevity) shaq sat out a lot, healing (actually resting up for the home stretch). He was truly the most dominate but it wasn't till his Kobe and Phil days where he honed in on a Championship and then along with Wade and company he did it again. For some reason he wasn't my favorite but he showed tremendous character and I think he makes a great teammate. Personally my favorite Big men were power Forwards.... I couldn't help and I loved watching Charles Barkley and Karl Malone... these two boys held there own with the true big men of the league along with Hakeem (center/power forward).
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue May 18, 2010 5:21 pm

winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:LBJ is the best player in the NBA right now. I have never really been a Kobe fan, he's only won when he's had great players around him. As far as the greatest ever, MJ is the best ever, and that probably wont change in my mind. And as for the best big guys ever. I would put Shaq on the top of the list. He dominated the NBA for 10 years.

agreed! with all of the above, except shaq....The reason I won't say Shaq, is not free throws (although it should be noted he was terrible). I would put a more versatile big man as the best...like Wilt, Russel, even Kareem (longevity) shaq sat out a lot, healing (actually resting up for the home stretch). He was truly the most dominate but it wasn't till his Kobe and Phil days where he honed in on a Championship and then along with Wade and company he did it again. For some reason he wasn't my favorite but he showed tremendous character and I think he makes a great teammate. Personally my favorite Big men were power Forwards.... I couldn't help and I loved watching Charles Barkley and Karl Malone... these two boys held there own with the true big men of the league along with Hakeem (center/power forward).

That's exactly why I have Shaq as number 1 for big men. From his time in Orlando through the championship season with the Heat he was the most feared player in the NBA, I also love Hakeem. Barkley is the reason I am a suns fan (along with KJ) I would consider him one of the most under rated players ever, he was a 6'4" power forward for goodness sakes. Karl Malone put up great numbers, but I'm not completely on his bandwagon, he was good at one thing, the 2 man game (which is the biggest part of basketball) and he was paired with the best point guard ever. I think if you put any other above average power forward in that system with Stockton they put up just as big numbers. Just my opinion.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue May 18, 2010 5:27 pm

ndfan wrote:Stat wise right now lebron James is one of the best of all time, but the one thing I thinks he lacks right now is that killer instinct to take a game over when he needs to. If he wants to be in talks with the best players of all time like Jordan, Magic, Bird, and Bryant he needs to step up and take over games when your team stinks!! just my opinion.

and the difference being...that Bird and Magic never played on teams where the others "stunk" Jordan did and Bryant did and when they stepped it up they still lost the game or didn't come close to the finals. It takes all the pieces of the puzzle...supporting cast, coach, the right tools to make it to the end.
Lebron's problems are just beginning, the league is trying to shape his future...they didn't shape Birds or Magics..
More importantly than stepping up in a game he has to take control of his future (along with his agent) and take the package that brings him Championships, not Money (although it will be both in the end). he has to grow methodologically...like Phil taught Jordan to do. He has to not worry about being #1 in the league but #1 as a team at the end. :)

with all that said he is the most gifted athlete I have ever watched play ball.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue May 18, 2010 7:13 pm

ndfan wrote:Stat wise right now lebron james is one of the best of all time, but the one thing I thinks he lacks right now is that killer instinct to take a game over when he needs to. If he wants to be in talks with the best players of all time like Jordan, Magic, Bird, and Bryant he needs to step up and take over games when your team stinks!! just my opinion.

As someone else eluded to already, Magic and Bird never played on teams where everyone stunk in a game or series. Kobe did when Shaq left. Look what happened. Yeah, great to see you score 81 against the helpless Raptors, but it didn't make them close to a contender. Jordan was great early but never got past the Pistons. Then, Pippen and Roddman got better, and looks what happens, Jordan starts winning titles left and right. LeBron just needs help, thats all.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Wed May 19, 2010 9:05 am

Anyone want to speculate where James will end up? I am betting Chicago based on what they have already. (Rose, Deng, Noah,etc...) It will be interesting if any of the other big name free agents (Wade, Bosh) sign with anyone before James does. The only drawback to James going to Chicago is does he want to walk in Jordan's shoes or does he want to forge his own path. (If he goes to Chicago he will always be thought of as the 2nd best player in franchise history - unless he wins 6 or more rings like Jordan.)
Wherever he goes, they will move up to being one of, if not the, favorite to win it all next year.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indy5 » Wed May 19, 2010 10:50 am

Sportsrube wrote:Wherever he goes, they will move up to being one of, if not the, favorite to win it all next year.

Really? So if he goes to New York or New Jersey, they'll be one of the favorites? I don't think so. He's great but, not that great. He'll need some help and I think he'll get it, just not all of it this year. I do think if Chicago signed him or Wade, they should be among the favorites next year.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Thu May 20, 2010 10:47 am

I based my comment about whatever team he goes to becoming one of the favorites on the fact that I don't think he will go to NY or NJ without bringing Wade or Bosh along with him to those teams. With James and either one of the other 2 along with what the NY has the media will jump all over it. NJ would need James and one of other 2 along with a very good draft pick. Either way, the media will jump all over what ever team James goes to and label them as one of the "Best in the league".
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby dwade » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:59 pm

The second sentence in this paragraph is really dumb! Can you name one team that has won it all without two or more good players? It always takes more than 1 player to win it all. Look at Jordan's years winning the title, he had scotty pipen with him the entire way, and I would consider scotty to be an amazing player. Now I'm saying kobe is as good as jordan, cause he is not, but everybody needs other players to step up to win a title. Same goes for Shaq; he only won the title when he had a great guard (Kobe and my boy dwade). So maybe instead of getting down on kobe for needing a little help, you should embrace what he has done for his team and basketball in general.
dwade
NDPreps Reserve

Postby classbboy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:51 am

NE B-Baller 242 wrote:My top 10

1. Lebron
2. Kobe
3. D-Wade
4. Howard
5. Durant
6. Dirk
7. Nash
8. Melo
9. Duncan
10. Chris Paul/Derron Williams

I agree with this one more than any of the others i've seen so far. However, I would also move up Chris Paul one spot (when he's healthy), and move down Duncan a spot. Also, Derek Rose and maybe Joakim Noah could move up to the top 10 in the next 2-4 years
classbboy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:32 pm

classbboy wrote:
NE B-Baller 242 wrote:My top 10

1. Lebron
2. Kobe
3. D-Wade
4. Howard
5. Durant
6. Dirk
7. Nash
8. Melo
9. Duncan
10. Chris Paul/Derron Williams

I agree with this one more than any of the others i've seen so far. However, I would also move up Chris Paul one spot (when he's healthy), and move down Duncan a spot. Also, Derek Rose and maybe Joakim Noah could move up to the top 10 in the next 2-4 years

Rose, yes. Noah, are you kidding me? He has no potential to be a top 10 player. Even in college, he wasn't really a big star. He was a role player who played his role exceptionally well.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:41 pm

Indy5 wrote:
baseball wrote:thats one thing the Thunder lack, a true big. Krestic? and Collison are good, but they arent centers. From what ive seen Jeff Green also seems more like a natural 3 forced to play the 4. what they need is a dependable 5. they are set for the next decade with Westbrook as the point, assume they can keep him. And from what ive seen Durant shows no signs at all of wanting to leave OKC. I love Collison, but hes not a 5, wasnt even a center in college. If James Harden can develop into the player he showed gtlimpses of at ASU, they will be a fun team to watch over then next 5-8 years.

yeah Green is definitely a 3 forced to play 4, but it works fine. Just makes them more athletic. Harden could be good and Green will develop nicely I think. Obviously, Westbrook and Durant are already solid. As bad as it sounds, I was hoping they'd be terrible one more year so they could try to find a good big in the draft. Maybe they'll steal a hidden gem. Collison is a decent rebounder but thats it. Krstic is not very good IMO. I like Ibaka's energy off the bench though. He is very athletic.

How do you like the Aldrich pick up?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:08 pm

baseball wrote:
Indy5 wrote:
baseball wrote:thats one thing the Thunder lack, a true big. Krestic? and Collison are good, but they arent centers. From what ive seen Jeff Green also seems more like a natural 3 forced to play the 4. what they need is a dependable 5. they are set for the next decade with Westbrook as the point, assume they can keep him. And from what ive seen Durant shows no signs at all of wanting to leave OKC. I love Collison, but hes not a 5, wasnt even a center in college. If James Harden can develop into the player he showed gtlimpses of at ASU, they will be a fun team to watch over then next 5-8 years.

yeah Green is definitely a 3 forced to play 4, but it works fine. Just makes them more athletic. Harden could be good and Green will develop nicely I think. Obviously, Westbrook and Durant are already solid. As bad as it sounds, I was hoping they'd be terrible one more year so they could try to find a good big in the draft. Maybe they'll steal a hidden gem. Collison is a decent rebounder but thats it. Krstic is not very good IMO. I like Ibaka's energy off the bench though. He is very athletic.

How do you like the Aldrich pick up?

I think it helps. They needed a banger like him. I don't think he'll give them much post scoring though, which is what they need. I doubt Rolle(2nd round pick from LA Tech) gives them much of that. I think I'd rather take Brackins and Pondexter than Aldrich though. I guess I don't really know about Brackins but I remember Iowa State having one good player so thats probably it.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics