Minot State Head BB Coach Finalist

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Minot State Head BB Coach Finalist

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:58 am

They come down to 3, what's your thoughts?

Minot State narrows coaches list to three

By CHRIS BIERI, Sports Editor cbieri@minotdailynews.com
POSTED: April 20, 2010
The Minot State University men's basketball coach search committee and Athletic Director Rick Hedberg have narrowed their search for the next MSU coach.
On Monday, the university announced three finalists for the position of head men's basketball coach.
Among the final three is Jayden Olson, assistant men's basketball coach and recruiting coordinator at Augustana (S.D.) College; Peter Stewart, head men's basketball coach at Peninsula (Wash.) College and Jon Bishop, head men's basketball coach at the University of Saint Mary (Kan.).
"We are happy with the interest we got in the head men's basketball coaching position and the caliber of the talent in our application pool," Hedberg said. "We conducted phone interviews with our semifinalist group and look forward to meeting our finalists on campus this week. All three finalists bring several outstanding qualities to the position."
The search committee will have the three candidates on campus for interviews this week as Olson is at MSU Wednesday, Stewart Thursday and Bishop Friday. MSU expects to make an announcement on its new head coach early next week.
Hedberg said the school received around 115 total applicants.
"We narrowed it down to six semifinalists and conducted phone interviews last week with those six semifinals and narrowed that group down to three," Hedberg said.
Olson, a native of Beulah, N.D., has been at Augustana for three seasons helping the Vikings to a 67-26 record and three NCAA Tournament appearances during that time. He has recruited the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference Freshman of the Year in each of the past two seasons. Olson has also been an assistant coach at the University of North Dakota, Williston State College and New England High School. He played two seasons at Dickinson State and two at Williston State, earning at K-12 Physical Education and 7-12 Business Education degrees at Dickinson State and a Master's Degree in Kinesiology at UND.
"Jayden obviously has things were appealing to us," Hedberg said. "He's a Division II assistant coach in a successful program. Augustana has been to the NCAA playoffs each of the last three years - the three years he's been there. He's their head recruiter. They have one full-time assistant and that's Jayden. He's handled a lot of things within that successful program. Being from the Northern Sun, he has a knowledge of what it takes to be successful in the Northern Sun."
Stewart is a native of Parshall, N.D., and has been the head coach at Peninsula College for seven seasons. He has been named coach of the year two times, won three conference championships and led his team to post season play in six of the past seven seasons. Stewart coached in the Malaysian Professional Basketball League for the Perak Red Eagles and coached three teams in the Australian Professional Basketball League. He was team captain for the University of North Dakota and was named the North Central College Academic Player of the Year at UND. Stewart received his Bachelor of Business Administration at UND.
Stewart was a finalist the last time the MSU men's basketball job was open and was the runner-up for the University of Mary men's basketball job about a year ago.
"Peter's obviously done very well with his experience out in Washington," Hedberg said. "He's been successful and has proven himself there. Obviously, he's familiar with our program and with Minot being through this before."
Bishop earned his Master's Degree in Physical Education and Heath from Northwest Missouri State. He has been the head coach at the University of Saint Mary for the past two seasons turning around a program that was 3-27 before he got there to 19-11. Bishop has been an assistant coach at Pratt Community College, Missouri Western State, Angelo State, Kansas Wesleyan, Kansas Cagerz of the United States Basketball League, Northwest Missouri and Central Methodist.
"(Bishop) has some real good NAIA experience," Hedberg said. "He's been successful in the KCAC (Kansas City Athletic Conference)."
Hedberg said all three of the finalists have different strengths that they would bring to the job.
"All three of them bring something different to the table," Hedberg said. "From Jayden having the Division II assistant experience to Pete having some great junior college experience. The one thing about junior college coaches is they have to recruit. They turn over at least half their team every year. They have to know how to recruit. And obviously the NAIA experience Mr. Bishop has is a plus because he's been successful there and he's had some previous Division II experience. I'm happy with the people we have (as finalists)."
Hedberg said it was no coincidence that two of the finalists are North Dakota natives and that the university is looking for a coach who can develop and maintain a strong program over the long term.
"One of the things we look at is that they want to be at Minot State University," Hedberg said. "Obviously they know what Minot State University is all about. It's obviously not for everybody but we think it's a great opportunity for somebody to build a program here."
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Re: Minot State Head BB Coach Finalist

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:41 am

Words from the first finalist:

Olson makes campus visit
Beulah native a finalist for coaching job at Minot State

POSTED: April 22, 2010

Jayden Olson has always been motivated to become a head basketball coach.The Beulah native hopes that Minot State University gives him that opportunity.
Olson was on the MSU campus Wednesday to interview as one of three finalists for the MSU men's basketball head coaching position.
Olson has spent the last three years as the top assistant and recruiting coordinator at NCAA Division II school Augustana (S.D.) College.
Olson, who received his undergraduate at Dickinson State and his Master's at University of North Dakta, said he will bring a number of traits to the job.
"I'm demanding, I'm passionate, I'm high energy and I'm going to hold our guys accountable," Olson said. "I think at the end of the day that kids are really going to want to play for me and they're going to play extremely hard. I think we'll be disciplined and I think Minot State will be proud of the program we'll put on the floor."
Despite not having head coaching experience, he said he is prepared for the job.
"Obviously, I haven't been in that (head coach's) seat, and I haven't called the time outs, but I've done everything else to prepare," Olson said. "Running practices, running individual workouts, recruiting, campus visits, meeting with boosters. I think I'm prepared in a lot of ways."
Olson said his greatest lessons as a coach have come from working under some of the most successful coaches in the state and region.
"It goes back to my coaching background," Olson said. "My dad (former Beulah coach Doug Olson) was a high school coach. He was a head coach for 29 years and I've always wanted to be a head coach. I've always had visions. For the last seven years, I've been a college assistant and after every game, I ask, "What would I do different? If I was the head coach, what would I have done?"
"It goes back to my mentors."
Those mentors include former Williston State College coach Terry Olson and former UND head coach and current Concordia College (Moorhead, Minn.) coach Rich Glas, both of whom Olson worked under.
At Augustana, Olson is on the staff of head coach Tom Billeter, who compiled a 97-50 record in a five-season coaching stint at North Dakota State.
Augustana has been 67-26 in Olson's three years with the program, qualifying for the NCAA Tournament three times.
Olson has a stellar recent track record as a recruiter. He recruited the last two Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference Freshmen of the Year to Augustana.
"So much of recruiting is relationship building," Olson said. "At the end of the day, you're honest with them and you want kids that want to be here. If you can get right kind of kids -the kind of kids that are academically accountable, socially responsible, athletically capable of competing at a championship level, you can win. I think it's so much of a relationship building."
Olson said his recruiting efforts at MSU would focus on finding student-athletes who are a good fit for the university.
"You want kids that want to be there," Olson said. "You want kids that want to be at Minot State. It's not necessarily a kid from California or Florida. It might be, but at the end of the day, I think you need to work really hard and find kids that want to be there. Sometimes with recruiting, people will settle. They'll say we can get this kid, so let's take him so we can be done. I'm not that kind of a guy. I'll never settle for that. I'm going to work until we can find the right kid for Minot State."
Olson said he was drawn to the position for a number of reasons, including family and the university's move to the NCAA Division II level.
"Moving closer to my family (made the job appealing)," Olson said. "My parents both live in Beulah and my brother lives in Bismarck. Being close to family. The more people I talk to about the excitement about how Minot is about to explode. Obviously the move to Division II, it's a very exciting time to be here. There's a great administration and there's a great vision for the future."
"Minot State is really progressive right now... There's a lot of excitement around the campus and the community."
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:54 am

I guess I don't know too much about Stewart and Bishop's programs, but if I am Minot State, I pick Olson as fast as I can. He is the top assistant and the main recruiter for Augustana. That is a VERY well run program and as the article said, he's recruited the last two NSIC Freshmen of the Year award winners.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:38 am

Stewart: I bring vision
Parshall native excited for potential homecoming

POSTED: April 23, 2010
Peter Stewart has a vision for creating a successful men's college basketball program.
The Parshall native wants to take that vision to Minot State University.
Stewart was on the MSU campus Thursday to interview as one of three finalists for the MSU men's basketball head coaching position.
Stewart has spent the last seven years as the head men's basketball coach at Peninsula College in Por Angeles, Wash., where he has led PC to three North Division Conference titles.
"Wherever we've been, we've had success in creating a vision, putting together a plan, and really getting a committment out of the kids, the community and putting those things together," Stewart said. "We've stuck with that. You have to make adjustments with kids, but the biggest thing is just selling kids and letting them know your vision, showing them the plan and finding those kids that want to have the committment to get there."
Stewart graduated in 1989 from University of North Dakota, where he was team captain and earned the NCAA Academic Player of the Year.
He said the opportunity to return and working in the state was a big draw.
"I think for those of us from North Dakota, it's obvious, it's not winter in January," Stewart joked. "It's the people. Obviously, I'm very familiar with the program, the community. Very familiar with the athletic director. To team up with (Athletic Director) Rick (Hedberg) again in something that could be really special for the community and the university really is attractive."
Stewart said the university's transition to NCAA Division II athletics will make for an exciting future.
"Firstly you have to secure the job," Stewart said. "Secondly, you have to put together a vision to get kids to come here and commit to what you're going to do. It's going to be a historical time for Minot State. To bring up some of the past history to help you go into the next phase of the program in Division II and create your own history. It's a unique time. There are a lot of fun challenges and that's really what they are, they should be fun."
Stewart's said the style of basketball he brings to his teams depends on the student-athletes that they have each year.
"I don't like to lose," Stewart said. "We're going to find kids that have that same mentality. In my years, we've played with tall, short, skinny, wide, fast slow. We've played all styles. With recruiting today, with the athletes you can get in, you have to make adjustments. No. 1, we're going to play defense, you'll see our teams work hard. We'll play a style of ball that will win basketball games. It may not look the same, year to year."
Stewart was a finalist for the MSU men's head coaching job the last time it was open. He said he hasn't changed significantly since that time, but is learning on a regular basis.
"You learn, you learn daily," Stewart said. "You learn from kids, you learn in your program, you learn in the community. I don't know that I've changed a great deal. Probably, some of my methodologies have changed... You really have to adapt to the level of student-athlete you can bring in. I think probably if anything, I've got better at adapting."
Stewart has a plethora of head coaching experience at a number of venues. He has operated as an assistant at MSU, MSU-Bottineau and Adams State College. He was a head coach in the Malaysian Professional Basketball League and the Australian Professional Basketball League. At Peninsula, he has twice won conference coach of the year and has led his team to the postseason in six of the past seven seasons.
"It's tremendous," Stewart said of his various coaching experiences. "I didn't take a normal career path probably out of Parshall, North Dakota that most people do. I went to the University of North Dakota and I had an opportunity to go overseas. As you look at my resume, I've coached everywhere but Africa. It's been a unique opportunity but as I've told people, it's time to come home and to bring my family back and be a member of the community."
He said community and facilities at MSU should ease the transition to Division II.
"We've talked about that a lot," Stewart said of the move. "Until I get to meet President Fuller and spend a little more time with Rick and start talking about specific numbers with budgets and so on, I think mainly, it's just a mentality. We have a community that will support it and facilities that you can recruit to. You have a community that's very supportive of basketball, but I think the biggest thing is just a vision."
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:57 am

Indy5 wrote:I guess I don't know too much about Stewart and Bishop's programs, but if I am Minot State, I pick Olson as fast as I can. He is the top assistant and the main recruiter for Augustana. That is a VERY well run program and as the article said, he's recruited the last two NSIC Freshmen of the Year award winners.

I couldn't agree more. I've looked at each of the 3 on their schools web site. It looks likes Olson brings the most to the table. I hope the ol' boy routine don't come into play.
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:15 pm

As an MSU alum, I hope they go with Stewart. I believe his experiences put him ahead of the other two and I would like to see him get a shot at turning the MSU program around.
I could also live with Olson but I would rather see Stewart running the show. It would be nice to see them get back to the days of having more than a handful of ND kids in the program but I don't know if they could be competitve at the DII level with mostly ND kids. Who ever they hire, I hope he can recruit as well as coach or has the brains to hire an assistant who can really recruit.

GO BEAVERS :!:
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BB11 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:54 am

It will be Stewart. I guarantee it. For reasons that are obvious - so I won't state them and get myself in trouble. the interviews with the other two were simply a formality.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:41 pm

From the Minot Daily:

Jon Bishop describes himself as a perfectionist.

The head coach from University of St Mary (Kan.) thinks he may also be the perfect candidate for the Minot State University men's basketball head coaching job.
Bishop was on the MSU campus Friday to interview as the last of three finalists for the MSU men's basketball head coaching position.
"I think one of the things I bring to the job is I'm very demanding," Bishop said. "I'm a high-energy guy. I'm going to bring in kids that are going to be accountable, not only on the basketball court, but in the classroom and the community. I think that's as important as bringing in talented kids. I don't settle for being average. Probably my biggest fault is that I'm a perfectionist."
In his two years at St. Mary, Bishop produced five KCAC all-conference players and two NAIA Division II All-Americans.
The year before Bishop started at St. Mary, the team was 3-27. In his first year at the helm, St. Mary was 19-11.
Bishop said he brings a high-paced style of play to the bench.
"We get up and down a lot," Bishop said. "I think it's a fun way to play, it's a fun style to coach. It's how I played when I was a player in some of the systems that I've been in... Obviously, we're trying to get as many stops as possible, but made or miss, we're going to get it to the right people and get it up and down the court. I like guys that can do different things. I don't like guys that are one-dimensional. Having guys that can do two or three things very well allows us to be harder to guard... I'm going to put a fun product on the floor that's going to play hard, but people are going to come back and when they leave the gym they're going to walk out going those guys play hard and they're fun to watch."
Aside from his head coaching experience at NAIA Division II St. Mary, Bishop has coached as an assistant at Pratt Community College, Missouri Western State University, Angelo State University, Kansas Wesleyan and the Kansas Cagerz of the United States Basketball League.
Bishop as recruited three NCAA All-Americans and four NAIA All-Americans as his time as either a head coach or assistant.
He said he will recruit student-athletes who are a good fit for the school as the MSU Athletic Department transfers to NCAA Division II.
"You need to find the right type of kid that fits Minot State and the city of Minot and with what I want to do," Bishop said. "You talk to them about there's a plan in place and we are going in the future and this is where this plan is going to take us... With the type of kids I'm going to bring in, they're all going to be focused on wanting to be the same place coach Bishop and Minot State University and wanting to be on the path we're headed down."
Bishop has a has a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Central Methodist College in Fayette, Mo., and his M.S. Ed. - Physical Education and Health from Northwest Missouri State in Maryville, Mo.
Bishop said he has been impressed with what he saw at MSU and said it appears the athletic department is primed for future success.
"Looking at it from the outside in before I got here, I thought it was just fabulous and I've been absolutely blown away since I've been on campus," Bishop said. "I think you've got the three things you need to be successful - a great facility that you can recruit to, a great proactive campus and a community that to me, is the perfect size to support this type of athletic program and department."
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:30 pm

Stewart was awarded the job. Congratulations to him. I hope he does a great job. I'm sure we'll see a few more ND kids in the program. I just really wish Olson would have got the job. I think he would have been masterful recruiter. But, Stewart got it, and I'm sure he will do a terrific job, and good luck to him.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:55 am

Indy, I couldn't said it better. I hope everything will work out. :|
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:05 pm

I am excited to see Stewart get the job, I am really hoping he can make the Beavers relevant at the DII level. Hopefully he can recruit talented kids and keep some of the ones already there.
- Any word on Malzer - staying or leaving?
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indy5 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:56 pm

Sportsrube wrote:I am excited to see Stewart get the job, I am really hoping he can make the Beavers relevant at the DII level. Hopefully he can recruit talented kids and keep some of the ones already there.

He was at the open gym on Monday.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:22 am

Indy5 wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:I am excited to see Stewart get the job, I am really hoping he can make the Beavers relevant at the DII level. Hopefully he can recruit talented kids and keep some of the ones already there.

He was at the open gym on Monday.

Rumor has it, he's looking at Bottineau. I just hope Stewart can keep a core group of the guys.
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:47 am

Bottineau might not be a bad idea for a year, lots of playing time I'm sure. Then he could come back to MSU and play. The only down side I could see would be if he was going to get lots of minutes at MSU this year then it wouldn't make sense for him to transfer to Bottineau.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:29 am

Sportsrube wrote:Bottineau might not be a bad idea for a year, lots of playing time I'm sure. Then he could come back to MSU and play. The only down side I could see would be if he was going to get lots of minutes at MSU this year then it wouldn't make sense for him to transfer to Bottineau.

Don't know either way. I hope he stays at MSU, I like watching him play.
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby eyeinthesky » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:37 am

Mighty-Mouse wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:Bottineau might not be a bad idea for a year, lots of playing time I'm sure. Then he could come back to MSU and play. The only down side I could see would be if he was going to get lots of minutes at MSU this year then it wouldn't make sense for him to transfer to Bottineau.

Don't know either way. I hope he stays at MSU, I like watching him play.

IF he goes to Dakota College at Bottineau I don't see him coming back to Minot State. With the coaching change anything is possible though. I had also heard late in the season that he was looking at Williston State.

Whatever he does I just hope the kid is happy and plays hard!
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:34 pm

It seems unlikely that he would transfer before getting to know Pete Stewart and his system.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Ticket » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:12 am

Rumors rumors rumors we all love rumors, if anything playing for stewart made him want to stay.
Big Ticket
NDPreps Starter

Postby Basketballfan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:50 am

Rumor has it Minot State is looking for a New Coach, Stewart put in his resignation. Which is horriable if true, one heck of a team that was on board with Stewart and what he was doing, just needed to get the proper building blocks in place.
Basketballfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby MoSiouxFan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:24 pm

Basketballfan wrote:Rumor has it Minot State is looking for a New Coach, Stewart put in his resignation. Which is horriable if true, one heck of a team that was on board with Stewart and what he was doing, just needed to get the proper building blocks in place.

What happened? I'm out of state and haven't followed this situation. I thought he was just hired a few months ago.
MoSiouxFan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:04 pm

MoSiouxFan wrote:
Basketballfan wrote:Rumor has it Minot State is looking for a New Coach, Stewart put in his resignation. Which is horriable if true, one heck of a team that was on board with Stewart and what he was doing, just needed to get the proper building blocks in place.

What happened? I'm out of state and haven't followed this situation. I thought he was just hired a few months ago.

He's coached two seasons.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby MoSiouxFan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:57 pm

Thanks; I didn't pay close enough attention to the dates earlier in this thread. In retrospect, perhaps Minot missed out on a good one in Jayden Olson, as he was hired by Miles at Colorado State two years ago after he was passed over for the Minot job and then was hired by Miles again at Nebraska in April after Miles took the Nebraska head job. He's worked his way up the ladder fairly quickly.
MoSiouxFan
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Hot Topics