Dickinson State Women

No smack talk is allowed here.

Dickinson State Women

Postby eyeinthesky » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:45 am

From the Dickinson Press:

Andre Goldberg no longer has an interim tag next to his name.

On Tuesday, Dickinson State announced the signing of the 25-year-old as its new head women’s basketball coach.

Goldberg coached the Blue Hawks to a 15-13 record during the 2009-10 season as the team’s interim head coach, a title he had held since July 31 when he was named Guy Fridley’s replacement.

“I’m just excited to continue to contribute to Dickinson State,” Goldberg said. “I’ve been blessed with a great opportunity to be the head women’s basketball coach and I look forward to next year.”

While DSU endured its struggles in Goldberg’s first season at the helm, he had the best season of any first-year coach at DSU since Jo Lindquist guided the 1978-79 team to a 15-10 record.

DSU opened the year with a rousing win over defending NAIA Division II national champion Morningside at home but suffered some misfortunes as the season wore on.

The Blue Hawks lost eight games by four points or less, finished fifth in the Dakota Athletic Conference’s regular-season standings and lost to Valley City State in the opening round of the DAC tournament.

“It was a learning experience for me and we’re going to use the positive things and continue to do those things and we’re going to learn from the negative things that happen and fix them so they don’t become problems in the future,” Goldberg said.

DSU athletic director Roger Ternes said he was impressed with Goldberg’s performance after having no chance to recruit and little offseason time to prepare.

Ternes added that he believes Goldberg’s best coaching years are ahead of him.

“We’re happy with his energy and his enthusiasm and knowledge of the game,” Ternes said. “Give him some time. I’m sure we’ll be very pleased.”

While the Blue Hawks lose two-time All-American center Kia Herbel, Goldberg will have a talented and experienced group of players joining his first recruiting class, which looks to be one of the best in recent history.

Guards Kelsey Boedeker, Teryl Norton, Kylee Bitter and Jessica Nieves all started last season and senior forward Amber Adams was the team’s second-leading scorer and rebounder. Backups Krystal Burns and Amanda Jenson also made headway while seeing the floor more often.

Goldberg said he likes the idea of those returners welcoming talented high school recruits Stef Bohrer, Jordyn Bender, Devan Koch, Hailey Schaper, and junior college transfers Mandy Mullock, a center from Sheridan (Wyo.) College, and Terri Washington, a point guard who redshirted at DSU last season.

“What I’m really excited about is the ladies we have coming back,” Goldberg said. “We have great, great people and people that the community can really get behind. We’re excited about the recruiting class we’re bringing in.”
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges