Joe Hanstad

Class AA Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Joe Hanstad

Postby cheeze it » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:52 am

What college do you think Joe Hanstad will go to next year?
cheeze it
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Joe Hanstad

Postby InsideMan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:41 pm

alot depends on how he plays this summer because I don't think he has the offers that he wants
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:36 pm

InsideMan wrote:alot depends on how he plays this summer because I don't think he has the offers that he wants

If he isn't satisfied with his offers he is crazy.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller24 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:22 pm

Indy5 wrote:
InsideMan wrote:alot depends on how he plays this summer because I don't think he has the offers that he wants

Or maybe Joe thinks he can still play better and improve his game.. I honestly hope he isnt happy with his scholarship offers, because that would mean that Joe has something that a lot of high school kids these days dont have, that thing being motivation to become a better athlete and have drive to get to be better rather then settling for just any D1 scholarship.. Best of luck to Joe this summer
baller24
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:26 pm

baller24 wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

Or maybe Joe thinks he can still play better and improve his game.. I honestly hope he isnt happy with his scholarship offers, because that would mean that Joe has something that a lot of high school kids these days dont have, that thing being motivation to become a better athlete and have drive to get to be better rather then settling for just any D1 scholarship.. Best of luck to Joe this summer

Well obvisously, you want him to be motivated, but I don't think that will be an issue whether he is satisfied with his offers or not. But given the schools that have been recruiting him, I would have to wonder what else he would want.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:59 pm

I know of most of the schools to contact/recruit him but that doesnt mean they have offered him. Alot of recruiting is coaches calling you and saying "hey, we know you're out there and the type of player you are. we have some interest and if the cards fall right we may just offer you a scholarship."

Now everyone knows Gonzaga has contacted him, but he may be #3-4 on their lists of guards they really want to land. if they havent offered him yet, and whiff on a few or all of the guys ahead of him, he may get the offer.

If I remember right, Dufault never got any major offers until after the summer leading up to his senior year. Coaches follow the high school season, but the AAU scene is where you really place yourself among other players.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:34 pm

baseball wrote:I know of most of the schools to contact/recruit him but that doesnt mean they have offered him. Alot of recruiting is coaches calling you and saying "hey, we know you're out there and the type of player you are. we have some interest and if the cards fall right we may just offer you a scholarship."

Now everyone knows Gonzaga has contacted him, but he may be #3-4 on their lists of guards they really want to land. if they havent offered him yet, and whiff on a few or all of the guys ahead of him, he may get the offer.

If I remember right, Dufault never got any major offers until after the summer leading up to his senior year. Coaches follow the high school season, but the AAU scene is where you really place yourself among other players.

Yeah I know that just because a school has contacted him, doesn't mean they are offering him, but a lot of times they do end up offering a player. That also depends how much they have contacted him. If it was just a one time thing, then no, they won't offer him, but if it was multiple times, there's a good chance he'll be offered.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby InsideMan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:06 am

He shouldn't be content with offers from NDSU and Montana St. and it is nothing against those schools - If he has those schollys that early, he should be working towards landing bigger ones. Dufault did blow up during the aau season going into his senior year which is where the majority of coaches take the closest look at the players. If he doesn't come away with any more offers after this summer he still might sneak in at the last second if the bigger programs miss out on their #1 and #2 options. That is alot of pressure for the summer session.
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:17 am

InsideMan wrote:He shouldn't be content with offers from NDSU and Montana St. and it is nothing against those schools - If he has those schollys that early, he should be working towards landing bigger ones. Dufault did blow up during the aau season going into his senior year which is where the majority of coaches take the closest look at the players. If he doesn't come away with any more offers after this summer he still might sneak in at the last second if the bigger programs miss out on their #1 and #2 options. That is alot of pressure for the summer session.

I guess I have heard of more schools recruiting him than you have. Info came from a very reliable source too.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:23 am

Schools recruiting him are, as everyone knows, very good schools. That is not the important part though.

Say Kansas had shown interest. If they don't offer a scholarship, their interest doesn't matter much anymore. InsideMan is stating that Joe will keep working hard to get a bigtime scholarship like a Kansas or a Gonzaga.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:42 pm

One thing we all forget is, Joe has to find a school to fit him, no matter what division it is. I hope Joe finds that fit, he's worked hard.
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby InsideMan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:19 am

hopefully he has a good summer - so much is riding on it.
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby King James » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:19 pm

If Joe goes to a place like Gonzaga he will most likely be a shooter or a role player like Dufault is at Colorado, but if he goes to a place like NDSU he can be a big impact player for them. Dufault I believe has/had more upside than Hanstad had and look what his role at colorado is.
Wheres the elbow
King James
NDPreps All-State

Postby InsideMan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:22 pm

That level of play is unbelieveable - It all comes down to what his career goals are. Also, what he wants to do after college needs to be taken into account which Im sure he is going to do.
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby King James » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:27 pm

i think some teams who are recruiting joe may look to transform him to play point guard. a lot like scheyer at duke who is about the same height as joe with a similar body type too. that may also be a factor
Wheres the elbow
King James
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:04 pm

King James wrote:If Joe goes to a place like Gonzaga he will most likely be a shooter or a role player like Dufault is at Colorado, but if he goes to a place like NDSU he can be a big impact player for them. Dufault I believe has/had more upside than Hanstad had and look what his role at colorado is.

Dufault knew he wouldnt be a go-to guy on that team as soon as he signed. Doesnt matter who your big guy is, the offense Bzdelik has always run has gone through the guards first. he recruits bigs who can set a screen and pop for a 15-18 foot jumper and the occasional 3...exactly the player Dufault is. Another thing you have to realize about his role is that they were expecting him to play the PF position and switch over tot he SF when they go with a big lineup. Harris-Tunks was supposed to come in and play the 5 and he just never panned out like expected...forcing Austin to slide over and play the C position which was a mismatch EVERY game.

Next year should be better for him as he will play his natural position. They are getting a 7 footer (orignally going to Gonzaga, they advised him to go to JUCO to get his grades up and polish his game, now they dont have room for him). He has dominated the JUCO level the past 2 years and will likely come in and be the starting Center. I believe playing undersized at the 5 spot is what lead to Austin being pulled from the starting lineup a few games as he had a tendancy to get in foul trouble because he didnt have the strength needed to guard guys like Cole Aldrich and Dexter Pittman.

I think he will leave Colorado as a 1000 point scorer as well as 500+ rebounds.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:53 pm

Hanstad has more upside than Dufault in my mind because he is more of a pure scorer. 6'4'' is tall enough to be a 2 guard in D1. If nothing else, he can be a volume 3 point shooter, like a JJ Reddick.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby InsideMan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:43 pm

like baseball alluded to, so much depends on the system that the team plays. Alot of kids make the mistake of going to a school because of the name on the front of the jersey. He is a smart kid with a good support system. He will make a good decision and I can't wait to watch him on the next level. Somebody other to watch other then dufault getting windmilled on by blake griffin haha.
InsideMan
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:20 pm

Joe committed to Boise State, 100% sure as I heard it from him.

Leon Rice was the assistant coach at Gonzaga who had been recruiting Joe and when Rice took the Boise State job, he gave Hanstad the offer and Joe has committed. It looks like he will have a good chance to contribute/start as a freshman.

I could not be happier for the kid.

Congratulations.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller24 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:17 pm

balla45 wrote:Joe committed to Boise State, 100% sure as I heard it from him.

Leon Rice was the assistant coach at Gonzaga who had been recruiting Joe and when Rice took the Boise State job, he gave Hanstad the offer and Joe has committed. It looks like he will have a good chance to contribute/start as a freshman.

Congratulations.

Boise State Big Dance 2012??
baller24
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:34 pm

baller24 wrote:
balla45 wrote:Joe committed to Boise State, 100% sure as I heard it from him.

Congratulations.

Boise State Big Dance 2012??

Seriously? Unless they have better older players, we can't get ahead of ourselves. We all know Joe could arguably be the best player in ND history, and probably will contribute and maybe start as a freshman at Boise State, but he isn't going to have a John Wall impact. Dufault contributed and was a spot starter as a freshman. I know Joe is a lot better than Dufault, but still, He won't totally dominate the WAC as a freshman. Maybe we could say Boise State Big Dance 2015?? But even then, we don't know if he'll turn into a great enough player to get his team to the dance by himself.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:06 pm

He wouldn't need to have a John Wall like impact. The WAC and SEC are very different. Winning the WAC tournament would be easier than winning the SEC tournament or keeping a top 25 ranking all season long. I don't think a lot of people realize how good Joe actually is.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:21 am

balla45 wrote:He wouldn't need to have a John Wall like impact. The WAC and SEC are very different. Winning the WAC tournament would be easier than winning the SEC tournament or keeping a top 25 ranking all season long. I don't think a lot of people realize how good Joe actually is.

I know he doesn't need to be as good as Wall, but I meant I don't think he will totally dominate the WAC as a freshman.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby senser » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:13 am

Boise State? huh.

I was getting my hopes up for summer ball to see what his options were. He must have fell in love with something to go there.
senser
NDPreps Starter

Postby BHSrunner » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:20 am

senser wrote:Boise State? huh.

I was getting my hopes up for summer ball to see what his options were. He must have fell in love with something to go there.

Boise is a great place to live. I really had my heart set on Boise State to run track and XC, but I shifted my interests once I gained interest from East Coast schools.

I know the assistant coach of Gonzaga taking the BSU job had a lot to do with it, but the WAC is a conference he can definitely excel in, and like I said, Boise is a really nice place to be.
BHSrunner
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Boys