Realignment talk: Here we go

The teams in Class AA.

Re: Realignment talk: Here we go

Postby Indy5 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:02 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:sounds like next year is the last year of Oak Grove's coop with Park Christian...so who knows where OG will be sitting...

Is Park Christian big enough to field thier own team or are they co-oping with someone else?
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:28 pm

Indy5 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:sounds like next year is the last year of Oak Grove's coop with Park Christian...so who knows where OG will be sitting...

Is Park Christian big enough to field thier own team or are they co-oping with someone else?

I don't know the extent of it...I just know that the coop is about 95% sure its coming to an end
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:20 am

That would drop them down to the A division then
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:05 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Just to satisfy my curiousity, I sat down with the new enrollment figures to try to break it down to include a 6man division.

Class A 11man stays with the current 13 teams allowing growth in Minot, WF, and Bismarck to eventually expand to 16 in possibly the next 5 yrs.

Class B 11man would include the following 32 teams....DL, Whap, TM, VC, Shanley, StMary's, CC, Grafton, OG, Kind, Beulah, Carrington, Lisbon, Ryan, Rugby, Botno, Langdon, WC, Trinity, Larimore, Stanley/PL, Hazen, DLB, MPCG, Killdeer, Oakes, North Cass, Newtown, Standing Rock, and any 3 of the following that might opt up Cavalier, Velva, Harvey, Hillsboro depending on other co-ops being split up. I know its a stretch to have Hillsboro playing DL so maybe 24 in this division would be best.

9man would include the following 32 teams....Northwood, Hatton, Enderlin, MV, Tioga, Griggs, Park Riv, Lewis Clark, New Salem, Garrison, Bowman, Kidder, Linton, Lamoure, Kenmare, Hetting/Scrant, EK, North Border, Beach, Parshall, Thomp, Surrey, Dunseith, NRS, TGU, MLS, Hank, Sarg Cent, Benson County? and possible new co-ops to match ones in other sports Glen Ull/Heb, Cent Prairie, Northstar/MS.

6man could include the remaining roughly 40 teams depending on current dissolutions and other co-ops....Ray, Westhope, Glenburn, BN, RT, Max, Midway, Minto, Milnor, NS, CV, Belfield, Rolla, So Heart, Flasher, Ashley, Wishek, Richland, Wilton, Ellendale, Divide, Wynd, Lidg, Nap, Drayton/ST, Valley/Edin, Trenton, Lakota, Drake, Shiloh, SZ, MR, CS and the following could opt up to 9man....FW, SJ, DP, Washburn. The following might also be able to field 6man teams RW, Leeds, Maddock, PBK, Wells, Muni/Stark, Hope Page, Finley.

I know most of this is just wishful thinking and has next to no chance of ever happening, but I just thought I'd throw it out there for discussion. Right now in the bottom 3 divisions there are about 90 teams and I believe by adding a 6man division we could easily add 10-15 new football teams.

I love the Idea of 10-15 new teams, I like the Idea of having one coop for all sports shuch as central prairie.

I like keeping 11 man in 16- 24 teams per division. I like the idea of the bigger school 9-man division, Linton, Hillsboro, Lamoure, Cavalier, Harvey, etc. it would be very competetive.

The 6-man div. would be expolsive and entertaining.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby bballfan7 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:56 pm

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Just to satisfy my curiousity, I sat down with the new enrollment figures to try to break it down to include a 6man division.

Class A 11man stays with the current 13 teams allowing growth in Minot, WF, and Bismarck to eventually expand to 16 in possibly the next 5 yrs.

Class B 11man would include the following 32 teams....DL, Whap, TM, VC, Shanley, StMary's, CC, Grafton, OG, Kind, Beulah, Carrington, Lisbon, Ryan, Rugby, Botno, Langdon, WC, Trinity, Larimore, Stanley/PL, Hazen, DLB, MPCG, Killdeer, Oakes, North Cass, Newtown, Standing Rock, and any 3 of the following that might opt up Cavalier, Velva, Harvey, Hillsboro depending on other co-ops being split up. I know its a stretch to have Hillsboro playing DL so maybe 24 in this division would be best.

9man would include the following 32 teams....Northwood, Hatton, Enderlin, MV, Tioga, Griggs, Park Riv, Lewis Clark, New Salem, Garrison, Bowman, Kidder, Linton, Lamoure, Kenmare, Hetting/Scrant, EK, North Border, Beach, Parshall, Thomp, Surrey, Dunseith, NRS, TGU, MLS, Hank, Sarg Cent, Benson County? and possible new co-ops to match ones in other sports Glen Ull/Heb, Cent Prairie, Northstar/MS.

6man could include the remaining roughly 40 teams depending on current dissolutions and other co-ops....Ray, Westhope, Glenburn, BN, RT, Max, Midway, Minto, Milnor, NS, CV, Belfield, Rolla, So Heart, Flasher, Ashley, Wishek, Richland, Wilton, Ellendale, Divide, Wynd, Lidg, Nap, Drayton/ST, Valley/Edin, Trenton, Lakota, Drake, Shiloh, SZ, MR, CS and the following could opt up to 9man....FW, SJ, DP, Washburn. The following might also be able to field 6man teams RW, Leeds, Maddock, PBK, Wells, Muni/Stark, Hope Page, Finley.

I know most of this is just wishful thinking and has next to no chance of ever happening, but I just thought I'd throw it out there for discussion. Right now in the bottom 3 divisions there are about 90 teams and I believe by adding a 6man division we could easily add 10-15 new football teams.

I love the Idea of 10-15 new teams, I like the Idea of having one coop for all sports shuch as central prairie.

I like keeping 11 man in 16- 24 teams per division. I like the idea of the bigger school 9-man division, Linton, Hillsboro, Lamoure, Cavalier, Harvey, etc. it would be very competetive.

The 6-man div. would be expolsive and entertaining.

I really dont know if Central Prairie could feild a 9 man team, I'm not sure on how many kids go to Jamestown to play football now but i know in the past there were only a few kids that went.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:19 pm

bballfan7 wrote:
I really dont know if Central Prairie could feild a 9 man team, I'm not sure on how many kids go to Jamestown to play football now but i know in the past there were only a few kids that went.

That could be because they don't think they'll be able to play in Jamestown. If they have a team in their school they would probably be more apt to play.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby bballfan7 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:54 pm

Indy5 wrote:
bballfan7 wrote:

That could be because they don't think they'll be able to play in Jamestown. If they have a team in their school they would probably be more apt to play.

I dont know why they figured they wouldnt play at jamestown in the past medina has had some pretty athletic kids and Jamestown hasnt been very good at all. Im not sure what Gackle and Streeter would bring to the mix they play football with Napoleon so I am not sure but i think that most of the kids that actually saw the field were from napoleon.
bballfan7
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:13 pm

Enrollment wise they would be at 50 - 28 for Medina and 22 for Gackle. That is more of a pool than a lot of 9man teams have right now.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:32 am

Or, they could be 6-man any school or coop who can put 5 basketball players on the court should be able to put 6 football players on the field.

So schools like Midkota, could have their own program and they don't have to travel 60 miles to practice.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:14 am

The only problem with some of these schools that haven't had their own program for a number of year is the startup costs. Buying equipment and uniforms is pretty expensive plus a lot of football fields are long gone so to reuild one could be spendy as well.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:05 am

Of course you know we are most likley dreaming here but, I would be interested to see if schools without programs now would consider dropping their coop to field their own team. If not, then this whole discussion is mute, but I truley believe 6-man football would be great for North Dakota.

As far as equipment start up costs go, it really would not be that much since you are only going to need about 20 sets of equipment. At about $200 per player, the field would be a community project, now you have gate and consession income that you never had, parents and players could justify gas costs running to another town for practice and games.

You want to save small town North Dakota keep your school and sports programs. co-oping is the begining of the end. We should have had 6-man football 30 years ago when the co-ops first started.
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby classB4ever » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Gridiron Guru, or anybody that might know the answer:
Have you heard how kids coming from a 6-man team have adjusted to college football in other states? Was just curious. I know some kids who have struggled going from 9-man to 11-man in college and many that have done very well. Was curious how the 6-man to 11-man transition would be and also what kind of influence it has on how college coaches recruit them.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:45 am

classB4ever wrote:Gridiron Guru, or anybody that might know the answer:
Have you heard how kids coming from a 6-man team have adjusted to college football in other states? Was just curious. I know some kids who have struggled going from 9-man to 11-man in college and many that have done very well. Was curious how the 6-man to 11-man transition would be and also what kind of influence it has on how college coaches recruit them.

Excellent question, and I would love to dispell some myths about 9-man / 6-man football and how players adjust to college football.

There are several players from Texas and Nebraska who went on to play div. 1 football that played 6-man football in high school. I remember back when Nebraska was contending for the national championship every year in the 80's and 90's they would high-lite a kid on the team who played 6-man football.

If you are 6'4" 240 pounds and run a 4.5 40 yard dash you are going to play college footbal no matter what class of football you played in high school.

As far as 9-man goes it is an easy transiton to college, you can run ANY 11-man offense in 9-man, only difference is that there are no offenseive tackles.

I played 9-man in high school and I will admit it was a challenge my first year but they played me at offenseive tackle in college which was my worst fear going in. However my coaching in College was light years ahead of the coaching (if you want to call it coaching) that I had in high school, the better you are coached in high school the easier the transition.

Every skilled positon that started for us my junior year of college played 9-man football in high school, we were undefeated confrence champs and made the national playoffs.

Defense is defense, if you have speed, athletic ability, and can tackle, college coaches can make you a player at the college level regardless of what division you played in high school.

No one should EVER think that they are not good enough to play at the next level because they played small school ball. All you need is speed, ability, and a ton of desire to succeed.

Coaches on the recruiting trail are going to look at your size, strength, speed, abiltiy, and grades. Not how many players there are on the field. Then, if you make it to the next level they will play you where you will have the most success and where you will help the team out the most.
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:10 pm

Read in the paper the other day that West Fargo school board will put building another high school on the ballot this year. If it passes the high school will be in operation in 2012. That would be another team added to AAA. Anybody heard of any talks in Bismarck or Minot? With how fast Bismarck is growing it wouldn't surprise me there.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bisonguy06 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:02 pm

From what I understand, Minot is basically holding steady in terms of enrollment. They have had one large high school for a long time and I don't think there are any plans on the horizon.

It sure looks like Bismarck will continue to grow. There will come a time when they're due for another high school, but I don't think they have it in their immediate plans, either.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby g.f.basketball » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Minot has actually declined somewhat substantially in enrollment as has Minot Ryan. In fact, West Fargo is now a larger school system than Minot. Minot will never add another public high school. As for Bismarck, it has continued to grow. However, the 2 public high schools are currently sufficient and should be for the forseeable future. Remember, Bismarck only has about 60,000 people (not even quite two Minots). This makes it the size of many Twin Cities suburbs that have only one or two highschools at the most.
g.f.basketball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wildcat » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:27 am

g.f.basketball wrote:Minot has actually declined somewhat substantially in enrollment as has Minot Ryan. In fact, West Fargo is now a larger school system than Minot. Minot will never add another public high school. As for Bismarck, it has continued to grow. However, the 2 public high schools are currently sufficient and should be for the forseeable future. Remember, Bismarck only has about 60,000 people (not even quite two Minots). This makes it the size of many Twin Cities suburbs that have only one or two highschools at the most.

I wouldn't say Minot will NEVER add another school. Minot's growing at a decent rate right now because of oil activity. New businesses continue to come in Minot including many new restaurants, a few new big holels...Minot is growing. They're well over 40,000 as the new census will tell you when the year is done.

While it is far away if Minot ever had to get another enrollment, Minot isn't really losing kids anymore. It's started to go the other way.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wildcat » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:29 am

Wildcat wrote:
g.f.basketball wrote:Minot has actually declined somewhat substantially in enrollment as has Minot Ryan. In fact, West Fargo is now a larger school system than Minot. Minot will never add another public high school. As for Bismarck, it has continued to grow. However, the 2 public high schools are currently sufficient and should be for the forseeable future. Remember, Bismarck only has about 60,000 people (not even quite two Minots). This makes it the size of many Twin Cities suburbs that have only one or two highschools at the most.

I wouldn't say Minot will NEVER add another school. Minot's growing at a decent rate right now because of oil activity. New businesses continue to come in Minot including many new restaurants, a few new big holels...Minot is growing. They're well over 40,000 as the new census will tell you when the year is done.

While it is far away if Minot ever had to get another school, Minot isn't really losing kids anymore. It's started to go the other way.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:53 am

I have been told that even tho Bismarck is much smaller than Fargo population wise, they have more kids in their school system than Fargo. Many more young families moving to Bismarck.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby GoPack#2 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:17 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Indy5 wrote:

I don't know the extent of it...I just know that the coop is about 95% sure its coming to an end

Does anybody know why this may happen??
"Give them nothing but take from them everything"
GoPack#2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby COACHWEST » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:12 am

New proposal (2011-2012) is out today on NDHSAA.com.

http://www.ndhsaa.org/athletics/football

Let the debates begin.
COACHWEST
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:07 am

COACHWEST wrote:New proposal (2011-2012) is out today on NDHSAA.com.

http://www.ndhsaa.org/athletics/football

Let the debates begin.

Is there any way GCC could break up that co-op a little? I just don't think thats a team that should be in AA football.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:47 am

That is crazy, too. I'm guessing something will change with their co-op before the plan gets finalized if they are stuck in AA. Can't see any team opting up either. I'm sure Watford and Hazen are just fine being in A and I can't see Botno opting back up into AA because of travel. Nice to see Harvey, Velva, and DT opt up and stay in their divisions. Lot of interesting changes, tho. Teams like Cav, Bowman, and Lamoure that have been 11man forever moving down to 9man, while Kidder, DSTVE, WNG, and RTH who have been 9man forever moving up to 11man. Didn't look at region assignments too closely, but I think its rediculous that they have Benson Cty in reg 3 playing up in the NE when Northstar makes more sense to have up in that region. VC playing in the West region of AA is interesting, too, but I don't know what other team you move over in that region....unless a team out west opts up
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:53 am

ndlionsfan wrote:That is crazy, too. I'm guessing something will change with their co-op before the plan gets finalized if they are stuck in AA. Can't see any team opting up either. I'm sure Watford and Hazen are just fine being in A and I can't see Botno opting back up into AA because of travel. Nice to see Harvey, Velva, and DT opt up and stay in their divisions. Lot of interesting changes, tho. Teams like Cav, Bowman, and Lamoure that have been 11man forever moving down to 9man, while Kidder, DSTVE, WNG, and RTH who have been 9man forever moving up to 11man. Didn't look at region assignments too closely, but I think its rediculous that they have Benson Cty in reg 3 playing up in the NE when Northstar makes more sense to have up in that region. VC playing in the West region of AA is interesting, too, but I don't know what other team you move over in that region....unless a team out west opts up

Barnes Griggs made their bed with their idiotic coop now they have to sleep in it.
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:06 pm

well the realignment has Oak Grove in AA and they won't have as many kids starting in 2011 because Park Christian wants to field their own team in MN 9-man that year
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

PreviousNext

Return to AA