State Tourney

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: State Tourney

Postby Eminence » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:04 pm

Rich_2999 wrote:I don't believe a majority of the posts on this site are generated from high school students. I believe they are from parents trying to live through their children.

It may be hard for you to believe but there are "Girl Basketball Fans" who appreciate players and the game for what it is. It's when posts get personal or degrading that ruin it for the rest of us. I do wish there was more input from the east because you only get what the paper reports. It was fun seeing the teams from the East which did dominate this year.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Rich_2999 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:05 pm

grlsbballfan wrote:
Rich_2999 wrote:Maybe I was mis-understood.

I think Century this year and Bismarck last year were deserving of the Title the better team did win on both occasions.

Although, from an outsiders view in reading a lot of the posts and topics in this forum you would think Fargo South is untouchable and is a repeated state champion.

Every loss they had on the season they had excuses for such players being sick to many other factors. Since I believe they had a healthy roster at the state tournament I really don’t see how they could lose based on all the posts generated in this forum.

So based on this I drew the conclusion and asked the question.

I myself never thought it was a choke job. I knew South would not win based on the depth of the bench. The question was meant for all those who declared this team the state champions before the ball even hit the floor.

Hey Rich, how did your team do this year? If i am not mistaken they lost to a #7 seed and a #5 seed in the WDA tournament.If you didnt think i was a choke job then why did you you type it!

I didn't state it I questioned it.

And I don’t believe I had stated my affliliation. But if it must be known it is true we did miss the state tourney this year but did you expect us to repeat. I did not.

Thats the difference between us you claim the accolades before they are earned.
Rich_2999
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bballcc » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:56 pm

bruins44 wrote:
Rich_2999 wrote:Would this probably be considered the biggest choke job over a 2 year span?

Rich 2999 Why would you call it a Choke job? BHS played great last year and Century was not to be denied this year, how can that be a Choke?! South has been and is a great team, losing to these two teams is not choking. I think Century was 23 - 2 this year, give them some credit! and by the way South started 3 juniors and a sophomore, name me another team this young that has done what they have in the past 2 years? 45 - 5

This is a bit disingenuous... this years team started that, but last years had more seniors if I remember correctly (Caitlyn Haring?) In any case, I don't think we should describe this year as a choke job. (while last year could have been called one fairly) I don't know anyone who thought south was unbeatable. Hats off to all the state teams.
Bballcc
NDPreps Rookie

Postby roundem6 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:45 pm

As great as South as been the past few years, no state title since '94.
Just a comment, Coach Ouren at Fargo North has completely turned that program around. I think 3rd at state exceeded all expectations of the Spartans fans.
roundem6
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby yosports » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:49 pm

By the way, when Red River beat South, South had both Roehrich and Burck playing. When Devils Lake beat South, Roehrich was sick and did not play.
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:45 am

roundem6 wrote:As great as South as been the past few years, no state title since '94.
Just a comment, Coach Ouren at Fargo North has completely turned that program around. I think 3rd at state exceeded all expectations of the Spartans fans.

Can't really blame South for the state title drought...no EDC team has won for over 8 years (maybe even longer)! Who was the last EDC team to win the State title? Also, North really did improve this year along with Shanley.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:59 am

Rich_2999 wrote:
grlsbballfan wrote:
Rich_2999 wrote:Maybe I was mis-understood.

I think Century this year and Bismarck last year were deserving of the Title the better team did win on both occasions.

Although, from an outsiders view in reading a lot of the posts and topics in this forum you would think Fargo South is untouchable and is a repeated state champion.

Every loss they had on the season they had excuses for such players being sick to many other factors. Since I believe they had a healthy roster at the state tournament I really don’t see how they could lose based on all the posts generated in this forum.

So based on this I drew the conclusion and asked the question.

I myself never thought it was a choke job. I knew South would not win based on the depth of the bench. The question was meant for all those who declared this team the state champions before the ball even hit the floor.

Hey Rich, how did your team do this year? If i am not mistaken they lost to a #7 seed and a #5 seed in the WDA tournament.If you didnt think i was a choke job then why did you you type it!

I didn't state it I questioned it.

And I don’t believe I had stated my affliliation. But if it must be known it is true we did miss the state tourney this year but did you expect us to repeat. I did not.

Thats the difference between us you claim the accolades before they are earned.

Number One, you were implying it. Number two, I didn't see anyone claiming the accolades before they are earned. As you can see from everyone's post that NOBODY thinks FS choked. The state title game could have gone either way. It all came down to who made the shots at the end.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby yosports » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:03 pm

I agree that Fargo South was not the favorite and it would have been interesting to see Century play RR for the title. They would have matched up pretty good. Fargo South got all the hype and all the press this year again but they did get beat by North, RR and Devils Lake (without Roehrich). If you saw South play this year you know that they basically played 5 maybe 6 girls and it is really hard to win a 3-day tournament with that few of kids participating,. If Flaagan should be blamed for something it is that --not realizing he needs to play more girls in his roation (rather than run up the score with his 2 or 3 stars). Attitudes seemed to get in the way also. Easy to get into their heads. . . They will not win a state title until that changes.
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:40 am

yosports wrote:I agree that Fargo South was not the favorite and it would have been interesting to see Century play RR for the title. They would have matched up pretty good. Fargo South got all the hype and all the press this year again but they did get beat by North, RR and Devils Lake (without Roehrich). If you saw South play this year you know that they basically played 5 maybe 6 girls and it is really hard to win a 3-day tournament with that few of kids participating,. If Flaagan should be blamed for something it is that --not realizing he needs to play more girls in his roation (rather than run up the score with his 2 or 3 stars). Attitudes seemed to get in the way also. Easy to get into their heads. . . They will not win a state title until that changes.

I guess I am a little confused on this...Didn't South beat RR to get to the title game? Was RR missing players in that semi-final game that would make anyone think that they would have done better against Century? Century was the best team in the state and the only reason we can say that is because they won state. South is the best team in the EDC because they won their tournament, and beat the EDC season winner and the state's top ranked team to get to the title game.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby intensity » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:05 am

yosports wrote:I agree that Fargo South was not the favorite and it would have been interesting to see Century play RR for the title. They would have matched up pretty good. Fargo South got all the hype and all the press this year again but they did get beat by North, RR and Devils Lake (without Roehrich). If you saw South play this year you know that they basically played 5 maybe 6 girls and it is really hard to win a 3-day tournament with that few of kids participating,. If Flaagan should be blamed for something it is that --not realizing he needs to play more girls in his roation (rather than run up the score with his 2 or 3 stars). Attitudes seemed to get in the way also. Easy to get into their heads. . . They will not win a state title until that changes.

I don't really think RR would have been able to beat Century, but it would have been a good game if they had Evers.
I completely agree about the attitudes and playing only 5-6 girls. Sometimes watching South play was like watching 5 individuals playing 1v1 with their defender. When Century made runs on them, they all just seemed mad at each other.
And, IMO it's nearly impossible to win a state championship playing 5-6 girls.
intensity
NDPreps Reserve

Postby yosports » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:42 pm

South did beat RR in the semis of State but 4 min into that game when South was ahead by about 5 pts, Evers left the game with an injury (fractured foot they have now discovered), Asche soon sat down on the bench with 2 fouls, and at the end of the half Haaven got tangled up with Roehrich, rolled her ankle and did not return to the game. Things would have looked a lot different if any of those 3 things would have NOT happened. RR was a good team but lost too many key players in too short of a time. With their full team they would have given Century a good run. Also it would have been interesting to see the same 2 teams battle for a state BB title since they were 1-2 in VB!
yosports
NDPreps Starter

Postby xgatoradex » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:15 pm

roundem6 wrote:As great as South as been the past few years, no state title since '94.

i couldnt agree with you more. Fargo North taking 3rd at state surprised and exceeded many expectations of not just the Spartan fans, but of a lot of people in the EDC and State as well. They have a large (i believe there are 11 of them), very expierenced junior class (going to be seniors next year), so next years tournament should be interesting to watch. Coach Ouren is really turning that program around for the better.
xgatoradex
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scoobyx2 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:27 pm

xgatoradex wrote:

i couldnt agree with you more. Fargo North taking 3rd at state surprised and exceeded many expectations of not just the Spartan fans, but of a lot of people in the EDC and State as well. They have a large (i believe there are 11 of them), very expierenced junior class (going to be seniors next year), so next years tournament should be interesting to watch. Coach Ouren is really turning that program around for the better.

I didn't have a chance to closely watch the EDC this year, but why was it such a surprise that North got 3rd since they were the #2 team out of a very strong conference, and had beaten South during the regular season? Also, it was unfortunate on RR's injuries at State, but they were vulnerable since they had to come to State as the #3 seed.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby xgatoradex » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:52 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
xgatoradex wrote:

I didn't have a chance to closely watch the EDC this year, but why was it such a surprise that North got 3rd since they were the #2 team out of a very strong conference, and had beaten South during the regular season? Also, it was unfortunate on RR's injuries at State, but they were vulnerable since they had to come to State as the #3 seed.

A lot of people under estimated North because they havent made it to the state tournament since the 2002-2003 season and they have had rough years since then. The polls in the east didnt rank North any higher than 6th in the EDC for the season. That's how they surprised and exceeded a lot of peoples expectations in the EDC and State. They beat South during the regular season because South came into that game extremely over confident. I went to that game and it was a great one to watch. North just wanted it more and they left it all out on the court. They came out with a positive attitude and had the thought that they could beat them, and they did. They didnt come out scared, they came out ready to beat the number 1 team in the east. South needs to play together and needs to get more than 5 or 7 players in during one game. IMO that is what really hurt them in the long run. It is also very unfortunate that RR got those injuries at State but with their talent they should have had a better chance to do fairly good at State since they went in as the third seed.
xgatoradex
NDPreps Reserve

Postby intensity » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:41 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:
xgatoradex wrote:

I don't really think taking 3rd was the big surprise; the fact that they had a good season was more of a surprise. Like xgatoradex said, they were picked 6th in the EDC by the coaches. After they beat South most people believed they could do something at state, even though most probably would have picked them for 5th or 6th place.
intensity
NDPreps Reserve

Postby xgatoradex » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:00 pm

intensity wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
xgatoradex wrote:

I don't really think taking 3rd was the big surprise; the fact that they had a good season was more of a surprise. Like xgatoradex said, they were picked 6th in the EDC by the coaches. After they beat South most people believed they could do something at state, even though most probably would have picked them for 5th or 6th place.

they still surprised a lot of people with how well their season turned out. Congrats to North for a great season.
xgatoradex
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wolves65 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Fargo South gets by on talent alone and once they run up against teams with equeal talent they get beat because of coaching. The EDC is also a top heavy league and that kills them in the end. It won't get anybetter next year with Valley City coming back. South better get it this year because after they split up it will be a while. They need new blood in the coaching ranks that will develop the program not just wait around and see who shows up in 9th grade.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:07 pm

wolves65 wrote:Fargo South gets by on talent alone and once they run up against teams with equeal talent they get beat because of coaching. They need new blood in the coaching ranks that will develop the program not just wait around and see who shows up in 9th grade.

wolves65, I read in one of your previous posts that you dont follow Class A girls basketball much, if thats the case then how can you judge Fargo South!? They have had one of the most successful programs in the State for most of this coaching staffs tenure, LOOK it UP. Who do you think develops that talent? Have you been to their summer camps for elemenary and Jr high girls? summer daily workouts? summer team camps? Name me another team that started 2 sophs and a jr last year and went 24-1, and 3 jrs and a soph this year and went 21-4. Won the EDC tournament for the 5th year in a row? Lets see, they were 2-1 against Red River this year, 2-1 against North, 3-0 vs Shanley and 1-1 against Century, all equal talent as South. The EDC teams finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th at the State this year. Your arguments holds no water and you know nothing about their program.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:46 am

bruins44 wrote:
wolves65 wrote:Fargo South gets by on talent alone and once they run up against teams with equeal talent they get beat because of coaching. They need new blood in the coaching ranks that will develop the program not just wait around and see who shows up in 9th grade.

wolves65, I read in one of your previous posts that you dont follow Class A girls basketball much, if thats the case then how can you judge Fargo South!? They have had one of the most successful programs in the State for most of this coaching staffs tenure, LOOK it UP. Who do you think develops that talent? Have you been to their summer camps for elemenary and Jr high girls? summer daily workouts? summer team camps? Name me another team that started 2 sophs and a jr last year and went 24-1, and 3 jrs and a soph this year and went 21-4. Won the EDC tournament for the 5th year in a row? Lets see, they were 2-1 against Red River this year, 2-1 against North, 3-0 vs Shanley and 1-1 against Century, all equal talent as South. The EDC teams finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th at the State this year. Your arguments holds no water and you know nothing about their program.

Completely agree! South has always had a strong program, and anyone who follows Class A ball should know that the competition is expanding and it is very tough get to the Championship game. They did it 2 years in a row. There were top ranked teams who didn't even get to the tournament, and the #1 ranked team entered the State tourney as a 3rd seed out of their region. High school coaches are coaching 14-18 year old kids. There are a lot of factors that can make coaching challenging, and if anyone can continue to have a succesful program year after year, they should be respected.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby wolves65 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:21 am

Bruins44, I lived in Fargo since 1995 and have had kids in the camps. We moved out of Fargo before they played in high school. You talk records, you beat a Century team at the beginning of the year by 10 and then lost to them the last game of the year by 21. WHo got better? Red River lost 2 starters in the State A so you are 1-1. Look it UP when was the last title? They have great talent but in the games that count what happens, you lose. How many girls from South have gone to play college outside of the DAC in the last 10 years?
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:59 am

I can really only go back 8 years but I count 6 DII bball players, 1 DIII player, 2 DAC Players, 2 DI Volleyball players, 1 D1 track athlete, 1 D1 soccer player, and 2 D1 basketball players.

But by saying they dont have great players, arent you proving the point that they do not win on talent alone?
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby wolves65 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:21 am

Who were the D1 players? I never said they didn't have good players. They have good players that need to be taken to the next level and that doesn't seem to happen.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Baller » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:29 am

wolves65 wrote:Who were the D1 players? I never said they didn't have good players. They have good players that need to be taken to the next level and that doesn't seem to happen.

McKenzie Melish (sp) - D1 Track

Janna Deyle - D1 Volleyball
Amy Stroup - D1 Volleyball

Caitlyn Haring - D1 Soccer

Siri Burck - D1 Basketball
Meghan Roerich - D1 Basketball
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bruins44 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:16 am

wolves65 wrote: You talk records, you beat a Century team at the beginning of the year by 10 and then lost to them the last game of the year by 21. WHo got better? Red River lost 2 starters in the State A so you are 1-1. Look it UP when was the last title? They have great talent but in the games that count what happens, you lose. How many girls from South have gone to play college outside of the DAC in the last 10 years?

Century beat South in the Championship game by 10 not 21, South would have beat RR by 20 in the semi even if Evers didnt get hurt, did you watch that game? Do you think that the only thing that counts to have a successful program is winning State?? if it is then there are a lot of programs that dont succeed. South has won the EDC 7 times in the last 10 years, and 5 EDC tourneys in a row, thats not success? Baller listed just a few South girls that have gone on to play college, there are many more.. There is only one program in the state that has been better than South in the last 15 years and thats Mandan, THATS IT.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bruins44 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:19 am

wolves65 wrote:Who were the D1 players? I never said they didn't have good players. They have good players that need to be taken to the next level and that doesn't seem to happen.

what do you call the next level?? winning? college players?
If you want a list of all the players that have gone on to play college I can look it up. I hope the team your kids play on win every game or heaven help their coach!
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Girls