State Tourney

Class AA Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: State Tourney

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:49 pm

Century 28
Fargo South 24

1:07 left in 1st half
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby baller24 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:51 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Century 28
Fargo South 24

1:07 left in 1st half

Century over South.. Century's D was just too good for those bruins tonight...Congrats Patriots
baller24
NDPreps Starter

Postby october23sp » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:13 am

october23sp wrote:Century will win the ship.

Called it.
october23sp
NDPreps Starter

Postby P4KNBD » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:28 am

would have been fun to see what would have happened if red river didnt get bit by the injury bug early against south. two of their starters went down early in the first half and never came back into the game. rr held with south for as long as they could, being down by ten with about 8 minutes left. but then their third best post player fouled out leaving them with only one. from there on out south dominated on the boards and inside. i believe the score was misleading becuase of the injuries. just to clarify i am not saying red river would have won if they didnt have two starters go down, i am saying it would have been a close game (split in two close games in the regular season) and would have been fun to watch.
P4KNBD
NDPreps Starter

Postby Redhead » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:43 am

The Bismarck Tribune's story about Century girls' championship win over Fargo South began, "No stupid pasted-on grins this time. The smiles were for real."

Since when is a "pasted-on" grin "stupid?" It's good sportsmanship. Granted, the runnerup team is bummed, but it's no fun to watch team members all but snarl at the presenters as they receive their awards.

Cindy Peterson could have simply written, "No pasted-on grins this time."

Sheesh
Redhead
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Rich_2999 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:48 pm

With all the Hype the Bruins have received over the past 2 years. I mean according to this site they have practically been declared the State Champs throughout both seasons.

Would this probably be considered the biggest choke job over a 2 year span?
Rich_2999
NDPreps Reserve

Postby demon201 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:12 pm

I thought Coach Flaagan's comments (in the Tribune story, at least) were pretty cold too ... "I'm sick of losing this game ... we came away with nothing." Nothing? You have played in the title game the last two years. Last year, you get knocked off by a good Bismarck team, and this year Bismarck's not even in the state tournament. But you're back, and favored to run to the title game again, which you do, and then lose to a very good and well coached Century team. You've had two good teams in two years, and you've won a lot of good games, and played very respectable basketball. Your kids worked their tails off and have been the most successful team over the past two years in North Dakota. It's not a title (or two), but it's something. Maybe you call a time out in the 2nd half last night when the bleeding was starting instead of sitting there looking stone-faced and sullen and deal with it (i.e. you "coach" your team). You did well all year, twice, and your team deserves better - from you.
demon201
NDPreps Reserve

Postby demon201 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:19 pm

Happy to see Shanley win in the consolation title game, too ... Mandan's coaches and team came out acting like their collective dogs had died overnight, and they acted resentful about not being in the title or even 3rd place game. The coach's head was hanging, the kids looked like they were waiting for a butt-chewing, and meanwhile the Shanley bench was upbeat and proud to be playing and positive. It was amazing to see and hard to imagine the years of domination, tradition, and pride seemingly vanishing in just one bad season. They had a decent crowd for a 5th place game, so that was admirable. But Tradition should have held them higher from warmups through ... a win might have helped remedy the season and less of the Mandan momentum from the last 20 years could have been saved.
demon201
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Rich_2999 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:28 pm

I beleive this win by Century is just a tribute on how tough the WDA Conferance really is.

Even though as a whole they didn't have the best showing in the State Tourney but did come home with the title.

For example #7 Williston takes on #1 Red River in the first round and could of easily went Willistons way.

In my opinion the WDA is the toughest conference in the Midwest.
Rich_2999
NDPreps Reserve

Postby demon201 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:42 pm

Rich_2999 wrote:In my opinion the WDA is the toughest conference in the Midwest.

Agreed. If not toughest, then probably most balanced year after year, and deep. Less so with the boys this year, but in the last decade, the WDA boys have been very balanced, too. I imagine there are plenty of midwest teams that could come in and knock off anybody in the WDA, boys or girls ... but not a lot of conferences that are as deep.
demon201
NDPreps Reserve

Postby sportsguruguy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:42 pm

demon201 wrote:
Rich_2999 wrote:In my opinion the WDA is the toughest conference in the Midwest.

Agreed. If not toughest, then probably most balanced year after year, and deep. Less so with the boys this year, but in the last decade, the WDA boys have been very balanced, too. I imagine there are plenty of midwest teams that could come in and knock off anybody in the WDA, boys or girls ... but not a lot of conferences that are as deep.

Congrats to century, they were the better team last night.Jacobs was great! WDA as being the strongest. Don't think so! EDC placed 4 team in the top 5. In the championship game 2 players contributed to 41 of the 50 points for south! The rest of the team did not show up! Credit centurys defense!
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsguruguy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Rich_2999 wrote:With all the Hype the Bruins have received over the past 2 years. I mean according to this site they have practically been declared the State Champs throughout both seasons.

Choke job, get real! Bruins record over the past 2 years is 45-5!
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby bruins44 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:42 pm

demon201 wrote: Maybe you call a time out in the 2nd half last night when the bleeding was starting instead of sitting there looking stone-faced and sullen and deal with it (i.e. you "coach" your team). You did well all year, twice, and your team deserves better - from you.

I think they did call time outs... look at the tape! Century took Fisher out of the game, without her the Bruins were playing 2 on 5. Burck and Roehrich did everything they could, Fisher was frustrated early and never got over it. South doesnt have a post game so getting easy baskets inside just doesnt happen unless Burck or Roehrich create and make great feeds. "Deserves better - from you" Give me a break! Coaches get way to much blame when they lose. Century was the better team last night, period.
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby mandanfanalso » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:47 pm

demon201 wrote:Happy to see Shanley win in the consolation title game, too ... Mandan's coaches and team came out acting like their collective dogs had died overnight, and they acted resentful about not being in the title or even 3rd place game. The coach's head was hanging, the kids looked like they were waiting for a butt-chewing, and meanwhile the Shanley bench was upbeat and proud to be playing and positive. It was amazing to see and hard to imagine the years of domination, tradition, and pride seemingly vanishing in just one bad season. They had a decent crowd for a 5th place game, so that was admirable. But Tradition should have held them higher from warmups through ... a win might have helped remedy the season and less of the Mandan momentum from the last 20 years could have been saved.

Maybe being a Mandan fan I am seeing things in a different light, but I do not see this as being true. Yes, the Mandan girls had a tough season with injury and such. However, I am not sure I ever saw them come out on the court without putting their full heart into the game! I do not think they expected anything! As a matter of fact, they seemed overly excited when they beat Belcourt to advance to the state tourney, as many people did not even think they would make it to state. As for the game against Shanley, they gave them a run for their money, and it was a pretty close game. Win or lose, I and many community members will continue to be a Mandan fans that have a lot of PRIDE in this team!
mandanfanalso
NDPreps Reserve

Postby soccer09 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:14 am

From the forum

All-tournament team:
Meghan Roehrich, Fargo South; Steph Pedersen, Mandan; Nicole Carew, Fargo Shanley; Alyssa Dehne, Fargo North; Carli Peterson, Bismarck Century; Madi Buck, Bismarck Century; Alley Fisher, Fargo South; Siri Burck, Fargo South; Sophie Kenney, Fargo Shanley; Alexis Jacobs, Bismarck Century.

Class A senior player of the year:

Siri Burck, Fargo South

Class A coach of the year:

Ron Metz, Bismarck Century
soccer09
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:26 am

bruins44 wrote:
demon201 wrote: Maybe you call a time out in the 2nd half last night when the bleeding was starting instead of sitting there looking stone-faced and sullen and deal with it (i.e. you "coach" your team). You did well all year, twice, and your team deserves better - from you.

I think they did call time outs... look at the tape! Century took Fisher out of the game, without her the Bruins were playing 2 on 5. Burck and Roehrich did everything they could, Fisher was frustrated early and never got over it. South doesnt have a post game so getting easy baskets inside just doesnt happen unless Burck or Roehrich create and make great feeds. "Deserves better - from you" Give me a break! Coaches get way to much blame when they lose. Century was the better team last night, period.

South has a great program with a great coach. You are right that coaches get too much blame when they lose and have to share all the credit on the wins. Most of the coaching happens before they take the floor.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Eminence » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:09 am

WOW Demon201, looks like you are bitter!

Fargo South has an excellent coach and the girls played with alot of heart especially Burick. Century hit some shots down the stretch, had nothing to do with the coaching. Coaches can give you all the X's and O's but when it comes down to the final stretch of the championship game it's all about who wants it more, who makes a play, and who makes the shot. Fargo South showed alot of class.

As far as Mandan goes, I thought they showed class on and off the court. When you lose a game, they should be upset, coaches included. Would really hate to see them all happy and jolly! Mandan plays a very young team. Most of the returners are sophmore and juniors. Look for them to be good next year. Plus they have a solid freshman (sophmore class) next year.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Rich_2999 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:54 am

sportsguruguy wrote:
Rich_2999 wrote:With all the Hype the Bruins have received over the past 2 years. I mean according to this site they have practically been declared the State Champs throughout both seasons.

Bruins record over the past 2 years 0-2.
That's what people will remember.
Rich_2999
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Baller » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:25 am

Rich_2999 wrote:
sportsguruguy wrote:

Bruins record over the past 2 years 0-2.
That's what people will remember.

Last year was probably a choke job but they were not even the favorites this year. Century was the favorites so wouldn't theirs have been a choke job if they hadn't won it? Red River was #1 in the state for much of the year so aren't they the ones that choked in EDC and State? Since South was not the favorite this year (granted they had chance) I dont know how you can call it a choke job. From the beginning of the year people knew it would be a battle between Century and South so it looks to me like it is two teams that lived up to their hype...
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bruins44 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:30 am

Rich_2999 wrote:Would this probably be considered the biggest choke job over a 2 year span?

Rich 2999 Why would you call it a Choke job? BHS played great last year and Century was not to be denied this year, how can that be a Choke?! South has been and is a great team, losing to these two teams is not choking. I think Century was 23 - 2 this year, give them some credit! and by the way South started 3 juniors and a sophomore, name me another team this young that has done what they have in the past 2 years? 45 - 5
bruins44
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Eminence » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:09 pm

Rich 2999 sounds resentful, his team must have lost and didn't make it to state.

FS wasn't a choke job because the WDA was stronger than that! Century was a good team even though the attitude was tough to watch at times during the tournament. BHS had a really good team last year. The team that choked two years in a row was Belcourt. They have too good of a team to not make it to state. Also, BHS choked this year.
You miss 100% of all shots you don't take!
Eminence
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Rich_2999 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:29 pm

Maybe I was mis-understood.

I think Century this year and Bismarck last year were deserving of the Title the better team did win on both occasions.

Although, from an outsiders view in reading a lot of the posts and topics in this forum you would think Fargo South is untouchable and is a repeated state champion.

Every loss they had on the season they had excuses for such players being sick to many other factors. Since I believe they had a healthy roster at the state tournament I really don’t see how they could lose based on all the posts generated in this forum.

So based on this I drew the conclusion and asked the question.

I myself never thought it was a choke job. I knew South would not win based on the depth of the bench. The question was meant for all those who declared this team the state champions before the ball even hit the floor.
Rich_2999
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Baller » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:32 pm

If we went by the posts on this forum then the Century boys should also be state champions but you cannot always go by what high school students say anonomously on a forum.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Rich_2999 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:38 pm

I don't believe a majority of the posts on this site are generated from high school students. I believe they are from parents trying to live through their children.
Rich_2999
NDPreps Reserve

Postby grlsbballfan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:51 pm

Rich_2999 wrote:Maybe I was mis-understood.

I think Century this year and Bismarck last year were deserving of the Title the better team did win on both occasions.

Although, from an outsiders view in reading a lot of the posts and topics in this forum you would think Fargo South is untouchable and is a repeated state champion.

Every loss they had on the season they had excuses for such players being sick to many other factors. Since I believe they had a healthy roster at the state tournament I really don’t see how they could lose based on all the posts generated in this forum.

So based on this I drew the conclusion and asked the question.

I myself never thought it was a choke job. I knew South would not win based on the depth of the bench. The question was meant for all those who declared this team the state champions before the ball even hit the floor.

Hey Rich, how did your team do this year? If i am not mistaken they lost to a #7 seed and a #5 seed in the WDA tournament.If you didnt think i was a choke job then why did you you type it!
grlsbballfan
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Girls