Why is taughting allowed in Volleyball?

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Why is taughting allowed in Volleyball?

Postby riders » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:43 pm

To Indy 5 and anyone else that believes taunting is ok-

There is a distinct difference between taunting (i.e. Phillip Rivers vs. Oakland), and simple celebration with your teammates (i.e. storm the court, hip-bump). If you are all for taunting, you show how very little sportsmanship/class many players/people have. Being a professional athlete puts you on a pedestal, like it or not you are looked up to by millions of kids and even adult fans. When you're being payed rediculous amounts of money to play a game, you should have the professionalism to be above taunting, that stuff is for the playground. When you have millions of people watching you on TV or even in a high school gymnasium, be classy, win or lose, be classy. I am all for TEAM celebration. Ya, go ahead get the rest of your team jacked, but do it in a way that doesn't cut down your opponent.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:51 pm

Ok I like taunting to an extent. I think Phillip Rivers is a jerk and I hate him But things like Lamar Thomas of Miami shooting pistols after a touchdown because he's in texas, people trying lambeau leaps (even though its not smart on their part) and other things that are all in fun, I do like.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:32 pm

Sorry for the mixup guys but I just watched The U on ESPN and realized that I was had been mistaken about the Cotton Bowl. It was not Lamar Thomas that scored the touchdown then fired pistols, it was Randall Hill. Hill was number 3 and the star receiver. Thomas was 36 and the other star receiver.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby riders » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:24 am

but its not like he was shooting pistols at the other team right? and lambeau leaps as the away team is just stupid unless youre brett favre. mabye im just alone in the whole "act like you've been there before" attitude. i really think the athletes with class are very overlooked and only the outgoing "celebrate and taunt" attitudes are recognized
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:39 am

Well I don't know, he was shooting them back at the field. Have you ever seen the Cotton Bowl's stadium? On one end there is a tunnel behind the goalposts so he ran into the tunnel a little ways and started shooting with a little side step dance going on.

I think that if a player does a touchdown celebration (what some might call a taunt) that doesn't make him a classless player. You can have some fun and mess around a littte while still being considered classy.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby riders » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:48 am

i do agree with the celebrations but not to completely degrade the other team. honestly, i think chad johnson is a classy player who likes to have fun with the NFL's management. no harm to the other team or his team, just his paycheck so have at it.

on a side note, does anyone else think it would be hilarious if chad "ocho cinco" got traded to a team where he had to wear a different number? and i highly doubt a judge would let him change it again simply because his number changed. chad ocho cinco wearing #88 haha
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:37 am

Haha that would be pretty funny but I guarantee that they would make the other receiver change his number.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:33 am

Indy5 wrote:Haha that would be pretty funny but I guarantee that they would make the other receiver change his number.

why would they make him change his number? he has the legal name, not number haha
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby riders » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:30 pm

players pay other players in order to have the number they want. happens all the time. if adrian peterson went to another team with someone #28, he'd just pay off that player to get his number
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:24 pm

i know it happens, but the way he worded it he made it sound like the coaches and/or front office would make the said receiver change it.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:11 pm

Yeah I guess it kinda did sound like that and actually if I was the coach I would make the receiver change it just because that Ocho's name!
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:22 am

so what if said receiver changed his name to Joe Eightyfive?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:03 am

Then I would kick him off the team for stealing Ocho's idea haha
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby riders » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 pm

ok so taunting...haha
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:05 pm

...is not ok, but celebrations are.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby riders » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:35 pm

agreed
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby blindside2 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:17 am

Hinsa wrote:If the girls want to do choreographed cheers, more power to 'em. I think they should loosen up the rules on celebrations in other sports. As long as it is not directed at the other team, gee whiz, let 'em have some fun.

I used to feel the other way on this but after seeing the NFL, college football, and others clamp down so hard on celebrations I think we have gone way overboard on making sure no one is offended.

I totally agree :D
blindside2
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Clifford » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:27 pm

Taunting should be allowed because it hones and sharpens a girls senses and abilities throughout a strenuous season therefore making it optimum at state volleyball time! Girls can handle a little taunting Go Girls!
Clifford
NDPreps Starter

Postby EastistheBest » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:28 pm

The Taunting is fun for the fans and very useful for the players. It allows the fans to get into the game and it provides practice for girls to build up a mental wall which will allow them to stay focused in difficult times of tough games
EastistheBest
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NDplayin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:19 pm

You've got to be kidding me. Ridiculous.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EastistheBest » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:34 am

NDplayin wrote:You've got to be kidding me. Ridiculous.

If there was no taunting there would be no fans. They go hand in hand when it comes to volleyball.
EastistheBest
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scruffy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:52 pm

blindside2 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:If the girls want to do choreographed cheers, more power to 'em. I think they should loosen up the rules on celebrations in other sports. As long as it is not directed at the other team, gee whiz, let 'em have some fun.

I used to feel the other way on this but after seeing the NFL, college football, and others clamp down so hard on celebrations I think we have gone way overboard on making sure no one is offended.

I totally agree :D

But................why do a wild cheer to celebrate a simple play that is expected of you..
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:12 pm

EastistheBest wrote:
NDplayin wrote:You've got to be kidding me. Ridiculous.

If there was no taunting there would be no fans. They go hand in hand when it comes to volleyball.

Again...you've got to be kidding.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Clifford » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:20 am

Unless someone is saying mean things to a player i think taunting should be fine like if someone was calling a girl fat thats not good but if somone was yelling at them to distract them it should be okay
Clifford
NDPreps Starter

Postby riders » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 am

Clifford wrote:Unless someone is saying mean things to a player i think taunting should be fine like if someone was calling a girl fat thats not good but if somone was yelling at them to distract them it should be okay

and what type of thigs are said to distract players? hmmm i wonder... and as far as taunting and celebrations go in professional sports, it is your job. the copy boy at your work doesnt have a "copy dance" when he makes a copy. its your job, act like it. its ok to have fun and be intense but act like youve been ther before. and to respond to the "sharpens their senses" comment, get a clue. celebrations do not do anything to aid the senses in any way shape or form.
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics