Why is taughting allowed in Volleyball?

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Why is taughting allowed in Volleyball?

Postby old lineman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:23 am

When there is and ace a cheer starts, when a touchdown is made you had the ball to the ref. When a charging foul is made in hoops the players don't wave there hands back and forth and make a jesture to represent a flop. Why is this allowed in volleyball and all other sports a show of emotions is justification for a technical foul. I must have missed the boat.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Why is taughting allowed in Volleyball?

Postby ndfbfanatic » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:12 am

Interesting point. I've thought this many times myself. After every ace, there is some sort of chant/cheer. after a kill, same thing. Now I've seen football players make a big hit, turn to his teammates and give a big hoot/hollar and get flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct, after cheering with his team!!!! If a BB team (girls or boys) did something like they are alllowed in volleyball after a big layup with a foul, they would get T'd in a hearbeat. This is a very interesting topic and one that deserves further examination.
ndfbfanatic
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:25 am

I think it happens in all sports, just on a less choreographed level. Football, people get touchdowns and they get patted on the helmet. Basketball, someone gets an and1 and they get a lot of high fives. It just isn't choreographed like volleyball.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:09 pm

Interesting topic - I have watched VB teams get up and do a little dance on the sidelines after a kill or ace, I have watched VB teams slide out onto the playing floor after a kill or ace - seems like taunting to me.
I'm surprised the NDHSAA hasn't jumped on this, they seem to like making more rules for every sport.
If you ever read a rule book for HS BB or VB, half of the book deals with things other than playing the game: fingernails, hair decorations, uniform regulations, etc... Granted some may be necessary, but I think the NDHSAA and the NFHS (I think thats the right abbreviation) go way overboard on a number of things.
Oh well, at least it keeps them employed at the NDHSAA!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby old lineman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:55 pm

I thought I was the only one that thought way.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby diehardfan09 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:22 am

as a former volleyball player.. i can say that volleyball is a completely mental game and the cheering isn't pointed at the opposing team. its to keep your own team momentum up ;)
diehardfan09
NDPreps Reserve

Postby vballfan06 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:10 pm

it's a non-contact sport. how do you retaliate in volleyball? in football...the fear is less about the emotion and more about how the other team retaliates. keeps the game under control.
same with basketball.
there's a net separating the teams in volleyball. you're not gonna see an elbow to the face because the other team just did a cheer.
vballfan06
NDPreps Starter

Postby Achilles » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:35 am

The unsportsmanlike penalties are ridiculous sometimes. Do we really expect a kid to act like a model citizen when he just hit a guy so hard he wont remember how to count? Football itself is violent and any "modal citizen" wouldnt try to kill a guy in the first place like what happens on almost every down in a football game. Alot of kids play the game solely for the fact they might get to knock somebody out... now im not saying you should be able to flip guys off and stupid crap like that, but a little celebration or a little jawing here and there isn't gonna hurt anybody.
Achilles
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:42 am

diehardfan09 wrote:as a former volleyball player.. i can say that volleyball is a completely mental game and the cheering isn't pointed at the opposing team. its to keep your own team momentum up ;)

so volleyball is the only sport where you should be allowed to cheer and pump up your teammates to try to keep the momentum rolling?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:08 am

baseball wrote:
diehardfan09 wrote:as a former volleyball player.. i can say that volleyball is a completely mental game and the cheering isn't pointed at the opposing team. its to keep your own team momentum up ;)

so volleyball is the only sport where you should be allowed to cheer and pump up your teammates to try to keep the momentum rolling?

You can cheer and pump up your teammates in other sports but not by degrading the opposing team!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby baseball » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:00 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
baseball wrote:

You can cheer and pump up your teammates in other sports but not by degrading the opposing team!

Whats the difference between "ACE *clap*" and "AND ONE *high five*"???
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:04 pm

baseball wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
baseball wrote:

Whats the difference between "ACE *clap*" and "AND ONE *high five*"???

All I'm saying is that I have seen in games that you are allowed to give high fives, cheer/get excited with teammates on the floor/field...the line gets drawn when a player goes over and says something to the opposing player
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby baseball » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:39 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:...the line gets drawn when a player goes over and says something to the opposing player

because thats what happens in volleyball right? whats your side of the arguement....you made it sound like the Ace-clap cheer is taunting but i have never seen a girl walk up to the net and start smackin at the other team...if anything theres more taunting in other sports then volleyball...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:50 pm

My problem is this: I have watched quite a bit of volleyball. Some of these routines are done quite well, meaning they have spent a lot of time practicing them. Now, these same players turn around and struggle serving consistently over the net. If they would spend more time practicing their serves and a little less time on these routines, it might translate to more success for them and their teams.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby toddjames » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:48 pm

When you see teams doing there thing it's more like cheering than anything else. I mean they turn towards each other and do a little foot stomp and a clap or whatever it is they do. They don't go up to the net and start pointing at the other team or do any type of gestured towards the opposition, which is taunting, or taughting, lol...
toddjames
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDplayin » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:39 pm

I don’t think we should continue to make excuses for this unsportsman-like behavior.

There is a BIG difference between high fives among teammates and the choreographed routines that happen on volleyball courts. No one has complained about volleyball girls spontaneously high fiving and to compare the two is out of whack.

Merely saying these celebrations are meant to “pump up” your teammates and not taunt the other team does not make them acceptable. A running-back who scores a touchdown cannot spike the ball in the end zone, no matter how far away any opposing players are. Nor can two wide receivers do a choreographed end-zone dance like was common in the 1990s in the NFL. Even if they do so without any gestures toward the other team, it is unsportsman-like behavior

The NDHSAA has implemented dozen of rules about uniforms and uniform accessories because they were being used to show off and were detracting from the game. These choreographed volleyball cheers are nothing more than showing off.

The excuse of “boys will be boys” was never tolerated with choreographed celebrations in football or basketball. The excuses of “girl will be girls” shouldn’t hold water just because it is a cute little hand clapping foot-stomping rhythmic chant.

Volleyball is not the only “game of momentum.” Perhaps they should try to maintain their momentum with their focus and their intensity like required in every other sport, rather than relying on being cheerleaders in volleyball uniforms.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:01 am

Well said NDPlayin! The NDHSAA likes to add rules so that they can justify their jobs in Valley City - I can't believe they havn't done something about this. It is taunting when your bench jumps up and does a choreographed dance after an ace or a kill or slides on their bellies out onto the floor. If thats what you need to "stay focused" and "pumped up" thats a poor excuse for taunting. Almost every athletic contest involves emotion, its what sports are all about and taunting should not be allowed at the HS level or below.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby T reporter » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:53 pm

What if a team does their little dance after the other team puts a serve into the net?
T reporter
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:24 pm

If the girls want to do choreographed cheers, more power to 'em. I think they should loosen up the rules on celebrations in other sports. As long as it is not directed at the other team, gee whiz, let 'em have some fun.

I used to feel the other way on this but after seeing the NFL, college football, and others clamp down so hard on celebrations I think we have gone way overboard on making sure no one is offended.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDplayin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:51 pm

It's not only about offending someone. It's about being a braggart. Nobody likes a braggart and nobody likes the person who is always calling attention to herself. Let's not forget that the whole point of providing these sports for our youth is to help them grow into good people and good citizens. If the girls want to do a choreographed cheer, they can do it in the locker room after the game has concluded and they were victorious.

What would my boss say if in the middle of a business venture, in the middle of the work day, when I was only halfway to my sales goal, I took an hour off to head to a bar and celebrate signing one new client?
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:16 am

NDplayin wrote:What would my boss say if in the middle of a business venture, in the middle of the work day, when I was only halfway to my sales goal, I took an hour off to head to a bar and celebrate signing one new client?

almost the same thing...

theres one example i'm suprised hasnt been brought up yet. if this is such a bad thing, why arent people complaining about baseball teams throwing the ball around the horn after an out? wouldnt that be taunting the other team by reminding them they struck out or whatever? another thing my team did in high school was after a guy hit a homerun, after he touched home he would take his helmet off and hold it above his head while everyone else hit the helmet on the way to dugout (yea we ripped off a college team but o well haha)....my point is it had nothing to do with the other team. some complaints on the topic of sportsmanship are ridiculous. the team did a choreographed cheer that took a second and a half.......big deal, had nothing to do with belittling the other team. some of you are making it out to sound like they spend more time coming up with the cheers then they do on actually practice

What about hockey teams huddling up in what can be summed up as a group hug after a goal? Come on people.....theres nothing wrong with it.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDplayin » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:56 pm

I see where you are going with the examples from other sports, but I see a couple fundamental differences. #1) does it serve a sport-specific function? #2) Is it choreographed or a spontaneous show of emotion?.

You can say that a baseball team throwing the ball around the horn is choreographed; however, I see it serving a sport specific function in keeping the infielder's arms loose. Innings can get long sometime... after your third baseman makes that diving stop, how good do you feel about him making that hot-corner throw from one knee if he hasn't even touched a baseball in the last fifteen minutes.

Hockey teams huddling up after a goal? I guess I don't watch much hockey, but is this huddle choreographed in anyway? When in the huddle, are they able to discuss actual hockey stuff like defensive and offensive strategy? I guess I don't see this being much different than 5 players on the bball floor huddling breifly before a free-throw to discuss who is going to play where in an upcoming zone press (Sport specific function).

No one is complaining about volleyball players showing a little spontaneous emotion, say high-fives, a fist pump, or a brief hug with a teammate after a big spike or ace. However, these constant, between point volleyball cheers are choreographed and are about nothing other than drawing attention. They serve no volleyball purpose what-so-ever.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:42 pm

NDplayin wrote:I see where you are going with the examples from other sports, but I see a couple fundamental differences. #1) does it serve a sport-specific function? #2) Is it choreographed or a spontaneous show of emotion?.

You can say that a baseball team throwing the ball around the horn is choreographed; however, I see it serving a sport specific function in keeping the infielder's arms loose. Innings can get long sometime... after your third baseman makes that diving stop, how good do you feel about him making that hot-corner throw from one knee if he hasn't even touched a baseball in the last fifteen minutes.

Hockey teams huddling up after a goal? I guess I don't watch much hockey, but is this huddle choreographed in anyway? When in the huddle, are they able to discuss actual hockey stuff like defensive and offensive strategy? I guess I don't see this being much different than 5 players on the bball floor huddling breifly before a free-throw to discuss who is going to play where in an upcoming zone press (Sport specific function).

Hockey huddle....its not done just randomly. I've never played hockey but i'd bet almost anything they arent discussing the following face off while celebrating a goal. could they, yes. are they, VERY doubtful. When baskebtall teams do it after a foul or a baseball team does it between batters, its obviously strategy. After a goal in hockey, its obviously celebration.

Baseball game....if its a long inning, i doubt that means they are throwing the ball around. since long innings consist of runners on base and a baseball team to throw the ball around the horn with rrunners on base is just ridiculous
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDplayin » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:48 pm

baseball wrote:Baseball game....if its a long inning, i doubt that means they are throwing the ball around. since long innings consist of runners on base and a baseball team to throw the ball around the horn with rrunners on base is just ridiculous

Oh, so I guess you couldn't have already had a long inning... a home run to clear the bases, and then an out to allow the ball to be thrown around the horn.

C'mon man. Either way, throwing the ball around the horn still serves a baseball specific purpose... they aren't clapping and stomping there feet. When girls start setting the ball around the horn after every ace then come talk to me.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:14 pm

Do you really think that one 30 foot throw keeps a player loose? maybe they should throw it to the outfielders as well, afterall, they have been standing out there just as long but weren't able to throw a ball even once!! im suprised more outfielders dont throw out their arms by this lack of staying loose.

im confused at your last sentence. "When girls start setting the ball around the horn after every ace then come talk to me." does that mean you would be ok with that since it serves a volleyball specific purpose while a foot stomp and a clap is taunting?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Hot Topics