Internet Party Photos and the NDHSAA Ineligibility Rules

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Internet Party Photos and the NDHSAA Ineligibility Rules

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:55 am

balla45 wrote:I don't know if I can agree with you here. A LOT of players drink in the summer and get caught, it just doesn't get talked about. I can't think of a specific number, but there are a lot of people that I know have been caught drinking in some form or another that participated in athletics last year.

Not many are caught, but I can near guarantee you that at least 50% of athletes in High School have drank to an extent. Given that, any one of these kids could have had a photo taken of them and posted on the internet completely anonymously by anyone near, even outside of the window looking in on him/her doing it alone. I still think it's wrong, even given the high amount of people that do it.
For whomever said they need to learn life lessons, that's the point of the restriction, as well as the suspension. However, I do not feel that the 'Guilty by Association' rule is fair, in any way. If it is clear that the athlete is drinking, heck, throw him/her on a 6 month suspension. However, I don't feel it's right that they can be given the same punishments as a person at the same party that got a minor. If the student is completely sober and cannot be proven to have drank anything, I feel they're fine. If they were drinking, and it's clear, go ahead and full on punish. This will hopefully cause athletes to be cautious about what they consume, rather than do the "Well I'm here anyways, if I get caught I might as well get caught drinking."
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Re: Internet Party Photos and the NDHSAA Ineligibility Rules

Postby LarryEagle » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:33 am

However there are tons of other situations where a picture may be taken with alcohol in the background. In public? Or im sure many atheletes parents keep alcohol in the home, what if the parents are having a drink and they show up in the background of a photo of the athlete? should that still result in a suspension? its a fine line they draw between distinguishing being at a party, or merely being near alcohol.
LarryEagle
NDPreps Rookie

Previous

Return to Hot Topics