Can anyone stop wahpeton this year?

The teams in Class AA.

Can anyone stop wahpeton this year?

Postby LPB'S37 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:01 am

Wahpeton is 4 and 0 defense has only given up 2td's who has the best chance to stop them?
LPB'S37
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Can anyone stop wahpeton this year?

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:25 am

Any team has a shot if they can slow down Smith!! Without Smith...they wouldn't even be able to compete with the AA schools
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Dawg245 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:23 pm

any team can beat anyone at any time. I would say lisbon has a good shot to beat them other than that i think they've survived the tougher part of their schedule. If they were to play Devils Lake that would be a good game.
Dawg245
NDPreps Starter

Postby PeopleRTalkin » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:56 pm

Y-E-S!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! very possible
PeopleRTalkin
NDPreps Reserve

Postby SportsBuff » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:05 pm

teams have played close with wahpeton so i would say yes. there are plenty of good teams in AA football that could knock them off
SportsBuff
NDPreps Reserve

Postby beaplayer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:49 pm

They gave up 2 TD to Central Cass and 1 to Shanley. I think that they can be beaten, but it will be a very low scoring game and it will be between Wahp and a top team. Smith is an excellent RB, and I'm assuming that means they have a pretty good OL as well (hard to have one with out the other :) . If Smith gets hurt I wonder if they have any options. I haven't seen much passing yardage or even attempts out of them and I'm not sure how the other RBs they have compare to him since they rarely touch the ball.
beaplayer
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GoPack#2 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:06 am

i think if wahpeton meets up with Central Cass or Shanley in the playoffs they will get beaten
"Give them nothing but take from them everything"
GoPack#2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby #28 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:43 am

Shanley? Are you serious. No chance.
NDPreps Starter

Postby und52 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:39 pm

Shanley had chances at the end of the game to score but just couldn't get it in. They defiantly played Whapeton evenly and had a chance so they could be them
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
Vince Lombardi
und52
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NorthDakota11 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:19 am

Has there been a team in the last ten years more one-dimensional on offense then Waph is this year? The only one I can think of is Minot Ryan in 2000 with Jared Essler when he would get like 40 carries a game... they got beat in the regular season by Trinity (but did go on to win a State Title that year).

Like Minot Ryan in 2000 Waph seems to only have one weapon... and thats dangerous... you come up against a well coached team that can put nine/ten guys in the box because they have good d-backs to defend the on or two shots they take downfield... I think its very possible to beat Waph... But like Essler in 2000 you have to tackle well because if you don't Smith will make you pay... I think Waph will get beat at some point... they aren't as dominate as everyone expected... they've had two scares already... and they would be in real trouble if they lost Smith even for a half...
"Why did you go for two?"

"Because I couldn't go for three..." - Woody Hayes
NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby 3Putt » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:09 pm

NorthDakota11 wrote:Has there been a team in the last ten years more one-dimensional on offense then Waph is this year? The only one I can think of is Minot Ryan in 2000 with Jared Essler when he would get like 40 carries a game... they got beat in the regular season by Trinity (but did go on to win a State Title that year).

Like Minot Ryan in 2000 Waph seems to only have one weapon... and thats dangerous... you come up against a well coached team that can put nine/ten guys in the box because they have good d-backs to defend the on or two shots they take downfield... I think its very possible to beat Waph... But like Essler in 2000 you have to tackle well because if you don't Smith will make you pay... I think Waph will get beat at some point... they aren't as dominate as everyone expected... they've had two scares already... and they would be in real trouble if they lost Smith even for a half...

Good post. I would probably rank Wahpeton #1, but they can be beaten.
3Putt
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball18 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:32 pm

NorthDakota11 wrote:Has there been a team in the last ten years more one-dimensional on offense then Waph is this year? The only one I can think of is Minot Ryan in 2000 with Jared Essler when he would get like 40 carries a game... they got beat in the regular season by Trinity (but did go on to win a State Title that year).

yes, the Wahpeton of '08, '07, '06, etc.... but it's not that they're one dimensional, it's just that nobody can stop their rushing game... they're the navy of ND HS football
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby und52 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:20 pm

Whap is very one dimensional but they are very good at what they do. They were able to beat AAA teams by being one dimensional and they have to believe that they can beat any one in AA doing the same. They way to stop Whap is not by defense but by putting up more points on offense than they can.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
Vince Lombardi
und52
NDPreps Reserve

Postby DoUbLeAaLlThEwAy » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:43 pm

They do have a one dimensional offense, but they have a great offensive line that has been opening up holes against 8 men in the box. The most overlooked part about the team is their starting defense, they have only allowed 3 touchdowns in 6 games.
DoUbLeAaLlThEwAy
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NorthDakota11 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:44 am

You can be one-dimensional and win in the regular season... to win in the Playoffs you have to at least be able to have the preception that you can throw the ball (does Waph have this?)... Rarely if ever (Minot Ryan 2000) does a team win a title or in the playoffs by being so one-dimensional...If I were a coach I'd put 8 guys in the box with a ninth guy (saftey?) playing the middle of the field and spying Smith the whole game... go wherever he goes...

Central Cass and Shanley have pretty good blueprints for how to beat Waph, they just couldn't put up the points needed (they may a second time around)... Every coach out west is trying to get their hands on those two tapes right now to see what they did and tweak their game plan...

It only takes one sub-par game by Smith for Waph to lose... For those of us that aren't Waph fans, lets hope thats against our team in the playoffs...

NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby eggman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:02 pm

I'm pretty sure Ryan didn't win state in 2000 but I think they did in 99 and that is around the time that Essler was there so I think thats the team you are thinking of.
eggman

Postby NorthDakota11 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:06 am

Eggman, you're absolutely right... Trinity won it in 2000 and 2001... I graduated in the Spring of 2002 so I at times get the years confused having been a sophmore when Ryan won it... thanks for the correction...

NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:50 pm

hey maybe Oak Grove can pull off the upset tonight!! :|
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby gobison#6 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:03 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:hey maybe Oak Grove can pull off the upset tonight!! :|

not to put OG down but i dont see it happening
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:10 pm

gobison#6 wrote:

it didn't...they lost 37-20
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby tweener » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:34 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
gobison#6 wrote:

I'm just surprised OG scored 20 points on them, weren't the Huskies fairly stingy thus far?? Does the defense have some problems, or was their JV in?
tweener
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:10 am

tweener wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
gobison#6 wrote:

I'm just surprised OG scored 20 points on them, weren't the Huskies fairly stingy thus far?? Does the defense have some problems, or was their JV in?

WAHPETON, N.D. – Wahpeton’s Ryan Smith ran for 309 and six touchdowns to power the Huskies to a 37-20 win over Fargo Oak Grove in North Dakota Class 2A, East Region football Friday night.

Smith had 131 yards and two scores in the first quarter alone as Wahpeton jumped out to a 12-0 lead.
Drew Zaeske paced the Grovers with 89 rushing yards on 18 carries.

Oak Grove 0 7 7 6–20
Wahpeton 12 12 7 6–37

W–Smith 46 run (kick failed)
W–Smith 48 run (pass failed)
OG–Arneson 2 run (Harmelink kick)
W–Smith 25 run (kick failed)
W–Smith 2 run (pass failed)
W–Smith 59 run (Weisz kick)
OG–Zaeske 6 pass from Fletcher (Harmelink kick)
W–Smith 37 run (kick failed)
OG–Dangerfield 32 run (kick failed)

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS
RUSHING: OG, Arneson 15-99, Dangerfield 4-51, Zaeske 18-89, Fletcher 6-(-28), Chase 9-44. W, Smith 24-309, Zarak 5-10, McCall 1-33, Hickel 3-14, Hagen 3-14, Houle 6-39.
PASSING: OG, Fletcher 3-13-0 33. W, McCall 4-6-0 41.
RECEIVING: OG, Harmelink 2-27, Zaeske 1-6. W, Kline 1-15, Edwardson 1-12, Hickel 1-8, Smith 1-6.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby InYourFace » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:50 am

Wahpeton I think will go undefeated but you never know there maybe that one team that may just pull of the upset but I don't see that as long as Smith has a good game, but if Smith struggles or gets hurt in a game, then it is possible that Wahpeton may loss
InYourFace
NDPreps Reserve

Postby i am legend » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:48 am

about how many yards and tds does smith have this year?
i am legend
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby DoUbLeAaLlThEwAy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:11 am

i am legend wrote:about how many yards and tds does smith have this year?

I think he has about 1600 yards and 25 tds.
DoUbLeAaLlThEwAy
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to AA