Metrodome Goodbye

Talk about the world of sports here. And also a sub-forum to talk about anything else.

Metrodome Goodbye

Postby Mailman_25 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:02 pm

Anyone else tearing up watching the goodbye to the Metrodome after the Twin's WIN today? I grew up with the Dome, so it will always have a special place in my heart. Wish Kirby could've been there. Man, I cry like a baby everytime they show the '87 and '91 highlights.
Mailman_25
NDPreps Starter

Re: Metrodome Goodbye

Postby Milkman » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:39 pm

I was really bummed that I wasn't going to get see one last game in the Dome this year. THANK YOU TWINS for giving me at least one more chance to watch you live in the Dome. Right after the game we were searching everywhere online and calling the 1800 number tryin to get any ticket we could. Im soo excited, gonna watch the Vikings and Packers on Monday from my place and then drive to the cities and watch the Twins last regular season game in the dome ever.

Lets go Twins, Im not ready just yet to say goodbye to the Dome.
Let’s go cut down some nets boys.

-Saul Phillips
Milkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby theman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:59 pm

Mailman_25 wrote:Anyone else tearing up watching the goodbye to the Metrodome after the Twin's WIN today? I grew up with the Dome, so it will always have a special place in my heart. Wish Kirby could've been there. Man, I cry like a baby everytime they show the '87 and '91 highlights.

There is still......just the slimmest chance..........of a world series game at the dome one last time. Of course, first the yanks come to town.
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby BB11 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:20 pm

2nd best game I ever saw in my life next to game 7 of the 91 World Series with Black Jack pitching the full 10 innings. This one had a little more drama though. LET"S GO TWINS!!!
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:19 pm

more drama then a game 7 in a world series that goes extra innings? drama yes, but i dont think u can top that type of drama...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:16 am

baseball wrote:more drama then a game 7 in a world series that goes extra innings? drama yes, but i dont think u can top that type of drama...

Yeah - I thought about that after I sent the post. Probably not as much drama - I guess what I meant was - there was a little more action offensively and more chances to score than in that Game 7. Either way - Very exciting - hoping they can keep pulling out the miracles for a few more weeks.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:03 am

m not a Twins fan, but I will cheer for anyone who is playing the Yankees. :lol: (Except for the Red Sox, then I hope for a 0 - 0 tie!) GO TWINS!!!!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:24 pm

BB11 wrote:
baseball wrote:more drama then a game 7 in a world series that goes extra innings? drama yes, but i dont think u can top that type of drama...

Yeah - I thought about that after I sent the post. Probably not as much drama - I guess what I meant was - there was a little more action offensively and more chances to score than in that Game 7. Either way - Very exciting - hoping they can keep pulling out the miracles for a few more weeks.

I would agree that this "game" had more drama then the "game" in 91...but its just something about the title Game 7 of the World Series that adds a certain aspect tot he drama category haha
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby footbrawl » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:39 pm

the metrodome not cool
footbrawl
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gobison#6 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:15 pm

footbrawl wrote:the metrodome not cool

Ok yes the metrodome had its disadvantages and wasn't the best place to play baseball, but the Twins made it their home and played well there. The memories will last and the fans who went to games will remember the atmosphere in the dome. Very intense
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby Milkman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:55 pm

gobison#6 wrote:

Ok yes the metrodome had its disadvantages and wasn't the best place to play baseball, but the Twins made it their home and played well there. The memories will last and the fans who went to games will remember the atmosphere in the dome. Very intense

I love the people who say that watching a game at the dome was a horrible experience. Being involved in a car accident is a horrible experience. Watching a baseball game ANYWHERE is a fun afternoon. But I guess ppl will always exaggerate.

Tuesday night was the BEST Twins baseball experience I personally have ever had. I was too young to apperciate 87 and 91 and won't comment on those, but I swear I felt the entire dome shaking that night. Ive never had sooo much fun bein stuck in traffic. Fans honking and waving and chanting. Strangers high fiving and celebrating. A sea of people outside the dome still celebrating. If ya didn't know any better you would have thought the Twins had just won the world series

-Saul Phillips
Milkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:53 pm

i think your reaching a little bit with your horrible experience statement. yea..a car accident is a horrible experince. But i think if I was stuck at a figre skating competition for a whole day I would call that a horrible day. its all relative to what the experience is.....

Have you ever been to a Twins game at the dome in May? There was what 55,000 people there for game 163? if you go in May your lucky if there 15,000.
I could see how they would call it a terrible experience. I've been to basketball games at both the Univ. of Colorado and the Univ. of Kansas....when comparing the 2, the game at CU was a terrible experience...once again, all relative to the experience and what your witnessing/going through...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Milkman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:35 am

I decided to edit my statement. I originally went on a rent and after reading it, it is pointless.

I have seen MANY games at the dome in all varieties of settings(attendance, score, internal temp and external temp) I was a little offended when asked and somewhat implied that I had not. I just want to say that I have never had a horrible experience. I enjoyed every one.

Just my opinion but I think people have to stop exaggerating. The dome aint perfect but in no way does it deserve the label horrible.

-Saul Phillips
Milkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:33 pm

I guarantee on a day like today, fans will be complaining about sitting outside in 20 degree weather with snow flakes when they "could in a dome". I will never understand why they didnt put a retractable roof on the field.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:03 pm

Didn't put a retractable roof on for 2 reasons:
1. Budget concerns - state taxpayers money, ya know
2. Not enough room on the footprint for the stadium for a retractable roof

I agree, it stinks to not have a roof. People have forgotten just how cold baseball is in April and even May in the upper midwest. And if the Twins ever get that far, a world series game on Halloween in Minneapolis - we have blizzards before Halloween, for crying out loud!
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby gobison#6 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:11 pm

Milkman wrote:
gobison#6 wrote:

I love the people who say that watching a game at the dome was a horrible experience. Being involved in a car accident is a horrible experience. Watching a baseball game ANYWHERE is a fun afternoon. But I guess ppl will always exaggerate.

Tuesday night was the BEST Twins baseball experience I personally have ever had. I was too young to apperciate 87 and 91 and won't comment on those, but I swear I felt the entire dome shaking that night. Ive never had sooo much fun bein stuck in traffic. Fans honking and waving and chanting. Strangers high fiving and celebrating. A sea of people outside the dome still celebrating. If ya didn't know any better you would have thought the Twins had just won the world series

I thought going to games at the metrodome was fun it was so cool in there and so loud. its a different atmosphere in there that just made it a real great time
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby Milkman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:37 pm

baseball wrote:I guarantee on a day like today, fans will be complaining about sitting outside in 20 degree weather with snow flakes when they "could in a dome". I will never understand why they didnt put a retractable roof on the field.

There was a sign at the dome on Tuesday that read "Dome Forecast, LOUD with a 0% chance of precipitation"

Ironically, the roof had a leak and one row down about 5 seats from me a person was getting dripped on.

-Saul Phillips
Milkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:33 pm

Hinsa wrote:Didn't put a retractable roof on for 2 reasons:
1. Budget concerns - state taxpayers money, ya know
2. Not enough room on the footprint for the stadium for a retractable roof

I agree, it stinks to not have a roof. People have forgotten just how cold baseball is in April and even May in the upper midwest. And if the Twins ever get that far, a world series game on Halloween in Minneapolis - we have blizzards before Halloween, for crying out loud!

Thats why i dont think they should have even built a new stadium. its alot of money just to avoid an 11 AM maybe twice a year. esspecially given that the UM built a football stadium on campus so they wouldnt even use the dome. if you cant afford to put atleast a retractable roof on a baseball stadium in Minneapolis, you just shouldnt build a stadium. even in the south i believe teams building a stadium will always consider a retractable roof. takes out the possibility of a rain delay causing day-night double headers that could absolutely destroy a pitching staff for a week. you could say its the way baseball is meant to be played....but no one wants to sit outside on a windy, cloudy 40 degree day for 4 hours watching a baseball game...
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:53 pm

The official and final goodbye will occur early in 2012 when the vikings lease is up and they move to LA or San Antonio. At that point what happens to the dome???? Demolition????
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:49 pm

scruffy wrote:The official and final goodbye will occur early in 2012 when the vikings lease is up and they move to LA or San Antonio. At that point what happens to the dome???? Demolition????

The Vikings are planning on building a new stadium. Maybe if they don't get that done, they'll move, but I think its more likely that they get that new stadium.

Once the Vikings lease is up I would assume it will get taken down. They'll just deflate the roof and implode it just like the RCA Dome. That will truly be a sad day.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby scruffy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:52 am

They'd LIKE a stadium, but don't forget that state is BILLIONS in the red. It will come down to cutting school districts, firefighters, police and social programs if they fund a stadium. That WON'T happen. Problem two is the fact that during the last year of the Vikings lease in the Twin Cities we'll be talking of lockouts, work stoppages and scab players. The timing couldn't be worse for that franchise..
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby old#63 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Can anybody give me the low down on why something couldn't have been worked out to build a new football facility that would have worked for both the Gophers and the Vikings. I just don't see why that wasn't looked at harder as an option.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:11 pm

old#63 wrote:Can anybody give me the low down on why something couldn't have been worked out to build a new football facility that would have worked for both the Gophers and the Vikings. I just don't see why that wasn't looked at harder as an option.

Gophers wanted an on campus facility of their own and had to think smaller than the Vikings wanted. The Vikings want their own fancy-shmancy stadium and didn't want to play on the U of M campus. So they just didn't want to share a stadium any more.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:30 pm

Hinsa wrote:
old#63 wrote:Can anybody give me the low down on why something couldn't have been worked out to build a new football facility that would have worked for both the Gophers and the Vikings. I just don't see why that wasn't looked at harder as an option.

Gophers wanted an on campus facility of their own and had to think smaller than the Vikings wanted. The Vikings want their own fancy-shmancy stadium and didn't want to play on the U of M campus. So they just didn't want to share a stadium any more.

I just think that when both of these entities are dependent on taxpayer support to fund their operations, that would have been a resonable compromise. If they had pooled resources just imagine the grandness of what they could have built. What good are these facilities besides playing football in? Don't any other pro teams share stadiums with colleges?
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby scruffy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:39 pm

MONEY and GREED on the Vikings part... and the end result will be a new home in LA...
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Open Topics - Sports and other things