Best HS Gym/Atmosphere

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Best HS Gym/Atmosphere

Postby Bulls=Dynasty » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:07 pm

Me too. Its amazing. Rolling the dice and everything
Bulls=Dynasty
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:31 pm

here are some good ones from the yesteryears

Hannah-1,000 miles from nowwhere
Hamden-1905 design
Alsen-should have been condemed 20 years before it shut down
Oznabrock-Barley Bin
Balta-card board box
Milton- the meteors, tile floor was crap
Border Central-Calvin-Sarels -a true Hole in the ground
Munich-cold showers, on purpose
Valley-Crystal, Hoople-played in Crystal
Edinburg-watch the clock keeper close
Fairdale-hope your shot doesnt have much arc
Adams-Impossible to win here, 5 against 7 (refs) crowd was nuts
Lankin-real rowdy crowd
Pisek-animal Basketball at its best
Fordville-another extremely competitive program, could beat you with their B squad, get there ready to play
Mcville-only played here once, lost in over time tough crowd, great sports town for a small town.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND_beast » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:47 pm

Central Cass's Gym (in Casselton) during a rivalry (so Northern Cass [Jan. 12 aprox. 7:45], Kindred [Feb. 11 aprox. 6:15], or Oak Grove [Dec. 18 aprox. 6:15]). You would need to get there during the JV games in order to get a good seat. It is a big gym (for class B standards) and during a rivalry game the gym is packed, the pep band is playing, and they are great games. The gym floor was just redone this summer and looks amazing.
ND_beast
NDPreps Starter

Postby Dareybuck » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Ya for the games you just mentioned it seems to be at capacity at half time of the jv games. Thats a basketball atmosphere then. Oak Gove updated their gym about a year back w/ new hardwood and Northern Cass built a new gym a few years back, pretty spiffy
a great player can win a game but a TEAM can win EVERY game.
Dareybuck
NDPreps Starter

Postby gobison#6 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:46 pm

Dareybuck wrote:Ya for the games you just mentioned it seems to be at capacity at half time of the jv games. Thats a basketball atmosphere then. Oak Gove updated their gym about a year back w/ new hardwood and Northern Cass built a new gym a few years back, pretty spiffy

I just dont think that Northern Cass has enough seats in its new gym though, it still gets packed and there is not enough room against say Central Cass.
Hail the Bison!
gobison#6
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:16 pm

gobison#6 wrote:
Dareybuck wrote:Ya for the games you just mentioned it seems to be at capacity at half time of the jv games. Thats a basketball atmosphere then. Oak Gove updated their gym about a year back w/ new hardwood and Northern Cass built a new gym a few years back, pretty spiffy

I just dont think that Northern Cass has enough seats in its new gym though, it still gets packed and there is not enough room against say Central Cass.

I'll agree with you there!! Northern Cass' gym is too small especially on the opponents side!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ClassBEast » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:28 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
gobison#6 wrote:

I'll agree with you there!! Northern Cass' gym is too small especially on the opponents side!

Yep, agreed. It's not a great design on the opponents' side - not enough room. It is however, better than their "old" gym (which is still newer than 95% of the gyms in ND), where the opponents' fans had to move during warm-ups so the pep band could play! That was irritating!
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GoPack#2 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:19 am

ClassBEast wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
gobison#6 wrote:

Yep, agreed. It's not a great design on the opponents' side - not enough room. It is however, better than their "old" gym (which is still newer than 95% of the gyms in ND), where the opponents' fans had to move during warm-ups so the pep band could play! That was irritating!

i always hated that cause then mostly likely you would lose your spot once the pep band was done playing
"Give them nothing but take from them everything"
GoPack#2
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Bill232H » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:19 pm

OK. I'm thinkin' I might get out there December 28, 29, & 30th. What would be good to see? I know that Linton has a Christmas Tourney and I see Four Winds is hosting something. Can anyone help with suggestions and/or schedules of game for those three days? Girls and Class A suggestions are OK. Especially anything for 12/30.
Bill232H
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ratman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:40 pm

Cavalier vs North Border preferably at Cavalier the stands are packed to the brim and some sit on the stage bleachers. Its exciting
ratman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The People » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:52 pm

I wouldn't recommend a class A game. The overall talent my be better but the atmosphere is nothing like class B.
The People
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:48 pm

If your looking for atmosphere, I wouldn't go with a girls game either. No offense to the ladies, but I just don't think the crowd is quite as riled up.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bill232H » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:30 pm

I understand that, of course, but I'm only going to be in North Dakota for three days, so I want to see as many games as possible. Not every team I might want to see will be playing on those dates.
Bill232H
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Raider Fan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:30 pm

yakama wrote:Go to Watford City they have a good atmosphere...and if you want a really good game to go to in WC definately go the Watfrod City vs. Dickinson Trinity game its an insane good game to watch most of the time and a great rivalry between the two schools.

Yes it was a good game at Watford City but Trinity came out with a win.
“Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships.”
--Michael Jordan
"Commitment to Excellence"
Al Davis
Raider Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Raider Fan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:48 pm

I think its safe to say that the region 7 championship atmosphere was great but when people started throwing stuff on the floor and bad sportmanship came into play then it turned kinda bad.
Last edited by Raider Fan on Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence win championships.”
--Michael Jordan
"Commitment to Excellence"
Al Davis
Raider Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:52 pm

Indy5 wrote:If your looking for atmosphere, I wouldn't go with a girls game either. No offense to the ladies, but I just don't think the crowd is quite as riled up.

Agree.. a regular season game has the same atmosphere as a library...
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby pregame » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:00 pm

too bad New Rockford has already consolidated with Sheyenne. When Minnewaukan-Sheyenne played NR in that old gym Sheyenne has, the gym was packed.
pregame
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Sportsknowledge » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:52 am

Cavaliers gym is pretty intense
Sportsknowledge
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:57 am

Oak Grove's gym gets pretty intense when hosting Kindred, Central Cass or Maple Valley. The gym was in standing room only for the Maple Valley and Kindred matchups this year (unfortunately the CC game was in the Dome this year).

Also to note that one of those teams could be down one year and the gym would still be packed!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby EHS1998 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:50 pm

I'll give a shout out to Lamoure, playing there is tough. Their fans are always in it, are very knowledgeable about the game and keep it pretty positive.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:14 pm

EHS1998 wrote:I'll give a shout out to Lamoure, playing there is tough. Their fans are always in it, are very knowledgeable about the game and keep it pretty positive.

That is very tough to find these days, good for them!
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:19 pm

Grafton is an amazing Gym when two good teams square off, I love that venue.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Stallng » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:51 pm

When Watford City is playing a rivalry at the Wolves' Den it is an excellent place to watch two teams square off!
Stallng
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bravefan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:43 pm

Berthold when they play a good team. It's packed when they play top teams. Real good environment. They have a small gym, but boy does it get rowdy when its packed!
bravefan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ndakotasports94 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:10 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Oak Grove's gym gets pretty intense when hosting Kindred, Central Cass or Maple Valley. The gym was in standing room only for the Maple Valley and Kindred matchups this year (unfortunately the CC game was in the Dome this year).

Also to note that one of those teams could be down one year and the gym would still be packed!

This is a great place to watch high school basketball! Along with the huge crowds it has some character with the balcony and lobby on the west end and teams often sharing a hallway on the way to locker rooms!
ndakotasports94
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys