2009 Boys Soccer

2009 Boys Soccer

Postby formersoccerplayer » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:04 am

A little early I know. But there has been some interesting off-season coaching and player moves.

North and St. Mary's both have new coaches (Melendez and Keller respectively), I also heard a rumor that Minot's coach wasn't coming back. St. Mary's best player transfers to BHS.

Melendez is a good coach and deserves the chance to be in control of his own program. He has paid his dues through coaching and playing. Him taking charge of North instantly boosts their chances.

Keller is another good coach. I think he was the best hire St. Mary's could have made at this time (though they passed on other names about 3 years ago), and he should bring some interesting changes to St. Mary's. I would bet their playing style changes.

However, with a new coaching hire also comes some bad news for St. Mary's. Their best player in my opinion, Fernandes, has transferred to BHS. I don't know if he will have to sit out or if a loop-hole will be found, but that just adds to BHS' young talent.

This year will be the year that some of the rebuilding starts to bear fruits. Century, BHS, and Shanley were pretty young last year. North, South, and St. Mary's will has some good players. I am not sure the statuses of the Mandan, Jamestown and Minot teams. Red River was young, and West Faro still are young. I don't know exactly how this season will shake out but it should be another good season of boys soccer.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Re: 2009 Boys Soccer

Postby soccer1 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:16 pm

I also heard about some of the coaching moves so far and we will have to wait and see how that all plays out. Alittle surprised about the Fernadez change to BHS as he may have to sit out a season. There is some good young talent out there and they should get a chance to play.

West: Don't know alot about the west, but BHS, CHS should be good as always and the SMHS coaching change may be a good move for them.

East: North lost some good players but have some good young talent that remains and with a new coach they could be tough. Shanley has some players left from last year but do not think they can repeat what happened last year. West Fargo is young as is Red River. South has good players remaining but lost one of the best players on defense in Mike Reidinger as well as Schell up front. GF Central will again struggle.

I also heard that the format for State this year will be similar to the girls State draw.

Looking forward to getting things started.
soccer1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby formersoccerplayer » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:44 pm

I think Century will be top in the West. They have the talent and the experience. BHS is talented, but are still young. Saint Mary's will do alright. But they will be in third, well behind BHS and Century. Minot, Mandan, and Jamestown will battle for fourth once again.

South has reloaded again. North has to, but not to the same extent.

Shanley winning the state title last year was completely about the coaching. Shanley probably had the 4th or 5th best talent in the state.

Like you said though. The coaching changes will be interesting, and a bunch of teams are still really young.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby anderson16 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:53 pm

soccer1 wrote:GF Central will again struggle.

I don't think GFC will struggle by any means, but nothing comes easy in the EDC.
anderson16
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby formersoccerplayer » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:33 pm

anderson16 wrote:I don't think GFC will struggle by any means, but nothing comes easy in the EDC.

Correct. The EDC is much deeper than the WDA. You can't really rule out any of the teams making it to state. Maybe Red River, but even then I wouldn't rule them out.

In the WDA, you can pretty much guarantee that Mandan will never make state. Jamestown, now that Shea is gone, probably won't make state.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby United012 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:45 am

but after crossover, with red river losing both games, (including minot) i really doubt red river will make it either. but i agree with mandan and jamestown not making it either. west fargo is now a possible contender for state now...
United012
NDPreps Reserve

Postby formersoccerplayer » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:43 pm

After the Crossover and early team standings, I think this is how the regular season standings will shake out for each region.

WDA
1. Century
2. BHS
3. St. Mary's
4. Minot
5. Mandan
6. Jamestown

Century and BHS are pretty much even talent-wise, even at keeper as Todd Kessler has shown that he is very good. However, CHS has more experience. More seniors. Also, I think Minot will take 4th during the regular season, but I think Mandan will upset them in the WDA tournament to make it to state. If they get the right draw.

EDC

1. Fargo South
2. West Fargo
3. Shanley
4. Central
5. Fargo North
6. Red River

I have been impressed by what I have heard about West Fargo and South. Then, at the same time, I have heard that North is struggling. Haven't seen or heard much about Red River. I heard Central was average, but didn't they beat North.

It would be shocking to see North not make state. But I wasn't impressed with either North or Shanley of the 30-40 minutes I saw of both teams.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby anderson16 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:33 pm

I don't think your giving Central enough credit. I also think you might be giving West Fargo too much. Central did beat North and tied West Fargo. I haven't seen South play much yet, but I heard they're not as impressive as years past. I do agree on Red River though. I'd say it might look more like:

1. South
2. Central
3. West Fargo
4. North
5. Shanley
6. Red River

Although, I don't think anyone can really make a prediction on this years EDC. Too strong of teams.
anderson16
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby formersoccerplayer » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:02 pm

I can't believe Shanley has fallen off that much.

At the crossover, South looked the best of the East. Hands down.

I think spots 2-5 will be a battle.

I don't think I am giving WF too much credit, but I would agree, I haven't seen Central play enough to give them their proper credit. How are they compared to last year?
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby anderson16 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:57 pm

Yeah, I can't believe Shanley fell that much too actually. I started to make the list and ended up realizing that I have no idea where to put any of the top 5 teams. Each game is gonna be a battle and no one will really be able to tell until it's all said and done. I don't really know how GFC is compared to last year's team, but I know they have a lot of real good players is key positions like Alex Nagel, David Sayler, Kris Scott, Aaron Muz wasn't too bad last year, Luke Schulz, Brett Loftus, Jake Purpur, and even a couple quality subs.

But as we've said plenty, every team seems to have quality players and it's gonna be a battle. I wouldn't even give South the solid #1 spot.
anderson16
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby formersoccerplayer » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:50 am

State this year is going to be interesting, because even the teams that are considered the best in their respective regions (South and Century) aren't head and shoulders above all other competitors.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby United012 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:48 pm

very true. also big games tonite as south takes on central, two of the top EDC contenders going at it, and then south has another tough one against west fargo thursday. should be a very interesting year, alot of strong teams...
United012
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Favrefan4ever » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:10 pm

heres how i have the edc right now but this will definitely change
edc is really tight this year and anything could happen
1. south
2.central
3.shanley
4.west fargo
5.north
6.red river
if north starts playing like they can i would definitely move them to 3 and shanley to 5
and west fargo and central could maybe switch spots we'll have to see
should be a great season
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"-Steve Prefontaine
Favrefan4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby United012 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:06 pm

wait for south to play west fargo, if south dominates or wins, ill agree. if its close, watch for wf to move up to 3, maybe even 2... south dominated central 5-1 tonite by the way...
United012
NDPreps Reserve

Postby formersoccerplayer » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:51 am

Halfway through the season. People can't keep discounting WF. They are for real. Second in the EDC.

I think Central and Shanley came into the season a little overrated. I have seen each of them play one-two more times and I just don't think they are as good as some claim.

South is the best, no question.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby Favrefan4ever » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:35 pm

formersoccerplayer wrote:Halfway through the season. People can't keep discounting WF. They are for real. Second in the EDC.

I think Central and Shanley came into the season a little overrated. I have seen each of them play one-two more times and I just don't think they are as good as some claim.

South is the best, no question.

yeah i completely agree i would change my edc rankings to the following at the midway point
1 South (played well in all edc games except WF they looked like they weren't connecting in that game very well)
2West Fargo (looked good in all their edc games and at crossover)
3North ( hard to place very inconsistent play in edc games up to this point)
4Central ( hard to place depends on how they and other teams play )
5Shanley (hard to know where to put them starting goalie Ben glogoza is still hurt and best defender dan jordan is hurt with those two players in and ben fowler up top they could be as high as 2 or 3 and definately in the top 4 with those players probably at 2 maybe 3)
6 Red River ( no doubt)

should be an interesting 2nd half to the edc play all teams except red river have a chance to make state and one team will be left out and nobody is allready in but red river is out no way they will make state
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift"-Steve Prefontaine
Favrefan4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby United012 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:29 pm

next week should really determine the next state rankings.
Tuesday, September 22
GF Central @ Fargo North
Fargo Shanley @ Fargo South
West Fargo @ GF Red River

Thursday, September 24
Fargo North @ West Fargo
GF Red River @ Fargo Shanley
Fargo South @ GF Central

that north vs central game should determine the 3rd place.
United012
NDPreps Reserve

Postby formersoccerplayer » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:20 pm

Same in the West. The Top 4 (Minot, BHS, CHS, SMCHS) play each other on Tuesday, and the Top 2 (BHS, CHS) play each other on Thursday.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby dinosports » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:36 pm

[/quote]
yeah i completely agree i would change my edc rankings to the following at the midway point
1 South (played well in all edc games except WF they looked like they weren't connecting in that game very well)
2West Fargo (looked good in all their edc games and at crossover)
3North ( hard to place very inconsistent play in edc games up to this point)
4Central ( hard to place depends on how they and other teams play )
5Shanley (hard to know where to put them starting goalie Ben glogoza is still hurt and best defender dan jordan is hurt with those two players in and ben fowler up top they could be as high as 2 or 3 and definately in the top 4 with those players probably at 2 maybe 3)
6 Red River ( no doubt)

should be an interesting 2nd half to the edc play all teams except red river have a chance to make state and one team will be left out and nobody is allready in but red river is out no way they will make state[/quote]
I agree with this, it will be very close between south and west fargo, however if north starts playing at their best they will be up there right with south and west fargo. i guess we will have to wait and see how north does against gfc and west fargo this week, then we will know whether to rule them in or out.
dinosports
NDPreps Rookie

Postby anderson16 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:37 pm

GFC and North came to a 1-1 draw.
West beat RR 6-0.
anderson16
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:55 pm

anderson16 wrote:GFC and North came to a 1-1 draw.
West beat RR 6-0.

South and Shanley tied 2-2
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Favrefan4ever » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:51 pm

how was the GFC north game
i was at the south shanley game
south started well first 5 minutes the played badly rest of half
besides first 5 minute shanley played well in 1st half
shanley created better chances than south in first half
2nd half both teams played well with south creating more chances than shanley
Favrefan4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby United012 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:13 am

South beats central 2-0
United012
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Favrefan4ever » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:42 pm

West Fargo 4-0 over north
shanley 2-1 over red river
shanley scored with like 10 seconds left to take lead
Favrefan4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby toeman20 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:16 pm

hows Mandan?
toeman20
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Soccer