Badlands Bowl, (MonDak Game) ND gets killed again

North Dakota High School Football
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Badlands Bowl, (MonDak Game) ND gets killed again

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:10 am

How many people are getting sick and tired of North Dakota getting killed in this game?

We have four wins in 16 years which is embarassing!

40 passing attempts in an all sar game? come on! 50% of those passes hit the ground. zero yards, no gain, on half of your passing attempts.

Grothman had 1freaking rushing attempt? did he get hurt? or did he play defense.

I am peaved, I think Montana takes this game quite a bit more seriously than North Dakota does.

North Dakota better start taking it serious or just bag it, we are a laughing stock.

Montana takes Badlands Bowl, 33-7
Townsend's Theriault scores 3 TDs to lead Treasure State squad
By GREG RACHAC
Of The Gazette Staff

MILES CITY - Shade Theriault knew he'd have a chance to make some plays in the 16th annual Knights of Columbus Badlands Bowl.

But he never expected them to be game-changers.

Sure enough, Townsend's Theriault became the night's brightest star by hauling in two long touchdown passes and running for another to lead the Montana All-Stars to a 33-7 victory over North Dakota Saturday at Denton Field.

Theriault, a 6-foot, 190-pound receiver, broke North Dakota with a 79-yard touchdown catch over the top from quarterback Matt Reyant late in the second quarter to give Montana a 19-7 lead. He added insult to injury in the fourth quarter with a 73-yard bomb from Reyant on a similar play to cap another Montana blowout.

And those came after his 7-yard touchdown run around left end in the second quarter that broke a 7-7 tie.

"We went through practice this week and put in a couple plays that were designed to get me the ball," Theriault said. "And then we got out here and we found out that it was going to work against the defense they were running. So we went with them, and they were big plays."

The victory was Montana's second straight in the series and added to the string of large-margined wins at Denton Field.

The Montana All-Stars have now beaten North Dakota 12 times overall, including 11 of the last 13 contests and seven straight times at home.

Theriault, who will play at Rocky Mountain College, finished with four catches for 156 yards. He also rushed for 68 yards on six attempts to earn his team's offensive MVP award.

Theriault's 156 receiving yards set a new Badlands Bowl record, breaking the previous mark of 140 set by Billings West's Dustin Michaelis in 2001.

His touchdown catches of 79 and 73 yards also bested that of the previous record of 70, set by Montana's Jeff Schultz in 2003.

Reyant and Theriault had a good thing going through the air.

"He was open over the top, and I just threw it," said Reyant, who led Capital to the State AA title last fall. "I knew he could catch them if I threw it up and he ran under it and got them. They were both great catches and great plays by him."

Montana made a huge defensive stand at the outset of the second half that swung the game.

North Dakota was marching on its opening drive of the third quarter and had a first-and-goal from the 10-yard line.

But after catching a Justin Purintun pass, tight end Justin Flatland fumbled the ball at the 2-yard line.

Montana defensive back Sean Donahue, also out of Capital, forced the fumble and Miles City's Hayden Kalfell pounced on it in the end zone.

Had Flatland gone into the end zone - it would have been his second TD catch of the day - North Dakota would have pared the deficit down to five points.

Instead, Montana marched 80 yards in the next five minutes to extend its lead. Quarterback Steven Rominger, a Missoula Sentinel product, capped that drive with a 2-yard touchdown run.

"That was the key to the game," said Capital coach Pat Murphy, who served as Montana's head coach. "They had the momentum and we couldn't stop them. But they fumbled in the end zone and we went 80 yards and scored. That gave us the momentum and it kind of hurt them."

"We had a nice drive going but we made a little mistake," said Purintun, a Linton product. "But you can never blame a game on one play. Offensively and defensively we just didn't get it done tonight."

Montana opened the scoring on the game's first drive when Reyant dashed five yards on an option play to grab a 7-0 lead.

Purintun and Flatland hooked up on a 26-yard scoring strike early in the second quarter to tie the game, but that was all Montana's defense allowed.

Linebackers Ty Timmer (Great Falls) and Aleksei Grosulak (Billings Central), along with defensive tackle Colton Hill (Glasgow), helped stymie North Dakota's running game, which averaged just 2.8 yards on 31 attempts.

Hill earned Montana's defensive MVP nod.

Montana rushed for 298 yards and accumulated an even 500 yards of total offense. Theriault's rushing yards led the team, while Rominger finished with 58 yards and Miles City's Brennen Haughian added 45 more on six carries.

"We really showed that we could put it together in a week," Reyant said. "This is a great group of guys. They all wanted to learn coming in. They picked up the offense real well and it showed tonight. Everybody knew their assignments and their reads."

NOTES: Purintun was named North Dakota's offensive MVP while linebacker Brandon Jemison, a North Dakota State recruit, earned the defensive MVP nod. ... After a year hiatus, the Badlands Bowl will return to Dickinson, N.D., next June. An ongoing $16 million renovation to Whitney Stadium forced the game back to Denton Field for a second consecutive year.

Montana 33, North Dakota 7
North Dakota 0 7 0 0 - 7Montana 7 12 7 7 - 33

First quarter

Mont - Reyant 5 run (King kick), 10:54.

Second quarter

ND - Flatland 26 pass from Purintun (Reisenauer kick), 13:16.

Mont - Theriault 7 run (kick failed), 8:22.

Mont - Theriault 79 pass from Reyant (run failed), 1:24.

Third quarter

Mont - Rominger 2 run (King kick), 3:26.

Fourth quarter

Mont - Theriault 73 pass from Reyant (King kick), 10:52.

Team statistics

ND MTFirst downs 17 18Rushes-yards 31-86 55-298Passing 21-40-0 11-17-1Passing yards 213 202Total yards 299 500Punts 8 4Fumbles-lost 3-2 2-1

Individual statistics

Rushing - North Dakota: Elliott 10-75, Jemison 3-18, Wolfe 6-4, Jelinek 3-2, Grothmann 1-2, Purintun 8-(-15). Montana: Theriault 6-68, Rominger 15-58, Haughian 6-45, Bertelsen 8-40, Reyant 7-39, Buer 9-29, King 4-19.

Passing - North Dakota: Purinton 21-39-0-213, Lalim 0-1-0-0. Montana: Reyant 7-12-1-188, Rominger 4-5-0-16.

Receiving - North Dakota: Kaiser 5-63, Schank 6-40, Flatland 3-52, Wolfe 3-25, Weidler 1-8, Smith 1-3. Montana: Theriault 4-156, Torgerson 2-15, Buer 1-14, Miller 2-11, Stenberg 1-6.
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Re: Badlands Bowl, (MonDak Game) ND gets killed again

Postby baller01 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:17 pm

Guru were you at the game?
Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is. -Vince Lombardi
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:14 am

No I was not, It was supposed to be in North Dakota this year but because of work being done at whitney field in Dickinson they played two years in a row in Montana.

Why would we not play the game in Bismarck?
"One thing you have to remember Bobby, soccer was invented in europe by women, so they would have something to do while the men stayed home and did the dishes"
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby baller01 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:42 pm

Oh I know that. My question had a hint of sarcasim in it. I want to know what kind of North Dakota football fan you are to call out team ND and say they don't take the game as serious as Montana? Team ND played their you know whats off and I think it is a huge slap in the face to the coaches and players that played in the Mondak for you to undermine there determination in this game. For your information this game was a lot closer then the score shows. Team ND gave up two big pass plays for touchdowns that shouldn't have happened and fumbled the ball at the 1 yard line. Basically 21 point difference. The game very easily could have been a 19-14 game. As far as passing 40 times? Team ND had a difficult time running the ball. It goes to show only averaging something like 2.8 yrds/carry. It is just a reality that Montana produces bigger linemen. It isn't Team ND's fault. Their linemen tried their best. Montana was just a good run stopping team. Sorry you are embarrassed that Team ND lost but I consider it a huge slap in the face to say that Team ND doesn't take the game as serious as Montana. Like I said, anyone THAT WAS AT THE GAME, would know that Team ND left it all on the field.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby squeak63 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:08 am

let me get my 2 cents in here...i am guessing that your avitar is the fargo north spartin... i am not sure because its different then their real mascot but thats what it looks like it me... if it is then i ask why didn't your 2 fargo north spartins who were nominated to play actually play in the game play??? i know that mcdougle and schnable were both nominated... also something to ponder... look at ND's oline... only 2 of them are going to play college football for o-line... the 2 tackles... their center is doing track in college and their 2 guards are both playing defense in college.... now i know because i am one of them that once you know you are going to play defense in college offense doesn't even cross your mind... i hadn't gotten into a offense stance since the state championship game all i have been doing in the winter and the spring is defense defense defense... its really hard to get into a good rythme as an offensive linemen when offense hasn't crossed your mind since november and you only have a week of practice... also their rover linemen who subbed at every position yeah he is playing defense in college too
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby squeak63 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:15 am

also the reason it is played in myles city and dickinson is because thats where the 2 reid brothers lived when they started the game... dickinson is going to have a great facility next year and will be more then able to host the game...i heard the PA annoucer say before the game that denton field was the nicest high school football complex in the state of montana and if that is really the case montana really needs to think about getting some better complexes to play at... i don't think if have played at a complex in ND that was as bad as denton feild... the grass was probably 5 inches long and you could barely see because of the cotton... no locker rooms... no real good bathroom facility for players... just wasn't a very player friendly field...i don't know how it was for fans but i didn't like playing there
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:30 am

I do not deny that the players from North Dakota did not play hard or take the game serious, but I don't want to hear woulda coulda shouda either. The score was 33-7, we fumbled into the endzone after a 95 yard drive, yes it's tough luck, but I want more than four wins in this game. What I mean by taking the game serious is the North Dakota committee promoting the game better, fighting to keep the game in North Dakota on our year, the game had been played at Bismarck before why not this year.

Squeak also reinforced my thoughts that there is some questionalbe coaching and players out of position, also, I know for a fact that there are some tremendous athletes not playing in this game. How about Brent Qvale he's big, and arguably the best lineman in the state. I don't know why he did'nt play I assume it was a good reason, since Williston's coach was there. How about Garrett Andel the nose guard from Valley City? Probably the best Nose in the State, I did'nt see him on the roster.

North Dakota needs it's best athletes to play in this game, I think a majority of them are but not all. Most years we do not match up with Montana's speed, So why don't we put more of an emphasis on defense, there should be a defensive minded coach every year who gets to pick his defense first. Then the offeseive coordinator picks his players, they are still all state kids, and cream of the crop for offense, we just need to be more deliberate when the teams are picked.

We need to run a ball controll offense that keeps the ball away from Montana's speed and size, an offense that uses double teams and simple blocking rules vs. different fronts.

Obviously we are not doing the things we need to, we need to be more competetive, and North Dakota needs to take a serious look at what we can do to make it better.
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:16 pm

you have quite the opinion on what they need for a guy who wasnt at the game....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:37 pm

Qvale didn't play because Nebraska won't let him. Also, another thing that keeps a lot of players away is baseball.

You don't want to hear the woulda coulda shoulda? That is fine. I was just telling you that if you would have been at the game, you would understand the game was closer then the score showed.

I agree with baseball... You have a lot of opinions for not being at the game. Just remember... It's an all-star game. You want to attract people to the game. Do people enjoy going to a game where all it is is 3 yards an a cloud of dust?
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:50 pm

baseball wrote:you have quite the opinion on what they need for a guy who wasnt at the game....

I am basing my opinion on 16 years of following the game, only 4 have been wins for North Dakota.

Nine lopsided scores in favor of Montana.

I am not picking on the kids I am simply making an observation that North Dakota can't show up and play they need to look at what they can do to even things out.

1994 -- North Dakota 28, Montana 19

1995 -- Montana 27, North Dakota 18

1996 -- North Dakota 23, Montana 22

1997 -- Montana 39, North Dakota 14

1998 -- Montana 17, North Dakota 8

1999 -- Montana 42, North Dakota 0

2000 -- Montana 51, North Dakota 6

2001 -- Montana 33, North Dakota 0

2002 -- Montana 16, North Dakota 7

2003 -- Montana 27, North Dakota 13

2004 -- Montana 55, North Dakota 7

2005 -- North Dakota 53, Montana 29

2006 -- Montana 42, North Dakota 23

2007 -- North Dakota 30, Montana 21

2008 -- Montana 54, North Dakota 14

2009-- Montana 33, Norht Dakota 7
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby baller01 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:55 pm

[/quote]I am not picking on the kids I am simply making an observation that North Dakota can't show up and play they need to look at what they can do to even things out. [/quote]

Well what could they do? You take the best coaches and best players and play the game... What other brilliant ideas do you have?
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:42 pm

The best players and Coaches are used to having some success against weaker competion. Now, in this game history tells us that we do not match up that great every year. So we have to game plan for that.

#1 don't choose a head coach, choose the best canidate for D-cooridnator, the best canidate for O- coordinator, special teams coach, o-line coach, d-line coach.

#2 defense picks first, double check the list, make sure everything on defesne is shored up. Try and force turnovers.

#3 100% platoon don't waste what precious practice time you have trying to get a couple kids to play both ways.

#4 Score or make special teams a factor in the game, return a punt, or kick and maintain superior field position. all 11 players not on first team O or D work on special teams as much as possible.

#5 Control the ball, do not put yourself in 3rd and long, pass on second and short, keep the ball away from Montana, play for four downs not three, keep their defense on the field as long as possible. All plays are designed to work but how they are executed is the key. Keep it simple and have adjustments to different fronts.

#6 Scouting, what coach goes into a game not knowing what defense or offese they will likely face. Maybe they already do this, that I do not know.

Keep in mind, some of this may already be going on and sometimes the other team has a good day and there is not a thing we can do, thats life, but again we can not play the game as equals, history has shown that Montana has a larger talent pool to draw from and we need to find a way to equalize it in any small way possible.
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:33 pm

1...its an all star game. I'm sure they dont search high and low, analyzing each coaches knowledge of the game to see if they can win 1 game from a week of practice. so they go with a coach who has had recent success.

2....cuz the offense was sure puting up a lot of points in the scores you posted. when you average 13 points a game you might want to have some offensive players too, not just defense. no matter how good your defense is you still need to score to win.

3.....how many players played both ways since you werent at the game, so to say they dont have a defensive team and an offensive team im assuming is wrong.

4....cuz teams always just say lets fair catch every kick and not try to block kicks. lets take special teams out of the game. I dont even play football and never have except Madden and even I know that special teams and field position is the biggest key to the game.

5....have you ever played for/seen a coach that didnt say soemthing like play smart, dont turn it over, control the ball, dont force it, take what they give you.

6....theres not really a way to scout an all-star game, because thats exactly what it is...an all star game.

its almost like your suggesting coaches to quit there jobs and go scout Montana football for a whole year just to win the Badlands Bowl.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baller01 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:36 am

GRIDIRON GURU wrote:The best players and Coaches are used to having some success against weaker competion. Now, in this game history tells us that we do not match up that great every year. So we have to game plan for that.

#1 don't choose a head coach, choose the best canidate for D-cooridnator, the best canidate for O- coordinator, special teams coach, o-line coach, d-line coach.

#2 defense picks first, double check the list, make sure everything on defesne is shored up. Try and force turnovers.

#3 100% platoon don't waste what precious practice time you have trying to get a couple kids to play both ways.

#4 Score or make special teams a factor in the game, return a punt, or kick and maintain superior field position. all 11 players not on first team O or D work on special teams as much as possible.

#5 Control the ball, do not put yourself in 3rd and long, pass on second and short, keep the ball away from Montana, play for four downs not three, keep their defense on the field as long as possible. All plays are designed to work but how they are executed is the key. Keep it simple and have adjustments to different fronts.

#6 Scouting, what coach goes into a game not knowing what defense or offese they will likely face. Maybe they already do this, that I do not know.

Keep in mind, some of this may already be going on and sometimes the other team has a good day and there is not a thing we can do, thats life, but again we can not play the game as equals, history has shown that Montana has a larger talent pool to draw from and we need to find a way to equalize it in any small way possible.

1. Head coach/Off Coord- Brad Sandy: Back-2-Back state champion. If you have ever watched Harvery, you know they have a pretty good offense.
Defensive Coord- Dale Colby: Coached the defense for BHS that won state this year. Safe to say he was pretty solid to coach defense. I see nothing wrong with those two coaches in their respective postions.

2. The ND defense had just about as much talent as possible. 4 of the 5 North Dakota D-1 recruits played the majority on defense. Hager, Drevlow, Jemison, Jelinek. The ND offense only had one D-1 recruit in Grothman.

3. The majority of the team did platoon 100%. Jemison played majority on defense but had too much talent to not play a few plays on offense. Jelinek played some both ways. And Lalim had to learn both the QB and defensive back positions as he was the backup QB and DB. So for the most part only 3 guys didn't platoon.

4. You don't think every team tries to make special teams a big part of the game? Punt and kick returns are huge! But guess what... they don't happen all that often. Once a game? MAYBE. It is pretty hard to get a punt, punt return, kickoff, kickoff return, and extra point team all within a week when the majority of time needs to be spent on learning the offense and defense. And another thing... really good highschool kickers, kicking from the highschool yard line, tend to kick the ball out of the back of the endzone. I think Team ND only returned a couple kickoffs. So basically that takes away the oppurtunity for kickoff returns.

5. Duh you want to control the ball. Duh you don't want to be in 3rd and long. That is basic football knowledge. Too bad it doesn't always work. Team ND gets the ball start of the 3rd qt and goes 95 yards. That looks like ball control to me. You are right all plays are designed to work. You fail to forget that the entire offense was learned in a matter of 6 days. You act like this team has 3 weeks of two-a-days to get this offense totally perfect. And also like I said earlier... this is an all-star game, people don't come to see 3 yards and a cloud of dust. But since I can tell that is the kind of guy you are, I can tell you aren't much for passing, I will show something to you. Team ND averaged 2.8 yards/carry, run on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down, you are facing 4th down and roughly 1-2 yards to go. Looks like 3 and out to me.

6. Team ND had a wonderful scouting report on what defense and offense they were likely to see. Coach Colby had a new set of scout plays every day to have ran against the defense.

Remember... It is an all-star game. Who usually wins all-star games? Usually the team with more all-stars. Look at any all-star game at any level, usually it comes down to who has more talent. Montana has a larger talent pool to draw from thus more likely to have more all-stars.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby GRIDIRON GURU » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:30 am

If you want to beleive that North Dakota stinks at football I guess thats your opinion, I think we could do better, thats mine.
Hank Hill
GRIDIRON GURU
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:50 am

It's not about ND stinking at football, its about sample size. Would an All-Star team from Minneapolis-St Paul beat an all-star team from bismarck-mandan? Everytime. Not because ND stinks, its because Minn-SP has a larger sample size to choose from, thus the likelihood of getting better players. Montana has more kids then North Dakota, thus the liklihood of getting better players.

Your a guru...you shold understand it's not just X's and O's. you need the athletes to execute those X's and O's.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby KyleJRM » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:57 am

For the most recent data I could find, Montana has 220k people under the age of 18. North Dakota is under 150k. That will make a big difference in quality of athletes, especially depth-wise.
KyleJRM
NDPreps Starter

Postby baller01 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:58 pm

I think baseball and KyleJRm proved my points.
baller01
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby D-Pain » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:09 am

KyleJRM wrote:For the most recent data I could find, Montana has 220k people under the age of 18. North Dakota is under 150k. That will make a big difference in quality of athletes, especially depth-wise.

Amen. And Gridiron Guru seems to be nothing but an armchair qb. Ive lived in each state for nearly eight years each, and I know from first hand experience that every single player in each locker room wants to show that their state has the supreme game. The experience of that the guys get from that week of practice is unlike any other, and even though Montana seems to come out on top nearly every time, its still a positive experience for both states and all the kids. However, ND needs to get some momentum going in the series next year in a revamped DSU stadium that should be rockin' for an ND win!
D-Pain
NDPreps Starter

Postby Big Blue » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:15 am

I watched the game on television last night and by no means did it feel like a 31-7 game. Like Baller 01, ND came to play and played their butts off. Two mt touchdowns on bombs off of blown coverage and the big turnover were the difference. Justin Puritan played one heck of a game. He played cool and calm under pressure and did everything he could to help his team win. The game was tight so Gridiron Guru, if you have a chance to check out the game, do it. You would have been proud of North Dakota. Congrats to all the nd players on a game well-fought.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Football