Best all around wrestler from any generation

Best all around wrestler from any generation

Postby ndbsktbllfan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:03 pm

Lenny Decouteau from belcourt, terry decouteau, scott owens from dl, josey ness among others
ndbsktbllfan

Re: Best all around wrestler from any generation

Postby ndbsktbllfan » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:05 pm

or doug zinke from rolla
ndbsktbllfan

Postby aceofspades » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:29 pm

Gee -- wonder which part of the state you hale from? :roll:
aceofspades
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:34 pm

Help me out - who was the wrestler from Lakota that won 5 state titles? I would say that merits a place in this discussion.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndbsktbllfan » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:57 pm

Yeah your right, I am a little biased but I cant help it. I dont really pay that much attention to wrestling. sorry, I do know that ness and owens were tough though. Our wrestlers were always talking about those boys.
ndbsktbllfan

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:29 pm

Paul Syvrud from Mandan, early to mid 80s in college at Jmst.......believe 3 time ND state champion, only lost 2 matches in college, both his freshman year, 3 time national champion.
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndbsktbllfan » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:09 pm

someone with that kind of talent should be coaching somewhere to pass the knowledge down to younger athletes. That is very impresive though, his accomplishments are amazing. :shock:
ndbsktbllfan

Postby E@stern Executioner » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:19 pm

ndbsktbllfan wrote:someone with that kind of talent should be coaching somewhere to pass the knowledge down to younger athletes. That is very impresive though, his accomplishments are amazing. :shock:

Agreed. Every great wrestler makes a great coach. Plus, how could the guy turn down the kind of money that coaches are making these days?
Don't lose your dinosaur.
E@stern Executioner
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndbsktbllfan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:11 pm

E@stern Executioner wrote:
ndbsktbllfan wrote:someone with that kind of talent should be coaching somewhere to pass the knowledge down to younger athletes. That is very impresive though, his accomplishments are amazing. :shock:

Agreed. Every great wrestler makes a great coach. Plus, how could the guy turn down the kind of money that coaches are making these days?

I dont know that coaches make a lot of money, especially high school coaches. But wrestling is a lot like basketball, not all players make good coaches, in this case I am probably wrong but wrestlers have a their own style of competing and that is what they tend to teach although the athletes that they are coaching might work better with other styles. do you agree?
ndbsktbllfan

Postby E@stern Executioner » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:22 pm

ndbsktbllfan wrote:

I dont know that coaches make a lot of money, especially high school coaches. But wrestling is a lot like basketball, not all players make good coaches, in this case I am probably wrong but wrestlers have a their own style of competing and that is what they tend to teach although the athletes that they are coaching might work better with other styles. do you agree?

My post was sarcasm. Your's was correct - coaches do NOT get paid enough and great wrestlers do NOT always make great coaches.
Don't lose your dinosaur.
E@stern Executioner
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndbsktbllfan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:25 pm

ndbsktbllfan wrote:

My post was sarcasm. Your's was correct - coaches do NOT get paid enough and great wrestlers do NOT always make great coaches.

of course though if you were to ask them, they wouldnt say they were in it for the money, just to be around the sport. That is having heart, and love for the sport. And to them, it is the best thing in the world. This is my opinion.
ndbsktbllfan

Postby Franktv » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:33 pm

Luke Mellmer by far is the greatest North Dakota wrestler of all time. Seriously, look at this kids record :D :D :D :D :D :D :D . Unbeleivable!
Franktv
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndbsktbllfan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:35 pm

Franktv wrote:Luke Mellmer by far is the greatest North Dakota wrestler of all time. Seriously, look at this kids record :D :D :D :D :D :D :D . Unbeleivable!

so you think that luke was the best mellmer then? maybe, but they were all tough in their prime.
ndbsktbllfan

Postby Franktv » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:06 pm

Yes, any of them could be considered in the top five easily. I just had the chance to watch Luke more than the others.
Franktv
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndbsktbllfan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:39 am

Franktv wrote:Yes, any of them could be considered in the top five easily. I just had the chance to watch Luke more than the others.

I think an arguement can be made for the sayler (hope that is spelled right) family as well.
ndbsktbllfan

Postby goatspeed » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:38 pm

Hinsa wrote:Help me out - who was the wrestler from Lakota that won 5 state titles? I would say that merits a place in this discussion.

I think you are thinking of Dave Hilliard. You'd have to consider him or Mark Pazdernick (sp?). Dennis Friestad had a season where the only points he gave up were 2 penalty points. That's not 5x state championships, but that kind of domination can't be ignored.

This is kind of an impossible question to answer without some qualifications. Is it best in high school, or who was the best wrestler with highschool, college, and beyond?
goatspeed

Postby ndbsktbllfan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:46 pm

I was originally referring to high school, anything but the professional bull spit. But only 2 pts. all season, that is crazy impressive man. wow :shock:
ndbsktbllfan

Postby hardcharger » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:41 pm

ndbsktbllfan wrote:Lenny Decouteau from belcourt, terry decouteau, scott owens from dl, josey ness among others

your leaving out kenneth pettie, strength speed and determination. one fine wrestler
hardcharger
NDPreps Starter

Postby Jwall512 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:50 pm

The Rock........"Can you smell what the Rock is cookin"
Stupid is as Stupid does

-Forrest Gump
Jwall512
NDPreps Starter

Postby moomba320 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:34 am

You guys have to look at what they did after high school as the strongest measuring tool. Syvrud has a great record and championships but... Terry and Troy Steiner won multiple high school championships, both won a Division 1 National Championship and wrestled for Iowa. The titles at the highest level give them the nod in my opinion.
moomba320

Postby dowork » Tue May 05, 2009 11:04 pm

ndbsktbllfan wrote:Lenny Decouteau from belcourt, terry decouteau, scott owens from dl, josey ness among others

Josey ness got beat up by troy sabot. im gonna be a little bias too and say that the best wrestlers were the steiner brothers. kasey gillis has got to be near the top of the list too.
Oh baby i like it raw
dowork
NDPreps Reserve

Postby 10thousandfists2 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:22 pm

Alan Neer-84 Bismarck his son Zach Neer is try to be better than his father but not happening so far
Zach's credentials-05 doubled out 06 1-2 (the win was against his cousin Seth Neer) 07 5th place 08 2nd place

But no one in ND can beat Scott Schiller in recent years
10thousandfists2
NDPreps Rookie

Postby theman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:34 pm

10thousandfists2 wrote:Alan Neer-84 Bismarck his son Zach Neer is try to be better than his father but not happening so far
Zach's credentials-05 doubled out 06 1-2 (the win was against his cousin Seth Neer) 07 5th place 08 2nd place

10thousand fists should not be thrown at someone because they have some rough times. I personally know Zach Neer, and I know that he's in wrestling because he loves it, not because he's trying to be better than his dad. Just because his dad was good doesn't mean that Zach has to live up to expectations. Zach could probably beat you anyday
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 10thousandfists2 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:29 pm

theman wrote:
10thousandfists2 wrote:Alan Neer-84 Bismarck his son Zach Neer is try to be better than his father but not happening so far

10thousand fists should not be thrown at someone because they have some rough times. I personally know Zach Neer, and I know that he's in wrestling because he loves it, not because he's trying to be better than his dad. Just because his dad was good doesn't mean that Zach has to live up to expectations. Zach could probably beat you anyday

I know Zach Neer better then you and I never said he was wrestling just to be better then his dad. Also I have wrestled him to screw around, and not sweet he'd beat me I'm not a wrestler but doesn't mean I don't know my sweet
10thousandfists2
NDPreps Rookie

Postby theman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:22 pm

10thousandfists2 wrote:
theman wrote:

I know Zach Neer better then you and I never said he was wrestling just to be better then his dad. Also I have wrestled him to screw around, and not sweet he'd beat me I'm not a wrestler but doesn't mean I don't know my sweet

Read your own comment. You specifically said that he is trying to better than his dad.
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Wrestling