Internet Party Photos and the NDHSAA Ineligibility Rules

A place for all other topics related to North Dakota high schools, and athletics.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Internet Party Photos and the NDHSAA Ineligibility Rules

Postby baseball » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:42 pm

[quote="NorthDakota11"]A friend really isn't a friend if he/she is asking you to do something that could seriously affect a commitment to something that in most cases you love to do and usually only get four years to do... [quote]

so when do you guys give up on friendships?? a 4 year max commitment trumps a commitment you have already been in for 10+ years?? im always there for my friends....always will be even in 20 years. over obsessing aobut work causes alot of divorces. but if thats the most important thing in your life...then i believe you have to reconsider your priorities. just my opinion
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:26 pm

great post
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NorthDakota11 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:51 am

baseball wrote:
NorthDakota11 wrote:A friend really isn't a friend if he/she is asking you to do something that could seriously affect a commitment to something that in most cases you love to do and usually only get four years to do...

so when do you guys give up on friendships?? a 4 year max commitment trumps a commitment you have already been in for 10+ years?? im always there for my friends....always will be even in 20 years. over obsessing aobut work causes alot of divorces. but if thats the most important thing in your life...then i believe you have to reconsider your priorities. just my opinion

Not once did I say you should abandon your friendships... and I don't think anyone else did either... I didn't drink a drop in high school and seven years later I'm still great friends with a lot of the guys I went to high school with that drank... I got a lot of crap for it but it was never mean spirited, they respected me and knew straight up that I wouldn't go to any parties... but knew my car was always available for a ride... the point I'm making is, its not right for those "friends" to put you in that spot... and you as an athlete have to have some common sense and say... I'm not going to do that, I've made a commitment to my school, my teamates, and my community... They aren't going to stop being your friend because you choose to do something else then drink... I know from personal experience...
"Why did you go for two?"

"Because I couldn't go for three..." - Woody Hayes
NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby rock83 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:11 am

It's silly to argue about this subject. Many teenagers have the same thoughts as you do right now in your life i understand that. But later on in life you will realize that you friends arent as important as you and what you believe in. When you have a family of your own you will realize that your friends come second. When you have a full time occupation you will realize that friends come behind that as well. And high school athletics are there to help you realize that commitments you make to a team are something you should take seriously. Because that team someday will be you family. You can mess up now with your team but hopefully you will realize from the mistakes you made and not make them again when you have a spouse and a little one. Because your friends will not be as important as them.
As far as right now. If your school has guilt by association you know the consequences and if your friends are more important than your whole team then do what you think it right. But be ready to accept the consequences.
NorthDakota11 wrote:
baseball wrote:
NorthDakota11 wrote:A friend really isn't a friend if he/she is asking you to do something that could seriously affect a commitment to something that in most cases you love to do and usually only get four years to do...

Not once did I say you should abandon your friendships... and I don't think anyone else did either... I didn't drink a drop in high school and seven years later I'm still great friends with a lot of the guys I went to high school with that drank... I got a lot of crap for it but it was never mean spirited, they respected me and knew straight up that I wouldn't go to any parties... but knew my car was always available for a ride... the point I'm making is, its not right for those "friends" to put you in that spot... and you as an athlete have to have some common sense and say... I'm not going to do that, I've made a commitment to my school, my teamates, and my community... They aren't going to stop being your friend because you choose to do something else then drink... I know from personal experience...
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby riders » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:28 am

if they are your friends, they will be as NorthDakota11 said. You might get a little crap for not going out and partying but that won't stop them from being your friends or stop youfrom being theirs if you are a true friend. I don't drink and party and i still have friends that do so. choosing not to hasn't been a huge sacrifice for me. If youre dedicated to yourself and your sport and your team, you can make that sacrifice and not engage in that type of activity. Its as simple as being able to "say no" and be "above the influence". Being able to be your own person and not be influenced by outside sources is part of "growing up" and becoming an adult.
Last edited by riders on Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby luvmy3gbb1wr » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:01 pm

absolutely right
luvmy3gbb1wr
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby riders » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:30 pm

i do however believe that being suspended for an infraction that didn't happen is a seroius problem. if they are at a party and not drinking, but pictures are taken, there should have to be other proof that they were drinking than a simple random photo.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:13 pm

baseball wrote:so you would rather a kid say no i wont go...i hope you dont die on your way home. or would u rather your kid say sure ill come with you to make sure u get home safe. you've said when you grow up in all your posts. your not giving them a chance at a childhood if your making them grow up right away.

I would rather have them say "Come over to my house and we'll hang out" instead of letting them go to the party.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:19 pm

Hinsa wrote:
baseball wrote:so you would rather a kid say no i wont go...i hope you dont die on your way home. or would u rather your kid say sure ill come with you to make sure u get home safe. you've said when you grow up in all your posts. your not giving them a chance at a childhood if your making them grow up right away.

I would rather have them say "Come over to my house and we'll hang out" instead of letting them go to the party.

This is not as effective as one might think. People are more inclined to go to a party than to play XBox for example. Even if they don't drink, a person is much more likely to hang out with 30 of their friends than one or two.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:17 am

balla45 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

This is not as effective as one might think. People are more inclined to go to a party than to play XBox for example. Even if they don't drink, a person is much more likely to hang out with 30 of their friends than one or two.

I understand what you are saying Balla45. But if a person is truly going to take a stand and say that partying is not for me and not to be supported, then that stand has to start somewhere. Two people go hang out together to support each other away from the party, and the next time they invite a couple more to hang out, and then a couple more, and pretty soon you have a non-party group hanging out at each other's houses in a safe, chemical free environment.

To me the question is: does a person want to go with the flow, or take a stand for what you believe in?

I'll be the first to admit that when I was young I very often did not have the courage to stay away from the parties. That is why I have the greatest admiration and utmost respect for young people who do make the commitment to stay chemical free.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:26 am

Hinsa wrote:
balla45 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

I understand what you are saying Balla45. But if a person is truly going to take a stand and say that partying is not for me and not to be supported, then that stand has to start somewhere. Two people go hang out together to support each other away from the party, and the next time they invite a couple more to hang out, and then a couple more, and pretty soon you have a non-party group hanging out at each other's houses in a safe, chemical free environment.

To me the question is: does a person want to go with the flow, or take a stand for what you believe in?

I'll be the first to admit that when I was young I very often did not have the courage to stay away from the parties. That is why I have the greatest admiration and utmost respect for young people who do make the commitment to stay chemical free.

That sounds good in a disney channel world but you and I both know that stuff doesn't happen. When I was in high school there were kids that played sports that did drink and do that and kids that didn't. There was never a problem with everyone hanging out on weekends and the "peer pressure" factor was non-existant. If someone wasn't into the party scene they would just hang out and be fine. This isn't the same in every town but I know for us it was never an issue.
That's a lovely fur you're wearing. Perhaps I could find you some slippers made from the skins of innocent and defenseless baby seals!
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NorthDakota11 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:49 pm

north_border_eagles2106 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:
balla45 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

That sounds good in a disney channel world but you and I both know that stuff doesn't happen. When I was in high school there were kids that played sports that did drink and do that and kids that didn't. There was never a problem with everyone hanging out on weekends and the "peer pressure" factor was non-existant. If someone wasn't into the party scene they would just hang out and be fine. This isn't the same in every town but I know for us it was never an issue.

This isn't the Disney Channel and things like that DO happen... We did it all the time while in high school... and I'm only 6 almost 7 years out... don't tell me small town North Dakota has become even that more relient on drinking to have a good time then they were six years ago... and was it tough to stand up and say I wasn't going to do it? oh yeah, it sucked... and I was an athlete and we had very successful teams and you know what.... by my senior year the few of us that didn't drink actually convinced the guys that did like to tip back grandpa's cough medicine to at least take the football season off so we could be successful in what we wanted to accomplish...

I liked what was said about having courage to stand up for your principles... and yes the peer pressure thing does happen... if you were a high school drinker you're telling me that that first drink wasn't because you wanted to fit in with the crowd and do "what all the cool kids were doing"?
"Why did you go for two?"

"Because I couldn't go for three..." - Woody Hayes
NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:43 pm

I wouldnt say it all changed...but id be willing to guess there are significant difference between now and 6-7 eyars ago.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby north_border_eagles2106 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:57 am

I'm not going to try to convince people I was perfect in HS but I could control what I wanted to do. I clearly said I was just giving examples of MY hometown. If someone didn't want to drink like the rest of the crowd it wasn't an issue. That's all I'm saying. None of us that were ones that got playing time drank during the season. That doesn't even matter now since most schools now are adopting the rule to penalize kids for getting drinking violations in the summer. If someone got a minor in June they would be out for 6 weeks from the day of their first extra curricular activity that following school year. This subject is too touchy, I'm done with it.
north_border_eagles2106
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby wanttobuyaturkey » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:01 am

I lack the mental intelligence to post on this site, and thus, I have been banned.
wanttobuyaturkey
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:29 am

Wantto, IMO you need to clean up your talk on here. I don't think this issue needs to be talked about any where on this site. Correct me if I'm wrong Mods...
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:57 am

first thought that comes to mind...bye-bye
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:17 pm

You were not wrong. Turkey was banned.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hunterlaf » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:01 pm

dont do the crime if you cant do the time :)
Hunterlaf
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby riders » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:16 am

baller01 wrote:Something I find funny... Michael Phelps. The guy has a picture of him takin while holding a "bong" to his mouth. He doesn't get changed. Why not? Because according to authorities, holding a bong to your mouth doesn't imply that you are smoking weed. But yet, a beer can in the backround implies that that person is drinking and should be suspended. I know I'm comparing a highly famous athlete to high school students, but I just thought it was a funny situation.

Michael Phelps may not have been punished by any "real" authority, however, he lost many of his endorsements. HE ADMITTED TO SMOKING THE BONG! ya, i think that would qualify as grounds for a drug charge. To be completely honest, i don't think that any athlete should be held to a different standard than any other, pro or amateur/high school. If an athlete is going to take the risk of being part of a party in which there is drinking, even though that individual is not drinking but is portrayed as such by photographs, that same individual should be prepared to assume the consequences associated with taking the risk of being at said party. athletes and drinking dont mix, no ifs ands or buts. if the athlete has any sense at all, the moment they see/hear that alcohol are at a party which they are attending, they should have the sense to leave, as to avoid confusion by pictures containing alcoholic beverages implying that they are drinking.
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby booyah » Wed May 13, 2009 9:59 am

balla45 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

actually....when i was in school that is exactly what we did. we would go to someones house and hook up 3 or 4 xboxes and would just play halo or call of duty all night. it was pretty nerdy but hey....it kept us away from the drinking and partying during sports.
booyah
NDPreps Starter

Postby baller030 » Wed May 13, 2009 6:32 pm

booyah wrote:
balla45 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

actually....when i was in school that is exactly what we did. we would go to someones house and hook up 3 or 4 xboxes and would just play halo or call of duty all night. it was pretty nerdy but hey....it kept us away from the drinking and partying during sports.

did u do that outside of sports too?
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

-- Michael Jordan--
baller030
NDPreps Starter

Postby booyah » Fri May 15, 2009 9:49 am

baller030 wrote:
booyah wrote:
balla45 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

did u do that outside of sports too?

not to the same extent. during sports we would have almost the entire team over. outside of sports we usually only did it if a few of the guys were hangin out and we were bored.
booyah
NDPreps Starter

Postby Achilles » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:46 pm

All I have to say on the subject is who would be a big enough idiot to put that stuff online where everybody can see it? Probably one of the dumber things I've ever heard of.
Achilles
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bigboyd » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:23 am

Honestly i dont know why everybody makes such a big deal about partying in high school im 45 years old now but when i was in high school me and my buddies would go out and get boozed up every weekend and party and i was still an all state football player. We used to alway make fun of the kids that sat at home and played there nintendos to during the weekends the point of high school is to go out and enjoy your teenage years and be social. The picture thing i can see as a problem but if a kid wants to go out and booze alittle bit id say go for it!!!!!
bigboyd
NDPreps Reserve

PreviousNext

Return to Hot Topics