2008-2009 USHSHO USA Rankings

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2008-2009 USHSHO USA Rankings

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:06 am

http://www.ushsho.com/ushsrank.htm
I don't know exactly how these numbers are figured, and as the website mentions they are somewhat construed since interstate and cross-class meetings are pretty rare. The rankings are completely mathematically formulated.

These are the final rankings for the year (2009). For some reason they weren't completely updated throughout the chart but I fixed them by going to the ND stats page. For the ND teams here's the gist:

ND teams ranked top 100 in the USA

___Team_______________Rank USA (Last 5)___ Total (Last 5)
Fargo South, ND____________21 (15)_________ 12.41(12.58)
Grand Forks Central, ND_____33 (T45)________ 11.87 (11.59)
Bismarck High, ND__________59 (26)_________ 11.29 (12.00)
Grand Forks Red River, ND___67 (T60)________ 11.04 (11.22)

ND Opponents (Results) in the top 100:
4 - Bloomington Jefferson (6-0 over GPR, 8-0 over GFC, 4-1 over GFRR)
5 - Blaine (3-0 over GPR, 3-1 over GFC, 6-3 over GFRR)
12 - Warroad (3-1 over GPR, 6-5 over GFC)
18 - Moorhead (2-2 tie with FS)
44 - White Bear Lake (3-4 loss to FS)
48 - Roseau (3-6 loss to GPR, 3-2 win over GFC, 2-3 loss to GFRR)
71 - Osseo (5-2 over GPR)
77 - Apple Valley (1-5 loss to FS)

Last official thread of the 2009 season. Congrats to all teams on a great season and looking forward to the 2009-2010 season and a new decade of HS hockey!

<2009-2010 USHSHO USA Rankings Thread>
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Re: 2008-2009 USHSHO USA Rankings

Postby Go Sioux » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:21 am

Red River should easily be in front of all the other North Dakota teams because they won State. They proved they were the best team in the state.
Go Sioux
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:35 pm

Go Sioux wrote:Red River should easily be in front of all the other North Dakota teams because they won State. They proved they were the best team in the state.

Honestly, I know you're from Red River but these are completely mathematically formulated. Red River took 3rd in EDC Regular Season, 3rd in the EDC tournament (barely escaping WF), lost to EGF and lost to Central in a blowout in EDC. Simply because they won two games they shouldn't have doesn't make them the best. Ask Moorhead, they beat Edina, a team that was CLEARLY better than them in every department, they just didn't come to play. Notice how Edina is still ranked 1st in the nation even though they lost to Moorhead at state. (See: Best doesn't always win) I don't agree with the rankings, I thought Bismarck was a better team than Central, but you don't see me complaining.

Your trolling is getting annoying.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Go Sioux » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:36 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
Go Sioux wrote:Red River should easily be in front of all the other North Dakota teams because they won State. They proved they were the best team in the state.

Honestly, I know you're from Red River but these are completely mathematically formulated. Red River took 3rd in EDC Regular Season, 3rd in the EDC tournament (barely escaping WF), lost to EGF and lost to Central in a blowout in EDC. Simply because they won two games they shouldn't have doesn't make them the best. Ask Moorhead, they beat Edina, a team that was CLEARLY better than them in every department, they just didn't come to play. Notice how Edina is still ranked 1st in the nation even though they lost to Moorhead at state. (See: Best doesn't always win) I don't agree with the rankings, I thought Bismarck was a better team than Central, but you don't see me complaining.

Ok first of all I'm not from Red River i go to Fargo South. I just happen to have certain issues with some of the players on the team in the years past so I'm not a big fan of our program. And second of all, Red River is the best because they took the best place in the best tournament, First. That makes them the best team in the State. I'm not saying they are better than some teams in MN but they were better than the rest of the competition in the state of ND
Go Sioux
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:31 am

Go Sioux wrote:Ok first of all I'm not from Red River i go to Fargo South.

So do you go to Grand Forks to post every day or do you come down and stay in a hotel for the school week? Your internet provider is from GF.

Even if you did/do go to South, that doesn't change the fact. Even in the games they won they were out shot by a strenuous amount and the play was controlled by the opposing team (Good competition obviously). The record, the stats and the experience of the South, Bismarck and Central teams all overshadow RR when they're juxtaposed, and it's reflected in the rankings. Personal opinion isn't.

If you do go to South, and have this attitude toward your athletics, I'm pretty much ashamed. Maybe that's why they haven't won a title yet this year. I don't care if you like players on a team or not, your school should always go first. Kids these days... I'll be pulling for a set of West Fargo upsets at state next year.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby stillgotyourback » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:08 am

You know Go Sioux's internet provider? Creep!!!

Juxtaposed, huh. Did you have to go to dictionary.com for that one?
stillgotyourback

Postby Saucesauer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:35 am

HockeyHigh wrote:

So do you go to Grand Forks to post every day or do you come down and stay in a hotel for the school week? Your internet provider is from GF.

BOOOOOOM :lol:
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Go Sioux » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:39 pm

Saucesauer wrote:
HockeyHigh wrote:

BOOOOOOM :lol:

yes i do actually thats exactly what I do. Sooo in your face
Go Sioux
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:01 pm

stillgotyourback wrote:You know Go Sioux's internet provider? Creep!!!

Juxtaposed, huh. Did you have to go to dictionary.com for that one?

Yawn.

I'm a moderator, see the red name? If someone gives me a location and I figure they're from somewhere else, I check. Looks like I was right about him lying.

Also, if you don't know the meaning of juxtapose, juxtaposed, juxtaposition, etc... then you should probably finish up your English credits in high school.

And I fixed your post Saucersauer/Go Sioux, the format was messed up for some reason.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby stillgotyourback » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:01 pm

o im sorry great moderator. don't use your almighty moderating skills to smite me with your all-powerful red name. but enough arguing about stupid childish hes from grand forks, shes from grand forks. the topic is on the rankings. im not all familiar with minnesota teams but i did see edina play on fsn and they looked like the number one team in the nation. their top line dominated in the game i saw and their defense was stellar. as for north dakota teams i think the rankings were ok. i personally would have put both red river and bismarck in front of roseau. roseau didnt impress me and red river did beat them the one time they played each other. these are mathematically formulated so nothing can go wrong, i mean look at the bcs in college football.
stillgotyourback

Postby Saucesauer » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:32 am

stillgotyourback wrote:o im sorry great moderator. don't use your almighty moderating skills to smite me with your all-powerful red name. but enough arguing about stupid childish hes from grand forks, shes from grand forks. the topic is on the rankings. im not all familiar with minnesota teams but i did see edina play on fsn and they looked like the number one team in the nation. their top line dominated in the game i saw and their defense was stellar. as for north dakota teams i think the rankings were ok. i personally would have put both red river and bismarck in front of roseau. roseau didnt impress me and red river did beat them the one time they played each other. these are mathematically formulated so nothing can go wrong, i mean look at the bcs in college football.

I like the fact that Whapeton WAS NOT the worst team on there heck they were like 8-10 above the last one!!!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun May 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Saucesauer wrote:I like the fact that Whapeton WAS NOT the worst team on there heck they were like 8-10 above the last one!!!

Actually they were 1399 of 1525 teams in the nation. That's 126 teams behind them, with the lowest being Roxbury, MA. When put in that context it seems reasonable. :)

Then you realize South is 1450+ slots higher than them, and Central/RR/Bismarck aren't far behind. Although Minnesota outnumbers ND for sure, it can be impressive what our teams can accomplish.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby goteam11 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:45 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
Saucesauer wrote:I like the fact that Whapeton WAS NOT the worst team on there heck they were like 8-10 above the last one!!!

Actually they were 1399 of 1525 teams in the nation. That's 126 teams behind them, with the lowest being Roxbury, MA. When put in that context it seems reasonable. :)

Then you realize South is 1450+ slots higher than them, and Central/RR/Bismarck aren't far behind. Although Minnesota outnumbers ND for sure, it can be impressive what our teams can accomplish.

how can south be 1450+ higher than them if they are ranked 1399?
goteam11
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:51 pm

goteam11 wrote:
HockeyHigh wrote:

how can south be 1450+ higher than them if they are ranked 1399?

Simple mistype, it's supposed to be 1350.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:04 am

Go Sioux wrote:
HockeyHigh wrote:

Ok first of all I'm not from Red River i go to Fargo South. I just happen to have certain issues with some of the players on the team in the years past so I'm not a big fan of our program. And second of all, Red River is the best because they took the best place in the best tournament, First. That makes them the best team in the State. I'm not saying they are better than some teams in MN but they were better than the rest of the competition in the state of ND

hey so if Wahpeton would have won state (by a fluke) then you would want them to be at the top of the ND rankings?!?!?
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:03 am

By his reasoning, yes. Either way, the ratings are mathematically composed. It's simply based on a teams wins/losses against who and who those wins/losses were against, and who they've won and lost against. These rankings have nothing to do with when or how they lost.

For example, South pretty much dominated the state throughout the regular season. However, they lost to Bismarck. Bismarck gained a significant amount of points because they hadn't lost a game, and they'd also beaten a team that had significant ranking points already. Even after Bismarck beat Central, their loss to Red River (because Red River was ranked significantly lower), their rating dropped below Central's because their mathematical average was lower.

Pretty much, it's about as 'unbiased' as you can get. It has no bias towards when or how a game took place, hence why Edina was still ranked #1 even after a devastating loss to Moorhead at state.

However, how you look at rankings is completely up to you. I personally trust this ranking system and feel it's pretty much as fair as you're going to get. I also disagree with the fact that if a team wins three games, you instantly qualify them as 'the best team in the state'. That's like saying Moorhead was the second best team in the nation and EP was the best, neither is true.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby theman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:07 am

HockeyHigh wrote:

Even if you did/do go to South, that doesn't change the fact. Even in the games they won they were out shot by a strenuous amount and the play was controlled by the opposing team (Good competition obviously). The record, the stats and the experience of the South, Bismarck and Central teams all overshadow RR when they're juxtaposed, and it's reflected in the rankings. Personal opinion isn't.

If you do go to South, and have this attitude toward your athletics, I'm pretty much ashamed. Maybe that's why they haven't won a title yet this year. I don't care if you like players on a team or not, your school should always go first. Kids these days... I'll be pulling for a set of West Fargo upsets at state next year.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SNAP
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby theman » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:08 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Go Sioux wrote:
HockeyHigh wrote:

hey so if Wahpeton would have won state (by a fluke) then you would want them to be at the top of the ND rankings?!?!?

Exactly. No thought process. I believe RR should be closer to south, but i think south was better all year.
[url]northdakotarunner.blogspot.com[/url]
theman
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby fargohockey1093 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:59 pm

That doesn't matter that they won state. That was last year. Everything changes once a new year comes around. Also, like the guy said, they are mathematically done.
fargohockey1093
NDPreps Starter

Return to Hockey