How will the Dakota Starz do at Nationals?

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

How will the Dakota Starz do at Nationals?

Postby Westisthebest » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:14 pm

Will the Dakota Starz compete this year at the tier ii nationals? is there enough talent?
Westisthebest
NDPreps Reserve

Re: How will the Dakota Starz do at Nationals?

Postby central hockey fan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:38 pm

Westisthebest wrote:Will the Dakota Starz compete this year at the tier ii nationals? is there enough talent?

Here are the kids on the team that I remember:

Forwards:
Casey Purpur, John Simonson, Jordy Aamot, Justin Moody, Aaron Hatt, Brendon Gust, Jake McPhail, Casey Fugelburg, Peter Orson, Luke Johnson....Im sure I may have missed a couple here

Defense?
Jeremy O'Keefe, Derick Sand, Ross Kovacs (sp), Paul Ladue....again, I know I'm missing a couple.

Goalies:
Mitchell Burns, Brian Nies

They definitely have the talent but the question is can they play together effectively?
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby nothinghappend » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:37 pm

i see they have some state champions on their team. those kids already know how to win so im sure tier 2 nationals will be a breeze for them
nothinghappend

Postby central hockey fan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:38 pm

nothinghappend wrote:i see they have some state champions on their team. those kids already know how to win so im sure tier 2 nationals will be a breeze for them

So I'm gonna just guess here but are you by chance a RR fan?
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby nothinghappend » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:56 pm

no i actually live in dl so im not really a rr fan. im just saying that the rr team this year came from the shadows and found ways to win, like they did in state.
nothinghappend

Postby HockeyHigh » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:56 am

nothinghappend wrote:no i actually live in dl so im not really a rr fan. im just saying that the rr team this year came from the shadows and found ways to win, like they did in state.
Sorry about going off topic. I'll try not to take away from the kids but the way RR found a way to win was a goalie stopping everything and Crary finishing all the plays he could. One miracle shot got them past South. Someone has to win and obviously RR did but that is far from meaning RR had more talent as implied. South was the most talented team in ND this year just like Edina was this year in MN, Red River was last year, South was in 07 and Moorhead was in 05. Want to know the only other correlation between these teams? Not a single one won state. They still were the best teams, they just lost one game at the wrong time. Basically I'm saying there's more to teams than their final positioning at state. Anyways on topic I know the team will do fine but I doubt they have the talent to take first due to larger states talent pools.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby nothinghappend » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:26 pm

actaully south wasnt the best team in 07, rr was. they beat south both times they played that year 3-2 and 8-0. you should know that your kid played on the team then. rr might not have been the best team this year but they know how to win and those kids on the stars that played for rr helped a great deal.
nothinghappend

Postby nothinghappend » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:31 pm

ohh yeah they beat south in the most important game of the year too 3-1 to capture another state title
nothinghappend

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:02 am

nothinghappend wrote:actaully south wasnt the best team in 07, rr was. they beat south both times they played that year 3-2 and 8-0. you should know that your kid played on the team then. rr might not have been the best team this year but they know how to win and those kids on the stars that played for rr helped a great deal.

I don't know why that came out as 07 since I meant 05. South wasn't bad in 07 either. They won EDC and beat a very good WBL. They also played very well against one of the best Moorhead teams in history. They weren't the best but they were very good. In 05 South got beat in the last few minutes on a couple of shady goals in the ship. As for the personal reference, I'd like to let you know I don't have and never have had a kid that played ND hockey. As for knowing how to win, I really don't think that is true at all. If any teams knew how to win it was these teams players and none of them won when it counted. As for nationals all you can do is hope for the best and see how they compare.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby stillgotyourback » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:13 pm

HockeyHigh wrote: In 05 South got beat in the last few minutes on a couple of shady goals in the ship.

Actually in 05 RR beat Central 3-2 in the ship so i have no idea what your talking about.
stillgotyourback

Postby Saucesauer » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:55 pm

stillgotyourback wrote:
HockeyHigh wrote: In 05 South got beat in the last few minutes on a couple of shady goals in the ship.

Actually in 05 RR beat Central 3-2 in the ship so i have no idea what your talking about.

That was also the year Marto from GFC went coast to coast to beat GPR??? I think not sure about what team it was but it was a amazing play!!
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby HockeyHigh » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:25 pm

stillgotyourback wrote:

Gah, that's what I get for not looking up my facts. It was in reference to 2004 where South got beat 3-2 in the last few minutes, not 2005. 2005 South got steamrolled by RR in the semis 4-0 going into the third and a 4-2 final.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby central hockey fan » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:25 am

OK back on topic, the Starz just went to the cities and tied Shattuck 3-3 and beat 2 other teams soundly. From what I understand (wasn't there) teams like Shattuck are Elite 1 due to the population of the area they draw from. No idea how this will translate to nationals but it seems to be good news.
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby toews19 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:49 pm

HockeyHigh, what is considered a "nice" goal in your book? going coast to coast with a nice back door pass for a tap in? or is every goal scored against fargo south a garbage goal? your not gonna have "nice" goals in the state tournament. your gonna have rebounds, tip ins, "garbage" goals. its those second and third efforts that count in the state tournament. they may not be the prettiest goals, but they could be huge.
toews19
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:48 pm

toews19 wrote:HockeyHigh, what is considered a "nice" goal in your book? going coast to coast with a nice back door pass for a tap in? or is every goal scored against fargo south a garbage goal? your not gonna have "nice" goals in the state tournament. your gonna have rebounds, tip ins, "garbage" goals. its those second and third efforts that count in the state tournament. they may not be the prettiest goals, but they could be huge.

Hardly, I consider 'garbage' goals being those that shouldn't have gone in normally. With all due respect, both of RR's goals were garbage. Even a tipped shot from the point like that should easily be stopped, and the first goal was shot straight into South's tender. Garbage goals decide games though, and RR got them.
Also, the state tournament gets tons of nice goals. For example, look at Bryce Schmitt's goals this against RR, Narveson's goal against RR, Demer's pretty goals last year (all of them), and look at Minnesota, a lot of those goals are very pretty. However, the 'prettiness' of a goal doesn't matter so who cares. The teams playing don't matter to me on whether it's a garbage goal. RR and Bismarck both got their share in the finals, UND got scored on 3 or 4 garbage goals in the WCHA this weekend, and even the Stanley cup games have plenty of garbage goals. They happen, and just because they happened against South or any Fargo team for that matter doesn't change my opinion on it.

Also, neither of those goals had second or third efforts, both went in off the initial shot (if I remember correctly) even if tipped.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby slapshot » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:55 pm

The Starz are currently ranked 2nd in the Teir 2. (myhockeyrankings.com) I doubt if Shaddock St. Mary's will wanna play the Dakota Starz anymore. They ended up with a 3 - 3 tie last weekend. Shaddock did not want to play overtime, the starz dominated most of the game. Shaddock's goalie came up big for them in the last 5 min. of the game. I don't think the puck left their end of the ice during that time. They did not want to get beat going into nationals by a tier 2 team! Congrats to the Dakota starz - should have no problem winning nationals in St. Louis
slapshot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby central hockey fan » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:08 pm

slapshot wrote:The Starz are currently ranked 2nd in the Teir 2. (myhockeyrankings.com) I doubt if Shaddock St. Mary's will wanna play the Dakota Starz anymore. They ended up with a 3 - 3 tie last weekend. Shaddock did not want to play overtime, the starz dominated most of the game. Shaddock's goalie came up big for them in the last 5 min. of the game. I don't think the puck left their end of the ice during that time. They did not want to get beat going into nationals by a tier 2 team! Congrats to the Dakota starz - should have no problem winning nationals in St. Louis

I'm assuming you were there?? How'd the boys look in the other games?
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby nothinghappend » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:32 pm

stop deleting my posts.
nothinghappend

Postby NDSportsFan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:53 pm

problem solved
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby stillgotyourback » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:03 pm

i agree. stop deleting nothinghappened's post. they're hilarious.
stillgotyourback

Postby Baller » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:05 pm

stillgotyourback wrote:i agree. stop deleting nothinghappened's post. they're hilarious.

Nothinghappened will no longer be posting
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby slapshot » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:25 am

The boys beat the Seattle AAA Admirals 4-0 and again 5-1. The new rankings just came out today and the Dakota Starz are ranked #1 in the nation.
slapshot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gfhockey » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:12 pm

where are these rankings at?
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby central hockey fan » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:52 pm

gfhockey wrote:where are these rankings at?

myhockeyrankings.com
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby gfhockeyrules » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:52 am

The Dakota Starz should be one of the favorites at Nationals, but they will not win it if some of the so-called All-State players do not show up to play! Maybe they learned their lesson at the State Tournament.
gfhockeyrules
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Hockey