Four Winds Basketball

The Buzz on Class B.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Four Winds Basketball

Postby BasketballFather » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:02 pm

Can anyone tell me why Four Winds had to forfeit their game against St John in the Region 4 first round? It didn't show up until the Friday Bismarck Tribune>
BasketballFather
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Four Winds Basketball

Postby baseball » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:04 pm

I give it 6 posts before its locked.....story is they broke rules. All i will say.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:55 pm

A player on there team unknowingly played although he was considered ineligible by NDHSAA rules.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sekasum » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:17 pm

Not the coach or player's fault but an administrator shoid be blamed for this incompetence.
sekasum
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:39 pm

sekasum wrote:Not the coach or player's fault but an administrator shoid be blamed for this incompetence.

I'll agree there...95% blame on the administrator, 5% on the coach!
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:22 pm

I find it hard to blame the coach in any way. I don't think it is the job of the coach to run "backround checks" on the people that show up to practice. You see if the forms are signed and they have a physical, I think the rest of the responsibility lies with the administration.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:42 pm

balla45 wrote:I find it hard to blame the coach in any way. I don't think it is the job of the coach to run "backround checks" on the people that show up to practice. You see if the forms are signed and they have a physical, I think the rest of the responsibility lies with the administration.

Good point...a coach can check in on grades, but if the administration doesnt tell them what can they do.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby senditin » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:56 pm

baseball wrote:
balla45 wrote:I find it hard to blame the coach in any way. I don't think it is the job of the coach to run "backround checks" on the people that show up to practice. You see if the forms are signed and they have a physical, I think the rest of the responsibility lies with the administration.

Good point...a coach can check in on grades, but if the administration doesnt tell them what can they do.

Thats exactly what happened here. When ollie first came to FW a transcript was sent and everything was Ok. At some later time another transcript was sent by fax or mail that showed he had an extra freshman year. Who ever handled this transcript just put it in his file not knowing the implications. When FW stuff SJ in the regional then some parents at SJ wrote a letter to Valley City and when his file was checked again there was the evidence. No ones fault there was just no protocol for this. By the way I understand the spirit of the rule but there should be an appeals process for a cases like this. Let me just say that Ollie's home life was not as good as yours or mine which lead to his extra years of 9th grade. He or his family wasn't trying to bend the rules in his favor. He had his act together at FW, was doin good in school and was on track to graduate. Unfortuneatly, he dropped out of school after this incident. That is the real tragic thing about this whole mess. Hope those parents, coaches and adminstrators at SJ are happy!
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:23 am

senditin wrote:
baseball wrote:

Thats exactly what happened here. When ollie first came to FW a transcript was sent and everything was Ok. At some later time another transcript was sent by fax or mail that showed he had an extra freshman year. Who ever handled this transcript just put it in his file not knowing the implications. When FW stuff SJ in the regional then some parents at SJ wrote a letter to Valley City and when his file was checked again there was the evidence. No ones fault there was just no protocol for this. By the way I understand the spirit of the rule but there should be an appeals process for a cases like this. Let me just say that Ollie's home life was not as good as yours or mine which lead to his extra years of 9th grade. He or his family wasn't trying to bend the rules in his favor. He had his act together at FW, was doin good in school and was on track to graduate. Unfortuneatly, he dropped out of school after this incident. That is the real tragic thing about this whole mess. Hope those parents, coaches and adminstrators at SJ are happy!

You cannot blame the parents, coaches, and administrators at St. John for Ollie's choice to drop out of school. It was Ollie's choice and his choice alone.

It's this kind of apologetic thought that helps enable kids to not take responsibility for their own actions. Johnny wouldn't have done this if this hadn't happened. Johnny wouldn't have done that if that hadn't happened. Horse manure! Stand up and take responsibility for what you do.

Ollie, get back in school and get your education. Or go get your GED. And Senditin, if you know Ollie, get behind him and push him to get his education. Education is the road to options. Without it, you have very few options in life.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby senditin » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:04 am

Hinsa wrote:
senditin wrote:
baseball wrote:

You cannot blame the parents, coaches, and administrators at St. John for Ollie's choice to drop out of school. It was Ollie's choice and his choice alone.

It's this kind of apologetic thought that helps enable kids to not take responsibility for their own actions. Johnny wouldn't have done this if this hadn't happened. Johnny wouldn't have done that if that hadn't happened. Horse manure! Stand up and take responsibility for what you do.

Ollie, get back in school and get your education. Or go get your GED. And Senditin, if you know Ollie, get behind him and push him to get his education. Education is the road to options. Without it, you have very few options in life.

Well, you know what, in a perfect world that would happen. Unfortuneately, we don't live in one. Unless you have walked in Ollie's shoes then you don't have a right to criticize him while sitting in your 2 car garage house surrounded by flowers in a perfect little middle class neighborhood. As for the SJ people, they didn't have a problem with Ollie/FW when they beat us in DL during class B day in Feb. Only when they got their a$$ handed to them in the region did they take action.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:41 am

There is more to life than basketball.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:38 pm

senditin......if he dropped out of school because he couldnt play basketball anymore, why do you think he wouldve stayed enrolled after the season ended? I don't know about Ollie's personal life, and this isnt the place to find out about it either, but you cant use that as an excuse for him dropping out of school because of a legality. I'm not saying he had to go to college, but even graduating high school opens that many more doors for you then dropping out. if he was on pace to graduate would it really have been that bad to finish out them last 2-2.5 months? he already invested 13 years of his life, 14 i guess since he had an extra freshman year, in school so why not just finish that.

to add to the fact that you cant use the rough personal life as an excuse, my classmate/neighbor/and one of my best friends graduated, was an all-region athlete in 2 different sports and lived the majority of his high shcool years alone. one parents worked over 2 hours away and lived where they worked. his sister had 2 sons and moved out of the house when she was 19...so from the age of 16 he was on his own. and before that it was just him and his sister for a few years. he easily couldve never showed up to school and/or dropped out but he got up every day and went to school. went to college for a year on a baseball scholarship and now works full-time as a contractor...so dont use the rough childhood excuse for a reason to not finish school. esspecially when its that clsoe to being over?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:27 am

SendItIn - read my post carefully. There is no criticism of Ollie. I said he has to take responsibility for his own actions - it was his choice to drop out.

I say again to you: instead of attacking my 2 car garage and flowers and middle class neighborhood, get behind Ollie and push him to get his education so he has a chance to have his own garage and flowers some day. Without it, he has very little chance.

Baseball - great story about your friend. I too know of a young man whose parents basically abandoned him so he lived in a basement bedroom, worked full time while going to high school to pay some rent, graduated on time, kept his grades up to get a little bit of academic scholarship money, and is still working full time to be able to go to fulfill his dream of going to college. He is determined to make a good life for himself.

These stories are not to criticize Ollie, but to give him hope of what you can overcome if you put your mind to it.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:43 am

Excellent posts baseball and Hinsa. One more thing to add. I have had an opportunity to watch Olliver play basketball and have also heard wonderful things about him in cross country. I am fairly positive that if he finishes high school, he would get a scholarship for one of these sports in college. Not everybody has that chance. Just another reason for him to get back in there.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:09 pm

Also throwing this out. I don't know Ollie's situation, but you make it seem as though he does not come from a wealthy family. A LOT of North Dakota schools will give HUGE, I'm talking 50%-100%, tuition wavers to minorities (assuming he is because he is from Four Winds), not sure though. Then scholarships are given out based on financial need. And with his ability to play basketball, I bet he could get a full scholarship to at least 2 or 3 North Dakota schools.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby senditin » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:26 pm

baseball wrote:senditin......if he dropped out of school because he couldnt play basketball anymore, why do you think he wouldve stayed enrolled after the season ended? I don't know about Ollie's personal life, and this isnt the place to find out about it either, but you cant use that as an excuse for him dropping out of school because of a legality. I'm not saying he had to go to college, but even graduating high school opens that many more doors for you then dropping out. if he was on pace to graduate would it really have been that bad to finish out them last 2-2.5 months? he already invested 13 years of his life, 14 i guess since he had an extra freshman year, in school so why not just finish that.

to add to the fact that you cant use the rough personal life as an excuse, my classmate/neighbor/and one of my best friends graduated, was an all-region athlete in 2 different sports and lived the majority of his high shcool years alone. one parents worked over 2 hours away and lived where they worked. his sister had 2 sons and moved out of the house when she was 19...so from the age of 16 he was on his own. and before that it was just him and his sister for a few years. he easily couldve never showed up to school and/or dropped out but he got up every day and went to school. went to college for a year on a baseball scholarship and now works full-time as a contractor...so dont use the rough childhood excuse for a reason to not finish school. esspecially when its that clsoe to being over?

Wow thats a great story about your friend. I know some people who were pretty much the same boat if not worse but still graduated and are successful. But I also know alot more who come from bad homes who don't graduate and succeed. It's just a fact of life. If it were as easy and giving someone a pat on the back and encouraging them and they would succeed then we would have a 0% drop out rate. Doesn't work that way, there are forces at work that you or I will never understand. Lets just leave it at that.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Basketball - Class B