Week 14 - North Dakota State Tournament 2008-2009

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Week 14 - North Dakota State Tournament 2008-2009

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:26 pm

The final week of North Dakota High School Hockey for the 2008-2009 season! This is it, the weekend these kids have been waiting all year for. Here's the schedule for this weekend, all QF games at the Ralph Engelstad:

Known Live Feeds:

http://www.areavoices.com/fee/
http://www.grandforksherald.com/

Thursday, Feb. 26th (Quarterfinals): (All Quarterfinal games in the Ralph Engelstad Arena)

[#1W] Bismarck - 1 vs [#4E] Grafton-PR - 0
[#2E] Central - 5 vs [#3W] Williston - 2
[#1E] South - 6 vs [#4W] Century - 0
[#3E] Red River - 6 vs [#2W] Minot - 2

Semifinals:
Consolation Bracket:

[#4E] Grafton-PR - 4 vs [#3W] Williston - 1
[#4W] Century - 3 vs [#2W] Minot - 4

Championship Bracket:
[#1W] Bismarck - 4 vs [#2E] Central - 1
[#1E] South - 1 vs [#3E] Red River - 2(OT)

Finals:

[#1W] Bismarck - 2 vs [#3E] Red River - 3 (Championship)
[#1E] South - 2 vs [#2E] Central - 3 (3rd Place)
[#4E] Grafton-PR - 5 vs [#2W] Minot - 1 (5th Place)

Congratulations to the 2008-2009 Grand Forks Roughriders on a State Championship.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Re: Week 14 - North Dakota State Tournament 2008-2009

Postby gfhockey » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:06 pm

I was waiting for you to post this haha.

Here are my picks

Bismarck beats GPR
GFC dismantles Willison

FS wins a close one with bis century
GFRR beats minot in OT

GFC takes care of bismarck
GFRR and FS go to overtime and GFRR gets a garbage goal by crary to win

GFC vs GFRR in the title game and I like GFC here if GFRR sits in the sin bin but if GFRR gets 3 or lesspenaltys GFRR wins

LOL yes i no i have my grand forks glasses on but thats just my opinion.

upset pick... GPR over bismarck or WIllison over GFC
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Shanny69 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:15 pm

I think williston may be able to beat GFC if they play to there abilities, and there goalie doesnt have another bad night like the minot game at WDA. they have the scoreing talent. i gess we will just see what happends on Thursday.
Shanny69
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Saucesauer » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:07 pm

Shanny69 wrote:I think williston may be able to beat GFC if they play to there abilities, and there goalie doesnt have another bad night like the minot game at WDA. they have the scoreing talent. i gess we will just see what happends on Thursday.

I really really want Willy to win here, but I think they might have a better chance if they play their backup goalie, Their starter had a 80% save statistic and a 5.88 GAA not good for tourny time. GO WEST though
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby SportsDoc » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:53 pm

Saucesauer wrote:
Shanny69 wrote:I think williston may be able to beat GFC if they play to there abilities, and there goalie doesnt have another bad night like the minot game at WDA. they have the scoreing talent. i gess we will just see what happends on Thursday.

I really really want Willy to win here, but I think they might have a better chance if they play their backup goalie, Their starter had a 80% save statistic and a 5.88 GAA not good for tourny time. GO WEST though

That would be tough. They have no backup goalie. Started the year with three for V/JV. One quit and one got suspended. There is no plan "B". They only dressed one for WDA.

Having said that, Evanson is usually solid. He's mentally tough enough to get over the bad game, and I would be surprised if he wasn't solid this weekend. May not be enough for Williston to win, but he will be OK. He played his best two games against the best two teams, and that is still Bismarck's only loss. He was at .921% during regular season. Most important is for their forwards to relax and let the game come to them. They have forced things lately and have tried to do too much as individuals. When they play as a team, they are pretty solid up front.

I like BHS a lot. They are deep up front and very solid on the blue line. If Dvorak plays well, they are a contender. But between the pipes can become their Achilles's heel. If they get decent goaltending, they will play Saturday night.

Minot has some high end players, but I'm not sure enough of them. But Medler was awesome at WDA, and a hot goalie can steal you games.

Century, I haven't seen enough to evaluate, but they don't seem like they have a "stud" to carry them in a close game.

I know very little about the East, but they win about 90%+ of first round games, so it's an uphill battle for the West again. It would be a good start for BHS to win the opening game and get the monkey off the West's collective backs. Anything more than that for the West would be gravy.
SportsDoc
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:18 pm

I'll do the state tournament predictions early like the EDC. It's a little bit more difficult with the WDA mixed in and I don't know much about the WDA. But here's my picks:

Grafton-PR vs Bismarck High
I'll pick BHS simply because GPR pulled it far too close with North, and I know for sure BHS is better than North. GPR's defense and goaltending is going to be their problem. They need a lot of action out of their first line if they want to pull the win over BHS, and that may mean 4-5 goals. This'll potentially be the game of the day, the one you want to see.

Central vs Williston
I don't see this one happening for Williston. Central has a balanced team whereas Williston relies on a single line for their scoring. Seth Lang and GFC's D may have their hands full with this line, but it's free sailing beyond that. Look to see several goals from GFC's 2nd/3rd line to win this one.

----

South vs Century
South is probably the most dangerous team to play right now. However, when they take a game lightly you can definitely tell. If they play like they did against Shanley this could be scary for South, but if they play like they did against GPR it could be a ten goal game or more. I don't know much about Century, but their goaltending doesn't look very reassuring for them, and South may eat that all up.

Red River vs Minot
Neither team has specifically strong goaltending as far as I know. If Minot's Schmitt can get 5 goals again they might stand a chance, but I don't see it happening. RR's first line will score several goals and you'll likely see Minot get a few, but RR will come out on top. RR's achilles, as with GPR, is their defense, and Minot will need to try to force the play on their defense if they want to stand a chance.

-------
I won't right a summary for the following games since the QF's haven't been played yet, but here's the predictions:
-------

GFC vs BHS
FS vs GFRR

-------
FS vs GFC
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby squeak63 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:29 pm

i like BHS. they have a good chance... they just need to play their game becuase when they are on you can't stop them. THey have a solid d core and forwards that are big and physical. their tending isn't so hot but when devorac is playing like he did in WDA tourney i like the odds. BHS beating GRafton 4-1, GFC 4-2 and depending on other games it will be a close one in the SHIP...good luck west and go demons.
Academics Athletics Excellence
lost count of how many state championships
squeak63
NDPreps All-State

Postby central hockey fan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:46 pm

Wow, I can't believe HH predicted South will win state :)

All kidding aside, I see it as theirs to lose at this point. I think Bismarck will beat GPR. Seems from what I have read that Bismarck is a bit deeper than GPR. I wonder if Minot can trip up RR but that first line of RR is just very difficult to stop. Other than that, I think it will be quite predictable. But I see GFC beating South for the championship!
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Eleven » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:33 pm

Opening Round
Bismarck vs Grafton/PR - Bismarck 5-3
GF Central vs Williston - GF Central 5-4
Fargo South vs Century - Fargo South 6-1
Minot vs GF Red Riever - GF Red River 4-2

Consolation Round
Williston vs Grafton/PR - Williston 4-3
Century vs Minot - Minot 5-1

Championship Round
Bismarck vs GF Central - Bismarck 3-2 OT
Fargo South vs GF Red River - Fargo South 4-3

Consolation
Williston vs Minot - Williston 5-4 OT

3rd
GF Central vs GF Red River - GF Central 3-2

Championship
Bismarck vs Fargo South - Fargo South 6-4
Eleven
NDPreps Reserve

Postby gfhockey » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:41 pm

Mike Peluso was on the radio today with Dan Hammer and bascially said this and im paraphrasing " We have faced a lot of adveristy this season with sick kids and now we gotta travel and spend the nite in a hotel, I doubt we can pull it off but we are going to give it our best, I am not trying to make excuses but its true if u look at the recent east vs west records"

excuses already peluso... jeese
kinda neeat dane litke helps him and so does layne sevedie
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Saucesauer » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:30 pm

gfhockey wrote:Mike Peluso was on the radio today with Dan Hammer and bascially said this and im paraphrasing " We have faced a lot of adveristy this season with sick kids and now we gotta travel and spend the nite in a hotel, I doubt we can pull it off but we are going to give it our best, I am not trying to make excuses but its true if u look at the recent east vs west records"

excuses already peluso... jeese
kinda neeat dane litke helps him and so does layne sevedie

Peluso is a coach, he has been to the show, he has played in the ship...That already gives him and the words he says more credibility than you have. He already knows the shananigans that go on up there, its not a excuse its truth. Peluso is the best hockey player to ever come out of ND I might just be crazy though...He has been around Hockey arenas and hotels a little bit.
Saucesauer
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby gfhockey » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:45 pm

I dont know if id call him the best hockey player ever to come out of north dakota

What about Ryan Potulny? Danny Irmen? Purper's? Paul Gausted?

Im jw but was it that mike peluso who got beat up pretty bad at the ralph in 98 when he treid fighting one of the sioux? idk his name just sticks out..

No where did I write I had more credibility than him, I just think it was funny he was making excuses that we hear everyyear and even Hammer called him out on that saying you can't blame it on that every year that you lose.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby goteam11 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:32 pm

gfhockey wrote:I dont know if id call him the best hockey player ever to come out of north dakota

Im jw but was it that mike peluso who got beat up pretty bad at the ralph in 98 when he treid fighting one of the sioux? idk his name just sticks out..

No where did I write I had more credibility than him, I just think it was funny he was making excuses that we hear everyyear and even Hammer called him out on that saying you can't blame it on that every year that you lose.

what would peluso be doing in the ralph in 98 against the souix??
goteam11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:39 pm

gfhockey wrote:I dont know if id call him the best hockey player ever to come out of north dakota

Okay the best hockey player to play ND high school hockey...
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby gfhockey » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:43 pm

peluso played for umd and last time i checked umd play UND in the WCHA which would cause UMD to travel to UND.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sioux4ever » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:29 pm

Baller wrote:

Okay the best hockey player to play ND high school hockey...

So how does one determine "best"? And Potulny, Irmen, Purpur's all played ND High School hockey. What is the best in one person's eyes may not be the best in another's. How about we say that we have had many great hockey players come out of North Dakota and Peluso is included in that group.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby goteam11 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:02 pm

gfhockey wrote:peluso played for umd and last time i checked umd play UND in the WCHA which would cause UMD to travel to UND.

oh ok i was just wondering. his last highschool year was like 1992 so i was just wondering why he would play und 6 years later. thanks
goteam11
NDPreps Starter

Postby SportsDoc » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:27 pm

No where did I write I had more credibility than him, I just think it was funny he was making excuses that we hear every year and even Hammer called him out on that saying you can't blame it on that every year that you lose.

The Peluso who got clocked by Prpich is a different Peluso, no relation. Mike Peluso had 99 points his Junior year at BHS in 91-92. Anyone else done that? Didn't think so. He skipped his Senior year to play in the USHL.

Mike Peluso played at UMD, was Rookie of the year his first year and All-WCHA the next three years. He played in AHL for four years, was on four All-Star AHL teams and had call ups with the Blackhawks for 38 games. Neither Potulny can match his record or Stats, Gaustad, maybe, but did he even play HS hockey in ND?

It is not a stretch, at this point, to say he is the best HS player in ND history. Some day that may not be true, but it is true today.
SportsDoc
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Clark17 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:56 am

SportsDoc wrote:

No where did I write I had more credibility than him, I just think it was funny he was making excuses that we hear every year and even Hammer called him out on that saying you can't blame it on that every year that you lose.

The Peluso who got clocked by Prpich is a different Peluso, no relation. Mike Peluso had 99 points his Junior year at BHS in 91-92. Anyone else done that? Didn't think so. He skipped his Senior year to play in the USHL.

Mike Peluso played at UMD, was Rookie of the year his first year and All-WCHA the next three years. He played in AHL for four years, was on four All-Star AHL teams and had call ups with the Blackhawks for 38 games. Neither Potulny can match his record or Stats, Gaustad, maybe, but did he even play HS hockey in ND?

It is not a stretch, at this point, to say he is the best HS player in ND history. Some day that may not be true, but it is true today.

Very true. I also don't believe Guastad played high school here. Peluso "only" had 98 pts.
Clark17
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sioux4ever » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:53 am

SportsDoc wrote:Mike Peluso played at UMD, was Rookie of the year his first year and All-WCHA the next three years. He played in AHL for four years, was on four All-Star AHL teams and had call ups with the Blackhawks for 38 games. Neither Potulny can match his record or Stats, Gaustad, maybe, but did he even play HS hockey in ND?

Thanks for the bio on Mike Peluso. He is definitely one of the strongest players to come from North Dakota and probably one of the best players from his era, but I think it is a stretch to say he is the best to play in ND History. I am not arguing for or against, but Ryan Potulny left for the USHL after his Sophomore season in HS, so who knows what he would have done. Potulny put up better numbers in the USHL, and also put up a better single season mark for points in college. On the NHL front Ryan Potulny already has him beat with 52 games played, and counting. Potulny was also on a state championship team. I think we have also forgotten about Jeff Panzer. State championship at GFC, 2 years USHL where he was dominant (scored more than both of them in the USHL), 4 years at UND scoring over 200 points (again, more than Potulny OR Peluso). He may have not been able to crack into the NHL, but I would rank him up there as one of the best to come from North Dakota. In my opnion, pretty close comparison, but there is no clear cut best player.
Sioux4ever
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gfhockey » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:44 am

No the peluso who got clocked by pripich was in like 2002 or 2003.im talking about the one in 1998 but oh well idc.

You could also make the argument taht the west has more weaker teams except for minot. LIke they ahve mroe whapeton-breckenridges that you can inflate your points

Im not disagreeing with your assessment of him but its pretty tough to say that hes the best HS hockey player to come out of ND. Theres a handfull of guys that have the same success (AHL regular and part time nhl) as him
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby Clark17 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:00 pm

gfhockey wrote:No the peluso who got clocked by pripich was in like 2002 or 2003.im talking about the one in 1998 but oh well idc.

You could also make the argument taht the west has more weaker teams except for minot. LIke they ahve mroe whapeton-breckenridges that you can inflate your points

Im not disagreeing with your assessment of him but its pretty tough to say that hes the best HS hockey player to come out of ND. Theres a handfull of guys that have the same success (AHL regular and part time nhl) as him

Actually you can't make that argument about that particular year. West teams finished 1, 2 , and 3 at state. A fourth seed from the east was beat to go to state by a fifth seed in the west also. Bismarck in the 92 state tourn. never even faced an east team. I would say it was one of the stronger west regions we've seen. Do people remember a pro baseball player that played in the west? He wasn't too shabby either. If I remeber correctly from old State Tourn. programs Minot got pounded in the regular season by Bismarck. Peluso put plenty of points up during the season against the eventual state champs.
Clark17
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball007 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:47 pm

The peluso you are thinking of is Marco Peluso who played for UMD in 2002-2003, 04 era around then

baseball007
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Unity77 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:38 pm

Opening Round
Bismarck vs Grafton/PR - Grafton/PR 4-2
GF Central vs Williston - GF Central 9-2
Fargo South vs Century - Fargo South 11-1
Minot vs GF Red River- GF Red River 7-2

Championship Round
Grafton/PR vs GF Central- GF Central 5-2
Fargo South vs GF Red River - Fargo South 6-2

3rd
Grafton/PR vs GF Red River - Grafton/PR 3-2

Championship
GF Central vs Fargo South - Fargo South 6-3
Unity77
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby e.s.p.n. » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:40 pm

do you know which games will be televised?
e.s.p.n.
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Hockey