Mr. Hockey and Coach of the year

All teams in ND
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts maybe be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Mr. Hockey and Coach of the year

Postby gfhockey » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:51 pm

Theres only going to be two finalists this year. One from each region. What do you guys think of this?

I think it not cool. It should be 4 not 2. Or go back to the old way of 3.
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Re: Mr. Hockey and Coach of the year

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:22 pm

Only two finalists? That's odd. I'm assuming Crary will win it, though. He's deserving of it and his consistency is proven as he is one of the point leaders yet again this year even without the skilled team he's had in the past.

I'll still put money on Benson getting coach of the year. However, this really depends on whether they recognize that South's team is made up mostly of seniors and past varsity players. They're the 'stacked' team of this year, like RR was last year.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby gfhockey » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:04 am

I dont think benson can win it. I guess its only between the east coach of the year and west coach of the year

same with mr. hoceky... east player of the year vs west player of the year

how dumb
gfhockey
NDPreps All-State

Postby OldSchool » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:03 pm

gfhockey wrote:I dont think benson can win it. I guess its only between the east coach of the year and west coach of the year

same with mr. hoceky... east player of the year vs west player of the year

how dumb

Coach of the year also on the ballot is the East and West Region Championship teams Coaches.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby october23sp » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:24 pm

Peluso not winning coach of the year is an absolute joke.
october23sp
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:31 pm

october23sp wrote:Peluso not winning coach of the year is an absolute joke.

Considering this is voted on, it's pretty much a luck of the draw every year as to who gets it. This year was a big toss up between Bina/Benson/Peluso/Malm. Apparently Bina simply had a small edge in votes over the others.

Just because your coach didn't win it doesn't mean it's a joke. He'll get it eventually, I'm sure.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby OldSchool » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:29 pm

Apparently Bina simply had a small edge in votes over the others.

I have been told by a very reliable source that it really wasn't even close.
OldSchool
NDPreps Starter

Postby central hockey fan » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:19 pm

OldSchool wrote:Apparently Bina simply had a small edge in votes over the others.

I have heard that if you don't pay the dues for the ND coach association that you don't get considered and Peluso didn't pay the fees. This was from a Bismarck parent I know. Anyone know more about this?
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby the_truth_hurts » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:21 am

central hockey fan wrote:
OldSchool wrote:Apparently Bina simply had a small edge in votes over the others.

I have heard that if you don't pay the dues for the ND coach association that you don't get considered and Peluso didn't pay the fees. This was from a Bismarck parent I know. Anyone know more about this?

what you just said pretty much sums up how much of a joke these awards truly are.
the_truth_hurts
NDPreps Starter

Postby SiouxYAYA » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:53 am

the_truth_hurts wrote:

what you just said pretty much sums up how much of a joke these awards truly are.

How can you say that these awards are a joke...just because your home-town team coach didn't get the award doesn't mean it's a joke. Bina took the youngest team in the state to the state semi-finals after not even making it to state the previous 2 years. How can you blame the state for giving him the award.
SiouxYAYA
NDPreps Reserve

Postby central hockey fan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:27 pm

SiouxYAYA wrote:
the_truth_hurts wrote:

How can you say that these awards are a joke...just because your home-town team coach didn't get the award doesn't mean it's a joke. Bina took the youngest team in the state to the state semi-finals after not even making it to state the previous 2 years. How can you blame the state for giving him the award.

I will say that if it is true that you need to pay some dues before you can be considered, it does water the process down a bit don't you think? I mean what if Russell Crary wasn't considered for Mr. Hockey because he failed to pay his USA hockey dues and it went to someone else instead. Would that other player feel he truly was the best? Even if that was the case.
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby 14>35 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:59 pm

SiouxYAYA wrote:
the_truth_hurts wrote:

i dont think his "young team" doing well had much to do with coaching. nothing against bina personally, but central was a very talented team...regardless of age. its no surprise they had success.

i would look to peluso. i mean he did bring a WDA team to the final and that speaks volumes although it is voted on before the tournament. hopefully bismarck's success sparks some momentum for hockey in the WDA. malm could have won it too...red river was not very talented at all this year and he did well with what he had.
14>35
NDPreps Starter

Postby central hockey fan » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:28 am

14>35 wrote:
SiouxYAYA wrote:
the_truth_hurts wrote:

Well said, I completely agree! I did hear that Peluso didn't pay his dues though and that is why he wasn't considered.

i dont think his "young team" doing well had much to do with coaching. nothing against bina personally, but central was a very talented team...regardless of age. its no surprise they had success.

i would look to peluso. i mean he did bring a WDA team to the final and that speaks volumes although it is voted on before the tournament. hopefully bismarck's success sparks some momentum for hockey in the WDA. malm could have won it too...red river was not very talented at all this year and he did well with what he had.
central hockey fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:46 pm

14>35 wrote:malm could have won it too...red river was not very talented at all this year and he did well with what he had.

This is very true.
If I could have a vote, I would give Red River's goalie coach the award. :lol:
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby toews19 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:05 pm

why does everyone say red river wasnt very talented this year? they had a lot of skilled players. good "hockey" players. south, IMO wasnt very talented "hockey" wise. yes they had some good players, but they just seemed like they were big and hard to play against but maybe lacked some hockey sense. idk, once again this might just be me being my same old biased self talking about red river. but in my opinion, central and red river both had better skilled players this year than south did
toews19
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:39 pm

toews19 wrote:why does everyone say red river wasnt very talented this year? they had a lot of skilled players. good "hockey" players. south, IMO wasnt very talented "hockey" wise. yes they had some good players, but they just seemed like they were big and hard to play against but maybe lacked some hockey sense. idk, once again this might just be me being my same old biased self talking about red river. but in my opinion, central and red river both had better skilled players this year than south did

I wouldn't say RR was more talented, but several of their forwards had a knack for getting the puck in the back of the net at the right time. Namely Crary, who did wonders for them at State. South basically got scoring out of two or three of their forwards (Narveson, Orson, Stellrecht) and their defense (...which is bad). When these three players and their defense weren't putting the puck away, no one else stood out and put it away. RR's ability to bury the puck showed through, especially against Bismarck when they had very few chances.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby 14>35 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:02 pm

i think you may be confusing talent for team chemistry. individually, red river was not a very talented team. talented teams don't get out shot 838-694 over the season and still post a 20-7 record.

but don't get me wrong, i would take a hard working team that works well together over a team of all stars any day.
14>35
NDPreps Starter

Postby Go Sioux » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:10 am

Fact.... Red River was better than South. They proved it when it mattered. To say Red River won in state because of a hot goalie is foolish. The goalie is still a team member and contributed his part to the team winning. South was over-rated this year
Go Sioux
NDPreps Reserve

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:11 am

Go Sioux wrote:Fact.... Red River was better than South. They proved it when it mattered. To say Red River won in state because of a hot goalie is foolish. The goalie is still a team member and contributed his part to the team winning. South was over-rated this year

Game 1
Fargo South - 4 (34)
Red River - 3 (18)

Game 2
Fargo South - 6 (36)
Red River - 3 (33)

Game 3
Fargo South - 1 (36)
Red River - 2 (20)

The closest game Red River had with South was their second game in Fargo, which ended up being a blowout in favor of South. How was South overrated? They lost one game and you figure they're so much worse because of that? They walked through almost their entire lineup of competition all year long, and if you didn't think they were favorites going into state you're mistaken. Did Red River win? Yes of course they did. Were they more talented? No.

Your logic is like saying Moorhead was better than Blaine, Centennial, Bloomington Jefferson, Edina... etc etc. I feel your team should be more than pleased by sneaking away with a trophy this year, don't claim anything else. Mind you this is the same team that nearly got knocked out in the state play-in game by West Fargo...
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby toews19 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:03 am

HockeyHigh wrote:
Go Sioux wrote:Fact.... Red River was better than South. They proved it when it mattered. To say Red River won in state because of a hot goalie is foolish. The goalie is still a team member and contributed his part to the team winning. South was over-rated this year

You're pretty much a joke.

Game 1
Fargo South - 4 (34)
Red River - 3 (18)

Game 2
Fargo South - 6 (36)
Red River - 3 (33)

Game 3
Fargo South - 1 (36)
Red River - 2 (20)

The closest game Red River had with South was their second game in Fargo, which ended up being a blowout in favor of South. How was South overrated? They lost one game and you figure they're so much worse because of that? They walked through almost their entire lineup of competition all year long, and if you didn't think they were favorites going into state you're mistaken. Did Red River win? Yes of course they did. Were they more talented? No.

Your logic is like saying Moorhead was better than Blaine, Centennial, Bloomington Jefferson, Edina... etc etc. I feel your team should be more than pleased by sneaking away with a trophy this year, don't claim anything else. Mind you this is the same team that nearly got knocked out in the state play-in game by West Fargo...

HockeyHigh once again im gonna ask you a question. fargo south has some good hockey players dont get me wrong. red river also has some good hockey players. me and you both know that. but who on south is so "talented"? now before you answer that question, think about this, were they actually "talented" hockey players? not just big guys on the ice out there going hard. i mean guys out there with actual hockey "talent". a brain, or hockey sense as a lot of people call it. south was a tough team to play against this year becuase they were so big and strong. not necessiarily so talented. i would consider RR's top 7 scorers "talented" hockey players. my definition of a talented hockey player is a guy with hockey sense, good vision and a good passer. knows when to shoot, knows when to pass. reads plays before they are gonna happen. slows up an odd man rush when he needs to, or drives to the net hard and beats a guy wide. just basically overall a guy with hockey sense. im not gonna take any individual shots at any of the south players, but just think of how many of those guys are actually "talented" since they were the more talented team then RR was this year...
toews19
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Go Sioux » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:25 am

Red River was the most talentedest team in the State of North Dakota. To say Fargo South is better is down right foolish. South proved Red River was better when they lost to them when it mattered most. Bottom line, Red River doesn't care about the regular season, as long as they get a big ring on their fingers.
Go Sioux
NDPreps Reserve

Postby the_truth_hurts » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:43 pm

SiouxYAYA wrote:
the_truth_hurts wrote:

im not from bismarck. i just think he deserved the award. and if you cant win the award if you dont pay your fees i find that ridiculous.
the_truth_hurts
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:49 pm

Its not rediculus. The award is given by the North Dakota High school Coaches association and if you are not a member, then you are not elegible for the award. If you want to be honored by other coaches then join the association. If you do not join, then do not complain about their award.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby HockeyHigh » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:38 pm

toews19 wrote:HockeyHigh once again im gonna ask you a question. fargo south has some good hockey players dont get me wrong. red river also has some good hockey players. me and you both know that. but who on south is so "talented"? now before you answer that question, think about this, were they actually "talented" hockey players? not just big guys on the ice out there going hard. i mean guys out there with actual hockey "talent". a brain, or hockey sense as a lot of people call it. south was a tough team to play against this year becuase they were so big and strong. not necessiarily so talented. i would consider RR's top 7 scorers "talented" hockey players. my definition of a talented hockey player is a guy with hockey sense, good vision and a good passer. knows when to shoot, knows when to pass. reads plays before they are gonna happen. slows up an odd man rush when he needs to, or drives to the net hard and beats a guy wide. just basically overall a guy with hockey sense. im not gonna take any individual shots at any of the south players, but just think of how many of those guys are actually "talented" since they were the more talented team then RR was this year...

I'll give you Crary, Ladoucer and Bancroft for Red River and maybe even Johnson and Fugleberg. But really, after that? Not much aside from a couple of defensemen. This is also the same team that felt it was necessary to run up 18 on Wahpeton for points...
You're telling me that Orson, Sorenson, Stellrecht, Narveson, and Huguelet weren't "talented"? This isn't even including their defensive core of Burdick/Wagner/Hooey/Luecke. Those four defensemen put up 92 points. That's more than any other four combined defensemen in the entire state...not including Narveson (30 Points... who was originally a defenseman).

You're telling me because these players are big they weren't talented? The average height of an NHL player is 6'1'' and 200-220 pounds. Obviously these are high school kids and they won't be that heavy in general, but they're getting there. Am I saying these kids are NHL talent? Of course not, but it doesn't mean they're not skilled.

Go Sioux wrote:Red River was the most talentedest team in the State of North Dakota. To say Fargo South is better is down right foolish. South proved Red River was better when they lost to them when it mattered most. Bottom line, Red River doesn't care about the regular season, as long as they get a big ring on their fingers.

I won't call you out on who you are, but you keep telling yourself this. But honestly, if someone uses the word 'talentedest' I can't take their post any more seriously than someone that claims that their team is outright better than another while getting outshot 2:1 and winning in overtime on their first shot (a wrister...) from the point, without a screen.

Baller wrote:Its not rediculus. The award is given by the North Dakota High school Coaches association and if you are not a member, then you are not elegible for the award. If you want to be honored by other coaches then join the association. If you do not join, then do not complain about their award.

I did think he was well deserving of the reward. His team did extremely well this year, and if it weren't for some (well a lot of) bad tempers flaring in the championship, they likely would have taken an easy title. I felt pretty bad for him in the end, there's not much you can do about players taking stupid penalties like that, no matter how much you do.
HockeyHigh
NDPreps All-State

Postby toews19 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:21 pm

HockeyHigh wrote:
toews19 wrote:HockeyHigh once again im gonna ask you a question. fargo south has some good hockey players dont get me wrong. red river also has some good hockey players. me and you both know that. but who on south is so "talented"? now before you answer that question, think about this, were they actually "talented" hockey players? not just big guys on the ice out there going hard. i mean guys out there with actual hockey "talent". a brain, or hockey sense as a lot of people call it. south was a tough team to play against this year becuase they were so big and strong. not necessiarily so talented. i would consider RR's top 7 scorers "talented" hockey players. my definition of a talented hockey player is a guy with hockey sense, good vision and a good passer. knows when to shoot, knows when to pass. reads plays before they are gonna happen. slows up an odd man rush when he needs to, or drives to the net hard and beats a guy wide. just basically overall a guy with hockey sense. im not gonna take any individual shots at any of the south players, but just think of how many of those guys are actually "talented" since they were the more talented team then RR was this year...

I'll give you Crary, Ladoucer and Bancroft for Red River and maybe even Johnson and Fugleberg. But really, after that? Not much aside from a couple of defensemen. This is also the same team that felt it was necessary to run up 18 on Wahpeton for points...
You're telling me that Orson, Sorenson, Stellrecht, Narveson, and Huguelet weren't "talented"? This isn't even including their defensive core of Burdick/Wagner/Hooey/Luecke. Those four defensemen put up 92 points. That's more than any other four combined defensemen in the entire state...not including Narveson (30 Points... who was originally a defenseman).

You're telling me because these players are big they weren't talented? The average height of an NHL player is 6'1'' and 200-220 pounds. Obviously these are high school kids and they won't be that heavy in general, but they're getting there. Am I saying these kids are NHL talent? Of course not, but it doesn't mean they're not skilled.

k first of all, johnson and fugleberg are very talented. you dont just do as well as they did this year by mistake. along with the other 3 forwards you named (crary, ladouceur, bancroft) they are all pretty good hockey players. and i never said those forwards you named from fargo south werent talented, they are. but i would say keith howe and bryce anderson are more talented than at least two of the south defenseman you named. (i wont name names, but i think you know who im talking about.) size is tough to play against, especially for some guys like luke johnson and casey fugleberg who still have a lot of time to grow. i have a friend who is 6' 3" 200 lbs and can skate farely well. im sure if he were to be placed in the position as a couple of the south defenseman this year, he would be pretty hard to play against too. he isnt very talented, but he would be pretty hard to play against. take this as an example and maybe this will help what i am trying to prove. it might not be the best example but oh well. say i were to put together an all-star team of peewees in north dakota of the most "talented" players. put them up against a team like west fargo. who is gonna win? im gonna guess west fargo. is it because they are more "talented"? no i dont think so. i hope you understand what im trying to prove here...
toews19
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Hockey