The Micky Mantle of High School

HS and Legion ball in ND.
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

The Micky Mantle of High School

Postby pandabearfleece » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:06 pm

High School Senior Brandon Gates is seriously a shoe in for mvp this spring. He can throw a baseball a quarter mile and his mile time is 5 flat and dropping. He is currently training for the Boston Marathon. He swims 400 meters every morning, exluding the sabboth day of course. These are only a few of the reasons why Brandon A. Gates will be mvp.
pandabearfleece
NDPreps Rookie

Re: The Micky Mantle of High School

Postby aaronrules » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:14 pm

pandabearfleece wrote:High School Senior Brandon Gates is seriously a shoe in for mvp this spring. He can throw a baseball a quarter mile and his mile time is 5 flat and dropping. He is currently training for the Boston Marathon. He swims 400 meters every morning, exluding the sabboth day of course. These are only a few of the reasons why Brandon A. Gates will be mvp.

Hear Hear, I fullheartedly agree
aaronrules
NDPreps Starter

Postby InTheKnow » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:01 am

pandabearfleece wrote:High School Senior Brandon Gates is seriously a shoe in for mvp this spring. He can throw a baseball a quarter mile and his mile time is 5 flat and dropping. He is currently training for the Boston Marathon. He swims 400 meters every morning, exluding the sabboth day of course. These are only a few of the reasons why Brandon A. Gates will be mvp.

WHO????? and from where???

Also running a mile in 5 flat and swimming 400 meters has nothing to do with baseball. How about spending 3 hours a day working on their swing. That will get someone somewhere.
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby gunslinger13 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:51 am

Ya im pretty sure Mickey Mantle wasnt in to the hole running and swimming thing this is supposed to be the mickey mantle of high school and that brandon A. doesnt sound like Mickey at all.
LOVE ME SEXY:P
gunslinger13
NDPreps Starter

Postby pandabearfleece » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:04 pm

gunslinger13 wrote:Ya im pretty sure Mickey Mantle wasnt in to the hole running and swimming thing this is supposed to be the mickey mantle of high school and that brandon A. doesnt sound like Mickey at all.

you spelled whole wrong

Those things have everything to do with baseball, Swimming builds lung capacity, running 5 flat helps him to fit better into his baseball pants. You guys just don't know how to properly train for baseball.
pandabearfleece
NDPreps Rookie

Postby gunslinger13 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:19 pm

I play baseball and swimming can help you some i guess. Running will help you alot but i dont see how running 5 minute miles applies to being mickey mantle
LOVE ME SEXY:P
gunslinger13
NDPreps Starter

Postby InTheKnow » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:55 am

pandabearfleece wrote:
gunslinger13 wrote:Ya im pretty sure Mickey Mantle wasnt in to the hole running and swimming thing this is supposed to be the mickey mantle of high school and that brandon A. doesnt sound like Mickey at all.

you spelled whole wrong

Those things have everything to do with baseball, Swimming builds lung capacity, running 5 flat helps him to fit better into his baseball pants. You guys just don't know how to properly train for baseball.

Wow I am at a loss because I actually do know a thing or two about how to properly train for baseball. Might want to take a look at a book or a video on physical training for baseball. Baseball requires short burts of explosive movements for hitting and throwing and running from home to first in an average time of 4.3 seconds. Light hand weights and exercise cords for rotator cuff strengthening. Dumbbells for wrist and forearm strength. Medicine ball and plyo ball for core strength. Dumbbell squats, leg press, and leg curls for leg strength. Plyometrics for foot speed and agility. Sprint acceleration training for base running. Please enlighten me in how improved lung capacity and better fitting baseball pants will help someone hit for average and power, have improved foot quickness and hand speed to play better defense, or better sprinting foot speed to run the bases, or improved small muscle arm strength to throw with more velocity (swimming uses large muscles, not the same ones in the rotator cuff). I am hoping this was just an attempt at humor or I feel sorry if this is a topic on you that someone has led you down this path of training to becoming a better baseball player. You may want to check out some info from former Arizona Diamondbacks Strength coach Jeff Forney. Lots of great information on how to properly train for baseball. http://www.triplethreatinc.com/index.html
InTheKnow
NDPreps All-State

Postby Matt_Damon » Mon May 18, 2009 2:13 pm

You can think what you want.

Yes, swimming and running are good for your overall fitness, but that does not mean you can play baseball. Eye-hand coordination is much more important for baseball. It would probably be more beneficial to throw a baseball against a wall and catch it 1000 times a day, than to run a mile everyday.

To make a correlation like that is silly in my book. I'm pretty sure Mantle was an alcoholic, and probably didn't do anything that is stated in this topic. I guess if BA can drink a bottle a whiskey, every morning, except the Sabboth of course, then maybe you can make a comparison to Mantle.

Great for BA, but I don't think it is correct to make a comparison to Mickey Mantle.

Just opinion...
Matt_Damon
NDPreps Rookie

Return to Baseball