Will NDSU make the Dance?

No smack talk is allowed here.

Will NDSU make the Dance?

Postby baseball18 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:44 am

Will NDSU make the NCAA Tournament? They're 10-1 in conference right now and a half game ahead of Oral ROberts for first. The conference tourney is in SIoux Falls and should bring a good amount of fans to the tourney. I think they'll beat ORU in the conference championship on ESPN2
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Re: Will NDSU make the Dance?

Postby Hinsa » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:54 am

Unfortunately the Summit League will only get one entry to the dance - the winner of the Conference tournament. So the nice body of work the Bison have put together in the regular season will mean nothing more than a good conference tournament seed. They must win the tournament to make the dance. However, if they win the regular season title I have heard that they will be guarnateed at least an NIT bid.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:13 pm

I really hope so, but you never know. Seeds help but there is always some 6 seed from a conference that wins their tournament with a 13-16 record, so anything can happen. They've never played in a conference tournament and there is so much pressure to win this year. This group of seniors signed with NDSU knowing they would have one shot to go to the NCAA tournament.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball18 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:22 am

this team is HUNGRY... I'm excited, lets just fast forward to March
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby Mr. Knowitall » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:24 pm

If NDSU can sustain the athletic ORU bigs they should do fine. Their interior defense has been pretty lackluster for the majority of the season. In their recent game against Oakland their 6'10 forward ate up the Bison D and had something like 5 dunks on the herd. But other than that the Bison have one of the best mid-major backcourts in the country and the future pro guard Woodside can seemingly take over at any point in the game.
Experience tells you what to do; confidence allows you to do it.
Mr. Knowitall
NDPreps Starter

Postby Beston51 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:46 pm

I hope they can do it. Go Bison!!!
Beston51
NDPreps Starter

Postby FSHBruins10 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:21 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

espn has NDSU as a 14 seed against Xavier
Strive for Excellence
122 State Championships and counting...
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsguruguy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:35 pm

Woodside was a non factor as far as points the last 2 games and they came out with 2 good wins.If Ben can get his average and the rest of the team keeps playing like they have been, they will definately make the dance!! It is going to be very exciting the next several weeks. GO BISON!!
sportsguruguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby flatlander » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:31 pm

I give NDSU a 30% shot of winning the conference tourney, ORU 25%, Oakland 20% and the other five in the tourney 25%. While NDSU is the best team in the conference, they aren't completely dominating and two of the bottom-half teams took them to overtime. It's just really tough to win three in a row at the DI level.

OTOH, I'd give NDSU a very good chance of assuring themselves of NIT bid - I mean, they've got a two-game lead with five games to go.
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mr. Knowitall » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:51 pm

flatlander wrote:I give NDSU a 30% shot of winning the conference tourney, ORU 25%, Oakland 20% and the other five in the tourney 25%. While NDSU is the best team in the conference, they aren't completely dominating and two of the bottom-half teams took them to overtime. It's just really tough to win three in a row at the DI level.

OTOH, I'd give NDSU a very good chance of assuring themselves of NIT bid - I mean, they've got a two-game lead with five games to go.

By the way the bracket is set up ORU at the #2 seed will have to play #3 seed Oakland in the semis and NDSU could potentially play a team with a losing record such as the #4 seed Southern Utah in the semis. As a result NDSU will ultimately be a shoe-in for the Summit Championship. So it is essentially only one truly tough game NDSU has to play in the tourney.
Experience tells you what to do; confidence allows you to do it.
Mr. Knowitall
NDPreps Starter

Postby FSHBruins10 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:36 pm

flatlander wrote:I give NDSU a 30% shot of winning the conference tourney, ORU 25%, Oakland 20% and the other five in the tourney 25%. While NDSU is the best team in the conference, they aren't completely dominating and two of the bottom-half teams took them to overtime. It's just really tough to win three in a row at the DI level.

they are currently on a 10 game winning streak so im sure the BISON can pick up 2 straight wins in the tourney
Strive for Excellence
122 State Championships and counting...
BRUIN PRIDE
FSHBruins10
NDPreps Starter

Postby flatlander » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:59 am

Oh yeah, NDSU definitely can win three in a row in the Summit Tourney to make the Dance, but the competition is going to be pretty tough - be interesting to see how the final two road games go but, first, gotta win the two remaining home games.

Right now, NDSU is playing at a very high level so I sure hope they make the Dance because the team that sleeps on these guys is going to get a rude awakening :shock:

Dunk from last night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_owm083dCU
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby 3nout » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:20 am

Go Bison.
3nout
NDPreps Starter

Postby flatlander » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:46 am

NDSU took the Summit League championship last night so they get the #1 seed in the conference tourney. They still have to win the conference tournament to get to the Big Dance though so that means that they have to win the next three games. The conference final is on ESPN2 on March 10th at 3PM.

If they don't make the Dance, their season won't be over because NDSU would get an NIT bid.
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby tcbison » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:11 am

flatlander wrote:NDSU took the Summit League championship last night so they get the #1 seed in the conference tourney. They still have to win the conference tournament to get to the Big Dance though so that means that they have to win the next three games. The conference final is on ESPN2 on March 10th at 3PM.

If they don't make the Dance, their season won't be over because NDSU would get an NIT bid.

The Summit League has the game at 7pm on March 10th.
tcbison
NDPreps Starter

Postby flatlander » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:45 am

Oops, you are right. Men is 7pm, March 10 on ESPN2. Women are at 3pm, March 10, ESPNU.
flatlander
NDPreps Starter

Postby eastwood99 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:06 pm

I have a feeling NDSU will win their conference tourney and make it to the second round of the NCAA Tournament....I have seen it in my dreams. LOL
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:56 pm

One game away. Bison dipatch of Southern Utah and await the winner of Oakland and SDSU. Could be a historic night tomorrow for Bison fans.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby eastwood99 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:45 am

My dream is coming to pass! ESPN 2 tonight, be there!
Frank Lucas
eastwood99
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndfan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:52 pm

Bison by 20 tonight
Matt Houdek. @ndfan55
ndfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby tcbison » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:23 pm

ndfan wrote:Bison by 20 tonight

I just hope NDSU wins. Oakland has a very good team and has won 9 straight. It is unfortunate that there has to be a blizzard because more Bison fans would travel down to Sioux Falls to cheer on the Bison. Either way, it has been a great season and win or lose the Bison will have more games to play either in the NCAA tourney or NIT. Let's hope the Bison can punch their ticket tonight. Best of luck to Lucas Moorman from Dickinson. Sounds like he is getting married soon and the rest of Bison seniors will be inthe wedding.
tcbison
NDPreps Starter

Postby nc » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:58 pm

NDSU is going to the dance!!!!! They defeat Oakland by 2 tonite in an awsome game. They were down by 10 at half and did and awosme job to come back and win by 2 with a game winning bucket by woodside with 3 seconds left. NDSU makes it to the dance in their first year of eligibility!! Awsome job and i hope they can make soem noise in the tourney
nc
NDPreps Starter

Postby riders » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:59 pm

NDSU WINS 66-64 on a last second shot by none other than WOODSIDE. incredible game. NDSU was down by more than 14 for part of the game and came all the way back. First team to make it to the dance since Long Beach State in 1970. making history and hopefull making some noise in the tourney
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:00 pm

I was really in doubt after oakland hit a free throw, got an offensive rebound, hit another one, got another offensive rebound and hit a 3 to go up 12 with under 10 left.. AMAZING game....
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby riders » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:00 pm

wow..nc's post wasnt up yet when i posted and they sound alot alike haha..amazing how when its our college and not a high school we all cheer for the same team-GO HERD
Last edited by riders on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Not to be cheered by praise, not to be grieved by blame, but to know thoroughly one's own virtues or powers are the characteristics of an excellent man."-Satchel Paige
riders
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to North Dakota's Universities and Colleges