2008 Soccer

Re: 2008 Soccer

Postby EDC » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:53 pm

Congratulations to Shanley. As far as the favorite not winning - the best team by far. What do you call that? If you are the best and you don't win some call that choking.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby soccer1 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:37 pm

That was really nice EDC. There is a big difference between choking and not winning. If you watched that north/south game you wouldn't call that a choke. Soccer is alot about being lucky and unlucky.

Shanley was the best team in that particular game. I will give you that.
soccer1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby L00PS » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:46 pm

EDC wrote:Congratulations to Shanley. As far as the favorite not winning - the best team by far. What do you call that? If you are the best and you don't win some call that choking.

South did not choke and yet still (in my opinion) was the best team. You can't honestly say that Shanley had a better team than South because they didn't. Shanley didn't beat South all year, and wouldn't have if South would've made it to the Championship. All you can say is Shanley got some breaks, bounces, calls, ect. South had the best team this year by far. Not Shanley. Congrats on their State Championship, but look at the All EDC team, All-Tournament team, Coach of the Year, AND Mr. Soccer (Andy Schell). I think we all know that South is the real Champions. However, Shanley did play well to deserve their first ever State Championship. So I tip my hat to the Deacons.
L00PS
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lovefutbol » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:17 pm

South had the most talented players. They were certainly not the best team. There is a big difference, and it is demonstrated year after year by South.
lovefutbol
NDPreps Reserve

Postby blob » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:27 pm

South had the most players on the EDC team because of their place in the standings, not neccessarily having that many quality guys to put on it. Not to mention if Glogloza would have been a senior he would have won Mr. Soccer. If coach of the year would have been picked after the tournment, I think Breker would have gotten it.
blob
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EDC » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:06 am

Huge schools have a big advantage every year in every sport. Unfortunately , it is a lose lose proposition. Win and you are only doing what you are expected to do and lose you failed. You can win and lose with grace and with sportsmanship. The huge talent pool at big schools can create an atmosphere that means you have to outperform your teammates to get noticed and that can hurt “team play.” Why make the extra pass when I might score and get noticed. Support you team and have fun. You look a little foolish when you lose but continue to say that the other team only has one or two players that match up with us.
You gotta believe
EDC
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby trigger » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:08 pm

lovefutbol wrote:I don't think there was a better "team" than Shanley. They deserved to win, although the title game did involve a bit of luck. They had players hurt and the reffing was a little lopsided in North's favor during the championship game. I'm still not sure if they are the team to beat next year.

Interesting perspetive, Shanley had one good player who worked hard and got lucky with a long shot. The rest of the "team" kicked the ball out of bounds as soon as possible on the defensive end, which was often as the ball was on the Shanley end 90% of the time(with the wind) in the first half and 70% or more the second half. One could say this almost identical to the South/North game except South dominated. Look at shots on goal, hmmm. North has point blank shots that they simply messed up, nothing to do with Shanleys goalie. Again the same thing in the South game, point blank shots South missed, although North's goalie made several good saves against South. The big difference was the kick ball by Shanley, this was not team ball, team ball is often associated with possession .
The center ref did both the South/North and the championship game. Not sure why you felt he favored North, don't you wonder why after so many fouls a yellow card wasn't issued? Usually that number of fouls, seemed like every 30-40 seconds at the end, a warning would be issued?
trigger
NDPreps Reserve

Postby soccer09 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:13 pm

Shanley deserved it- brecker did a great job coaching, glogoza would have been mr soccer, all tournament was even between them and south (in regards to that claim of south superiority.) they played team ball and had possession in the second half, until (as is a natural inclination) they started to play more defense in an effort to hold north off. reffing was more than fair to north; the fouls at the end of the game were marginal at best and no where near deserving of a yellow card. criticisms of norths goalie are unfair- those who watched the game know that the shot was screened by a shanley forward until the last split second, completely erasing reaction time. criticising shanleys goalie is also unfair- good diving save of a lapka shot from distance, and correct decision making in the second half.

in conclusion, congrats to both teams in the championship: both had many good players, with reberg from north playing incredibly well and being a hgue part of the victory over south, and glogoza and jordan holding down the middle all the way up the field for shanley. both teams had quality chances - (kick save by shanley goalie, shanley forward poking it past north goalie but not recognizing he had the angle) that went unconverted, but it was a good game.
congrats again, and its time to stop criticizing any players or teams. if the tournament was played on paper maybe things would have gone differently; thats why you play the game.
soccer09
NDPreps Starter

Postby lovefutbol » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:13 pm

I would have to agree more with Soccer09 than Trigger. Definitely team soccer out of Shanley in the championship game, although boot ball did come in to play. HUGE screen on North's Rydell for the goal in the championship game. I thought both keepers played well. The weather was terrible, but the game was very close, very suspenseful. Congrats, Deacons.
lovefutbol
NDPreps Reserve

Postby L00PS » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:44 pm

EDC wrote:Huge schools have a big advantage every year in every sport. Unfortunately , it is a lose lose proposition. Win and you are only doing what you are expected to do and lose you failed. You can win and lose with grace and with sportsmanship. The huge talent pool at big schools can create an atmosphere that means you have to outperform your teammates to get noticed and that can hurt “team play.” Why make the extra pass when I might score and get noticed. Support you team and have fun. You look a little foolish when you lose but continue to say that the other team only has one or two players that match up with us.

So you're from Shanley I'm taking it. I see. Otherwise you respect Shanley because of some sort of relations...
L00PS
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball18 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:42 pm

just because you have the most talent doesn't make you the best team, what matters in the end is execution and that's what Shanley did best
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby trigger » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:18 pm

baseball18 wrote:just because you have the most talent doesn't make you the best team, what matters in the end is execution and that's what Shanley did best

Shanley executed their game plan, kick the ball out of bounds, foul in mid field, wait for the wind in the second half, get the ball to their goal scorer, score and move every body back and kick the ball out of bounds. I do give the Shanley coach credit, he knew he had one chance of winning and the game plan was executed to perfection. Too bad the North coach didn't have a game plan to execute. I agree talent doesn't make the best team, I was hoping for a better soccer match, use of soccer skills, such as passing to a teammate verus seeing how far you can kick the ball out of bounds, and how many subs Shanley had ready to go everytime the ball went out of bounds to use time. The execution worked!
trigger
NDPreps Reserve

Postby GFRR99 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:56 pm

the north/south game was one of the most intense games i have ever seen in person period. south should've won and deserved a state champs, hence there undefeated record in north dakota during the regular season.

the championship game was sad. both teams did not look impressive at all. the only positive part of the game is that the whole stadium was full and could be the highest attendence for a north dakota soccer game ever. north's hunter row should be embarrassed with himself. he had a wide open night and passed it like a chick and was kicked saved by a defender.

the best 3 teams in the state tournament, shanley, north, and south, were all better last year in the 2007 season though. any of those 3 teams from 2007 would have hands down won the state tournament this year. the state was down in soccer this year but it should better next year. hopefully the west can put up a little better of an effort next year.

and to those who said sam rydell lost the game for north, he was screened and the shot by glozoga was not bad for right footer shooting left footed, it was right to the side netting and wouldve been a tough save even if rydell wasnt screened
GFRR99
NDPreps All-State

Postby soccer09 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:04 pm

after seeing a copy of the tape, if row would have blasted a shot it would have hit shanleys goalie in the chest....he got it past the keep best he could, but a shanley defender hustled. id also note that with that strength of wind perfectly crisp play is almost impossible.... stmarys- shanley and north- south both were goood possession, high intensity games. im interested to see how 09 plays out--- will the west bounce back?? century should be good again?
soccer09
NDPreps Starter

Postby formersoccerplayer » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:21 am

I still love reading these posts about the championship game.

Still make me laugh about being disappointed that the Championship game wasn't a good soccer game.

Yes. It wasn't a good soccer game. ND Championship soccer games rarely are. The coaches and the players don't want to take too many chances, and the teams are very evenly matched. This doesn't allow for the fun dynamics that usually occur in the game of soccer.

In my opinion, the best games of the tournament can be found in the group stages. Like soccer09 said, the St. Mary's-Shanley and North-South games were really fun to watch.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Soccer