2008 Soccer

Re: 2008 Soccer

Postby formersoccerplayer » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:41 am

St. Mary's Beat Century in penalty kicks to win the WDA title!

If I'm not mistaken that means the state pools will look something like this:

Pool 1
- 1W - St. Mary's
- 2E - Shanley
- 3W - BHS
- 4E - Fargo North

Pool 2
- 1E - Fargo South
- 2W - Century
- 3E - GF Central
- 4W - Jamestown

Predictions

Championship Game - South 2, Shanley 1
Third Place Game - St. Mary's 2, Century 0
Fifth Place Game - North 3, Central 2

Mr. Soccer: Michael Gilchrist, GK, St. Mary's

My thoughts on my predictions. Pool 1 participants all probably breathed a sigh of relief when they avoided South. Except that there are 3 strong teams and 1 good team in that pool now. Even though I put Shanley up in the Championship match, it could easily be North or SM. BHS won't make the championship but they could play well and get into the 3rd place game.

Pool 2 is pretty straightforward. Jamestown is terrible they will go 0-3. On the other end, South is the best team in this group bar-none. Only an upset will prevent them from going to the championship. I think that the Central-Century match will be a good match, and will probably determine who goes to the 3rd place game.

Players To Watch: Gilchrist and Fernandes SM, Binegar and Hovland BHS, Pomonis and Frenzel CHS, South's Offense, Reberg and Lapka North, Golgoza Shanley,
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby soccerislife5 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:05 am

This same thing happended to century last year and look how they ended up. I think they have a chance to upset south if they play at their best. Last time they played south they lost 3 1 after they played a full game and frenzel didnt even get to play due to an injury from warm ups. If they play to their fullest i think century has a chance. i would like to see st marys and century in the final
soccerislife5

Postby Baller » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:31 am

Anyone have the actually schedule of what time the games are played?
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby formersoccerplayer » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:46 am

PS - My predictions are unbiased. I would like to see Century and SM in the final as well. I dont think it will happen though.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby formersoccerplayer » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:53 am

http://www2.edutech.nodak.edu/edcsite/B ... occer.html

Tournament Schedule.

I will be watching the following games this weekend...

Thursday
Century v. North
SM v. Central

Friday
Century v. South
SM v. Shanley
South v. North
SM v. Bismarck

Saturday
All of the games

This will change depending on the circumstances, but I will be avoiding Jamestown games, and even though they are good teams, I don't BHS or Central are that much fun to watch.

Saturday
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby soccer09 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:00 pm

EDIT: after checking the edc site for the schedule i read the tiebreakers, so i dont need those now.

seeing as how north, not central, is the east number 3 seed, i think that changes up your consideration of the pools quite a bit. I'd agree with South Versus Shanley in the final, but i think North or Century versus St. Mary's in 3rd place game. does anyone have a clear outline of the tiebreakers for teams that each go 2-1?

In pool play: South 3-0
North 2-1
Century 1-2
Jamestown 0-3

Shanley 3-0
St Mary's 2-1
BHS 1-2
Central 0-3

Although I could be easily underranking grand forks. How did bismarck high do at the torunament? i havnt seen them play since the beginning of the year. grand forks came on really strong the last few weeks of the season, so if every team in the non south pool suffered at least 1 loss it wouldnt surprise me. Almost reminds me of 2 years ago when every team had a shot at making every game going into the final game.
soccer09
NDPreps Starter

Postby Baller » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:12 pm

I really think the third place game will go to North of Century...whoever gets in..

The Shanley/St. Mary's game poses an interesting match-up. While I think SM will choke once again, I am not sure at what point that will happen.
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby L00PS » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:24 pm

I'm still thinking the heavily favored Fargo South will take the title this year. However, there is always an upset from somebody... I'm thinking that maybe St. Mary's will pull off the upset against Shanley (to get to Championship), and/or Century over North (for 3rd place), or could South themselves get upset? There's always a possibility. You always have to keep an open mind when it comes to the state title. I think that it will come down to finishing your chances & whoever's defense and goalie is the hottest. Defense wins championships and Offense sells the tickets. I just want to finish by saying good luck to all the players and hoping for a fun and interesting State Tournament this year.
L00PS
NDPreps Reserve

Postby formersoccerplayer » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:00 pm

L00PS wrote:I'm still thinking the heavily favored Fargo South will take the title this year. However, there is always an upset from somebody... I'm thinking that maybe St. Mary's will pull off the upset against Shanley (to get to Championship), and/or Century over North (for 3rd place), or could South themselves get upset? There's always a possibility. You always have to keep an open mind when it comes to the state title. I think that it will come down to finishing your chances & whoever's defense and goalie is the hottest. Defense wins championships and Offense sells the tickets. I just want to finish by saying good luck to all the players and hoping for a fun and interesting State Tournament this year.

St. Mary's tied Shanley 3-3 during the West Fargo Invite. Shanley came back from 2 down in the second half, so they aren't necessarily complete and total favorites.

What kills St. Mary's is their lack of outside midfielders or defense. They are strong up the middle with the likes of Fernandes, Fladeland, Stecher, Goebel, and Bartsch, but they aren't too deep and their outside defenders are especially disappointing. But they have the best keeper/player in the state in Gilchrist. Shanley has Golgoza (spelling?), and they play very well together as a team.

South is really the only team from the East that is miles above anyone from the West. Shanley and North are equal to SM and Century, while BHS is equal to Central.

I don't think South will get upset, they have been solid all year, and have never looked like they were going to lose in conference. They will be champs, but the other spots are up for grabs.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby JGFan » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:23 am

I agree that South is solid, has been all year in conference play, and unlikely to be beaten by any ND team-- except themselves--but could easily be upset by the inconsistant referree situations they seem to have when they play, which could take them off their game. So, just saying they could be beaten but not just by a team, it will take some "help".
JGFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby skillzz21 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:33 pm

Does anyone know who the player of the year from the west is?
skillzz21

Postby Baller » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:43 pm

skillzz21 wrote:Does anyone know who the player of the year from the west is?

Michael Gilchrest of SM...Who is it from the east?
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby formersoccerplayer » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:51 pm

JGFan wrote:I agree that South is solid, has been all year in conference play, and unlikely to be beaten by any ND team-- except themselves--but could easily be upset by the inconsistant referree situations they seem to have when they play, which could take them off their game. So, just saying they could be beaten but not just by a team, it will take some "help".

You mean the inconsistent referee situations that every team East or West seemed to have this year?
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby blob » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:07 pm

http://www2.edutech.nodak.edu/edcsite/B ... occer.html

-All EDC and EDC Player of the Year was Schell
blob
NDPreps Reserve

Postby soccer09 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:12 pm

congratulations to andy. Because of his size and skill he makes it extremely hard to score on south, not withstanding the other talented south players, i thought redinger would be souths nominee, but. Schells a good player. my initial thought process was that it seemed that offensively they were more spread out, but if redinger was out for a game they would be more negatively impacted. congrats to andy though, hope he gets it.

day 2 predictions? st marys came up huge coming back from a goal down versus central. Tomorrow Features A North v South Matchup that likely will be winner goes to championship... huge game. the shanley st marys game should be great, high scoring tie last time.
soccer09
NDPreps Starter

Postby blob » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:35 pm

Just wondering how all conference is selected? I know the whole each team gets X number of representatives based on their record, but who selects the players from the team?

Interestingly enough I was selected this year, and Im a little stunned as to why.
blob
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bin128 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:19 pm

blob wrote:Just wondering how all conference is selected? I know the whole each team gets X number of representatives based on their record, but who selects the players from the team?

Interestingly enough I was selected this year, and Im a little stunned as to why.

Each coach nominates a number of players from their team, then they are voted on by the conference coaches.
bin128
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lovefutbol » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:25 am

I heard that all-conference is picked by each coach individually. South was first so they had X. Shanley was second to they had X-1. North was third so they had X-2. Each team has a certain number of picks and the coach just picks his or her players to fill the number.
lovefutbol
NDPreps Reserve

Postby formersoccerplayer » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:12 pm

Great State Tournament!

Shanley runs out 1-0 victors over North. Golgoza scored the winner in the second half.

Congratulations Shanley!

I think that teams that should be happy with their performance this weekend should be Shanley, North, and BHS. Teams that will be a little disappointed will be South, Century, and St. Mary's.

Shanley did well against BHS and St. Mary's in the group stages. Played well in the championship. They were a true team. They will be the team to beat next year.

North didn't always play well but they found a way to win. Usually that is down to senior leadership. I would be lauding Reberg more, but he went insane in the last seconds of the final and shoved the center referee! It was a childish move...

BHS was one of the youngest teams and they performed well. Fourth place in state is good accomplishment for Tim Green's kids. Look for them to be the team to beat in two years.

South expected to be in the championship. They were unfortunate not to be. They played well but they will be disappointed with third.

CHS and SM were aiming for at least the championship/third place games. They didn't play their best/got unlucky.

The other teams played well.

Looking forward to next year.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby blob » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:47 pm

Shanley's goal in the championship was extremely weak, and if the keeper put any effort into the save he should have been able to get a hand on it.

Congrats to Schell for Senior of the year
blob
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lovefutbol » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:18 pm

I don't think there was a better "team" than Shanley. They deserved to win, although the title game did involve a bit of luck. They had players hurt and the reffing was a little lopsided in North's favor during the championship game. I'm still not sure if they are the team to beat next year.
lovefutbol
NDPreps Reserve

Postby soccer09 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:16 pm

considering the team only had four seniors, and two were out with injuries in the championship game, you have to like their chances. everyone in the game but two players is back, and the chemistry will only improve. congrats to the 2008 Shanley Deacons, State Champs.
soccer09
NDPreps Starter

Postby L00PS » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:16 am

Great Tournament to all the Teams!

The State Championship game was quite embarrassing to watch to be honest. Poor reffing on North's part of the deal, Shanley was playing "boot ball" after they scored their only goal and had 8 defenders at the end of the game, it was a slow paced game, Pat Reberg with a red card at the end for pushing the ref, and the list goes on.

The North/South game was very interesting. South simply out-played North and they knew that they should not have won that game. The game had poor reffing and made an impact on South.

Shanley/St. Mary's game was just an all around good game to watch. Ben Fowler from Shanley put it away on a breakaway... what an awesome overtime finish.

Bismarck/Century game was very interesting as well. Well played by BHS to force a Shootout and pull off the victory. Way to go guys!

Century/St. Mary's game was kind of depressing to watch. Simply because there was no will from either team to win the 5th place game. Both teams knew that they should've at least made it to the 3rd place game.

Like I said before, the team who would finish their chances and the team who would have the hottest goalie would win the State Championship. Shanley obviously did that and won. They also had some luck on their side with that poor effort by GK Sam Rydell in the Championship.

Shanley knows that they could beat North in the Championship, but i think if South would've made it instead of North, South would have definately showed Shanley who was boss. Just my opinion.

The games turned out to be very non-expected and mumbo-jumbo, but all-in-all, great tournament!
L00PS
NDPreps Reserve

Postby soccer1 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:36 am

Congrates to Shanley. I agree that it was boom ball and pack it in back and was kind of boring. I just do not understand why the refing has to be so bad at these tournaments. Just not consistent at all.
I think everyone realizes that South was the best team by far, but the best team doesn't always win.

I think the all tournament team is a joke in itself. How do you leave a player like mike reidinger (spelling) off that list!!!!! Not sure what they are looking at but not the first time I had said this.

All in all a great boys soccer year and looking forward to next year.
soccer1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby formersoccerplayer » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:54 am

Refereeing is always going to be inconsistent. You have 9 different guys as referees, it's bound to happen.

I don't think refereeing decided any of the matches.

Like someone said earlier Shanley was the best "team". They also got the luck, the bounces, and they had the skill to win the state championship.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Soccer