Best First Baseman in the state

Best First Baseman in the state

Postby Souixfan » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:11 am

Just wondering what everybody is thinking?
Souixfan

Re: Best First Baseman in the state

Postby NDbballfan123 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:32 pm

Shane Stafford from New Rockford is pretty good and only getting better, great glove at first and good arm pitching. I do believe he was 2nd on the team in batting average last year
NDbballfan123
NDPreps Starter

Postby thatguy422 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:22 pm

Tyler Schwan from Surrey has the best glove I've seen at first base. Digs em out of the dirt all the time. Hit around .400 in high school ball and around .450 in summer ball.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NE B-Baller 242 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:39 am

NDbballfan123 wrote:Shane Stafford from New Rockford is pretty good and only getting better, great glove at first and good arm pitching. I do believe he was 2nd on the team in batting average last year

I live about one hour from NR and I've never heard of this guy
If winning isn't everything why do we keep score?
NE B-Baller 242
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:59 am

He's listed on Maxpreps as one of two Soph's on the team last year. Pitcher and First Base
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDBaseball17 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:20 pm

Is Tyler Schwan a Sr.? and another one that could be named is Jacob Goldade from Harvey if he still does play first. I know he has a good arm pitching and has a pretty good bat too. I think him and Stafford are the same age. Anyone know what Goldade batted last year?
NDBaseball17

Postby Souixfan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:25 pm

Zac Woodbridge from midkota is pretty good. his arm is not so great but he always digs them out of the dirt. kinda bad hitter tho.
Last edited by Souixfan on Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Souixfan

Postby The Schwab » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:30 pm

Souixfan wrote:Zac Woodbridge from midkota is pretty good. his arm is not so great but he always digs them out of the dirt. kinda bad hitter tho.

who?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby thatguy422 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:06 pm

NDBaseball17 wrote:Is Tyler Schwan a Sr.?

Yep, sure is.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Souixfan » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:00 pm

The Schwab wrote:
Souixfan wrote:Zac Woodbridge from midkota is pretty good. his arm is not so great but he always digs them out of the dirt. kinda bad hitter tho.

who?

hes from midkota, hes not well known but hes deserves some credit.
Souixfan

Postby The Schwab » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:22 pm

Souixfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

who?

This topic is best first baseman in the state....throw out some numbers if your going to throw out a kid from a team that won 5 games.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby BballFan1307 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:17 pm

if this is the kid that played for cooperstowns babe ruth this summer than you are completely off here, there team was bad. he wasnt good, he doesnt belong in a topic " best first baseman in the state"
BballFan1307
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby NC_408 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:50 pm

The Schwab wrote:
Souixfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

who?

This topic is best first baseman in the state....throw out some numbers if your going to throw out a kid from a team that won 5 games.

i agree this kid is not that good at all the only reason he got to play was because Josh Quick was needed at other positions otherwise he would have been riding the pine. he did not scoop the ball out of the dirt. maybe like one of every 10 he did and he also led the team in strike outs and he has no arm at all. Josh Quick was prolly one of the best but he graduated now and i believe he is playing at the next level at MSUM. his first year of legion he hit .480 led the team in assists and was third in RBIs while playing first base as Grigs county took third at the state tourney. His junior year he hit .333 had only 5 errors all year and led the team in assists at first base. He also won the teams defense award that year and was second in RBIs with i believe 17 in only 15 games he was injured and missed a few games. His senior year he hit somewhere around .380 i cant remember for sure. Led the team in RBIs and assists and also took home the defense award again while splitting time between first and second base he had a total of i believe 8 errors. And woodbridge could be good if he listened to Quick at all and watched him do work at first base. But i dont think even Justin Morneau could help this kid at first.
Last edited by NC_408 on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
NC_408
NDPreps Starter

Postby basebizzal » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:09 pm

NC_408 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
Souixfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

who?

i agree this kid is not that good at all the only reason he got to play was because Josh Quick was needed at other positions otherwise he would have been riding the pine. he did not scoop the ball out of the dirt maybe like 15 percent of the time he did and he also led the team in strike outs and he has no arm at all. Josh Quick was prolly one of the best but he graduated now and i believe he is playing at the next level at MSUM. his first year of legion he hit .480 led the team in assists and was third in RBIs while playing first base as Grigs county took third at the state tourney. His junior year he hit .333 had only 5 errors all year and led the team in assists at first base. He also won the teams defense award that year and was second in RBIs with i believe 17 in only 15 games he was injured and missed a few games. His senior year he hit somewhere around .380 i cant remember for sure. Led the team in RBIs and assists and also took home the defense award again while splitting time between first and second base he had a total of i believe 8 errors. And woodbridge could be good if he listened to Quick at all and watched him do work at first base. But i dont think even Justin Morneau could help this kid at first.
where did u whip out these stats?
basebizzal
NDPreps Starter

Postby uconn_8 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:19 pm

thatguy422 wrote:Tyler Schwan from Surrey has the best glove I've seen at first base. Digs em out of the dirt all the time. Hit around .400 in high school ball and around .450 in summer ball.

First of all, Tyler Schwan did not hit those numbers. No way. I like the kid but he is a .300 hitter at best. I don't know how they do their hitting stats in Surrey.

And why is there discussion on how good these first baseman's are defensively? Yes, a good first baseman can make a difference, but its probably the easiest position on the field to play defensively, definitely the easiest on the infield. How many team's "star" players in high school play 1st base? Not many, that's because other positions require ALOT more skill (not just catching the ball).
uconn_8
NDPreps Starter

Postby thatguy422 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:25 pm

uconn_8 wrote:
thatguy422 wrote:Tyler Schwan from Surrey has the best glove I've seen at first base. Digs em out of the dirt all the time. Hit around .400 in high school ball and around .450 in summer ball.

First of all, Tyler Schwan did not hit those numbers. No way. I like the kid but he is a .300 hitter at best. I don't know how they do their hitting stats in Surrey.

And why is there discussion on how good these first baseman's are defensively? Yes, a good first baseman can make a difference, but its probably the easiest position on the field to play defensively, definitely the easiest on the infield. How many team's "star" players in high school play 1st base? Not many, that's because other positions require ALOT more skill (not just catching the ball).

Well I was just saying the stats I saw on our stats sheets. I believe them to be accurate.

Oh, and when the topic is best first baseman in the state, how can you not include defense? That's half the game. We are not comparing their defense to a shortstops defense. And scooping the ball out of the dirt is extremely hard. I don't know if you have ever tried. First base is as hard as the other infielders make it. If your other infielders dont make errors, yes it's easy, but if your other infielders throw it in the dirt all the time it is extremely hard.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby uconn_8 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:52 pm

Scooping a ball out of the dirt is far from "extremely hard"
uconn_8
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:00 pm

uconn_8 wrote:Scooping a ball out of the dirt is far from "extremely hard"

Never played first base did you. Try picking an inbetween hop with a runner rounding 3rd and you know you have to pick it clean, stretch, keep your foot on the bag, and make a throw home.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby uconn_8 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:57 pm

My junior year I played every position on the field, literally, at one point during legion and high school. Yes, there are your occasional tough plays like the one you described, but as far as difficulty of plays on a regular basis its the easiest in the infield.
uconn_8
NDPreps Starter

Postby NC_408 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:13 am

basebizzal wrote:
NC_408 wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
Souixfan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

who?

i agree this kid is not that good at all the only reason he got to play was because Josh Quick was needed at other positions otherwise he would have been riding the pine. he did not scoop the ball out of the dirt maybe like 15 percent of the time he did and he also led the team in strike outs and he has no arm at all. Josh Quick was prolly one of the best but he graduated now and i believe he is playing at the next level at MSUM. his first year of legion he hit .480 led the team in assists and was third in RBIs while playing first base as Grigs county took third at the state tourney. His junior year he hit .333 had only 5 errors all year and led the team in assists at first base. He also won the teams defense award that year and was second in RBIs with i believe 17 in only 15 games he was injured and missed a few games. His senior year he hit somewhere around .380 i cant remember for sure. Led the team in RBIs and assists and also took home the defense award again while splitting time between first and second base he had a total of i believe 8 errors. And woodbridge could be good if he listened to Quick at all and watched him do work at first base. But i dont think even Justin Morneau could help this kid at first.
where did u whip out these stats?

I am a personal friend of Quick's former coach Rick Christenson Ross Bollingberg was also a very talented first baseman according to rick not sure on stats though
NC_408
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:22 am

those stats seem quite a bit inflated....i've seen him play...and wasn't that impressed.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby mrm » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:49 pm

uconn_8 wrote:First of all, Tyler Schwan did not hit those numbers. No way. I like the kid but he is a .300 hitter at best. I don't know how they do their hitting stats in Surrey.

Surrey does stats like everywhere else... if you get 4 hits in 10 at bats you have a .400 average. No bonus points or deductions for style. You probably saw Schwan in 1 or 2 games. He doesn't look like he should hit, but he is very consistent. He was one of Surreys best hitters in both HS and legion. He doesn't get noticed much because he bats 6 or 7. Why? He doesn't have much power so he doesn't bat in the 3-5 spots. He's very slow on the base path, so he doesn't bat 1 or 2. But the averages posted are correct.

Let's assume some of the kids being discussed in this thread are left handed (like Schwan). Where else on the infield are you going to play them? Schwan is a good enough fielder that when the legion coach was giving out awards, several team members asked him to give an extra award this year - a "gold glove" award for Schwan. He agreed and made up the award. Schwan was also voted on the Region 6 "All Region Team" in high school by the coaches.

uconn_8 wrote:Scooping a ball out of the dirt is far from "extremely hard"

Tell that to the Tampa Bay Rays. Game five ALCS against Boston. Bottom of 9th, tie game, two outs. Ground ball to Longoria, he throws it in the dirt to first. If Pena digs the ball out the Rays get to go extras, and maybe close the series out in five games. He can't dig it, and Youkalis ends up scoring the winning run. Instead of winning the series 4-1, Tampa gets stretched to 7 games by Boston. Would you care to re-evaluate that statement?
mrm
NDPreps Reserve

Postby uconn_8 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:38 am

Read my previous post, I did rephrase it. First base does get the occasional difficult hop. But as far as having to make hard plays on a day-to-day basis, its an easier position. You're gonna tell me that shortstop, third base or catcher is easier? You could make an argument for 2nd base being easier than first, that's a closer call.

And I watched Schwan play more than 1-2 games, probably 7-8. Not a .400 hitter, not at all. His swing is just too loopy. And who doesn't make the all region team? half the region does and half doesnt...literally, its about that bad. They should cut it down to 10 players.
uconn_8
NDPreps Starter

Postby thatguy422 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:54 pm

uconn_8 wrote:And I watched Schwan play more than 1-2 games, probably 7-8. Not a .400 hitter, not at all. His swing is just too loopy.

His swing is funny looking I know that, but he still gets a hit 4/10 times. I've seen every game he's played in the last year. The stats are right.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby uconn_8 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:30 pm

Well I guess everyone else here can take your word for it. But idk the last time I saw a .400 hitter in high school(especially with wood bats now) batting number 7 in an order on a team that doesn't make it to state.

And I'm sure the worst player on your team (who's taking book) knows the real difference b/w getting on base and a hit. Most people on this site would agree with that.
uconn_8
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Class B