2008 Soccer

Re: 2008 Soccer

Postby formersoccerplayer » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:57 am

With Shanley's win over Central they have pretty much guaranteed themselves a state berth. 8 points, or 4 wins, like I said at the beginning of the season is what would do it.

This makes Tuesday's game between Central and West Fargo absolutely huge! Central is one point ahead of West Fargo, and if West Fargo can win or tie Central it is going to come right down to the wire.

You kind have to think this is a must-win for West Fargo.

Central's remaining games: West Fargo, Shanley, RR

West Fargo's remaining games: Central, Shanley, South
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby lovefutbol » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:24 pm

The next couple of weeks should be interesting to watch. It will be the second time each team has played each other. Plus, spots 2-5 in the EDC are all still up for grabs.
lovefutbol
NDPreps Reserve

Postby formersoccerplayer » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:28 pm

Well the East region is all but decided after last night...

South, North, Shanley, and Central will be going to state in that order.

The west won't be decided until after the tournament, but I think it will be St. Mary's, Century, BHS, and Minot in that order.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby soccer09 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:43 pm

i find your pronunciation North will be ahead of Shanley at the end interesting. Both teams are tied at 10 points and have two games left; North, versus South and Red River; Shanley, versus West Fargo and Grand Forks Central. Undoubtedly North losing to Red River seems illogical, but are you predicting North will beat South? or that Shanley will somehow get swept? I think the most likely scenario is Shanley getting 2 wins and north 1, although even if shanley only gets 1 it still would go to a tiebreaker. Does anyone know what tiebreaker is for teams that split their regular season series?
soccer09
NDPreps Starter

Postby formersoccerplayer » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:20 pm

It depends on how well Central and West Fargo come out to play against Shanley.

North has looked better and better as the season goes on, and for them to come out and beat/tie South isn't impossible.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby L00PS » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:02 am

North seems to have been streaky this year... last thursday tieing GFRR? I think all the teams this year rise/lower their skill level depending on their opponent.

Just some scores from this past weekend.
Fargo South 2, Bismarck High 0
Fargo South 3, Bismarck Century 1
Fargo North 4, Bismarck High 1
Bismarck Century 2, Fargo North 0
Moorhead (MN) 3, West Fargo 0
GF Central 2, Detroit Lakes (MN) 2

In the EDC,
South (16 points) 8-0-0
North (11 points) 4-2-3
Shanley (10 points) 5-4-0
GF Central (9 points) 3-3-3

Very tight for that second spot in the EDC. All depends on this up-coming week and how the teams do.
Lots of possible outcomes...
L00PS
NDPreps Reserve

Postby formersoccerplayer » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:46 pm

Judging by the cross conference results, I think the favorites for the state tournament is South. If St. Mary's plays up to their potential they can definitely challenge South.

Century and North are outside contenders.

I don't see the other teams being factors in the championship match, but one of RR, Central, and BHS could make a run to the 3rd place game.

The 4th place team from the West won't win a game at State.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby GFRR99 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:44 pm

formersoccerplayer wrote:Judging by the cross conference results, I think the favorites for the state tournament is South. If St. Mary's plays up to their potential they can definitely challenge South.

I don't see the other teams being factors in the championship match, but one of RR, Central, and BHS could make a run to the 3rd place game.

st. mary's isnt very good, the west is way down this year. i predict an all east championship or else maybe century could sneak in if they are not on souths pool play side.

rr? they arent making state..they didnt win an edc game all year

the race for 2nd place is huge. whoever gets 3rd is gonna have a real tough time making the championship because they'll have to go through south.

i predict south vs. shanley/north..whoever gets 2nd place in the east
GFRR99
NDPreps All-State

Postby L00PS » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:26 pm

If South beats North, and Shanley and GF Central win their games on tuesday, would it be possible for North to take the 4th seed in EDC? Because GF Central tied North 0-0 and 2-2 in their regular season games and North lost to Shanley, and Shanley lost to GF Central. Just curious in how that would all play out. This is kind of confusing.

Here are the rules on the tiebraker.

1. Most wins in head to head competition.
2. Most goals scored head to head competition.
3. Most wins against the highest ranked team in the region.
(Next team below if teams are tied for first)
4. Most favorable differential in points versus a region team beginning
with the highest ranked team. If still tied, the 2nd place team, etc. down
the rankings until the tie is broken.
5. Most favorable differential in goals versus a region team beginning with
the highest ranked team. If still tied, the 2nd place team, etc. down the
rankings until the tie is broken.
6. Coin Flip by NDHSAA representative.

This Week is HUGE!!!
L00PS
NDPreps Reserve

Postby formersoccerplayer » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:22 pm

GFRR99 wrote:
formersoccerplayer wrote:Judging by the cross conference results, I think the favorites for the state tournament is South. If St. Mary's plays up to their potential they can definitely challenge South.

st. mary's isnt very good, the west is way down this year. i predict an all east championship or else maybe century could sneak in if they are not on souths pool play side.

rr? they arent making state..they didnt win an edc game all year

the race for 2nd place is huge. whoever gets 3rd is gonna have a real tough time making the championship because they'll have to go through south.

i predict south vs. shanley/north..whoever gets 2nd place in the east

Doh, I don't know what I was thinking.

St. Mary's isn't awesome, but they are the best team from the West. They are just as good as Shanley and North, and on a good day could play with South.

It will be hard to make predictions yet, because the placement of teams in pools make a big difference.

So let's say the WDA finishes like this...

CHS, SM, BHS, Minot

and the East finishes like this...

South, Shanley, North, Central

The pools would look like this then...

Pool 1 - CHS, BHS, Shanley, Central
Pool 2 - SM, Minot, South, North

Either way pool play will be tight like always, and it will come down on who is having the best weekend. Injuries, form, home-field advantage, crowd, and luck will play a huge part in the tournament this season, because apart from South (who isn't outstanding) there isn't another top team.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby stoaxc2004 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:18 am

Where is State at this year?
stoaxc2004

Postby L00PS » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:48 pm

State is in Fargo this year. At the Pepsi complex. The Championship, 3rd place, and 5th place game are going to be played at Fargo North's home stadium however.
L00PS
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball18 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:50 pm

L00PS wrote:State is in Fargo this year. At the Pepsi complex. The Championship, 3rd place, and 5th place game are going to be played at Fargo North's home stadium however.

what are the dates for state? If SM can stay healthy they can play with South... Didn't they tie with South this season? I think the state championship will be either South-SM or South-Century... this could be the year SM ends their soccer curse
baseball18
NDPreps All-State

Postby Baller » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:13 pm

baseball18 wrote:
L00PS wrote:State is in Fargo this year. At the Pepsi complex. The Championship, 3rd place, and 5th place game are going to be played at Fargo North's home stadium however.

what are the dates for state? If SM can stay healthy they can play with South... Didn't they tie with South this season? I think the state championship will be either South-SM or South-Century... this could be the year SM ends their soccer curse

Not as long as Mueller coaching that SM will win a championship...choke master
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby skillzz21 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:54 pm

South has to be the favorite to win state they just returned two very good players from suspention in barjalo barjalo and archie soe. They beat high and century last weekend and north tonight dominating everygame without their sweeper mike redinger playing, who is by far the best defender in the state along with many other of their top guys not playing the whole game. They are very deep and talented if they play well should role through the tournement.
skillzz21

Postby L00PS » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:21 pm

baseball18 wrote:

The dates for state are October 16, 17, and 18th. Thursday, Friday, & Saturday. South played SM their first game of the season at the crossover i believe... And yes they did tie. 1-1. I personally dont think that SM is a bad team. They have some talent, but not as much as South. South is a very dominate contender for the state title this year. I would really like to see SM beat South. But the chances of that happening are slim to none since the West has played so few games against the East this year. I feel that the West or the East won't know what to expect from each other. It should be interesting at the state tourney.
L00PS
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lovefutbol » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:27 pm

I would have to agree about South. South has a lot of talent, but they did the last few years as well. You can't take anything for granted in soccer. People get hurt, the weather can struggle, the reffing can struggle, goalkeepers hit or miss. Weird things happen. Although South has won most of their games, they have had some close scores. Don't give them the trophy yet.
lovefutbol
NDPreps Reserve

Postby L00PS » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:36 am

Well, after last night... These are the top 4 seeds from the EDC in the correct order I believe.

1) South
2)Shanley
3)North
4)Central

Central is only placed forth because of a single goal differential. North lost to Shanley 3-2 and beat Shanley 2-1. GF Central lost to Shanley 4-2 and beat Shanley 2-1. VERY close race for all 3 of those spots this year. I was amazed. All that's left is the State Tournament.

Anybody know anything about the WDC? Scores? Updates?
Last edited by L00PS on Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L00PS
NDPreps Reserve

Postby JGFan » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:11 am

According to Bismarck Tribune, WDA results:
1. St. Mary's (tied Cent, win tie breaker by win+tie vs Cent)
1. Century
3. Bismarck
4. Minot
5. Mandan
6. Jamestown

#3 Bism plays #6 Jmst for playin game Friday
#4 Minot plays #5 Mandan for playin game Friday

Those winners play SM/Cent for State pairings (all advance).
JGFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby L00PS » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:35 pm

Last edited by L00PS on Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L00PS
NDPreps Reserve

Postby formersoccerplayer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:04 pm

JGFan wrote:According to Bismarck Tribune, WDA results:
1. St. Mary's (tied Cent, win tie breaker by win+tie vs Cent)
1. Century
3. Bismarck
4. Minot
5. Mandan
6. Jamestown

#3 Bism plays #6 Jmst for playin game Friday
#4 Minot plays #5 Mandan for playin game Friday

Those winners play SM/Cent for State pairings (all advance).

I think

St. Mary's will play the winner of Minot/Mandan

Century will play the winner of Bismarck/Jamestown

The losers of the play-in games go to the loser-out game, unless they changed the format. Then the losers in the WDA semi-finals go to the loser-out games.

Regarding State. South has the most talent and the best athletes, they are the obvious favorites. After South the other probable state participants are sooooo close it's hard to separate them. Central, North, Shanley, BHS, SM, and Century are all average teams with a couple decent players each. Minot is awful and pretty much makes it into state by default.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised to see Shanley, Century, or SM in the championship game against South. I don't see Central, North, or BHS having what it takes to make it to the championship game, but any of them could make the third place game.

Expect a lot of overtime games. Expect a lot of close games. There aren't really any major powerhouses after South, so all these teams should go into the tournament thinking they have a chance to do well. It may be a down year for soccer, but the state tournament will provide some drama.

All the boys will do themselves proud, here's hoping to no major incidents of bad blood.

On another note, my heart goes out to the Shanley captain who got hurt during their Central match. Eye injuries are tough.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby lovefutbol » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:52 pm

As soon as we know the seeding in the WDA, I want to hear some predictions.
lovefutbol
NDPreps Reserve

Postby formersoccerplayer » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:12 pm

lovefutbol wrote:As soon as we know the seeding in the WDA, I want to hear some predictions.

We should know by tomorrow night.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby 12345 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:27 pm

any word on how the standings turned out?
NDPreps Reserve

Postby soccerislife5 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:48 pm

1 st marys
2 century
3 bismarck
4 jamestown
soccerislife5

PreviousNext

Return to Soccer