Premier Soccer

Premier Soccer

Postby trigger » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:46 pm

How will the addition of "Premier Soccer" by the Red River Soccer Club influence soccer in the state? As I understand the current situation those players in premier will not be playing with their competitive soccer teams during the summer. Each of the premier teams is a combo of two age groups 15/16 and 17/18 for both boys and girls. All players are eligible from North Dakota and Minnesota.
trigger
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Premier Soccer

Postby blob » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:51 pm

It was around last year with the Indoor tourneys and I didnt notice a differencein quality of the players. If anything it just kills summer club soccer all around the state, which is already having a tough time getting teams to play.
blob
NDPreps Reserve

Postby formersoccerplayer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:03 am

What effect does Premier Soccer have on high school soccer?
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby bin128 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:10 am

If ND is ever going to have any number of players playing at a higher college level, playing against better competition at the youth level is essential. A "premier" level team such as Red River is doing is a means to this. Hopefully teams eventually go to competitive winter tournaments, as well as gain entry into Midwest League, where they can play premier-level teams from throughout Region II (midwest).

Will our most skilled players make themselves better by playing the same players in ND repeatedly in summer tournament- and in HS? Hardly.
bin128
NDPreps Reserve

Postby JGFan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:26 pm

I agree with bin128 about players needing tougher competition to grow (esp vs only ND talent).
But the reality of this being successful is quite limited.
Good Luck in this.
Sounds like what has been tried before with ODP (Olympic Development Program) soccer. The problems are significant:
1. rarely enough local talent for a competitive team
2. geography issues to expanded team-practice time mainly limited
3. player committment for long term growth (constant turnover or smaller teams due to drops)
4. qualified coaches who will commit long term
5. cost of program plus massive travel costs, with time off jobs needed for same by players and parents
6. players giving up playing with friends/buddies to develop new ones (tough in high school- but hockey players do this with juniors)
JGFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby formersoccerplayer » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:32 am

bin128 wrote:If ND is ever going to have any number of players playing at a higher college level, playing against better competition at the youth level is essential. A "premier" level team such as Red River is doing is a means to this. Hopefully teams eventually go to competitive winter tournaments, as well as gain entry into Midwest League, where they can play premier-level teams from throughout Region II (midwest).

Will our most skilled players make themselves better by playing the same players in ND repeatedly in summer tournament- and in HS? Hardly.

At the same time. ND doesn't have tremendous talent year in and year out to compete with a premier level team. This year, for example, I would consider a low year in ND soccer. I think if you made two premier teams out of all high school ND players they would maybe compete against Montana and South Dakota, but it would be really tough.

I am opposed to the idea, just because I don't think many players will gain much from it, and it will basically make high school soccer for boys and girls completely boring and useless. If the best players are missing from their respective teams it won't be that nice to watch.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby bin128 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:26 am

My understanding is Red River will not take Premier players off HS teams. I don't even believe they will take them off their summer "competitive" teams. There are a number of higher-level playing opportunities within driving distance. The Twin Cities area has at least 8 full size turf fields covered by an air dome, and their Premier teams regularly look for winter games. Shattuck St. Mary's hosts games in their facility as well for teams from throughout the midwest.

As I stated, hopefully teams can eventually be admitted into Midwest Regional League. MRL games are held primarily in March and April, often in Rockford, IL or Muscatine, IA. The quality of competition is good, with one game per day- preferential to tournaments.

With ND's Summer season basically lasting 2 months, Premier does not present a threat to either HS or local club. It does, however give the higher skilled player an opportunity to raise their skill level. It will take time before they can compete well with teams from the region, but it is a step in the right direction.
bin128
NDPreps Reserve

Postby formersoccerplayer » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:54 pm

bin128 wrote:My understanding is Red River will not take Premier players off HS teams. I don't even believe they will take them off their summer "competitive" teams. There are a number of higher-level playing opportunities within driving distance. The Twin Cities area has at least 8 full size turf fields covered by an air dome, and their Premier teams regularly look for winter games. Shattuck St. Mary's hosts games in their facility as well for teams from throughout the midwest.

As I stated, hopefully teams can eventually be admitted into Midwest Regional League. MRL games are held primarily in March and April, often in Rockford, IL or Muscatine, IA. The quality of competition is good, with one game per day- preferential to tournaments.

With ND's Summer season basically lasting 2 months, Premier does not present a threat to either HS or local club. It does, however give the higher skilled player an opportunity to raise their skill level. It will take time before they can compete well with teams from the region, but it is a step in the right direction.

Okay, thanks for the information. Because I know when I used to play that I wasn't up to the quality of my top teammates, but it would have sucked to lose all them to a Premier team.

I am glad that isn't happening.
formersoccerplayer
NDPreps Starter

Postby trigger » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:29 am

bin128 wrote:My understanding is Red River will not take Premier players off HS teams. I don't even believe they will take them off their summer "competitive" teams. There are a number of higher-level playing opportunities within driving distance. The Twin Cities area has at least 8 full size turf fields covered by an air dome, and their Premier teams regularly look for winter games. Shattuck St. Mary's hosts games in their facility as well for teams from throughout the midwest.

From what I have heard premier cut 2 players out of the 170 who signed up after try outs. I don't think these 168 players are all higher skilled, I am sure many are, but not all. At a cost of $500 per player I am starting to wonder if this is about player development or club development! Who are the coaches and what are the coaches receiving as compensation? What is the ratio of coaches to players?
trigger
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bin128 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:35 pm

The majority of players were invited to try out, so I doubt few would be cut. I am uncertain if your statistics about teh number cut are accurate.

As far as coaches, Red River made a big step in the right direction by hiring a full time DOC. Other coaches will include Pete Cuadrado and John Ross from NDSU, both exceptional coaches.

As for cost- wake up. Do you really expect professional coaches to do this for free? I can assure you that a season with a Twin Cities area Premier team will cost a minimum of $1,000, probably closer to $2,000. Hopefully, Red River has woken up to the fact that if they want to develop quality players they need quality coaches- not having parents coach "competitive" teams.
bin128
NDPreps Reserve

Postby trigger » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:04 am

bin128 wrote:The majority of players were invited to try out, so I doubt few would be cut. I am uncertain if your statistics about teh number cut are accurate.

As far as coaches, Red River made a big step in the right direction by hiring a full time DOC. Other coaches will include Pete Cuadrado and John Ross from NDSU, both exceptional coaches.

As for cost- wake up. Do you really expect professional coaches to do this for free? I can assure you that a season with a Twin Cities area Premier team will cost a minimum of $1,000, probably closer to $2,000. Hopefully, Red River has woken up to the fact that if they want to develop quality players they need quality coaches- not having parents coach "competitive" teams.

I was able to check with a couple of current "premier" players and they confirmed they were aware of only 2 players being cut. No one was invited to try out, everyone was welcome to pay $25 to try out, no restrictions.
Define professional coaches, do you consider recent NDSU players as professional coaches?
Do you really think you can compare this premier to a Mpls premier team?
As far as cost, I am very awake. Players tell me they have over 20 on a team, with one coach, 20 x $500 is $10,000. Any tournaments players particpate in are extra and players cover the cost of the coaches particpation(hotel, food,transportation). Now at 1-2 two practices a week for 5-6 months please explain to me how this compares to Mpls premier
trigger
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bin128 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:06 pm

I have no affiliation with Red River. I do think it is time a club take the initiative to raise the bar of club soccer in ND.

I will tell you how it compares cost-wise with my experience of Mpls premier-level club soccer. For a season, with training starting 1-2 times a week in Feb, pay $400 for club fee and approximately $1200 in team fees (to pay coach and coach travel expenses). Any player travel fees are in addition to this. Season included two winter-spring tournaments and 3 MRL weekends in Spring, MN Premier League once per week in June- Mid July. In Twin Cities, there never seems to be a shortage of players (parents) who pay these high fees, as clubs generally have tryouts for Premier and turn players away.

ND is a long way from being able to compete with better Twin Cities clubs. If there are players (parents) willing to pay, why the heck not do it?
bin128
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Soccer