Class B All-State team

Class B All-State team

Postby baseball4life » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:14 pm

Finally i guess there is an all state team for class B, seems long over due to me.
Here are the players that made the all-state team:
Riley Beck-Munich
Blake Kaul-Washburn
Trenton Bruner-Velva
Seth Nichols-Dakota Prarie
James Olderbak-Lakota
Brooks Backes-Bishop Ryan
Clay Kallias-Bishop Ryan
Ben Kramer-Bishop Ryan
Anthony Kliniske-Grafton
Jordan Lutovsky-Grafton
Tanner Carpenter-North Border

Seems like a pretty solid list of players to me, any other thoughts on this?
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Class B All-State team

Postby gophers18 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:41 pm

Is this list in a newspaper? seems odd that it is out so late and who voted on this? none of the coaches in southeast ND knew about an all state team. just wondering then if it is legit.
gophers18

Postby baseball11 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:00 pm

Doesn't James Olderbak play class A in Devils Lake?
baseball11

Postby Hinsa » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:50 pm

gophers18 wrote:Is this list in a newspaper? seems odd that it is out so late and who voted on this? none of the coaches in southeast ND knew about an all state team. just wondering then if it is legit.

I would really like to know where this list came from as well - NDHSAA? Sportswriters?

And 3 Guys from Ryan??? No Holen? Doesn't seem like this was very well done.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:58 pm

scc wrote:
Hinsa wrote:
gophers18 wrote:Is this list in a newspaper? seems odd that it is out so late and who voted on this? none of the coaches in southeast ND knew about an all state team. just wondering then if it is legit.

I would really like to know where this list came from as well - NDHSAA? Sportswriters?

The award is not affiliated with the NDHSAA or the sportscasters and sportswriters.

So.....baseball4life is the one who made the list or what?
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby thatguy422 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:17 am

baseball11 wrote:Doesn't James Olderbak play class A in Devils Lake?

He plays for lakota in high school baseball but in the summer lakota doesn't have a legion team so they can go to either Devils Lake or Dakota Prairie I do believe. Don't quote me on that.
baseball wrote:
scc wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

The award is not affiliated with the NDHSAA or the sportscasters and sportswriters.

So.....baseball4life is the one who made the list or what?

I saw that list in the minot daily newspaper.
thatguy422
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:45 am

Who voted for the list tho is the question. if its not with the NDHSAA, sportscasters, or sportswriters, who is it? coaches? and someone posted there were coaches in some areas of the state who didnt even know about it so i doubt it was a coaches vote.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:57 am

baseball wrote:Who voted for the list tho is the question. if its not with the NDHSAA, sportscasters, or sportswriters, who is it? coaches? and someone posted there were coaches in some areas of the state who didnt even know about it so i doubt it was a coaches vote.

I believe it was the coaches who voted on it. There were some names that shouldn't have been their and some names that were left off.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Hinsa » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:36 pm

cubsfan wrote:
baseball wrote:Who voted for the list tho is the question. if its not with the NDHSAA, sportscasters, or sportswriters, who is it? coaches? and someone posted there were coaches in some areas of the state who didnt even know about it so i doubt it was a coaches vote.

I believe it was the coaches who voted on it. There were some names that shouldn't have been their and some names that were left off.

Interesting. I realize this was a first attempt at an All-State team, and that is a good thing. Now they need to improve the process. A list where only part of the state participates is worse than no list at all. Gotta figure out a way for ALL regions to be represented. Easy enough to do - organize a conference call with representation from each region and then build an all-state list.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball4life » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:41 pm

cubsfan wrote:

I though that it was a fairly legit list but that is my opinion. in your opinion who would you take off and who would you put on?
baseball4life
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:12 pm

baseball4life wrote:
cubsfan wrote:

I though that it was a fairly legit list but that is my opinion. in your opinion who would you take off and who would you put on?

Blake Kaul??
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby baseball » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:31 pm

That is true, but ive seen him play alot over the years and how he won that award still confuses me....
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby jtdc492 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:48 am

A player who hits around .750 and was one of their more dominant pitchers doesn't deserve to be on the All state team? Sounds like sour grapes.
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfootball06 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:01 pm

I got a chance to watch him at the East West game and how he hit .750 and was Senior Player of the Year is beyond me.
ndfootball06
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:34 pm

ndfootball06 wrote:I got a chance to watch him at the East West game and how he hit .750 and was Senior Player of the Year is beyond me.

Thank you, the guy who saw the .750 and the dominant average must only look at paper. good player, yes, but best in the state...no way. Klinske? Backas? Kallias? Holen? plenty of players I would take before Blake Kaul. them numbers are a little skewed too, im from that region and ill be the first to tell you....its bad.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby jtdc492 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:54 am

Batting .750 is still batting .750, and that was over the season, not one all star game. I'm not here to defend Blake Kaul, but come on, give the guy his due. Oh, and how do you skew statistics? Either he did it or he didn't. Weak region? Maybe- he still had to get hits. Is he as big and powerful as Kliniske? Obviously not, more consistent at the plate? Probably.
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Postby cubsfan » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:13 pm

I believe there were a couple of players from Haton-Northwood that made this list also. I know one was Ryan Pladson and I believe the other was Tyler Bilden? I might be wrong on Bilden.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baseball » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:54 pm

jtdc492 wrote:Batting .750 is still batting .750, and that was over the season, not one all star game. I'm not here to defend Blake Kaul, but come on, give the guy his due. Oh, and how do you skew statistics? Either he did it or he didn't. Weak region? Maybe- he still had to get hits. Is he as big and powerful as Kliniske? Obviously not, more consistent at the plate? Probably.

course of 30 games its possible...just like a 3 point shooter who shot 60% but only took 10 attempts. all depends on how the person keeps the book too. theres coaches who wont give you a hit unless its a solid line drive and a legit hit while some other would give you a hit as long as you touch the ball with the bat and get on base. again, im NOT saying hes bad because hes not, im just saying hes not the best in the state and I think everyone who saw him, Backas, and Kilinske, they will tell you its no comparison.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:56 pm

baseball wrote:
jtdc492 wrote:Batting .750 is still batting .750, and that was over the season, not one all star game. I'm not here to defend Blake Kaul, but come on, give the guy his due. Oh, and how do you skew statistics? Either he did it or he didn't. Weak region? Maybe- he still had to get hits. Is he as big and powerful as Kliniske? Obviously not, more consistent at the plate? Probably.

course of 30 games its possible...just like a 3 point shooter who shot 60% but only took 10 attempts. all depends on how the person keeps the book too. theres coaches who wont give you a hit unless its a solid line drive and a legit hit while some other would give you a hit as long as you touch the ball with the bat and get on base. again, im NOT saying hes bad because hes not, im just saying hes not the best in the state and I think everyone who saw him, Backas, and Kilinske, they will tell you its no comparison.

The only time coaches get to see a lot of different teams across the state during high school is during the Enderlin tournament. I kind of think the way they set up this all-state team is a joke. I'm not saying these kids do not deserve the accolade of being all-state I'm just saying that there could be a better format for it.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby jtdc492 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:15 pm

If you take Blake Kaul off who do you put on to replace him? Somebody from Steele?
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Postby baseball » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:35 pm

jtdc492 wrote:If you take Blake Kaul off who do you put on to replace him? Somebody from Steele?

Ben holen?
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndsportsfan98 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:32 am

The Enderlin tournament didn't even take place this spring because of bad weather. I would put Ben Watkins from Lamoure on the list before i'd put on Ben Holen.
ndsportsfan98
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby baseball » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:41 am

ndsportsfan98 wrote:The Enderlin tournament didn't even take place this spring because of bad weather. I would put Ben Watkins from Lamoure on the list before i'd put on Ben Holen.

good point, im just saying that holen is a better baseball player then kaul, IMO and ive seen kaul a lot over the years and played against holen a few times.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby jtdc492 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:30 pm

Blake Kaul had an amazing season at the plate, plain and simple. Let it go!
jtdc492
NDPreps All-State

Return to Class B