Section 3 Legion Tournament

Re: Section 3 Legion Tournament

Postby armada113 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:28 pm

scc wrote:The Section 3 Legion tournament starts on Wednesday. Any predictions?

The seeds are:
#1 Casselton
#2 Hope-Finley
#3 Fargo Bombers
#4 Hatton
#5 Central Valley-Hillsboro
#6 May-Port
#7 Thompson
#8 Gardner

I'll take Casselton and Hope-Finley on day 1. The Hatton vs. CV-H game is a push. CV-H blew a 21-2 lead when Hatton won 28-25, but CV-H won their second meeting at Hatton. I'll take CV-H in a close game. The upset special of the tournament could be the #3 vs. #6 matchup, as I think May-Port could have a shot at the Bombers. May-Port's defense will likely be the determining factor.

Ha. May-Port. Ha. Defense. Hahaha. Yeah if May-Port shows up with their defense could they somehow find the offense to back it up?? They are #6 for a reason. If their defense is what you say it is they wouldnt get licked everytime they play. Casselton and Hope seem to be the favorites. Even though Casselton has great pitching, do they have DEEP pitching?? Sure they may have two exellent starters but where do they go after that? And Hope from what ive seen is an great hitting team. But again, do they have the pitching to make it through the tourney?
I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it. ~Rogers Hornsby
armada113
NDPreps Starter

Postby baseball » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:33 pm

scc wrote:The Hatton vs. CV-H game is a push. CV-H blew a 21-2 lead when Hatton won 28-25,.

How is that even possible??
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby armada113 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:36 pm

scc wrote:
armada113 wrote:
scc wrote:The Section 3 Legion tournament starts on Wednesday. Any predictions?

The seeds are:
#1 Casselton
#2 Hope-Finley
#3 Fargo Bombers
#4 Hatton
#5 Central Valley-Hillsboro
#6 May-Port
#7 Thompson
#8 Gardner

I'll take Casselton and Hope-Finley on day 1. The Hatton vs. CV-H game is a push. CV-H blew a 21-2 lead when Hatton won 28-25, but CV-H won their second meeting at Hatton. I'll take CV-H in a close game. The upset special of the tournament could be the #3 vs. #6 matchup, as I think May-Port could have a shot at the Bombers. May-Port's defense will likely be the determining factor.

Ha. May-Port. Ha. Defense. Hahaha. Yeah if May-Port shows up with their defense could they somehow find the offense to back it up?? They are #6 for a reason. If their defense is what you say it is they wouldnt get licked everytime they play. Casselton and Hope seem to be the favorites. Even though Casselton has great pitching, do they have DEEP pitching?? Sure they may have two exellent starters but where do they go after that? And Hope from what ive seen is an great hitting team. But again, do they have the pitching to make it through the tourney?

May-Port's defense is the reason they are #6. If they play well defensively, they will be fine.

You cant win games on defense alone. Sure they are not last in the section but its a stretch to say they can upset the top 3 seeds. And what do they have for pitching? Do they have anybody that even clocks at 70-75??
I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it. ~Rogers Hornsby
armada113
NDPreps Starter

Postby MinotFan22 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:43 pm

its funny to see how far thompson fell off from last year... winning on a walk off against a really good fargo team last year to being at the way bottom of the standings in just one year... i predict a fargo-hope final this year.. casselton has nothing for pitchers once their two studs throw..
MinotFan22

Postby armada113 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:02 pm

MinotFan22 wrote:its funny to see how far thompson fell off from last year... winning on a walk off against a really good fargo team last year to being at the way bottom of the standings in just one year... i predict a fargo-hope final this year.. casselton has nothing for pitchers once their two studs throw..

Exactly, Casselton has two GREAT pitchers but then nothing after that. Im not sure about Hope but Fargo has three exellent starters then two more pretty good pitchers, along with some hit or miss relievers. I think Hopes hitting will carry them through the tourney.
armada113
NDPreps Starter

Postby cubsfan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:10 pm

armada113 wrote:
MinotFan22 wrote:its funny to see how far thompson fell off from last year... winning on a walk off against a really good fargo team last year to being at the way bottom of the standings in just one year... i predict a fargo-hope final this year.. casselton has nothing for pitchers once their two studs throw..

Exactly, Casselton has two GREAT pitchers but then nothing after that. Im not sure about Hope but Fargo has three exellent starters then two more pretty good pitchers, along with some hit or miss relievers. I think Hopes hitting will carry them through the tourney.

I think Casselton will do just fine pitching wise along with some timely hitting. They won't need to throw Rust or Frappier against Northern Cass and they have a couple of other pitchers in Sinner and Schumacher who will be able to throw some valuable innings in the tournament too. It also doesn't hurt that they have the best defense in the section either.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby MinotFan22 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:42 pm

armada113 wrote:

who would u say is there three??? cause i think there is four there.. Wawers, Horner, Venaas, and Lundberg (the only problem with him is he has no control of his emotions so a walk in the 1st might do him in for the whole game)..
MinotFan22

Postby armada113 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:34 pm

MinotFan22 wrote:
armada113 wrote:

who would u say is there three??? cause i think there is four there.. Wawers, Horner, Venaas, and Lundberg (the only problem with him is he has no control of his emotions so a walk in the 1st might do him in for the whole game)..

Well if Lundberg can keep his emotions in check he throws a great game. Another pretty solid pitcher for Fargo is Kris Haarstad.
armada113
NDPreps Starter

Postby armada113 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:44 pm

MinotFan22 wrote:
armada113 wrote:

Besides Lundberg is the only Fargo pitcher with substantial varsity time, with a 5-1 record and a era below 2. Horner and Venaas pitched some but limited varsity time. Wawers had no varsity time but could easily have been a quality varsity pitcher.
armada113
NDPreps Starter

Postby MinotFan22 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:56 am

all i have to say is thank god they moved the games to hope from gardner because that field was in no way shape or form ready to host the sectional tourney... the grass was 6 inches tall..
MinotFan22

Postby baseball » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:32 am

MinotFan22 wrote:all i have to say is thank god they moved the games to hope from gardner because that field was in no way shape or form ready to host the sectional tourney... the grass was 6 inches tall..

all that takes is one afternoon with a lawn mower...
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby armada113 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:28 am

baseball wrote:
MinotFan22 wrote:all i have to say is thank god they moved the games to hope from gardner because that field was in no way shape or form ready to host the sectional tourney... the grass was 6 inches tall..

all that takes is one afternoon with a lawn mower...[/quote}

Or a day with a hedge clipper. haha. But the left field grass was like a forest, and the infield had big rocks in it. I agree with Minot22, Gardener was in no shape to play a sectional tournament at.
armada113
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:05 pm

CV-Hillsboro 13, Hatton 3 in 5 innings. CV-H bats came to life. Curious choice of pitchers for Hatton - Dafforn, then their shortstop. No Bilden, no Strand.

Fargo Bombers 12, MPCG 0.

Other quarterfinal games postponed until Thursday morning - rain.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby armada113 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:05 pm

scc wrote:I thought CV-H might win, but I believed it would be a close game. The Bombers did beat May-Port 12-0. They put the right guy on the mound to get May-Port out of sync. The six unearned runs didn't help matters, either.

What six unearned runs?? If i remember right the Bombers beat May-Port fair and square. May-Port only left 3 runners on base. And it was the same guy two of the times. They just failed to score. What an upset huh??
armada113
NDPreps Starter

Postby MinotFan22 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:46 pm

its kinda of a rough deal that casselton and hope have to play two games tommorow. whereas fargo and CV-H will be all rested up and ready to go.... especially cause there is nothing to do in hope after a game so have fun finding something to do in between games
MinotFan22

Postby armada113 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:58 am

Oh man what are you talking about?? Hopes total 5 streets are THRIVING! Theres tons of stuff to do. hahaha
armada113
NDPreps Starter

Postby MinotFan22 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:22 pm

so casselton beat gardner 14-0 (no surprise)... does anyone know who threw for casselton this morning??
MinotFan22

Postby armada113 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:32 pm

MinotFan22 wrote:so casselton beat gardner 14-0 (no surprise)... does anyone know who threw for casselton this morning??

I highly doubt the would throw Rust or Frappier. Sinner possibly??
armada113
NDPreps Starter

Postby armada113 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:01 pm

Ah i see, anybody know who Hope might possibly throw against Fargo?? Or who they threw against Thompson??
armada113
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:20 pm

Hope-Finley 5, Thompson 2 (quarter)
Hatton 12, Gardner 1 (Gardner eliminated) W-Workin
Thompson 11, MPCG 6 (MPCG eliminated)
Casselton 8, Hillsboro 2 (semi) W-Frappier, L-Foley
Hope-Finley vs Fargo postponed until Friday morning - darkness
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby MinotFan22 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:50 pm

i might sound insensative here but how hard is it to put lights up??? or just play in a place that has lights for sectionals???
Last edited by MinotFan22 on Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MinotFan22

Postby kingjames » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:13 am

okay well i haven't been involved in this conversation but i just read the whole thing and i was reading the part about lawn mowers and lights.. gardner needs to know that john deere has a brand of lawn mowers where there is a setting that cuts a little smaller than 6".. also i think class b should stay w/ no lights and make the second game of double headers dissapear... that would solve a darkness problem i believe.... oh and the comment about kris harstaad being a good pitcher for fargo was a joke correct? or do i not know talent when i see it
kingjames
NDPreps Starter

Postby MinotFan22 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:33 am

kingjames wrote:okay well i haven't been involved in this conversation but i just read the whole thing and i was reading the part about lawn mowers and lights.. gardner needs to know that john deere has a brand of lawn mowers where there is a setting that cuts a little smaller than 6".. also i think class b should stay w/ no lights and make the second game of double headers dissapear... that would solve a darkness problem i believe.... oh and the comment about kris harstaad being a good pitcher for fargo was a joke correct? or do i not know talent when i see it

(clap...clap...clap) thank you kingjames you see something the fargo coaches still dont in harstaad... and not only does gardner need better mowers but rodent kill... there were mice all over in the outfield earlier this year..
MinotFan22

Postby armada113 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:35 am

MinotFan22 wrote:
kingjames wrote:okay well i haven't been involved in this conversation but i just read the whole thing and i was reading the part about lawn mowers and lights.. gardner needs to know that john deere has a brand of lawn mowers where there is a setting that cuts a little smaller than 6".. also i think class b should stay w/ no lights and make the second game of double headers dissapear... that would solve a darkness problem i believe.... oh and the comment about kris harstaad being a good pitcher for fargo was a joke correct? or do i not know talent when i see it

(clap...clap...clap) thank you kingjames you see something the fargo coaches still dont in harstaad... and not only does gardner need better mowers but rodent kill... there were mice all over in the outfield earlier this year..

Dont forget about the boulders in the infield
armada113
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:39 pm

scc wrote:
MinotFan22 wrote:i might sound insensative here but how hard is it to put lights up??? or just play in a place that has lights for sectionals???

Lights would be nice, but they are not necessary. The state Legion tournaments held in Bottineau and Mayville a few years ago were without lights, and everything was fine.

Lights are a huge expense. You are looking at 5 figures easy....as often as they would get used they are usually the last priority at a ball field.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Class B