Best Class B team of the 80's

Share your stories of the towns, teams, and players of the past.

Best Class B team of the 80's

Postby bigpoppakdog » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:39 pm

what's the thoughts?
bigpoppakdog

Re: Best Class B team of the 80's

Postby bradyg » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:25 pm

My uncle played for Hankinson, and he said that Edinberg was awesome. They had that Guldseth or however you spell his name.
bradyg

Postby BB11 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:02 am

bradyg wrote:My uncle played for Hankinson, and he said that Edinberg was awesome. They had that Guldseth or however you spell his name.

The 88 Edinburg Spartans - probably the best individual team of the 80's. They probably would have won in 87 too - except they ran into a Starkweather team in the Region championship that shot 72% in the game from the field and beat them by one for Edinburg's only loss that year.
Best program of the 80's would probably be either Newburg or Linton - but I would have to give the nod to Newburg 3 2nd place finishes in the 80's and one state championship.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby KBFAN33 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:04 am

State Champions newtown eagles 1980!!
KBFAN33
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndsportsnut » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:13 am

It's tough to pick the best individual team, but I would have to go with Edinburg in 88. But I will however agree with bb11, Newburg had a dynasty in the 80's. 2nd in 84 & 85, 1st in 86, 2nd in 89. That's one heckuva run! And of course, they had to be in our region. lol. dang the luck.
ndsportsnut
NDPreps Starter

Postby milton-meteor » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:17 am

KBFAN33 wrote:State Champions newtown eagles 1980!!

Good ball Club, but could have they really beat Edinburg 88'
milton-meteor

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:20 pm

the best team of the 80's has to be Edinburg.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:27 pm

I'd say Endiburg had the best team in the 80's, but if you're talking about the most successful program in the 80's I'd go with Newburg....can't argue with their success.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby milton-meteor » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:33 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:I'd say Endiburg had the best team in the 80's, but if you're talking about the most successful program in the 80's I'd go with Newburg....can't argue with their success.

wouldn't argue that, but programs usually stay the same under the same coach, bottom line is you need the Horses!!
milton-meteor

Postby bbplayer » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:50 pm

I would have to say the 1980 New Town Eagles who won the state championship without thier third leading scorer sidelined with an elbow injury suffered in the Region Championship. How many teams make state and win it without thier third leading scorer. Most teams would end up in the consolulation bracket! They beat #2 Hillsboro in the semi and #1 Berthold in the 1980 State Championship!
bbplayer

Postby milton-meteor » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:06 pm

bbplayer wrote:I would have to say the 1980 New Town Eagles who won the state championship without thier third leading scorer sidelined with an elbow injury suffered in the Region Championship. How many teams make state and win it without thier third leading scorer. Most teams would end up in the consolulation bracket! They beat #2 Hillsboro in the semi and #1 Berthold in the 1980 State Championship!

Cool story
and what was his name?
My brother Played with Val Finley and Perry WhiteOwl at VCSC for two years, those boys could play Ball.
milton-meteor

Postby bbplayer » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:45 am

The player hurt was Cyril Chase who was the 1979 State Class B High Jump Champion.
bbplayer

Postby Hinsa » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:30 pm

I'd put 1980 New Town and 1981 Hillsboro as #1 and #1A. New Town beat Hillsboro in 80, Hillsboro returned the favor in 81. Both games were down to the wire and one, if not both of those games went to overtime. Hillsboro finished 26-0 in 81.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby bigpoppakdog » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:32 pm

I talked with amundson this winter about his new town days(as I coached up there for a couple years also) he said he coached junior high those years and lost 1 game in 4 years. Then glasser had em and won a state title. Amundson talked pretty highly about these new town boys.
bigpoppakdog

Postby milton-meteor » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:56 pm

Hinsa wrote:I'd put 1980 New Town and 1981 Hillsboro as #1 and #1A. New Town beat Hillsboro in 80, Hillsboro returned the favor in 81. Both games were down to the wire and one, if not both of those games went to overtime. Hillsboro finished 26-0 in 81.

I watched the Gudmunson boys and Scott Gulseth grow up, along with the rest of them , if you had a tournament with Newtown from 1980, with Chase (elbow injury), the 1981 Burro's, 1984',1985' , Linton teams,
with all due respect, nobody would beat Skippy (gulseth) and the boys!! that team was flat out dangerous. I've watched alot of teams warm up before the game and when Edinburg warmed up Skippy would shoot the ball and 95% would go in the hoop, then the game would start and you found out in a hurry that this 6'5" Kid could also run the floor with the best of them,
after High School I had the privilege of watching him at UND, He is the best ball player ever out of ND, Boshee included, Les Jepsen included, and Phil Jackson included, and dont say Kraft or Koneig, Gardner or Vonesh and Please do not say Todd Olson or the kid from the Deaf School.
Now getting back to the 1980 New Town and 1981 Burros and the Linton teams, I would have to say the 1980 New Town team gives the 1988 Edinburg Team a run for thier money.
Last edited by milton-meteor on Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
milton-meteor

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:27 am

Guldseth played during the Gerving days. I was hoping to see these two play at state. Glen Ullin lost in the opening round and never had the chance to play against him. Guldseth only made a couple field goals during the state championship(or semi-final game can't remember for sure) but made a ton of free throws. I believe glen ullin was one of the best teams that didn't win state in the 80's. I think they were as good as anybody in the 80's
bigpoppakdog

Postby milton-meteor » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:49 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:Guldseth played during the Gerving days. I was hoping to see these two play at state. Glen Ullin lost in the opening round and never had the chance to play against him. Guldseth only made a couple field goals during the state championship(or semi-final game can't remember for sure) but made a ton of free throws. I believe glen ullin was one of the best teams that didn't win state in the 80's. I think they were as good as anybody in the 80's

when I speak of Scott being a very outstanding (in my previous post) ball player, I vision him playing at UND as a mature ball player (very headzy) even though the Basketball experts in ND have him pegged as one of the best in High School, I dont think High School tells the whole story with any Ball Player, when I boast about edinburg I am talking about the entire team, every good player needs an outstanding supporting cast to make it to state and win it, (prime example, DuFault).
milton-meteor

Postby Deuce » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:06 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:Guldseth played during the Gerving days. I was hoping to see these two play at state. Glen Ullin lost in the opening round and never had the chance to play against him. Guldseth only made a couple field goals during the state championship(or semi-final game can't remember for sure) but made a ton of free throws. I believe glen ullin was one of the best teams that didn't win state in the 80's. I think they were as good as anybody in the 80's

'88 Glen Ullin won the first round against Strasburg but lost in the semi. Kenmare-Donnybrook with Pete Erickson was undefeated coming into state and lost the first round.

These are the teams I can remember from that year, I'm still missing 2.
Edinburg
Glen Ullin
Hankinson
Kemare
Hillsburro
Strasburg
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Deuce » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:36 am

scc wrote:
Deuce wrote:

'88 Glen Ullin won the first round against Strasburg but lost in the semi. Kenmare-Donnybrook with Pete Erickson was undefeated coming into state and lost the first round.

These are the teams I can remember from that year, I'm still missing 2.
Edinburg
Glen Ullin
Hankinson
Kemare
Hillsburro
Strasburg

The other two were Divide County and Carrington.

Thanks scc. How could I forget. Rob Stefanowicz went on to be mr BB so he would have been a soph that year.
Deuce
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:05 am

Guldseth had a body like those Fargo South kids had during the late 80's. That team from Fargo, to me, was undoubtably the best team ever for the state of north dakota.

I think you see a little different style nowdays. Back in the day a player could dominate and take over a game...today it seems like coaches are a little hesistant to do this...I don't think you see the 20pts/20reb players today because we're in the "me" generation where everybody has to be "the guy". Maybe I'm wrong?
bigpoppakdog

Postby milton-meteor » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:20 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:Guldseth had a body like those Fargo South kids had during the late 80's. That team from Fargo, to me, was undoubtably the best team ever for the state of north dakota.

I think you see a little different style nowdays. Back in the day a player could dominate and take over a game...today it seems like coaches are a little hesistant to do this...I don't think you see the 20pts/20reb players today because we're in the "me" generation where everybody has to be "the guy". Maybe I'm wrong?

your not wrong, back then when the best player was hot the Coach was happy and just let him go regardless of what some parent or school official may think, you can still do this and stay intact, I remember game when I was a Junior and my brother was a Senior when we went to the locker room at halftime he had 36 points (no threes) the coach just let him go!
milton-meteor

Postby bigpoppakdog » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:45 am

I had 22 in a quarter once...didn't even realize it until days later when I looked at the book...today I don't think you will see that..too much of "your on fire..but lets spread the ball around" make all the players happy and all the parents happy.
bigpoppakdog

Postby project-pat » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:44 am

bigpoppakdog wrote:I had 22 in a quarter once...didn't even realize it until days later when I looked at the book...today I don't think you will see that..too much of "your on fire..but lets spread the ball around" make all the players happy and all the parents happy.

ya braggin....?

haha just kiddin, i just love sayin that :lol:
project-pat

Postby bigpoppakdog » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:14 am

Yeah! A little bit. I didn't mention my 8 three pointers in a game(only shot 12 of them and only a soph.), or my 39 I put up as a junior. Then I would have been bragging. I figured that this is no place to talk about things like that. :D

I'm pathetic...I know....I think the all-conference status that I achieved in ndpreps has gone to my head!!!
bigpoppakdog

Postby old lineman » Mon May 12, 2008 9:19 pm

Best Class B TEAM 1981 Burros udefeated, #1 in the polls all year long, closest games were in region 2

Hillsburo was the big Ticket then the acro team performed at half time of the MP Hillsburro season games at Mayville State.

Eddie best coach in Class B ever, could be.

Hillsburo the most hated team of the 80's after beating Epping not a doubt.
old lineman
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to North Dakota Legends of High School Athletics