Team reclassification?

Class A Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Team reclassification?

Postby Flip » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:44 pm

BasketballMind wrote:Attendance at these tournaments is going to be interesting to keep track of. The pricing was set too high by the state and I think a lot of casual attendees are going to stream from home.

How much did prices increase?

You've probably stated your opinion on this before, but do you like having 4 separate state tournaments for A and B? I realize no one likes all the venues chosen.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:00 pm

Flip wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:Attendance at these tournaments is going to be interesting to keep track of. The pricing was set too high by the state and I think a lot of casual attendees are going to stream from home.

You've probably stated your opinion on this before, but do you like having 4 separate state tournaments for A and B? I realize no one likes all the venues chosen.

Region tournament prices were set at $14 for adults and $10 for students. I don't know if the State tournament prices are going to be that as well or higher. That seems like a lot if you're following a team that makes a tournament run. You could have 7 nights at that expense if you make it to state and play in a challenge game. Fans of these teams are going start getting picky about when they go. I could see skipping Semi-Final night knowing they have a meaningful 3rd place game if they were to lose. If you're not watching your own kid play, might not be worth it when you can watch the game online. We already see low attendance in our regular season games now that everyone streams it someway or another.

The state tournaments are happening the only way possible given the confines of the calendar, venues, and schedule. I'm not a fan of it but there isn't much else for them to do. High School activities doesn't make a decision without factoring in making money, but I think they missed the boat on this one and are going to be surprised when these extra tournaments don't equal extra dollars.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:10 pm

One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:16 pm

BasketballMind wrote:Region tournament prices were set at $14 for adults and $10 for students. .

Wow! That's too high IMO.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby bk1990 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:46 pm

BasketballMind wrote:
Flip wrote:

Region tournament prices were set at $14 for adults and $10 for students. I don't know if the State tournament prices are going to be that as well or higher. That seems like a lot if you're following a team that makes a tournament run. You could have 7 nights at that expense if you make it to state and play in a challenge game. Fans of these teams are going start getting picky about when they go. I could see skipping Semi-Final night knowing they have a meaningful 3rd place game if they were to lose. If you're not watching your own kid play, might not be worth it when you can watch the game online. We already see low attendance in our regular season games now that everyone streams it someway or another.

The state tournaments are happening the only way possible given the confines of the calendar, venues, and schedule. I'm not a fan of it but there isn't much else for them to do. High School activities doesn't make a decision without factoring in making money, but I think they missed the boat on this one and are going to be surprised when these extra tournaments don't equal extra dollars.

For the record, having the A and B boys state tourney on the same weekend is a terrible idea in my opinion, same with having A and B girls same weekend. Myself, and others I know in the western part of the state would go to the B every year in Bismarck or Minot, didn't matter who was playing, it was fun. Now, with it split, the teams I follow may be playing in the State A in Fargo, some may also be playing in the B in Minot, I may stay home and watch rather than attend.
Also, this may be a crazy idea, why can't A boys and girls have their state tourney the same weekend in the same city? Same for B boys and girls. I know in the future they will have to adjust when the season start to make this happen. AA, or the old A did this. I believe Bismarck with the Event Center and Minot with the Dome and Auditorium could handle it.
My reason behind this is, using Bowman County for example. Say their girls team makes it to State, now they take off for 3 days to go to Jamestown, 250 miles away. Come home, next weekend their boys qualify for state, now they have to take off again for Minot, another 250 miles and weekend away from home. Not everyone can do this, and now the team may not get as much support, people either couldn't go again or took a chance, didn't go to girls and hoped boys would make it.
This can will potentially happen a fair amount for B, and also A.
I know that it probably wasn't possible this year due to venue availability, but could be something they look to in the future, probably might be some venue conflicts for the District/Region tourneys.
Right now, may of the B schools have Boys and Girls play on the same day now, they travel together and have just JV and Varsity as many of the B schools don't have enough kids for a C squad. I have heard of several 'Super Saturdays" this year, not to hard to squeeze in 4 games on a Saturday afternoon, it save travel dates and costs for the school.
Just my thoughts on this
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:50 am

I think the reclassification problem will never be done after what happed to Cavalier this year in football. Cavalier did not even make it to the state semi's.... and that will show you that system is unfair. That is why it makes sense to keep Ryan in Class B. Ryan would make state this year for sure but they would not make it to the Semi finals which is completely unacceptable. Remember that Private schools kids are held to a higher standard with grades and sports.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Thundersnow » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:26 pm

bk1990 wrote:
BasketballMind wrote:
Flip wrote:

For the record, having the A and B boys state tourney on the same weekend is a terrible idea in my opinion, same with having A and B girls same weekend. Myself, and others I know in the western part of the state would go to the B every year in Bismarck or Minot, didn't matter who was playing, it was fun. Now, with it split, the teams I follow may be playing in the State A in Fargo, some may also be playing in the B in Minot, I may stay home and watch rather than attend.
Also, this may be a crazy idea, why can't A boys and girls have their state tourney the same weekend in the same city? Same for B boys and girls. I know in the future they will have to adjust when the season start to make this happen. AA, or the old A did this. I believe Bismarck with the Event Center and Minot with the Dome and Auditorium could handle it.
My reason behind this is, using Bowman County for example. Say their girls team makes it to State, now they take off for 3 days to go to Jamestown, 250 miles away. Come home, next weekend their boys qualify for state, now they have to take off again for Minot, another 250 miles and weekend away from home. Not everyone can do this, and now the team may not get as much support, people either couldn't go again or took a chance, didn't go to girls and hoped boys would make it.
This can will potentially happen a fair amount for B, and also A.
I know that it probably wasn't possible this year due to venue availability, but could be something they look to in the future, probably might be some venue conflicts for the District/Region tourneys.
Right now, may of the B schools have Boys and Girls play on the same day now, they travel together and have just JV and Varsity as many of the B schools don't have enough kids for a C squad. I have heard of several 'Super Saturdays" this year, not to hard to squeeze in 4 games on a Saturday afternoon, it save travel dates and costs for the school.
Just my thoughts on this

I am extremely interested to see what the statewide reaction to this year's State Tournament season will be. The reaction to 3 classes (divisions? I don't understand the difference in terminology) has been overwhelmingly positive so far. Personally, I hope this continues into the postseason, but I'm not certain it will. I don't like the idea of having 2 different State Tournaments in different towns on the same weekend. I'm worried about the attendance at the B Girls tournament in Jamestown. You mentioned the Bowman fan scenario where the average Bowman fan would probably choose the B Boys in Minot over the B Girls in Jamestown two weeks earlier. Nothing against Jamestown, I just don't think they can provide the same State Tournament experience that Minot, Bismarck or Fargo can.

Having 5 State Tournament events rather than 3 increases the chances that a casual fan will attend one of them. It just stinks that a person will have to choose between A Girls and B Girls and/or choose between A Boys and B Boys.

I think the answer is to do a "Super AA" weekend in Bismarck, followed by a "Super A" weekend in Fargo and then a "Super B" weekend in Bismarck or Minot. I believe Bismarck and Fargo are better options for the combined state tournaments. I know Minot hosted one of them, was that well-received? As a second option, I'd accept a combined "A and B Girls" in one location on Weekend 1 and then a combined "A and B Boys" in one location on Weekend 3.
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bisonguy06 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:23 am

This is the way. Super AA / A / B.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby bk1990 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:30 am

With the 3 class system, I feel the Super tourney format is the way to go. I'm sure anyone from the old A will agree. I believe you will see going forward the boys and girls team from the same town going to state more often in A and B. I don't recall if Minot hosted a Super tourney, but I feel the could. If you havetn't been to a game at the Minot State dome,go to one, the remodel they did puts them right back up on the top as far as venues to watch basketball. It would take some juggling if the other venue used was the city auditorium, they aren't connected like the Bismarck Event Center, but it does hold 3500 people, it could easily handle the consolation round after Thursday and is only a 5 minute drive from the dome. State B girls was held at the Betty in Grand Forks, don't believe it is any bigger than the Auditorium in Minot.
Thanks to the oil boom, Minot has plenty of hotel rooms that sit empty.
Especially for A and B, my opinion is the A and B should be in Bismarck or Minot due to central location and their typically are more teams from the west, the majority of AA teams come from Bismarck and Fargo typically
Eastern part of state always has state hockey and wrestling, that is fine, they have the facilities, but there are adequate facilities outside of Fargo for basketball, lets use them

Just my thoughts
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Girls