23-24 Season Discussion

Class A Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

23-24 Season Discussion

Postby Flip » Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:31 am

I see girls Class A basketball brought up in other threads I thought maybe they should have their own discussion.

What do we think of Northern Cass? I have a hard time believing they're the #2 team in the state. I kind of thought they would be worse than last year. They barely beat TM and DL (who appears to be struggling) could have beat TM by 80 earlier in the year.

Thompson is easily the best team in the state right now.

What do some of these teams have for numbers? I saw Carrington and HCV play a 3 quarter JV game yesterday. I was told each team dressed 11 girls and all 11 dressed for both games.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Re: 23-24 Season Discussion

Postby packers21 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:03 pm

Flip wrote:I see girls Class A basketball brought up in other threads I thought maybe they should have their own discussion.

What do we think of Northern Cass? I have a hard time believing they're the #2 team in the state. I kind of thought they would be worse than last year. They barely beat TM and DL (who appears to be struggling) could have beat TM by 80 earlier in the year.

Thompson is easily the best team in the state right now.

What do some of these teams have for numbers? I saw Carrington and HCV play a 3 quarter JV game yesterday. I was told each team dressed 11 girls and all 11 dressed for both games.

NC/Kindred tonight will a good measuring stick.

3 classes fixed all participation #s!
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:49 pm

Flip wrote:What do we think of Northern Cass? I have a hard time believing they're the #2 team in the state. I kind of thought they would be worse than last year. They barely beat TM and DL (who appears to be struggling) could have beat TM by 80 earlier in the year.

NC loses to FW's by 3. FW's doesn't have a lot of wins, but they've been fairly competitive so far. I like their PG, Gourd, is in 8th grade with incredible skill, but you don't see her force the shots you'd expect a girl with her ability to do.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Thundersnow » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:14 pm

Looks like there were some even matchups and close games in Devils Lake over the weekend. To me, it looks like Thompson is the best team by a fair margin right now. After that, it looks like teams 2-12 are quite competitively balanced. Thinking of potential state tournament fields: Thompson, Devils Lake, Kindred, Valley City, Bottineau, South Prairie, Shiloh Christian and Dickinson Trinity would be quite compelling. And this leaves out teams like Northern Cass, Grafton, Nedrose, Des Lacs-Burlington, Four Winds, Watford City
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby RiverMiner99 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:16 am

Don't sleep on Carrington. They've had some nice wins. Only losses are to Bismarck, Devils Lake, and Thompson. Looks to be a very even field after Thompson.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby RiverMiner99 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:21 pm

Carrington with another good win (Northern Cass). Looking like it will be only 1 team from Region 1 this year. Things can and will change, but here is how I see it today:

East: Region 1 Winner (VC?), Thompson, Devils Lake, Carrington
West: Bottineau, SP-Max, Bismarck, and ????

4th team out of the west will be interesting. Nedrose, Watford City, Rugby, Dickinson, or Des Lacs.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:45 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:Carrington with another good win (Northern Cass). Looking like it will be only 1 team from Region 1 this year. Things can and will change, but here is how I see it today:

East: Region 1 Winner (VC?), Thompson, Devils Lake, Carrington
West: Bottineau, SP-Max, Bismarck, and ????

4th team out of the west will be interesting. Nedrose, Watford City, Rugby, Dickinson, or Des Lacs.

Different game feel in February...Carrington/NC was a solid game but I wouldn't say NC is out of it right now. Those state qualifier matchups are going to be very, very good and a nice addition to the postseason (makes the meaningless 3rd place games mean so much more).
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RiverMiner99 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:17 pm

Big game in Bottineau tonight. Nedrose comes to town. Nedrose has a chance to show they belong with the the contenders. Right now Thompson sits alone at the top with Bottineau, South Prairie-Max, and Devils Lake in the group just below them. Nedrose could join this group with a victory or close game tonight. There is a large group of around 10 teams in the next tier that have a chance to contend if they can improve between now and the postseason.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby RiverMiner99 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:53 pm

Nedrose didn't quit step up their game enough to challenge Bottineau. They have a nice team that if it can improve might be able to make some noise at the region tournamnet.

Interesting game tonight. Class B #1 May-Port CG is hosting Class A #1 Thompson. These might be the best 2 teams outside of Class AA.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby ballernd » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:18 pm

I don't agree that Mayville is a top team outside of AA in the state. I don't even think they would be in the top 5. Look at their schedule, they really haven't played anyone. They played a couple of ranked B teams, that wouldn't even be in the top 10 of the old B. They played 1 other A team in Grafton, and only won by 6. Grafton is not even close to a team they have been in the past. I would take Langdon over Mayville.
ballernd
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:56 pm

ballernd wrote:I don't agree that Mayville is a top team outside of AA in the state. I don't even think they would be in the top 5. Look at their schedule, they really haven't played anyone. They played a couple of ranked B teams, that wouldn't even be in the top 10 of the old B. They played 1 other A team in Grafton, and only won by 6. Grafton is not even close to a team they have been in the past. I would take Langdon over Mayville.

Thompson is the clear 1 in A and B, but after that, MPCG is in the mix. It will be an interesting matchup if/when they play Langdon.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Girls