2023-2024 Boys State A Tournament

Class A Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2023-2024 Boys State A Tournament

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:34 pm

BelfieldBantams wrote:I was disappointed in the lack of work done by the head table. I didn't pay attention to every game, but I thought during the one game where they missed the 5th team foul and then made it up during the 6th team foul. That was beyond ridiculous.

Also during the championship game, for the entire scoreboard screwed up for most of the 1st quarter.

Come on FargoDome, get people in there that know how to run your table and your system. If you can't find someone I'd love to come in and do it. Can't be that hard.

Everything has to do with the fact that you have Class AA people working the table…different rules for fouls with halves then quarters. There was no attempt for any type of atmosphere by those in charge…honestly, they just proved Fargo should not be a host for anything other than State AA Basketball and State Volleyball.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby 5-time state chump » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:33 am

packers21 wrote:Also just a note, you would only need 4 classes to fix "same size team" problems.

I get that...ya know, maybe on paper when comparing school sizes, that 4 classes would "look" fair when looking at each one.

But then, jeez, we have like 6 school in one. Okay. Maybe 8. I mean, do we need 4 state champs?

Again, I'm the one advocating 2 things:

1. It's better than it was.
2. ND just doesn't have enough teams to make it better than it is. We have to be one the states with the least number of high school teams.
5-time state chump
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:41 am

Listen to Dom this morning with an interview from Mathew Fetsch.... He said that everything was very positive about the dome and how well the dome environment was and how much people enjoyed the venue....

I HAVE LITERALLY TALKE WITH NOBODY THAT THOUGHT THAT WAS A GREAT ENVIRONMENT TO HOLD THE STATE.... NOBODY

He said the seating was great and great view of the games being played.... NOBODY THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DOME LIKED IT. IT IS HORRIBLE.

student sections hated it... they could not see the game.

He also said that they would sell out the Betty and the Shak... great.... Make the environment better... make it rockin....
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:04 am

maddog1971 wrote:Listen to Dom this morning with an interview from Mathew Fetsch.... He said that everything was very positive about the dome and how well the dome environment was and how much people enjoyed the venue....

I HAVE LITERALLY TALKE WITH NOBODY THAT THOUGHT THAT WAS A GREAT ENVIRONMENT TO HOLD THE STATE.... NOBODY

He said the seating was great and great view of the games being played.... NOBODY THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DOME LIKED IT. IT IS HORRIBLE.

He also said that they would sell out the Betty and the Shak... great.... Make the environment better... make it rockin....

It looked awful on the broadcast as well.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:43 am

maddog1971 wrote:Listen to Dom this morning with an interview from Mathew Fetsch.... He said that everything was very positive about the dome and how well the dome environment was and how much people enjoyed the venue....

That was so bad on his part, what a bunch of lip service garbage. Izzo is the Jimmy Fallon of ND media who just agrees with whoever is across from him. I wish he would take calls on his show so someone could’ve challenged that point. Fetsch was just saving face there and Izzo has no ability to disagree with a guest on the show.
Last edited by BasketballMind on Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:20 am

I asked a friend from DL what he thought. My friend has also complained about everything the NDHSAA has done over the last decade (except put DL in the middle division). Here's his response, "The student section was maybe the only downfall. Everyone who we talked with liked it."

TBH, I'd like to see it in the SHAC.
The MSHSL could put their state hockey tournament at US Bank Field and sell more tickets, but they don't.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby RiverMiner99 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:42 am

Had to go and listen to the interview myself. I was thinking some of these posts were maybe a little biased, after listen to the interview I would say the previous comments are spot on. The only thing I would add is that Matt did say that he has only heard positive comments from the people he works for (the member schools). You could tell he has had plenty of negative comments from the general population, but they of coarse didn't want to talk about that. The only individual that is part of a member school that I have heard any negative comment about Fargodome was Rick Smith's comments when this plan was being put in place. He said Fargodome should not host a state basketball tournament (and he is right!). I think if people want to see Fargodome not being used they need to encourage their schools administration to put something in writing.

I was surprised to hear Matt say that they number of people attending on Saturday would not have fit in the SHAC. I was there and that didn't feel like the case to me. I may be slightly off on the numbers, but he mentioned around 6,500 in attendance and the seating capacity of the setup at the dome was 8,500. There was more than 2,000 empty seats on Saturday night.

Another thing I took was that it seemed like there must be a deal with Fargodome for future tournaments and they agreed to get a new floor.

Bottom line is that Fargodome is a terrible venue for basketball and should not be a site. It was not a good environment, poor seating for the students, poor gameday production, sound system was not good, tv viewing angle is not great, lots of empty seats.

I should say the one positive comment I heard was, "This is terrible in here, but not as bad as I thought it would be."

Other issues that should be addressed semifinals should be played in the evening not the afternoon.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby BasketballMind » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:12 pm

I had no problem with the times of the games. If they're going to broadcast both tournaments simultaneously, that's how the TV viewers are able to see all the winners bracket games. I do hope they don't stick to the idea that the Class B Final must be the last game of the season. It'll work some years if there is a great possible matchup, but Devils Lake vs Kindred was a far better game than North Star vs Westhope/Newburg. Should probably rotate each year.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:33 pm

BasketballMind wrote:I had no problem with the times of the games. If they're going to broadcast both tournaments simultaneously, that's how the TV viewers are able to see all the winners bracket games. I do hope they don't stick to the idea that the Class B Final must be the last game of the season. It'll work some years if there is a great possible matchup, but Devils Lake vs Kindred was a far better game than North Star vs Westhope/Newburg. Should probably rotate each year.

If the championship games should rotate, so should the semifinals. There is no reason to have Class B semis get the shaft and play in the afternoon each year. I also don't think state teams should have to play in the mornings either.

Easiest solution is to let broadcast companies bid and have the tournaments on two separate networks, then keep the regular tournament schedule. Viewers can choose what matchup they want to watch and record the other if needed to watch later. I think it would increase attendance, too. I'm not taking off a day of work to go watch an afternoon semifinal, but may drive up there if held in the evening.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:34 pm

BasketballMind wrote:I had no problem with the times of the games. If they're going to broadcast both tournaments simultaneously, that's how the TV viewers are able to see all the winners bracket games. I do hope they don't stick to the idea that the Class B Final must be the last game of the season. It'll work some years if there is a great possible matchup, but Devils Lake vs Kindred was a far better game than North Star vs Westhope/Newburg. Should probably rotate each year.

If the championship games should rotate, so should the semifinals. There is no reason to have Class B semis get the shaft and play in the afternoon each year. I also don't think state teams should have to play in the mornings either.

Easiest solution is to let broadcast companies bid and have the tournaments on two separate networks, then keep the regular tournament schedule. Viewers can choose what matchup they want to watch and record the other if needed to watch later. I think it would increase attendance, too. I'm not taking off a day of work to go watch an afternoon semifinal, but may drive up there if held in the evening.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:52 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:

Pretty sure the plan is to rotate, I am also pretty sure most of the ppl complaining about the 3-class are the same ppl who said "IDK what plan passes just pass it and I'll never complain again" yet here were are
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby whine » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:14 am

For all the Fargodome haters. Who is going to be in charge of deciding which 1000-1500 people cannot attend the event on championship night because the SHAC is at capacity? Then who is in charge of listening to all of the complaining from the 1000-1500 people that couldn't get a seat. Any volunteers
whine
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:16 am

whine wrote:For all the Fargodome haters. Who is going to be in charge of deciding which 1000-1500 people cannot attend the event on championship night because the SHAC is at capacity? Then who is in charge of listening to all of the complaining from the 1000-1500 people that couldn't get a seat. Any volunteers

Da Focus Group Brotha
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby UncleRico » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:36 am

whine wrote:For all the Fargodome haters. Who is going to be in charge of deciding which 1000-1500 people cannot attend the event on championship night because the SHAC is at capacity? Then who is in charge of listening to all of the complaining from the 1000-1500 people that couldn't get a seat. Any volunteers

Not trying to be a dink, but if anyone who was actually there on Saturday evening thinks there was more than 4,000 people in attendance during the championship game, I've got a bridge to sell you....I took pictures of the crowd. Saying almost half the seats were occupied would be as far as I'd go.
UncleRico
NDPreps Reserve

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:44 am

I'm not going to think twice about this if people are late to buy tickets and can't go. The SHAC holds 5700 seats. They would need to have reserved tickets available for the parents/siblings of the teams going and the reserve tickets for coaches/ndhsaa members. Release the rest to the public after that. And realistically, the Semi-Final and Championship sessions are the only ones at risk of turning people away. Most people leave after their team is finished playing.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby BasketballMind » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:48 am

packers21 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:

Pretty sure the plan is to rotate, I am also pretty sure most of the ppl complaining about the 3-class are the same ppl who said "IDK what plan passes just pass it and I'll never complain again" yet here were are

DO IT FOR THE KIDS!!!

(But I have some thoughts)
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby olufsen2022 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:25 am

My vote would be the same people that put some region tournaments in places that couldn't handle them causing hundreds of people from several communities to not attend for fear of being turned away. The same people that forced this plan to be put into place immediately while allowing the vball(which everyone knew was going to pass for sure) plan to wait an extra year to get things ironed out. Those would be the people I'd suggest answer the difficult questions.
olufsen2022
NDPreps Reserve

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:30 pm

The Shac can hold 5700?? That is what someone said on here.... that is plenty of seats for people that actually want to go to the games. Just image how great that would be.... Great seats.... Great environment..
Just seems like it is a money grab by the NDHSAA to get some more money by holding at the Dome. Hopefully they will make some changes at the Dome before next year to make it more enjoyable....
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby RiverMiner99 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:29 am

Who was able to convince them to move the Class B girls state tournament out of the Alerus and into the Betty a few years ago? You heard the same comments out of the NDHAA, that they were concerned they would sell out and people would not be able to go. Guess what, no one was turned away and the tournaments in the Betty have been great for the kids and the fans. The Minnesota state tournament this weekend was played at the Barn. They could have sold more tickets if they would have moved the tournament to US Bank Stadium, I wonder why they don't do that???!!!
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Boys