2023/2024 Season Discussion

Class A Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2023/2024 Season Discussion

Postby Attack the Process » Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:24 pm

senditin wrote:
RiverMiner99 wrote:Looking at comparable scores can often times be misleading without having watched the games, but I'd like to hear from anyone who maybe watched both of these games to hear their opinion:

HCV 42 - Kindred 53
HCV 41 - Devils Lake 83!

Almost like DL belongs in a different Class with their 500 students.

Can we please move on from the complaining about the 3 division change? We aren't even a full month into the season. It will take time to tell if it was the right move for high school basketball in North Dakota. Let's not forget the success factor and the basketball classification committee. I know change is a scary thing for a lot of people, but we need to move on from the complaining. Whether you wanted this change or not, the fact is is that it is real and we need to move forward.
Attack the Process
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:45 pm

Figured everyone wanted 3 classes and now half of those people complain about the 3 classes.

I'm not a fan of the shadiness that went about to shift things around from first proposal to final product but this state needed 3 classes; the downfall is that it still hasn't fixed the participation numbers in small schools...lots of B schools struggle to even field a full JV and there are still some drastic blowouts in all levels...I was told that these two areas would improve and make things better. Yup I know, give it some time, but I don't see numbers changing that much (at least on the girls side).
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby BasketballMind » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:35 pm

The 3-Class system was never about small school participation or competitive balance. At least not the plan they proposed.

WalkingStick wrote:Figured everyone wanted 3 classes and now half of those people complain about the 3 classes.

I'm not a fan of the shadiness that went about to shift things around from first proposal to final product but this state needed 3 classes; the downfall is that it still hasn't fixed the participation numbers in small schools...lots of B schools struggle to even field a full JV and there are still some drastic blowouts in all levels...I was told that these two areas would improve and make things better. Yup I know, give it some time, but I don't see numbers changing that much (at least on the girls side).
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:40 pm

WalkingStick wrote:Figured everyone wanted 3 classes and now half of those people complain about the 3 classes.

Does not matter if it is a a big school (Big B's) or little schools. Numbers are way down. Kindred has 14 girls in their girls program and I don't know how many Central Cass has but they basically have no one on their bench and playing some really young kids... I like the plan to get privates out of Class B BUT .... never mind.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:45 pm

BasketballMind wrote:The 3-Class system was never about small school participation or competitive balance. At least not the plan they proposed.

This plan was constructed to get DL/VC/Wahp/Watford City playing smaller schools than them. Mission accomplished.

That being said, whoever said its time to move on is correct.

Early season observations/opinions:
The top 6-7 Class B teams seem really good. The bottom half of the poll/teams getting votes -not so much in my opinion. I'd guess we'll have a team or two, maybe 3 in the state that in the previous system would have been first round region exits. I imagine this it to be expected.

Class A appears to be Devils Lake to lose. I'd say at this point I'd take DL over the field. A month ago I wouldn't have. That was probably expected as well, just not by me. They would have had a really good chance in the old system to bring home the title. I'd say Kindred is #2, with about 6-8 others a coin flip for 3.

AA appears to be Norths at this point. They're wining a pile without the older Seim -that is something. Minot seems really solid as well. Davies and Central also quality teams.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:35 pm

A little off topic, but I see Deng Deng signed to play football for UND. I'm sure he had more than a few options for football and basketball.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby leroybla » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:30 pm

maddog1971 wrote:

Does not matter if it is a a big school (Big B's) or little schools. Numbers are way down. Kindred has 14 girls in their girls program and I don't know how many Central Cass has but they basically have no one on their bench and playing some really young kids... I like the plan to get privates out of Class B BUT .... never mind.

From the NDHSAA website, it appears the Central Cass has 22 girls on their team with 10 shown on the varsity. They have on 7th grader, but no 9th graders or seniors.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:00 am

maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby RiverMiner99 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:38 pm

Looks like the big games tonight come to us from Region 2:

Devils Lake @ 4Winds - Will Deng play tonight? I can't see 4Winds competing if he isn't. They likely are the underdog even with him.

Thompson @ Grafton - Both teams have looked impressive. But this will be the best team either of them have played so far this year.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:20 pm

maddog1971 wrote:https://x.com/DaksHoops/status/1737622347824144459?s=20

Yep that kid is a Freshman.

Played as an 8th grader last year on Varsity

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RiverMiner99 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:46 pm

I see Dickinson is scoring more points their last few games. Are their 2 missing players back yet? It will be interesting to see what they look like once they are at full strength. Without those 2 I don't see them challenging Bismarck or Beulah for the region title this year.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby bk1990 » Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:33 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:I see Dickinson is scoring more points their last few games. Are their 2 missing players back yet? It will be interesting to see what they look like once they are at full strength. Without those 2 I don't see them challenging Bismarck or Beulah for the region title this year.

Bismarck? I thought the Demons were AA?
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:21 am

bk1990 wrote:
RiverMiner99 wrote:I see Dickinson is scoring more points their last few games. Are their 2 missing players back yet? It will be interesting to see what they look like once they are at full strength. Without those 2 I don't see them challenging Bismarck or Beulah for the region title this year.

Bismarck? I thought the Demons were AA?

Only 1 school from Bismarck in Class A Basketball... Kinda like their is only 1 Class B school from Minot.

Could you have imaged if Minto Ryan would have to play a Class A Schedule.... they might have lost a game by now.... That would be horrible to them.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Vikings2009 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:55 am

How did Minot Ryan get to stay in Class B, everybody wonders about that one. Crazy Pickens!!!
Minot Ryan should be class A, Dunseith and Carrington should be class B and I'm sure there is more discrepancies. Certain teams benefited and why-whose behind it?
Better competition for the games and kids is great but its still far from being on par, more time should have taken before implementing this division change.
Vikings2009
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:16 pm

Vikings2009 wrote:How did Minot Ryan get to stay in Class B, everybody wonders about that one. Crazy Pickens!!!
Minot Ryan should be class A, Dunseith and Carrington should be class B and I'm sure there is more discrepancies. Certain teams benefited and why-whose behind it?
Better competition for the games and kids is great but its still far from being on par, more time should have taken before implementing this division change.

Enrollment: Dunseith & Carrington are over 162.5; Bishop Ryan is not and the multiplier had to go or the NDHSAA would have been sued.

NDHSAA was being threatened a lawsuit if they didn't implement this plan quickly...A western ND AD (formerly R5) brought it up at the meeting that if this proposal didn't go through that there was going to be a lawsuit.

We should know by now that the NDHSAA will do whatever they can to avoid lawsuits...it was proven in this proposal and with how quickly things progressed (yet VB passed for 3-classes but will wait another season to be implemented...no threats = no rush)
Last edited by WalkingStick on Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:58 pm

WalkingStick wrote:
Vikings2009 wrote:How did Minot Ryan get to stay in Class B, everybody wonders about that one. Crazy Pickens!!!

Enrollment: Dunseith & Carrington are over 162.5; Bishop Ryan is not and the multiplier had to go or the NDHSAA would have been sued.

NDHSAA was being threatened a lawsuit if they didn't implement this plan quickly...A western ND AD brought it up at the meeting that if this proposal didn't go through that there was going to be a lawsuit.

We should know by now that the NDHSAA will do whatever they can to avoid lawsuits...it was proven in this proposal and with how quickly things progressed (yet VB passed for 3-classes but will wait another season to be implemented...no threats = no rush)

Any school that has enough money to waste on a law suit over sports should not be playing in Class B. Any Class B Public school that spends tax payer money on a law suit over sports should have been fired.

Oak Grove is now 1-7 on the year in Boys.... I would not be surprised it we see them suing next. I hope not because in a few years they will be good again.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:26 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:

NDHSAA was being threatened a lawsuit if they didn't implement this plan quickly...A western ND AD brought it up at the meeting that if this proposal didn't go through that there was going to be a lawsuit.

Any school that has enough money to waste on a law suit over sports should not be playing in Class B. Any Class B Public school that spends tax payer money on a law suit over sports should have been fired.

Oak Grove is now 1-7 on the year in Boys.... I would not be surprised it we see them suing next. I hope not because in a few years they will be good again.

The multiplier was the only reason the private schools weren't happy...only 2 threatened a suit. I don't think you'll see OG suing anyone...they are YOUNG and will struggle for a year or two as they develop. They are low on quality upperclassmen after their key senior, unfortunately, tore his ACL this summer. They may not have more wins but they definitely would be far more competitive if he was healthy. OG always plays such a tough schedule so their win totals have been low lately...even in Class B; challenge & develop athletes while preparing for the end of the season and the more important games.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RiverMiner99 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:57 pm

Game of the night tonight: Grafton @ Devils Lake. Who are you picking in this one? Devils Lake has responded well after their 1st loss of the year. Grafton has won every game by double digits. Is this maybe a preview of the state championship game? The way this season is playing out it looks like you could make a case that the top 4 teams in Region 2 belong in the top 8 of the state. Lot's of basketball still to be played.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:06 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:Game of the night tonight: Grafton @ Devils Lake. Who are you picking in this one? Devils Lake has responded well after their 1st loss of the year. Grafton has won every game by double digits. Is this maybe a preview of the state championship game? The way this season is playing out it looks like you could make a case that the top 4 teams in Region 2 belong in the top 8 of the state. Lot's of basketball still to be played.

Who after DL/Grafton/FW is one of the top 4 out of 8?

HCV? Thompson?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby RiverMiner99 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:38 pm

I was thinking HCV at this point in the season.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby RiverMiner99 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:28 pm

Dickinson showed that they are improving on Tuesday night in their loss to Beulah (56-68). Hot start for Beulah, but the Titans were able to come back and keep it close at the half. 2nd half started the same way as the first and Beulah was able to keep the game at a comfortable lead.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:41 pm

Great Game between Grafton and Kindred. Grafton is the real deal and they can shoot and put up points. Kindred looked a little slow but they are long and created problems for Grafton inside the arc. Kindred had a few really big dunks but Grafton came right back down the court and hit 3s right away and took the momentum away. Kindred had a mini run in the 4th and pulled away but Grafton kept hitting deep contested 3s. I don't know how many free-throws Kindred missed but there was quite a few. Kindred ended up winning and staying undefeated.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:53 pm

Deng Deng should win Mr. Basketball and I don’t think it’s even close IMO.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:48 am

I have been going back and forth over the season with Deng Deng, James Hamilton, Carter Zeller, and Wylee Delorme, and Bohden Duffield being the conversation.

I think pretty convincing arguments could be made for all at this point.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:08 am

packers21 wrote:Deng Deng should win Mr. Basketball and I don’t think it’s even close IMO.

Without having seen many of the guys mentioned and only seeing Deng online, I'd find it hard to believe anyone is any better than him.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Boys