2023/2024 Season Discussion

Class A Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2023/2024 Season Discussion

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:19 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
My MVP are the kids that put up 8 one night and 14 boards and two nights later puts up 28 and 8 boards.. or assists.... who is more concerned about how the team looks and not himself. I know those kids don't win awards but they should.

Not a bad 2 nights. Guessing the 3rd night they put up 14 points, 8 boards and 28 assists? :wink: Seriously, anybody who puts up those kinds of numbers are: 1. On a really good team. 2. A very good bb player in their own right and will probably be winning some awards. 2 cents.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:44 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
balla45 wrote:All good. I think so much of it is based off of roster composition and shot volume.

I still feel that if a player is super talented, they are essentially playing against other players who have no chance of guarding them, and their scoring success is pretty much determined by pace of play and shot volume.

I am not a high volume shot guy... I don't like guys that have to get 20-25 shots a game... good or bad shots... they need to get them up.
My MVP are the kids that put up 8 one night and 14 boards and two nights later puts up 28 and 8 boards.. or assists.... who is more concerned about how the team looks and not himself. I know those kids don't win awards but they should.

This opinion concerns me. I think it is fine to be anti volume shooting, although I do not know why volume shooting is a negative thing if the player is efficient. My concern is that you seem to be conflating volume shooting and not caring how the team looks or performs. That makes very little sense to me.

Deng Deng and Walker Braaten have been discussed in this topic several times, and I believe those 2 players have played in a combined 3 losses this season. Klabo is undefeated in ND games as well.

Sometimes the best course of action for a team to win games is to have their best scorer shoot 20+ times. It is possible for a player to be better than everyone else while caring tremendously about winning.

Wick leads ND in scoring. Watch Hazen play a game and then tell me that Wick is more concerned with scoring than winning.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:56 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

Not a bad 2 nights. Guessing the 3rd night they put up 14 points, 8 boards and 28 assists? :wink: Seriously, anybody who puts up those kinds of numbers are: 1. On a really good team. 2. A very good bb player in their own right and will probably be winning some awards. 2 cents.

3. Probably this guys kids
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:40 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
balla45 wrote:All good. I think so much of it is based off of roster composition and shot volume.

I still feel that if a player is super talented, they are essentially playing against other players who have no chance of guarding them, and their scoring success is pretty much determined by pace of play and shot volume.

I am not a high volume shot guy... I don't like guys that have to get 20-25 shots a game... good or bad shots... they need to get them up.

Many teams don’t have the depth that your squad in Kindred has…some teams HAVE to have someone who consistently gets shots up for their team to have success.
You thrashed Hatfield last year for his high number of shots but who else on that squad 1.) could score like that or 2.) wanted to even take the shots. You can’t score points without someone shooting the ball! And as long as they are going for 20+ in a game…I got ZERO problem with that player taking 20-25 shots in that game
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:33 am

WalkingStick wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

Many teams don’t have the depth that your squad in Kindred has…some teams HAVE to have someone who consistently gets shots up for their team to have success.
You thrashed Hatfield last year for his high number of shots but who else on that squad 1.) could score like that or 2.) wanted to even take the shots. You can’t score points without someone shooting the ball! And as long as they are going for 20+ in a game…I got ZERO problem with that player taking 20-25 shots in that game

First I did not trash the Oak Grove Kid... I said he shoots to many bad shots and I said they had a good team. He was a very good player.
High volume shot kids that make 50% of their shots are fine with me while taking good shots.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:30 am

maddog1971 wrote:Great Scorers are different that Great Basketball Players. You see if many times... Great Scorers can get you a win in a big game but they will never get you to holding up the State Trophy. That takes team work. AS I have said about Enderlin for the last few years.... I will take getting to the State Championship game over getting individual awards.

As you stated within that conversation last year (directed towards the Hatfield convo), and while I agree partially with your post...how can you score more points than the other team if you don't have players who can shoot the ball. This is High School basketball, you're going to have some poor decisions and poor shot selections (heck, you get those poor decisions from PROs).

If this was Pleasantville and everything was dull and perfect and all the shots went in...no one would matter but this is a game of science (physics) with human error...no one will be perfect.

Side Note: Hatfield made around 48% of his baskets last year (good or bad shots)...the kid was told to shoot and he did; it was very noticeable how much he was missed in the games that he did not play (Maple River, for example).

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:30 pm

Here is a link to a midco Story on Joe Hurlburt. Good Story... He is doing what he needs to do.. getting bigger stronger and faster. https://x.com/NorstedtMidco/status/1755 ... 95998?s=20
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby DayByDay » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:20 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Here is a link to a midco Story on Joe Hurlburt. Good Story... He is doing what he needs to do.. getting bigger stronger and faster. https://x.com/NorstedtMidco/status/1755 ... 95998?s=20

Love to see it.

What level talents are Deng Deng and Walker Braaten in your opinions?
DayByDay
NDPreps Rookie

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:15 pm

DayByDay wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:Here is a link to a midco Story on Joe Hurlburt. Good Story... He is doing what he needs to do.. getting bigger stronger and faster. https://x.com/NorstedtMidco/status/1755 ... 95998?s=20

Love to see it.

Both very good players. Deng Deng is a great Athlete and keeps his team playing at a high level. His ability to play great defense when he wants to and it seems like he steps up big time in big time games. I don't think he was a D1 basketball player but I think he is a D1 football player.
Walker is a very good ball player.. Rebounds very well, Quick release with range. Strong kid who can play through some contact. I don't see him as a D1 guy but Minot State he would shine bright.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:41 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
DayByDay wrote:

Love to see it.

Both very good players. Deng Deng is a great Athlete and keeps his team playing at a high level. His ability to play great defense when he wants to and it seems like he steps up big time in big time games. I don't think he was a D1 basketball player but I think he is a D1 football player.
Walker is a very good ball player.. Rebounds very well, Quick release with range. Strong kid who can play through some contact. I don't see him as a D1 guy but Minot State he would shine bright.

Deng Deng committed to UND for football.

It'll be interesting to see what route Braaten goes for college commitment next year.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vikingman » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:06 pm

Is the Central Cass/Hawley game on-line someplace?
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:48 am

vikingman wrote:Is the Central Cass/Hawley game on-line someplace?

NSPN.tv website…gotta pay for it

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:41 pm

All I can say is someone forgot to play defense.
I would have loved to watch it but I am not paying to see it online.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:46 pm

maddog1971 wrote:

All I can say is someone forgot to play defense.
I would have loved to watch it but I am not paying to see it online.

Hawley started out hot as a team...but cooled down the stretch of the 1st half; CC found their legs about midway through the 1st half. Buhr was the leading scorer for CC in the 1st Half...Holzer got hot in the 2nd half as CC exploited Hawley's post D; Stoa made some deep 3's, tough baskets on drives that cause CC guards to get into foul trouble (20 FT attempts)

Holzer could have had 61 as well but chose to dribble it out at the end of the game; Stoa could have had 63 but went for a dunk attempt right before that (game was decided by that point).

Holzer had 59/13/6; not sure on Stoa's stats but 61pts with a fair # of boards and at least 5 or 6 assists.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vikingman » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:22 pm

if it wasn't streamed, either team could upload their own video.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:28 am

vikingman wrote:if it wasn't streamed, either team could upload their own video.

It was streamed…All MN Breakdown shootout broadcasts are licensed through NSPN.tv website. If you plan to watch many of the breakdown events each year it’s worth the $30/year.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:24 pm

HOW HOW??? How did Lisbon just beat CC with Lisbon being down 3 of their starters? A few days ago Holzer put up just as many as the whole CC did last night? Was it just one of those nights?
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:21 pm

maddog1971 wrote:HOW HOW??? How did Lisbon just beat CC with Lisbon being down 3 of their starters? A few days ago Holzer put up just as many as the whole CC did last night? Was it just one of those nights?

Lisbon wasn’t down 3 starters, Lisbon is a solid team with great guards who can all
score. Better be ready to guard them.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:41 pm

packers21 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:HOW HOW??? How did Lisbon just beat CC with Lisbon being down 3 of their starters? A few days ago Holzer put up just as many as the whole CC did last night? Was it just one of those nights?

Lisbon wasn’t down 3 starters, Lisbon is a solid team with great guards who can all

How did they come back for this game... Ethan Gilbert was out against Kindred and then the two other kids that have not been playing the whole year because of Football Injuries.
I thought they would be able to finish in the top 3 this year in the region. Cameron Cordero is a very good player. He is fast and hard to guard.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:35 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

How did they come back for this game... Ethan Gilbert was out against Kindred and then the two other kids that have not been playing the whole year because of Football Injuries.
I thought they would be able to finish in the top 3 this year in the region. Cameron Cordero is a very good player. He is fast and hard to guard.

They wouldn’t start on this team if they were back, they would all rotate in and play some
but they wouldn’t start. Go watch it on YLE instead of posting non-sense on here.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:57 pm

packers21 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:
packers21 wrote:

They wouldn’t start on this team if they were back, they would all rotate in and play some
but they wouldn’t start. Go watch it on YLE instead of posting non-sense on here.

The Yourliveevent broadcast is where I got the information... During the Kindred game. They were talking about Lisbon being shorthanded.
How many Kids did Central Cass Graduate from last years team? Must have been quite a few.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Region 1 Fan » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:02 am

CC is still very talented and has the experience and talent to make a run this year. They seem to be missing the intangibles of Sam and Owen on this year's team. Sam was a calming effect and a tremendous leader and even though Owen didn't necessarily show up on the nightly stats when it came to scoring, his ability to be physical and defend seems to be one of the things that is missing on this year's team - one of those glue/key role players that help make a good team, great. With that said, watch out, they can beat anyone on any given night. Should be interesting how it plays out in the play-in game this year. Valley City has some nice shooters but don't know if they have enough inside game to defend/rebound against CC and Kindred. I think only one team comes out of R1 this year to represent at State - Kindred. Theirs to lose. They seem to go through some stretches where they turn the ball over but their athleticism is off the chart - Core is still very young but they are fun to watch.
Region 1 Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:56 am

Region 1 Fan wrote:CC is still very talented and has the experience and talent to make a run this year. They seem to be missing the intangibles of Sam and Owen on this year's team. Sam was a calming effect and a tremendous leader and even though Owen didn't necessarily show up on the nightly stats when it came to scoring, his ability to be physical and defend seems to be one of the things that is missing on this year's team - one of those glue/key role players that help make a good team, great. With that said, watch out, they can beat anyone on any given night. Should be interesting how it plays out in the play-in game this year. Valley City has some nice shooters but don't know if they have enough inside game to defend/rebound against CC and Kindred. I think only one team comes out of R1 this year to represent at State - Kindred. Theirs to lose. They seem to go through some stretches where they turn the ball over but their athleticism is off the chart - Core is still very young but they are fun to watch.

After watching Central Cass and Kindred last night... Central Cass is missing something They have kids that can play at a high level but they just are not. They even had a kid push a coach away last night. I understand Kindred was on fire on dunking on them but they really need to find something in the next game if they want a trip to the State for a chance for back to back.
https://x.com/DaksHoops/status/1760859196659020057?s=20
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:27 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
Region 1 Fan wrote:CC is still very talented and has the experience and talent to make a run this year. They seem to be missing the intangibles of Sam and Owen on this year's team. Sam was a calming effect and a tremendous leader and even though Owen didn't necessarily show up on the nightly stats when it came to scoring, his ability to be physical and defend seems to be one of the things that is missing on this year's team - one of those glue/key role players that help make a good team, great. With that said, watch out, they can beat anyone on any given night. Should be interesting how it plays out in the play-in game this year. Valley City has some nice shooters but don't know if they have enough inside game to defend/rebound against CC and Kindred. I think only one team comes out of R1 this year to represent at State - Kindred. Theirs to lose. They seem to go through some stretches where they turn the ball over but their athleticism is off the chart - Core is still very young but they are fun to watch.

After watching Central Cass and Kindred last night... Central Cass is missing something They have kids that can play at a high level but they just are not. They even had a kid push a coach away last night. I understand Kindred was on fire on dunking on them but they really need to find something in the next game if they want a trip to the State for a chance for back to back.

When did this push occur?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:05 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

When did this push occur?

The sequences occurred under 1 minute to play in 1st Q (Kindred was already well in control); player was very touchy and shoving Sunram on two straight possessions...got in an officials face after the foul was called the 2nd time and preceded to push an assistant coach away from him on the bench as they subbed him out.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to Boys