2023/2024 Season Discussion

Class A Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2023/2024 Season Discussion

Postby RiverMiner99 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:30 am

What are some of the big early season games everyone is keeping an eye on?

Weather prevented the Beulah/Stanley game from happening.

Devils Lake/4 Winds just before Christmas will be a fun one.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Re: 2023/2024 Season Discussion

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:41 am

12/14: Grafton @ Four Winds-Minnewaukan
12/15: Turtle Mountain @ Beulah
12/18: Shiloh Christian @ Kindred
12/19: Turtle Mountain @ Devils Lake
12/21: Devils Lake @ Four Winds-Minnewaukan
12/23: Central Cass @ Four Winds-Minnewaukan
A couple good ones at Minot over the Holiday Break as well
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RiverMiner99 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:29 pm

I was surprised to see the number of Class A schools playing Class B schools on opening night. Biggest take away from day 1 for me was the Devils Lake is good!
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:20 am

RiverMiner99 wrote:I was surprised to see the number of Class A schools playing Class B schools on opening night. Biggest take away from day 1 for me was the Devils Lake is good!

Schedule have to be filled and it is almost impossible to get enough games in just playing Class A schools. I betting in the coming years more AA Schools will be on the schedule.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Oldman1974 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:38 pm

I went to the DLHS vs Bottineau game last Friday. Just too much "chatter" about DL so I had to see for myself.

DL is deep in talent but their play last Friday was sloppy. 5 guys on the court who could easily score 30 every game. Even the big guys drain 3's so the defense has to be tight on them.

The Bottineau kid plays way beyond his size. DL beat on him pretty good and he did not lose his step at all. Very impressive. I am sure he was sore and a bit black and blue after that game.

I can't get to the first meeting of Four Winds and DL but am planning to try make the second game. DL can't afford a sloppy game against them. FW is deadly with lose balls.
Oldman1974
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Region 1 Fan » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:07 pm

Drove to Hillsboro to watch Kindred and the Burros play. First game of the year so didn't have a lot of flow to the game as there were a lot of turnovers for both teams. Talent everywhere in the gym and I think both teams will be solid as the year goes on. I'm sure free throw shooting and shooting % overall will improve for both teams but this game, no one stood out as overly impressive when it comes to the offense side of the game. Left thinking that coaches have a lot to work on with their team come next practice. Neither team looked impressive, which surprised me a bit. Great environment as gym was packed. Give Kindred credit for getting the "W" on the road. With their high preseason expectations, Kindred should only get better as the year goes on.
Region 1 Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:10 pm

Oldman1974 wrote:I went to the DLHS vs Bottineau game last Friday. Just too much "chatter" about DL so I had to see for myself.

DL is deep in talent but their play last Friday was sloppy. 5 guys on the court who could easily score 30 every game. Even the big guys drain 3's so the defense has to be tight on them.

The Bottineau kid plays way beyond his size. DL beat on him pretty good and he did not lose his step at all. Very impressive. I am sure he was sore and a bit black and blue after that game.

I can't get to the first meeting of Four Winds and DL but am planning to try make the second game. DL can't afford a sloppy game against them. FW is deadly with lose balls.

FW live streams on their Facebook account

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Oldman1974 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:31 pm

Thanks WalkingStick. Unfortunately not a Facebook guy. I think I am going to hit up a different game that night. Rumor is that Deng Deng won't be playing anyways.

Sounds like I better get Kindred vs DL on my calendar.
Oldman1974
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:20 am

Thompson put an absolute beat down on Class B MPCG Tuesday night. It was 4-4 early and Thompson went on a 36-0 run. That Region is loaded - DL, FW, Grafton, Thompson.......
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:34 am

Region 1 Fan wrote:Drove to Hillsboro to watch Kindred and the Burros play. First game of the year so didn't have a lot of flow to the game as there were a lot of turnovers for both teams. Talent everywhere in the gym and I think both teams will be solid as the year goes on. I'm sure free throw shooting and shooting % overall will improve for both teams but this game, no one stood out as overly impressive when it comes to the offense side of the game. Left thinking that coaches have a lot to work on with their team come next practice. Neither team looked impressive, which surprised me a bit. Great environment as gym was packed. Give Kindred credit for getting the "W" on the road. With their high preseason expectations, Kindred should only get better as the year goes on.

Sloppy game with turnovers but both can play. Kindred team is working to figure out how to play together on offense but Defense was good. IF Things go right it will be lots of games like this one. Score 50 and give up 30-40 (and have 8 dunks) I was happy to see them have a number of players score and it did not seem like anyone was trying to get their points. Let the game come to them.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:15 pm

maddog1971 wrote:
Region 1 Fan wrote:Drove to Hillsboro to watch Kindred and the Burros play. First game of the year so didn't have a lot of flow to the game as there were a lot of turnovers for both teams. Talent everywhere in the gym and I think both teams will be solid as the year goes on. I'm sure free throw shooting and shooting % overall will improve for both teams but this game, no one stood out as overly impressive when it comes to the offense side of the game. Left thinking that coaches have a lot to work on with their team come next practice. Neither team looked impressive, which surprised me a bit. Great environment as gym was packed. Give Kindred credit for getting the "W" on the road. With their high preseason expectations, Kindred should only get better as the year goes on.

Sloppy game with turnovers but both can play. Kindred team is working to figure out how to play together on offense but Defense was good. IF Things go right it will be lots of games like this one. Score 50 and give up 30-40 (and have 8 dunks) I was happy to see them have a number of players score and it did not seem like anyone was trying to get their points. Let the game come to them.

Kindred had 8 dunks in the game!?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:54 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

Last edited by WalkingStick on Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:12 pm

WalkingStick wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

They have the size and athleticism to put down many dunks per game this year...Peraza has springs at 6' 5", Ouse is listed at 6' 8"...Sunram is 6' 7" and we know he's well built.

Well aware of what Kindred has. You didn't list Starcevic who probably had double digit dunks last year. Just didn't hear that 16 of their 52 pts came off of dunks. Will have to find the game online.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:48 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

Well aware of what Kindred has. You didn't list Starcevic who probably had double digit dunks last year. Just didn't hear that 16 of their 52 pts came off of dunks. Will have to find the game online.

Since you are well aware...I will remove my statement

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:49 pm

WalkingStick wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

Since you are well aware...I will remove my statement

:lol:
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:17 pm

maddog1971 wrote:

Watched online - 3 dunks…..what game were you watching?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Region 1 Fan » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:14 pm

Saw that Grafton won big at FW. Anyone know why Deng Deng wasn't playing?
Region 1 Fan
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:23 am

Region 1 Fan wrote:Saw that Grafton won big at FW. Anyone know why Deng Deng wasn't playing?

Injury (ankle or foot)

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:24 pm

Any surprises good and not so good so far?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:01 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:

Watched online - 3 dunks…..what game were you watching?

He was counting his kid in warmups too
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:03 pm

Flip wrote:Any surprises good and not so good so far?

Grafton must be a surprise to some as they weren't getting much pre-season love from the pools or the Hoopster. I think most on this forum knew they were going to be pretty good. I think I would rank them #2 right now.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby RiverMiner99 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:18 am

Looking at comparable scores can often times be misleading without having watched the games, but I'd like to hear from anyone who maybe watched both of these games to hear their opinion:

HCV 42 - Kindred 53
HCV 41 - Devils Lake 83!
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby BelfieldBantams » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:43 pm

Oldman1974 wrote:Thanks WalkingStick. Unfortunately not a Facebook guy. I think I am going to hit up a different game that night. Rumor is that Deng Deng won't be playing anyways.

Kindred vs DL was originally on the schedule, but was replaced for a Devils Lake Invitational and to my knowledge they will not play during the Invitational.
BelfieldBantams
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:56 pm

BelfieldBantams wrote:
Oldman1974 wrote:Thanks WalkingStick. Unfortunately not a Facebook guy. I think I am going to hit up a different game that night. Rumor is that Deng Deng won't be playing anyways.

Kindred vs DL was originally on the schedule, but was replaced for a Devils Lake Invitational and to my knowledge they will not play during the Invitational.

Nope...no matchup between Kindred and DL
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards. ... gion-1-bbb

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby senditin » Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:29 am

RiverMiner99 wrote:Looking at comparable scores can often times be misleading without having watched the games, but I'd like to hear from anyone who maybe watched both of these games to hear their opinion:

HCV 42 - Kindred 53
HCV 41 - Devils Lake 83!

Almost like DL belongs in a different Class with their 500 students.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Boys