Devils Lake or the Field

Class A Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Devils Lake or the Field

Postby WalkingStick » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:20 pm

bk1990 wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:Been throwing this idea around...would be cool to see if it could be done with a month left in the season.

DL only plays Carrington once...count it as 2 points (they play this week)
Kindred takes their victory over OG and they agree to it being a 2 pointer.

Opens up DL/Kindred to play each other and OG/Carrington to play each other. Two quality games created instead of two lopsided games :idea:

Pretty disrespectful to Carrington and OG. Just assume they will lose and take the L and go home? Why don't we just call off the rest of the season and hand pick the participants for state tourney.

Seriously...Carrington just lost by 44 and OG lost by 39 (thanks to Kindred not running up the score). Let's revisit this in a few weeks when they play the 2nd time since I'm sure this won't come to fruition cause I'm just a loser with a thought.

Why not create a competitive winnable game for both of those teams instead of the potential of lopsided scores that do any of the teams any good. And also allowing two of the top teams in the State to play a game that's not going to be running clock in the 4th quarter.
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Thundersnow » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:33 am

Before the season, I was on the fence if teams should play their Region opponents once or twice. As this first season has played out, I think I actually prefer the schedules that have you play your Region opponents once. The only drawback is that the home team does get a built-in advantage. But the flexible, customizable schedules this season have been absolutely awesome. I like how AA teams have played against teams from the other side of the state and even other states. I like seeing Class A teams playing against both Class B and Class AA when they want to. The Devils Lake Shootouts gave us some great matchups between teams that would've never played against each other last year. What do you guys think: should teams play against their Region opponents once or twice?
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:09 pm

Regions 3 & 4 are playing each other once as a counter...if teams wanted to play a 2nd time the early season one has counted only to the overall standings. I think this is how it should go. But if the Eastern Regions of A want to have two, I think that's fine but there are obviously some that should only play once and count it as double in the region standings (HCV Girls being the example here...which they are already doing with all R2 teams except FW-M).
Allow teams the flexibility to schedule competitive games for themselves and not harass them if they want to just play a 2-point region game (I state it like this cause I know this is happening). I know in R1 that two teams were adamantly for playing everyone twice, two teams were adamantly against playing everyone twice and the rest were on the fence.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:27 pm

I think we will probably see this more frequently in the coming years. I'm sure some teams had a tougher time filling out a schedule and maybe even panicked a bit with the change in divisions, just wanting to get a schedule filled as quickly as possible.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Thundersnow » Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:30 pm

WalkingStick wrote:Regions 3 & 4 are playing each other once as a counter...if teams wanted to play a 2nd time the early season one has counted only to the overall standings. I think this is how it should go. But if the Eastern Regions of A want to have two, I think that's fine but there are obviously some that should only play once and count it as double in the region standings (HCV Girls being the example here...which they are already doing with all R2 teams except FW-M).
Allow teams the flexibility to schedule competitive games for themselves and not harass them if they want to just play a 2-point region game (I state it like this cause I know this is happening). I know in R1 that two teams were adamantly for playing everyone twice, two teams were adamantly against playing everyone twice and the rest were on the fence.

Interesting. Do you know any of the thought processes or reasonings behind any of the 4 teams with the adamant stances?
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:00 pm

I know back about 20 years ago there were districts where teams would play each other once or twice. If you played each other once it counted as a 2 point game, if you played twice each game counted as 1 point. Beulah and Hazen played each other twice when they were in Region 7, first game would count towards the regional standings, second game didn't.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:59 pm

Thundersnow wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:Regions 3 & 4 are playing each other once as a counter...if teams wanted to play a 2nd time the early season one has counted only to the overall standings. I think this is how it should go. But if the Eastern Regions of A want to have two, I think that's fine but there are obviously some that should only play once and count it as double in the region standings (HCV Girls being the example here...which they are already doing with all R2 teams except FW-M).

Interesting. Do you know any of the thought processes or reasonings behind any of the 4 teams with the adamant stances?

The two teams that were against it had plenty of opponents interested in playing them from all divisions (A, B or MN); why play two lopsided games when you can play one and get a competitive game across the river or with a B school that wants to play you?

I have a thought or two on why the 2 were adamant for playing everyone twice...but I don't know the truth to it.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:41 pm

bk1990 wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:Been throwing this idea around...would be cool to see if it could be done with a month left in the season.

DL only plays Carrington once...count it as 2 points (they play this week)
Kindred takes their victory over OG and they agree to it being a 2 pointer.

Opens up DL/Kindred to play each other and OG/Carrington to play each other. Two quality games created instead of two lopsided games :idea:

Pretty disrespectful to Carrington and OG. Just assume they will lose and take the L and go home? Why don't we just call off the rest of the season and hand pick the participants for state tourney.

Why disrespectful? OG basically did the same thing in football this year... saying they can not compete and went independent and played schools they thought they could beat. Facts are Facts.... OG will be back on top in a few years but right now... not so much. I am sure Card would like to play a game they can win.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:59 pm

So after most of season is gone.... who is taking field over Devils Lake. Very good team but two losses on the year and maybe Grafton and Fourwinds should have beaten them twice? You have 3 teams that can beat them on any given night... I am sticking with the Field on this one.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby chief45 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:51 pm

maddog1971 wrote:So after most of season is gone.... who is taking field over Devils Lake. Very good team but two losses on the year and maybe Grafton and Fourwinds should have beaten them twice? You have 3 teams that can beat them on any given night... I am sticking with the Field on this one.

Ill take the field, although I still think Devils lake has the best team overall. If I had to rate the top 8 teams/guess who will be playing in the state tournament id pick the teams below
Kindred
DL
FW/M
Grafton
Beulah
Bismarck SCS
Stanley
Toss up between Dickinson Trinity or DLB

I do think it is very likely that it will be an all east semifinal friday night of the A Tournament
chief45
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:05 pm

Should I start my new thread of Kindred v. the field?

Just like taking DL last year, I would take Kindred next.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:31 pm

Well I think Devils Lake will just as tough next year. They have plenty of kids to play next year as well. There little Soph guard can score an can really shoot it. Plenty of size coming back as well. Kindred will lose Sunram and that will hurt. He changed many games when they needed him.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:32 am

maddog1971 wrote:Well I think Devils Lake will just as tough next year. They have plenty of kids to play next year as well. There little Soph guard can score an can really shoot it. Plenty of size coming back as well. Kindred will lose Sunram and that will hurt. He changed many games when they needed him.

:lol:
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:41 pm

maddog1971 wrote:Well I think Devils Lake will just as tough next year. They have plenty of kids to play next year as well. There little Soph guard can score an can really shoot it. Plenty of size coming back as well. Kindred will lose Sunram and that will hurt. He changed many games when they needed him.

Kindred will be significantly better next year. Devils Lake won't be much worse next year than this. Still the top 2 teams.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby maddog1971 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:01 pm

I would love to hear how they will be better next year. They are graduating 3 seniors. Really good role players. the Garbage guy that made plays all year, shooter... hitting big 3s and playing great defense and 6'5 280lb athlete...
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:09 pm

maddog1971 wrote:I would love to hear how they will be better next year. They are graduating 3 seniors. Really good role players. the Garbage guy that made plays all year, shooter... hitting big 3s and playing great defense and 6'5 280lb athlete...

Here is how:

They bring back all their good players and they will all be a year older, faster, stronger and experienced.

Hoyme, Sunram and Davis will be easily be replaced with the Whipple, Swenson, Spelhaug, Bindas and the younger Stacevic and whoever else they want to throw out there.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:46 pm

packers21 wrote:
maddog1971 wrote:I would love to hear how they will be better next year. They are graduating 3 seniors. Really good role players. the Garbage guy that made plays all year, shooter... hitting big 3s and playing great defense and 6'5 280lb athlete...

Here is how:

They bring back all their good players and they will all be a year older, faster, stronger and experienced.

Hoyme, Sunram and Davis will be easily be replaced with the Whipple, Swenson, Spelhaug, Bindas and the younger Stacevic and whoever else they want to throw out there.

Yep
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby olufsen2022 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:26 pm

Flying Wallenda wrote:
packers21 wrote:

Here is how:

Yep

Absolutely, Kindred will be the favorite and will be loaded again next year. I think they will be better. They lost some important pieces, but as packers21 said, the rest of the crew they have coming back is tough and they will make up for what they lose....and then some. I think Devils Lake takes a small step back, but will still be the most likely team to compete with Kindred for the championship.
olufsen2022
NDPreps Reserve

Postby RiverMiner99 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:04 am

Agreed that Kindred and Devils Lake are the favorites to make the championship game again next year. It will hurt Kindred to lose the 3 seniors, but the returners should improve. Devils Lake had the best depth in the tournament and should be good as well next year. How does everyone think Kindred and Devils Lake will do in AA in 2025/2026? The current AA teams are not going to be happy adding 2 more teams to their schedules. They like the option this year of scheduling out of state and/or out of region games. If Kindred and Devils Lake do make the championship game next year there will again be 11 teams in the EDC, leaving little to no out of region games on the schedule. It will be fun to watch Bakko and Palmer compete against those EDC players.
RiverMiner99
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:23 pm

RiverMiner99 wrote:Agreed that Kindred and Devils Lake are the favorites to make the championship game again next year. It will hurt Kindred to lose the 3 seniors, but the returners should improve. Devils Lake had the best depth in the tournament and should be good as well next year. How does everyone think Kindred and Devils Lake will do in AA in 2025/2026? The current AA teams are not going to be happy adding 2 more teams to their schedules. They like the option this year of scheduling out of state and/or out of region games. If Kindred and Devils Lake do make the championship game next year there will again be 11 teams in the EDC, leaving little to no out of region games on the schedule. It will be fun to watch Bakko and Palmer compete against those EDC players.

If it happens...I actually think they'll appeal and win their appeals on this.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bk1990 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:39 pm

WalkingStick wrote:
RiverMiner99 wrote:Agreed that Kindred and Devils Lake are the favorites to make the championship game again next year. It will hurt Kindred to lose the 3 seniors, but the returners should improve. Devils Lake had the best depth in the tournament and should be good as well next year. How does everyone think Kindred and Devils Lake will do in AA in 2025/2026? The current AA teams are not going to be happy adding 2 more teams to their schedules. They like the option this year of scheduling out of state and/or out of region games. If Kindred and Devils Lake do make the championship game next year there will again be 11 teams in the EDC, leaving little to no out of region games on the schedule. It will be fun to watch Bakko and Palmer compete against those EDC players.

It will be interesting to see what happens if they do both get another minimum 3 points and need to appeal to remain in A. What is the opinions on why an appeal would be approved? By the guidelines set out by NDHSAA, they should be moved up, success is meant to be punished with the new system and success factor.
I know this is the Boys A topic, but DL girls and South Prairie girls could end up in the same scenario, both could be back in the championship, DL would only have to get to the semi's - 6 success points, two girls teams get moved up. My opinion, 6 points is too small of a number.
bk1990
NDPreps Starter

Postby olufsen2022 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:53 pm

bk1990 wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:

It will be interesting to see what happens if they do both get another minimum 3 points and need to appeal to remain in A. What is the opinions on why an appeal would be approved? By the guidelines set out by NDHSAA, they should be moved up, success is meant to be punished with the new system and success factor.
I know this is the Boys A topic, but DL girls and South Prairie girls could end up in the same scenario, both could be back in the championship, DL would only have to get to the semi's - 6 success points, two girls teams get moved up. My opinion, 6 points is too small of a number.

I'm not a huge fan of success points because it will often punish schools that just may have had a run of good athletes go through. I don't think it's necessarily fair for the younger athletes to be put in that situation based on the success of the older ones. I do understand there needs to be some formulas or justification for moving teams, just not sure what. In the case of Devils Lake.....if the success points combined with the fact that their enrollment is the 2nd biggest in Class A doesn't move them up....I'm not sure what would. And if that's the case, the entire "success points" idea is a joke and was only more fluff to get the plan passed.
olufsen2022
NDPreps Reserve

Postby WalkingStick » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:54 pm

bk1990 wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:

I think they will look into the enrollment of the school and the state of the program before making a school move up...I think it'll be easier for the lower to middle enrollments to appeal and win appeal on move ups than it will be for the higher end enrollments (i.e. the ones the division was truly created for: DL, TMCHS, Watford, VC, Wahpeton, CC, private schools)

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:50 pm

It doesn't specifically say what they'll look at when hearing an appeal but I assume these are items that will be considered:
a. Competitive history and balance
b. Geography
c. School’s enrollment trend
d. Student participation rate
e. Socioeconomic factors of the school’s population
f. Retention and mobility rate of school’s population
g. Additional information unique to school community
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby leroybla » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:27 pm

I think it would be best to adjust the formula long before the 24-25 season starts, like this year.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys