Region 1 - 11-12

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 1 - 11-12

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:02 am

Flip wrote:This may sound over the top and I've only followed girls basketball closely for maybe the last 6-7 years, but I think she is the best 8th grader I've ever seen. Most (all) of the 8th graders I've seen in the past are usually just role players at the varsity level, but I have to think she is legit all district material next year.

Olivia Johnson of Richland was a force her 8th grade year...I would say Johnson was the best 8th grader I had seen on a Varsity level. Now Nudell was a key player on the Varsity as a 7th grader (Johnson was not). It'll be interesting to see if Nudell can put up some bigger numbers this year.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby nduser1 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:24 am

Nudell looks like she will be able to score and do pretty well this season. She will need some supporting cast members to really make an impact though!! I know the Maple Valley girls put together a courts plus league team which from what it seems makes a difference in the season.
nduser1
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:31 am

nduser1 wrote:Nudell looks like she will be able to score and do pretty well this season. She will need some supporting cast members to really make an impact though!! I know the Maple Valley girls put together a courts plus league team which from what it seems makes a difference in the season.

They've been in that summer league for many years...I remember watching Killoran and Smith dominate that league.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby wolves65 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:54 pm

WHo has looked good at the courts plus league this year?
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:34 pm

wolves65 wrote:WHo has looked good at the courts plus league this year?

well Kindred looked okay the one game I saw them play...but they didn't have much of a team last week against CC (don't even know if they played the game) and then their game got cancelled last night against Davies because the floor at Clara Barton (extra court...away from Courts) was getting too wet because of the humidity. Oak Grove has been doing very well and I've heard CC has looked good.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:00 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
nduser1 wrote:Nudell looks like she will be able to score and do pretty well this season. She will need some supporting cast members to really make an impact though!! I know the Maple Valley girls put together a courts plus league team which from what it seems makes a difference in the season.

They've been in that summer league for many years...I remember watching Killoran and Smith dominate that league.

I'm pretty certain there was one year they didn't have a team. I think it was last year.

You're right though with Killoran (the last one) and Smith they were good. IIRC Smith's teams were always tougher.
Last edited by Flip on Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:10 am

Granted I probably haven't seen half the teams, but the best teams I've seen are Shanley Red (the White team isn't bad either), West Fargo, and Central Cass. CC was up 42-0 yesterday when I walked into the gym. I have seen OG play and I really wasn't impressed. Maple Valley looked better IMO. I have no idea if OG was missing anyone. I wish CP would post weekly results on their website like they used too.

OG might have the best JV team at Courts Plus. CC's looked better IMO, but OG beat them by double digits I believe. CC has two 6 footers on their JV team. They look young and they certainly aren't superstars, but it is tough to deal with that height at that level.

I would guess D2 is hands down the best district in the state.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:18 am

Flip wrote:

Granted I probably haven't seen half the teams, but the best teams I've seen are Shanley Red (the White team isn't bad either), West Fargo, and Central Cass. CC was up 42-0 yesterday when I walked into the gym. I have seen OG play and I really wasn't impressed. Maple Valley looked better IMO. I have no idea if OG was missing anyone. I wish CP would post weekly results on their website like they used too.

OG might have the best JV team at Courts Plus. CC's looked better IMO, but OG beat them by double digits I believe. CC has two 6 footers on their JV team. They look young and they certainly aren't superstars, but it is tough to deal with that height at that level.

I would guess D2 is hands down the best district in the state.

yeah Park Christian doesn't have much to work with...

You should get a hold of someone and tell them that that would be much appreciated.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:34 am

Flip wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

I'm pretty certain there was one year they didn't have a team. I think it was last year.

You're right though with Killoran (the last one) and Smith they were good. IIRC Smith's teams were always tougher.

Well Maple Valley had one (sort of)...some of the girls combined with girls from Enderlin (I think)...so it wasn't quite a team thing but it made the certain individuals better.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby wolves65 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:59 am

Is OG's JV the same team that plays in the varsity league or do they have 2 teams?
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:50 am

wolves65 wrote:Is OG's JV the same team that plays in the varsity league or do they have 2 teams?

I'm not sure on who plays on the JV squad...but I'm sure there are a few girls that play in both leagues. OG has some very talented players in their younger grades
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ClassBEast » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:05 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
wolves65 wrote:Is OG's JV the same team that plays in the varsity league or do they have 2 teams?

I'm not sure on who plays on the JV squad...but I'm sure there are a few girls that play in both leagues. OG has some very talented players in their younger grades

The main OG girls are all the same... 3 good sophomores and 1 that will be a senior. They all play on the JV league too. They beat the Central Cass JV by 12 I think. The CC JV is made up of 1 freshman, 1 junior and the rest are sophomores. Their only loss is to OG. The tall girls (who are 6'2") are sophomore Faith Dooley and a junior Cheyenne Weber (Harrison's sister). They've got some work to do, but will hopefully make an impact in the next couple of years. Being that tall on a Class B girls BB team is fairly rare and a nice asset to have.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby scoobyx2 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:04 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
Flip wrote:This may sound over the top and I've only followed girls basketball closely for maybe the last 6-7 years, but I think she is the best 8th grader I've ever seen. Most (all) of the 8th graders I've seen in the past are usually just role players at the varsity level, but I have to think she is legit all district material next year.

Olivia Johnson of Richland was a force her 8th grade year...I would say Johnson was the best 8th grader I had seen on a Varsity level. Now Nudell was a key player on the Varsity as a 7th grader (Johnson was not). It'll be interesting to see if Nudell can put up some bigger numbers this year.

Its not the stats, but the wins that will count. I agree that Johnson was tough as an 8th grader, and led her team to the Region 1 tourney that year. FCT w/ Schmidt beat them out in OT (I believe) in the 1st round. It will be interesting to see if Nudell will play the post or handle the ball.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:09 am

scoobyx2 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Its not the stats, but the wins that will count. I agree that Johnson was tough as an 8th grader, and led her team to the Region 1 tourney that year. FCT w/ Schmidt beat them out in OT (I believe) in the 1st round. It will be interesting to see if Nudell will play the post or handle the ball.

Also Johnson's 8th Grade year...Richland had some good ballplayers around her...Maple Valley won't quite have those type of ballplayers around Nudell. Should make things interesting though.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:23 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Also Johnson's 8th Grade year...Richland had some good ballplayers around her...Maple Valley won't quite have those type of ballplayers around Nudell. Should make things interesting though.

I agree that some support players are important. I watched a few MV games last year where they played only 5 players while 7 or 8 sat on the bench, and they were losing by quite a bit.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:43 am

scoobyx2 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

I agree that some support players are important. I watched a few MV games last year where they played only 5 players while 7 or 8 sat on the bench, and they were losing by quite a bit.

yeah that program needs a little more commitment (somewhat like they have gotten this summer). They are only a few support players from being a competitive team (thanks to Nudell)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby scoobyx2 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:24 am

Its always interesting to see how moving up young players affects a program. Sometimes it can be a spark, but it can easily discourage upperclassmen from committing their time especially at small schools. CC has done a nice job in Region 1 developing a balanced program around young talented players, but winning w/ upperclassmen on the court.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:40 am

R4F - I'm curious why you have Richland so high. IMO based on the little I see I think they should be towards the bottom.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:49 am

Flip wrote:R4F - I'm curious why you have Richland so high. IMO based on the little I see I think they should be towards the bottom.

because Johnson is the difference maker and they have some younger talent. I don't think everyone for Richland is showing up to the Summer League at Courts Plus.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby wolves65 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:44 pm

the shot clock will hurt Richland because it will force the pace of the game and they won't be able to sit back and play a zone. For them to have a chance Johnson is going to have to play and with a faster pace game it will allow teams to attack there lack of depth. In the district play in game they sat back and forced Kindred to shoot from the outside and slowed the pace of the game. Should be interesting, maybe I am putting to much thought into the shot clock but I see it speeding up the pace of the game?
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:11 pm

wolves65 wrote:the shot clock will hurt Richland because it will force the pace of the game and they won't be able to sit back and play a zone. For them to have a chance Johnson is going to have to play and with a faster pace game it will allow teams to attack there lack of depth. In the district play in game they sat back and forced Kindred to shoot from the outside and slowed the pace of the game. Should be interesting, maybe I am putting to much thought into the shot clock but I see it speeding up the pace of the game?

yeah it'll speed it up...but it'll effect every team. Central Cass might be the only team suited for the Shot Clock in the Region.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:53 pm

wolves65 wrote:the shot clock will hurt Richland because it will force the pace of the game and they won't be able to sit back and play a zone. For them to have a chance Johnson is going to have to play and with a faster pace game it will allow teams to attack there lack of depth. In the district play in game they sat back and forced Kindred to shoot from the outside and slowed the pace of the game. Should be interesting, maybe I am putting to much thought into the shot clock but I see it speeding up the pace of the game?

This makes no sense. If they want to sit back in a zone a shot clock will help them because a team can't pass it around for 2 minutes looking for a perfect shot. The other team will have to eventually take one of the outside shots that is given to them.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:11 am

Flip wrote:

This makes no sense. If they want to sit back in a zone a shot clock will help them because a team can't pass it around for 2 minutes looking for a perfect shot. The other team will have to eventually take one of the outside shots that is given to them.

and then Johnson will gobble up that rebound...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby wolves65 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:52 am

That is my point Flip, Kindred played into Richland's pace last year and squeezed out a 2pt win. This season they will have to attack sooner and that will help them because they have better players. Also Kindred is down to one Piatz and that might help too.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:41 am

wolves65 wrote:That is my point Flip, Kindred played into Richland's pace last year and squeezed out a 2pt win. This season they will have to attack sooner and that will help them because they have better players. Also Kindred is down to one Piatz and that might help too.

I think Kindred will struggle with the shot clock situation this year.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

PreviousNext

Return to Girls