2011 All State Team

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2011 All State Team

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:45 am

rock83 wrote:Saw her play, very good player. But its an award for this year. How about the Washburn girls? What were your reason for leaving them off?

Washburn was more of a balanced team...no real standout numbers IMO. Same thing happened to Shanley in Class A. Both teams are well balanced...contributions from more than just one player.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:54 am

rock83 wrote:Saw her play, very good player. But its an award for this year. How about the Washburn girls? What were your reason for leaving them off?

What washburn girls had numbers that were worthy of being all state?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby rock83 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:59 am

Are you serious?
Sam Schell around 14 point 9 rebounds
Spanky Clayton 16 or more points per game plus several assists, rebounds,
almost 55% FG% and 80% FT%
You could look in the state tournament program before you ask that questions.

The Schwab wrote:

rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:07 pm

rock83 wrote:Are you serious?

The Schwab wrote:

Yes I am serious, I watched the state tournament, I saw Washburn play. I did not see any all state players on the floor.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:09 pm

rock83 wrote:Are you serious?

The Schwab wrote:

So its an award for this year...and you don't think Bentz should have made the team with her stats THIS year. Interesting!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby rock83 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:33 pm

Washburn played Carrington & Beach to start the tournament off. If you play those two teams not to many girls are going to light up the scoreboard. It is an award for the year, not for the state tournament. But if the only basketball a person watches is the state tournament they probably shouldnt be voting on all state. If washburn has not all state caliber players how did they beat standing rock and grant county. Grant county has 4 kids around 6' tall or over, they cant be to bad.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:37 pm

rock83 wrote:Washburn played Carrington & Beach to start the tournament off. If you play those two teams not to many girls are going to light up the scoreboard. It is an award for the year, not for the state tournament. But if the only basketball a person watches is the state tournament they probably shouldnt be voting on all state. If washburn has not all state caliber players how did they beat standing rock and grant county. Grant county has 4 kids around 6' tall or over, they cant be to bad.

No one is saying that Washburn is a bad team, All State is about individual talent, not team talent. Washburn did not have any stand out players. What players would you take off of the all state team and what players would you put on in place of them and why?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:46 pm

rock83 wrote:Some of the sophomores that lost in the regional were chosen over outstanding juniors and seniors that went to state. These kids also had great regular seasons but were not chosen. Example: The napoleon girl chosen over the Linton HMB girl. The grant county girl chosen over either of the washburn girls? Just curious. I know the linton girl had a nice year even though linton did struggle at times although with a tough schedule.
Central Valley, you guys had a fun team to watch and you guys have to be excited. I am not taking anything away from them, I just thought Beach as a whole were better than most teams.

I saw Dewald play a few times, and trust me, she deserves to be on the team. I've never seen the girl from Grant County so on that I can't comment, but I would take Dewald from Napolean over Clayton and Schell from Washburn...NOT PUTTING THOSE TWO DOWN, they are good players that definately were deserving of all-state, but I'm not sure who I'd put them on over. As for CV, Beach was a better team(as was Carrington IMO). My issue is your statement that Beach would have "dominated in the east" and CV would have been lucky to have beat them once in ten games. No way do I agree with that one. For the last time, were you at the CV-Beach game :D If you fail to answer I'll presume you weren't.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby rock83 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:00 pm

yes i was. not worth arguing people that only watch 1-3 games from some of these kids and made a decision based on that.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:11 pm

rock83 wrote:yes i was. not worth arguing people that only watch 1-3 games from some of these kids and made a decision based on that.

I'm guessing a number of the sports writers likely don't see all of the kids that are all-state quality. I'm sure it goes both ways however, as I'm guessing the press from the western side doesn't get to see all of the quality kids from the east as well. The only two on the team I haven't seen are Bentz and Church, so I can't comment on them. IMO the other 13 are very deserving.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby GBBFan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:42 pm

The Schwab wrote:
GBBFan wrote:I wasn't suggesting there are any of the girls that were selected that are not deserving of this recognition - I don't know I haven't seen them all play - nor have the media people that voted. I was merely suggesting that there are a few athletes from the west that unfortunately did not make the list that measure up to everyone else that was on "the list" and I am sure there were some deserving athletes from the central part of ND and the east - but I guess you have to draw a line somewhere...or maybe an all-state team just isn't realistic. Just my opinion.

In your first post you said that some deserving athletes were left off? I'm just wondering who you think earned all state?

Just to be clear I am not saying any girls on the list are not deserving nor would I take them off. Also I realize the "All-State Team" can only be made up of 15 girls - that being said I don't think it is realistic to name an all-state team. But to name a few that measure up to be on the All-State team as well - Rosenau (Carrington), Rising (Beach), Klein (Killdeer), Breske (Central Cass), Dixon (Central Cass), Johnson (Watford City)etc....and I am sure there are 15 more that could be added to this list that I have never seen play.
GBBFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:06 pm

GBBFan wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
GBBFan wrote:I wasn't suggesting there are any of the girls that were selected that are not deserving of this recognition - I don't know I haven't seen them all play - nor have the media people that voted. I was merely suggesting that there are a few athletes from the west that unfortunately did not make the list that measure up to everyone else that was on "the list" and I am sure there were some deserving athletes from the central part of ND and the east - but I guess you have to draw a line somewhere...or maybe an all-state team just isn't realistic. Just my opinion.

In your first post you said that some deserving athletes were left off? I'm just wondering who you think earned all state?

Just to be clear I am not saying any girls on the list are not deserving nor would I take them off. Also I realize the "All-State Team" can only be made up of 15 girls - that being said I don't think it is realistic to name an all-state team. But to name a few that measure up to be on the All-State team as well - Rosenau (Carrington), Rising (Beach), Klein (Killdeer), Breske (Central Cass), Dixon (Central Cass), Johnson (Watford City)etc....and I am sure there are 15 more that could be added to this list that I have never seen play.

Thank you for your list, I don't think Rosenau was on there because they didn't want 4 girls from region 4, Rising is one of the more under rated players in the state. She wasn't going to get on there simply because they weren't going to put 3 girls from one team. Klein is a very solid player, just not sure she was all state caliber, next year possibly. Breske was the girl for CC that impressed me the most, I would say she will be a 2 time all state performer the next two seasons. I also don't feel that Dixon was all state caliber this year. Johnson was the best player on the best team in Region 8, I would have had no problem with her being on the squad.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby wolves65 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:54 pm

You are never going to make people happy with an all-state team. So congrats to the girls who made it you all deserved it.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby wolves65 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:08 pm

rock83 wrote:Beach was the defending champion. It is whole different world when you expect to win the state championship and now you are in the other bracket. honestly if central valley played them 10 times they may have won 1 time. Central Valley has a very nice team, but lets not get carried away. As for Central Cass if they both play well Beach wins, Central Cass could not handle Beach's pressure when beach is healthy. No slam on the other teams, but lets not sell Beach short. They had a sick starter first round and lost, then their goal of back ot back state championships was gone. As far as the top six if you replay the tournament and shuffle the order the top eight could end up in any order. But most times Carrington and Beach would rise to the top. Hence the last two state champions.

Flying Wallenda wrote:
rock83 wrote:As i said they have a nice team, but they finished 6th. Every team at the state tournament is good, that doesnt make region 2 overly strong.

CV led that game with 4 minutes left, and had a shot to cut it to 1 with a minute left that rimmed out. Beach shot 18-20 from the line to ice that game and win by 8. I think Beach is a better team than CV, but to say that "Beach would have dominated the east all season" is totally incorrect. If Beach had played CV 10 times I think Beach would have won more than they lost but no way do they dominate them. I also feel that Grafton, Thompson, and DP could have played with Beach. Also from the east Central Cass obviously would have given Beach all they wanted.

For starters, Beach not having the starter would not have made any difference. Beach wasn't as good this year as last without the Emily Hardy. IF both teams played well Central Cass wins some nights and Beach wins some nights. Neither team played there best ball at the state B so that is why they both went home without the title. Carrington played the best when it counted and that is all that matters. All-State team was well balanced if you ask me.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Hinsa » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:03 pm

scoobyx2 wrote:Beach was the best team going into state, but just couldn't get it together in the 1st round. The shot clock next year could make big changes if that game were ever played again. CC scored 10 points in the 1st half in the 1st round, nothing too serious to brag about, but they are a good team. CV competed in a very competitive region. I don't know if they had teams as good as Beach or Carrington, but they definitely deserved to be at State. I thought the list did a nice job representing the state for play during the season. I was looking for a player from Linton-HMB to make it tho.

Scooby - do you think a clock would have helped CC score more than 10 points in that 1st half? From what I saw, CC couldn't hang on to the ball and when they did, they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. A clock would not have helped them score any more. I honestly don't remember any long possessions in that 1st half - they just couldn't score.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby wolves65 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:30 pm

A shot clock would have pushed the tempo of the game. CC only shot 33 times in the game and they normally get 45-55 shots a game. Linton only took 10 shots the first half. A shot clock will really change the way the game is played next year. The good teams will get more shots at the basket, no slow down stuff any more.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:59 pm

Hinsa wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:Beach was the best team going into state, but just couldn't get it together in the 1st round. The shot clock next year could make big changes if that game were ever played again. CC scored 10 points in the 1st half in the 1st round, nothing too serious to brag about, but they are a good team. CV competed in a very competitive region. I don't know if they had teams as good as Beach or Carrington, but they definitely deserved to be at State. I thought the list did a nice job representing the state for play during the season. I was looking for a player from Linton-HMB to make it tho.

Scooby - do you think a clock would have helped CC score more than 10 points in that 1st half? From what I saw, CC couldn't hang on to the ball and when they did, they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. A clock would not have helped them score any more. I honestly don't remember any long possessions in that 1st half - they just couldn't score.

The shot clock could have made a big difference in the Beach-Kenmare game. Beach shot terribly the 1st half, but the couldn't get back into because Kenmare did a great job managing the clock. They knew Beach would always be a threat, so they kept the ball from them. CC won that game against Linton-HMB because they were able to get some key baskets from their 4th and 5th players, and coaching mistakes were important in the last few seconds. I don't know what the shot clock would have done in that game, but I think you will see more teams look for the 4th and 5th team to do a little more scoring because of the shot clock.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby wolves65 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:56 pm

what mistakes were made in the game in your opinion?
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Browner » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:48 pm

I also think that most of the sportswriters look at what grade they are in. You will never see freshman on this list that may be deserving. Very few sophomores and the All State team will be mostly dominated with seniors because I think they know that the Jrs, Sophs, and Freshman will be back the next year and more inclined to vote them All State the next year.
"Never underestimate the power of the Schwarz"
Browner
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:36 pm

Statistics of the All-State Team:

1st Team
Shauna Long (Standing Rock) - 28 ppg, 6 rpg and 6 spg (2,839 career points)
Brittany Dietz (Beach) - 16.1 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 3 spg and 2.5 apg (Class B Senior Athlete of 2011)
Katie King (Kenmare) - 19.1 ppg, 10.6 rpg, 3.1 apg, 2.2 spg and 1.1 bpg
Taylor Kraft (Central Cass) - 13.7 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 2.8 apg and 1 bpg (CC's Career Points and Rebounds leader)
Jessica Hale (Four Winds-W-M) - 24.8 ppg, 9 rpg, 4.2 apg, 3.4 spg and 1.1 bpg

2nd Team
Ashley Bentz (Grant County) - 21.5 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 7 apg and 4 spg
Kenzie Church (Fairmount-Campbell-Tintah) - 19.2 ppg, 9 rpg, 1.9 spg and 1.6 apg
Sheridan Dewald (Napoleon) - 19.4 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 3.4 spg and 2.3 apg (shot 52% from beyond the arc)
Jessica Henningsgard (Central Valley) - 15.2 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 2.6 spg and 1.4 apg
Olivia Johnson (Richland) - 18.1 ppg, 13.5 rpg, 3.2 apg, 2.4 spg and 1.6 bpg (40 points/22 boards vs. Oak Grove in 2011)
Maggie Lorenz (Harvey-Wells County) - 18.7 ppg, 12.9 rpg, 2.8 bpg and 2 spg
Sabrina Rude (Dakota Prairie) - 17.6 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 4.9 apg and 3.2 spg
Whitney Sponsler (Thompson) - 18.1 ppg, 10.6 rpg, 5.8 spg and 2.8 apg
Emily Thompson (Carrington) - 15 ppg, 7.3 rpg and 1.7 apg
Abby Weinreis (Beach) - 14 ppg, 3.5 spg, 3 rpg and 3 apg
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby scoobyx2 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:33 am

wolves65 wrote:what mistakes were made in the game in your opinion?

The biggest was when Linton-HMB finally got the ball into Schneider (hope I'm right on the name) w/ 8 sec, she burns the CC defender to the basket, and they call a timeout that takes away the basket. Ouch.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bball4 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:47 am

scoobyx2 wrote:

The biggest was when Linton-HMB finally got the ball into Schneider (hope I'm right on the name) w/ 8 sec, she burns the CC defender to the basket, and they call a timeout that takes away the basket. Ouch.

How about the missed over and back call that CC scored on....appeared that Kraft touched it last, CC recovered past half court and scored. Not sure the above situation would have happened if they hadn't called time out. I think CC stopped playing defense when the whistle blew, but I did think the same thing.
bball4
NDPreps Starter

Postby scoobyx2 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:42 am

bball4 wrote:
scoobyx2 wrote:

How about the missed over and back call that CC scored on....appeared that Kraft touched it last, CC recovered past half court and scored. Not sure the above situation would have happened if they hadn't called time out. I think CC stopped playing defense when the whistle blew, but I did think the same thing.

The biggest challenge for Linton-HMB all night was getting Schneider the ball so when they did with seconds left, I didn't know why he would call a time out. To set up their defense, and to throw up a 15 footer? I know, I know....hindsight is 20/20.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ambition13 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:43 pm

tompkins from milnor?
A good sermon should be like a woman's skirt: short enough to rouse the interest, but long enough to cover the essentials - Ronald Knox
ambition13
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Girls