2011 All State Team

Class B Girls
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2011 All State Team

Postby Browner » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:25 pm

Don't think it's out yet but who should be on it?...When does it come out?
"Never underestimate the power of the Schwarz"
Browner
NDPreps Starter

Re: 2011 All State Team

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:32 pm

Thursday night!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby GBBFan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:24 pm

The list came out - but I think it is missing some well deserving athletes! It is a great honor for the girls that were selected and congratulations to them but can't hold a lot of stock to it since it is voted on by the media and seems to be a little east side heavy!
GBBFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:55 pm

GBBFan wrote:The list came out - but I think it is missing some well deserving athletes! It is a great honor for the girls that were selected and congratulations to them but can't hold a lot of stock to it since it is voted on by the media and seems to be a little east side heavy!

Who do you think should/shouldn't have made it?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby bequickdonthurry » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:01 pm

http://www.kxnet.com/getArticle.asp?ArticleId=748294

Dickinson, N.D. (AP) The North Dakota Class B girls all-state Basketball teams have been named.

The first team is highlighted by Standing Rock senior Shauna Long, who scored nearly 3,000 points in her career and makes the team for the third straight season. She's joined by Beach senior Brittney Dietz, Kenmare senior Katie King, Central Cass senior Taylor Kraft and Four Winds-Warwick-Minnewaukan senior Jessica Hale.

The all-state team is selected by members of the North Dakota Associated Press Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association.

Named to the second team are Grant County sophomore Ashley Bentz, Fairmount-Campbell-Tintah senior Kenzie Church, Napoleon sophomore Sheridan Dewald, Central Valley senior Jessica Henningsgard, Richland junior Olivia Johnson, Harvey-Wells County senior Maggie Lorenz, Dakota Prairie senior Sabrina Rude, Thompson senior Whitney Sponsler, Carrington junior Emily Thompson and Beach senior Abby Weinreis.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.) APNP 03-24-11 1900CDT
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:25 pm

GBBFan wrote:The list came out - but I think it is missing some well deserving athletes! It is a great honor for the girls that were selected and congratulations to them but can't hold a lot of stock to it since it is voted on by the media and seems to be a little east side heavy!

I am sorry that someone you feel should have made it wasnt selected (there is a girl from the school I support that I felt should have been on it as well) and I am sure they are very deserving but to say you can't take stock in it seems to diminish the accomplishment of players on the list. I am sure this isnt your intent.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby q » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:17 am

There's great and there's All-State. The East had more All-State players.
q -- the only letter that does not appear in any US state name
q
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:46 am

q wrote:

This year that is true, especially since Beach dominated the West all season, and Region 2 was so strong.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby rock83 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:28 am

Or maybe the eastern sportswriters were more persuasive at the meeting than the western. Some of these writers never see most of these kids and when they do they judge them on the one time or on stats that may or may not be accurate. Beach would have dominated the east all season as well so that isnt a fair comparison. Beach and Carrington were two of the best teams all year. Unfortunately for Beach they were missing a starter in round one. If you play the state tournament 10 times moste times these two teams finish towards the top. Unfortunately sometimes illness and brackets get in the way. How does Rosenau, Clayton & the Schneider not make it over some of these sophomores? Who said region 2 was so strong. Who in the state tournament did these teams play. Central Valley has a very nice team but they finished 6th?

scoobyx2 wrote:
q wrote:

This year that is true, especially since Beach dominated the West all season, and Region 2 was so strong.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:55 am

rock83 wrote:Or maybe the eastern sportswriters were more persuasive at the meeting than the western. Some of these writers never see most of these kids and when they do they judge them on the one time or on stats that may or may not be accurate. Beach would have dominated the east all season as well so that isnt a fair comparison. Beach and Carrington were two of the best teams all year. Unfortunately for Beach they were missing a starter in round one. If you play the state tournament 10 times moste times these two teams finish towards the top. Unfortunately sometimes illness and brackets get in the way. How does Rosenau, Clayton & the Schneider not make it over some of these sophomores? Who said region 2 was so strong. Who in the state tournament did these teams play. Central Valley has a very nice team but they finished 6th?

Were you at the Beach vs. CV game at the state tournament?
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby rock83 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:03 am

As i said they have a nice team, but they finished 6th. Every team at the state tournament is good, that doesnt make region 2 overly strong.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:09 am

rock83 wrote:As i said they have a nice team, but they finished 6th. Every team at the state tournament is good, that doesnt make region 2 overly strong.

CV led that game with 4 minutes left, and had a shot to cut it to 1 with a minute left that rimmed out. Beach shot 18-20 from the line to ice that game and win by 8. I think Beach is a better team than CV, but to say that "Beach would have dominated the east all season" is totally incorrect. If Beach had played CV 10 times I think Beach would have won more than they lost but no way do they dominate them. I also feel that Grafton, Thompson, and DP could have played with Beach. Also from the east Central Cass obviously would have given Beach all they wanted.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby rock83 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:15 am

Beach was the defending champion. It is whole different world when you expect to win the state championship and now you are in the other bracket. honestly if central valley played them 10 times they may have won 1 time. Central Valley has a very nice team, but lets not get carried away. As for Central Cass if they both play well Beach wins, Central Cass could not handle Beach's pressure when beach is healthy. No slam on the other teams, but lets not sell Beach short. They had a sick starter first round and lost, then their goal of back ot back state championships was gone. As far as the top six if you replay the tournament and shuffle the order the top eight could end up in any order. But most times Carrington and Beach would rise to the top. Hence the last two state champions.

Flying Wallenda wrote:
rock83 wrote:As i said they have a nice team, but they finished 6th. Every team at the state tournament is good, that doesnt make region 2 overly strong.

CV led that game with 4 minutes left, and had a shot to cut it to 1 with a minute left that rimmed out. Beach shot 18-20 from the line to ice that game and win by 8. I think Beach is a better team than CV, but to say that "Beach would have dominated the east all season" is totally incorrect. If Beach had played CV 10 times I think Beach would have won more than they lost but no way do they dominate them. I also feel that Grafton, Thompson, and DP could have played with Beach. Also from the east Central Cass obviously would have given Beach all they wanted.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:26 am

rock83 wrote:Beach was the defending champion. It is whole different world when you expect to win the state championship and now you are in the other bracket. honestly if central valley played them 10 times they may have won 1 time. Central Valley has a very nice team, but lets not get carried away. As for Central Cass if they both play well Beach wins, Central Cass could not handle Beach's pressure when beach is healthy. No slam on the other teams, but lets not sell Beach short. They had a sick starter first round and lost, then their goal of back ot back state championships was gone. As far as the top six if you replay the tournament and shuffle the order the top eight could end up in any order. But most times Carrington and Beach would rise to the top. Hence the last two state champions.

So you were at the Beach-CV game then? Please answer that one. CV sliced Beach's press to shreds, to the point of Beach pulling the press. As for CV only beating Beach once out of ten times, no way. And I think YOU'RE selling Beach short by insinuating that they didn't give there best effort because they lost the opening round game.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby rock83 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:30 am

Nothing to get excited about, but i think if you know basketball you would realize that beach is very good when healthy and no matter how much you try it is hard when you are expecting a state championship and you are playing for 5th. That just happens. Again all the teams at state are very good, but there is a reason beach won a state championship.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:38 am

rock83 wrote:Nothing to get excited about, but i think if you know basketball you would realize that beach is very good when healthy and no matter how much you try it is hard when you are expecting a state championship and you are playing for 5th. That just happens. Again all the teams at state are very good, but there is a reason beach won a state championship.

Not getting excited, just curious if you were at the game or not, again, please answer. If you were there you'd have seen first had that, as I mentioned earlier, Beach WAS a better team than CV, but they weren't dominant and they wouldn't have dominated the east as you asserted. One or two breaks, calls, shots falling, etc and CV wins that game. As for knowing the game, I played a lot of years and coached in a lot of classes/levels/both girls & boys, etc. I'm sure Beach was dissapointed to lose the opening round game but there was a reason they had won as many games as they did, and that was because they were a good team with pride. I find it hard to believe they gave a half hearted effort in the consolation bracket.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:42 am

I'm confused...who would you people honestly take off this list and who would they put on in their place?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby scoobyx2 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:45 am

Beach was the best team going into state, but just couldn't get it together in the 1st round. The shot clock next year could make big changes if that game were ever played again. CC scored 10 points in the 1st half in the 1st round, nothing too serious to brag about, but they are a good team. CV competed in a very competitive region. I don't know if they had teams as good as Beach or Carrington, but they definitely deserved to be at State. I thought the list did a nice job representing the state for play during the season. I was looking for a player from Linton-HMB to make it tho.
scoobyx2
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:51 am

scoobyx2 wrote:Beach was the best team going into state, but just couldn't get it together in the 1st round. The shot clock next year could make big changes if that game were ever played again. CC scored 10 points in the 1st half in the 1st round, nothing too serious to brag about, but they are a good team. CV competed in a very competitive region. I don't know if they had teams as good as Beach or Carrington, but they definitely deserved to be at State. I thought the list did a nice job representing the state for play during the season. I was looking for a player from Linton-HMB to make it tho.

The thing with Linton HMB not having a girl on the squad is no one gave them a chance to make it to state (they were the 3rd seed out of the district). This is based on the whole season not just tournament time.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby GBBFan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:16 am

I wasn't suggesting there are any of the girls that were selected that are not deserving of this recognition - I don't know I haven't seen them all play - nor have the media people that voted. I was merely suggesting that there are a few athletes from the west that unfortunately did not make the list that measure up to everyone else that was on "the list" and I am sure there were some deserving athletes from the central part of ND and the east - but I guess you have to draw a line somewhere...or maybe an all-state team just isn't realistic. Just my opinion.
GBBFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby rock83 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:21 am

Some of the sophomores that lost in the regional were chosen over outstanding juniors and seniors that went to state. These kids also had great regular seasons but were not chosen. Example: The napoleon girl chosen over the Linton HMB girl. The grant county girl chosen over either of the washburn girls? Just curious. I know the linton girl had a nice year even though linton did struggle at times although with a tough schedule.
Central Valley, you guys had a fun team to watch and you guys have to be excited. I am not taking anything away from them, I just thought Beach as a whole were better than most teams.
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:22 am

GBBFan wrote:I wasn't suggesting there are any of the girls that were selected that are not deserving of this recognition - I don't know I haven't seen them all play - nor have the media people that voted. I was merely suggesting that there are a few athletes from the west that unfortunately did not make the list that measure up to everyone else that was on "the list" and I am sure there were some deserving athletes from the central part of ND and the east - but I guess you have to draw a line somewhere...or maybe an all-state team just isn't realistic. Just my opinion.

In your first post you said that some deserving athletes were left off? I'm just wondering who you think earned all state?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:24 am

rock83 wrote:Some of the sophomores that lost in the regional were chosen over outstanding juniors and seniors that went to state. These kids also had great regular seasons but were not chosen. Example: The napoleon girl chosen over the Linton HMB girl. The grant county girl chosen over either of the washburn girls? Just curious. I know the linton girl had a nice year even though linton did struggle at times although with a tough schedule.
Central Valley, you guys had a fun team to watch and you guys have to be excited. I am not taking anything away from them, I just thought Beach as a whole were better than most teams.

Both Dewald and Bentz deserve to be on this list, I would say they were the best players in their region (except for Long in the case of Bentz)
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:26 am

rock83 wrote:Some of the sophomores that lost in the regional were chosen over outstanding juniors and seniors that went to state. These kids also had great regular seasons but were not chosen. Example: The napoleon girl chosen over the Linton HMB girl. The grant county girl chosen over either of the washburn girls? Just curious. I know the linton girl had a nice year even though linton did struggle at times although with a tough schedule.

Did you ever see Bentz play for Grant County? She is very deserving of this honor..even over those Washburn girls. IMO, Bentz was the 2nd best player in that region (behind Shauna Long). Bentz meant alot to her teams success this past season (stats and leadership).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby rock83 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:38 am

Saw her play, very good player. But its an award for this year. How about the Washburn girls? What were your reason for leaving them off?
rock83
NDPreps Starter

Next

Return to Girls